Code of Conduct

Default Imagine this scene...What would you wear?

Time: early-mid 1930's
    You: working class male; fisherman/factory worker; employed

It is Friday night, the end of a long week. You just got paid and you have a hot date at the jazz club--great music, maybe some dancing, maybe some drinks, and the one your heart beats for.

In preparation for the night, you have just shaved and your best threads are ready. You reach for your scent for the night...what is it?
    You are not your perfume.

Default Re: Imagine this scene...What would you wear?

Jockey Club C&M, is possible a big joint of marihuana too?
    Last edited by Dry_Martini; 23rd October 2007 at 08:25 PM.
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Domenico Caraceni,Great Jones Bond N9,G.Trumper Wild Fern

Guerlain's monsieur de monsieur.

Does it have to be a scent from that time period? If so, then Caron PuH or Vintage Tabarome.
    Last edited by knightowl; 23rd October 2007 at 08:26 PM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Either Caron Pour Un Homme (1934) or Le Dandy (1923)....

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Does it have to be a scent from that time period? If so, then Caron PuH or Vintage Tabarome.
    I was looking for a scent from that time, yes; something that such a character would have worn.

Aqua Velva Ice Blue.......

Fragrance On,

Otto

Thrax

Acqua di Parma Colonia

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Yes! That is what I am looking for.

These are some great suggestions. Cheers.

For that era, I'd go with a Sandalwood cologne blend from a local apothocary (assuming we're talking about a big city).

What country are we in?

I'm gonna go with Knize Ten.

Caron PUH.
    "Dont try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

This thread asks such a good question.

I know I risk the wrath of all of you, my Basenotes brethren, but I think so many of the suggestions so far are too highbrow. Go ahead and kill me, you'll be right.

As much as I imagine PUH and AdP Colonia might belong, they're simply too refined and too elegant. Something like them would be right, but it would have to be something much rawer, much simpler, without dimension and without drydown. Drydown that is disappearance only, I mean, no development.

A factory worker, as I see the scene, is going to get the Jovan Musk of his day. It's going to be a splash bottle and it's going to be in the Napoleon-wore-this style. It's going to be 4711 or something heavy to crude lavender, depending on what's available in his industrial neighborhood, not far from the brewery. He uses his scent as a symbol to say I'm-here-for-the-dance rather than a symbol of self-identity (for lack of a better term). He wouldn't mind that other guys at the dance smell the same--they're announcing they're there for the dance too, and he respects that.

I'd sort of like to put him in Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet or MPG's Secret Melange, Eau pour le Jeune Homme, or even Centaur, if the question allowed me to consider any and all scents I know, even ones created after our factory worker is dead, but right as they might be in concept somehow, they're too refined and too individual, too much for marking the wearer from the crowd when my factory worker wants only to mark his day of clean good living from all the dirty bread winning days.

My thoughts.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Inexpensive bay rum aftershave from the corner drug store?

Nothing. All my 1930's working-class friends laughed at me the last time I put on cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Nothing. All my 1930's working-class friends laughed at me the last time I put on cologne.
    Yup...i heard 'em yelling "cologne is for sissy-boys!"

Royal English Leather

2nd the vote for AdP Colonia as well

TNMA
    Last edited by thenmarcher; 24th October 2007 at 01:14 AM.
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I thought you'd get hanged in the 30's if you were a guy that wore cologne....Serious though...I thinking one of the Vintage Creed's...maybe Vetiver or Tabarome.

I don't think factory workers can afford Creeds and AdP, probably not even the Caron.

Only hair tonic would have done -- possibly bay rum in a pinch.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by lasta View Post
    I don't think factory workers can afford Creeds and AdP, probably not even the Caron.
    Yes, maybe true, and some of them might not have been created or produced in the 30's ...but I mean...we're just trying to have some fun and games here.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 24th October 2007 at 02:38 AM.

No cologne, but i'd be smelling like either vodka or red wine. I know i would.

I'm sure plenty of working-class factory workers in the 30s had their special niceties. For that reason, my guess is that such a man had access to either Geo. F. Trumper's Portugal or Fragonard's Zizanie.

Whatever bay rum the local barber brews up, probably.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

said that it's a game with no money boundaries, I'd go with something leathery definitely; probably Knize Ten, or SMN Marescialla

I think we probably take for granted the fact that now we can just do a couple mouse clicks and purchase "rare" or " top-of-the-line" fragrances. Back then, if an average working stiff was even able to find such fragrances, one bottle would probably set him back almost a week's wages.
    Last edited by knightowl; 24th October 2007 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    I think we probably take for granted the fact that now we can just do a couple mouse clicks and purchase "rare" or " top-of-the-line" fragrances. Back then, if an average working stiff was even able to find such fragrances, one bottle would probably set him back almost a week's wages.

Too true. Furthermore, the dizzying array of men's frags we're so used to today would have been unthinkable in the Thirties. Most frags that existed were women's frags or unisex ones, and only a handful of men EVER wore them. Most men made do with (again) hair tonic and/or after-shave (which, btw, was most often bay rum, or perhaps Florida Water).

Many women, too, couldn't even afford Jungle Gardenia and Tabu during the Depression, and they did what my grandmother and her sisters used to do -- they'd daub on a little vanilla extract behind their ears, or orange blossom water if they could get it. Daddy used to talk about how the "black gals" up in Guthrie were fond of a particularly stinky Woolworth's potion called Roman Bath (it was a nickel a bottle in the Forties), and Granddad would reminisce about how his barber Sto over in Minco always "used too much bay rum after he shaved a fella." A friend of mine who's German-American told me that his grandparents and parents up in Wisconsin all used to use 4711, but only on "special occasions."
    (Yikes! I'd hate to imagine THAT Lutheran Jell-0 supper! Wouldn't you?)

First time (it was back in the Eighties, I think) I ever wore a lot of scent around my 91 year-old grandfather, he declared, "Lordy, Lordy, Lordy -- somebody went a little wild with the hair tonic!"
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 24th October 2007 at 11:31 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post

Too true. Furthermore, the dizzying array of men's frags we're so used to today would have been unthinkable in the Thirties. Most frags that existed were women's frags or unisex ones, and only a handful of men EVER wore them. Most men made do with (again) hair tonic and/or after-shave (which, btw, was most often bay rum, or perhaps Florida Water).

Many women, too, couldn't even afford Jungle Gardenia and Tabu during the Depression, and they did what my grandmother and her sisters used to do -- they'd daub on a little vanilla extract behind their ears, or orange blossom water if they could get it. Daddy used to talk about how the "black gals" up in Guthrie were fond of a particularly stinky Woolworth's potion called Roman Bath (it was a nickel a bottle in the Forties), and Granddad would reminisce about how his barber Sto over in Minco always "used too much bay rum after he shaved a fella." A friend of mine who's German-American told me that his grandparents and parents up in Wisconsin all used to use 4711, but only on "special occasions."
    (Yikes! I'd hate to imagine THAT Lutheran Jell-0 supper! Wouldn't you?)

First time (it was back in the Eighties, I think) I ever wore a lot of scent around my 91 year-old grandfather, he declared, "Lordy, Lordy, Lordy -- somebody went a little wild with the hair tonic!"
    I think I would like to meet your family
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Yardley's Brillantine, of course.
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

These are some really fantastic answers.

True, I don't think such a worker would be able to afford Creed or Caron (a fisherman might, though), but I was looking more towards a style, a moment. And hey, you never know. If this worker was a sort of proto-Basenoter, he might 'ave squandered a month's pay for a Caron or a Creed.

Bay Rum, 4711, "the Jovan Musk of his time", Knize Ten, hair tonic (yes!!) and all of the rest, are great suggestions. I just think that it is fun to try to match a scent to a time or a feeling.

So, who is up for the next scene? Your choice.
    Last edited by Nicolas V; 24th October 2007 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas V View Post

So, who is up for the next scene? Your choice.
    K -- you're an Anglo-Indian schoolteacher (male) in India in the Twenties (during the Raj). You are intimately aware of both cultures (English and Indian). You are at least bilingual, and fairly well educated. You have enough discretionary income to have a decent array of European frags to choose from, not to mention a dizzying assortment of exotic, native Indian scents. What do you wear?

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Wow. Quite the departure from the factory worker. Great choice!

I am thinking of three scents: Blenheim Bouquet for the English/European and Jannah al-Firdaws or pure Rose attar for the Indian.