Code of Conduct

Default What do you guys think about Bowling Green?

Hey guys,
    What about this Classic? Pleasant powerhouse? Grassy, lemony or orangey?
    Any resemblance with Guerlain Vetiver? or it's minty as Lacoste original?!

Default Re: What do you guys think about Bowling Green?

Lovely little citrus -- one of the longest lasting ones out there, too. AND a great buy!

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs View Post
    Hey guys,
    What about this Classic? Pleasant powerhouse? Grassy, lemony or orangey?
    Any resemblance with Guerlain Vetiver? or it's minty as Lacoste original?!
    I love Bowling Green (I wore it as a teen - I think I went through 2 bottles). It is NOT a classic. It's a nice, lemony grassy scent. Not orangey. NOT like Guerlain Vetiver (which is smoky and...well it smells like vetiver NOT grass). I would not consider BG 'minty' but the effect the lemon and grass notes give are just as uplifting and refreshing as mint. Plus, like Matt said, it's crazy cheap.

Get it!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I always felt it was rather like DEVIN by Aramis which I liked better but I did use both in my youth. If you like green frags it is worth having on hand.

Wow, It seems to be like... Eau Sauvage? or... YSL pour homme?!

Green, cut grass, lavender.... very nice, very fresh. Not an important classic like Grey Flannel, perhaps, but good!

It opens with citrus and juniper -- to me it smells like a gin gimlet: Tanqueray and Rose's Lime with a mint sprig in it. It's refreshing. I don't get a grassy smell, but I do get a lot of green -- herbals and conifers. Woody drydown. Very long lasting fragrance and one that's as strong or weak as the amount you apply. Very inexpensive and a good deal, but only if you like things sharp, bright, and cheery -- citrus and conifer / mint.

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus View Post
    It opens with citrus and juniper -- to me it smells like a gin gimlet: Tanqueray and Rose's Lime with a mint sprig in it. It's refreshing. I don't get a grassy smell, but I do get a lot of green -- herbals and conifers. Woody drydown. Very long lasting fragrance and one that's as strong or weak as the amount you apply. Very inexpensive and a good deal, but only if you like things sharp, bright, and cheery -- citrus and conifer / mint.
    Ok, Foetidus, but the green smell is more similar to Gucci Nobile's one (mainly herbal) or the eau sauvage's drydown (woody)? Is the green start just a brief introduction to the woody drydown?

I was considering this one recently and pleased to see it being discussed.
    Smelled this once in the early 90's and rememeber it smelling very good. Good enough to warrant a purchase if I was after a new fragrance, but I wasn't. I have also read some reviews which compare it to Green Jeans. Don't know how true that is. I smelled Green Jeans once at Perfumania a couple years ago and thought it was ok. Bowling Green generally gets good reviews for it's natural feel while Green Jeans seems to be disliked for it's synthetic feel.
    The question I would like to throw into the mix is if I had Bulgari Extreme (citrus & fir) would it be redundant to have BG?

Another good question: Can BG be considered an old fashioned fragrance nowadays?

I have this up for swap.. I found it quite ordinary!!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    The question I would like to throw into the mix is if I had Bulgari Extreme (citrus & fir) would it be redundant to have BG?
    Bulgari is a little more luxurious of a 'light' scent - Bowling Green is very conservative IMO. Bulgari = Khaki's, Lacoste shirt, leather belt and loafers; Bowling Green = shorts and a t-shirt

Another good question: Can BG be considered an old fashioned fragrance nowadays?
    I don't understand your question RCavs. Are you asking if BG smells 'old fashioned'? My answer is no. Or are you asking will other people think BG smells 'old fashioned'? My answer is who cares, if you like it wear it.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 25th October 2007 at 04:15 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

IMHO Bowling Green is well made, but it's very Conservative. An irony free fragrance, good for a stroll down 1980's, memory lane. If you want to smell like a gynecologist on a golf vacation, I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus View Post

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'll add that it is very versatile as well.

Ok, Foetidus, but the green smell is more similar to Gucci Nobile's one (mainly herbal) or the eau sauvage's drydown (woody)? Is the green start just a brief introduction to the woody drydown?
    Gucci Nobile is more refined and its green is more of a balanced non-bright herbal green mellowed by a little bit of lavender. Bowling Green is brighter - I think I smell a bit of verbena in there that holds on while the citruses fade out. There's a little basil in BG too, but what continues on on my skin is a coniferous - juniper - greenness which is supported by mint - not a bitter mint, but a bright, light mint like spearmint. I'm not sure that I would call it woody at any stage because the coniferous note is of juniper leaves (or gin berries) more than of juniper wood, and I get a substantial oakmoss with the gin berries in the dry down. The mint and basil support the juniper for a long time through the fragrance's long life. In a way, it's quite linear. It's bright opening is not a momentary flash - the fragrance stays lively through its life span, reduced only a little by the oakmoss, but reduced more by time.

So, even though they are both green, I don't find Gucci Nobile and Bowling Green very similar. Gucci Nobile is more refined and elegant and of lower vibrations, while Bowling Green is brighter, and, applied a bit more heavily (but be careful, it can be lethal ), BG is casual. Used lightly -as almost a skin scent -- it can pass for a formal, elegant scent in the manner of the more expensive cedar fragrances, and it might probably last longer than the cedar / cypress ones.

On my skin Bowling Green isn't conservative. Though I love the smell, I often pass it by because I find it projects too much and is entirely too noticable. In that sense it is old fashioned, but I don't think it has the tell-tale notes and accords that sceam "'80s."
    Last edited by foetidus; 25th October 2007 at 10:56 PM. Reason: added thoughts.

Great Review, Foetidus! Thanks!