Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Santalum by Profumum & sandalwood memories

Sandalwood and I have a history.

I used to buy sandalwood essential oil because I wanted to impress a friend (actually it was my best friend at the time, and I had a crush on him...he was interested in girls and not in me). He wore sandalwood oil, two drops on each palm and rubbed into his hair. It lasted forever, it seemed. When we'd be hanging out, sometimes I'd borrow his caps and the smell of sandalwood would fill my nose. I never seemed, atleast to myself, to be able to 'pull it off' in quite the same way as he did.

Another time in my life, I listed to a lot of alternative/industrial music and (this is before I was a DJ) I used to sneak out of my parents house at night to go out dancing. I remember wearing sandalwood one night (I had overapplied it) to a club that was pretty lame...noone was there except the DJ, me and the bartenders...I got kinda lost getting there and the lit, smoky, loud dancefloor was empty except for me. Perhaps it was The Cure, or maybe it was a Nitzer Ebb song. What I do remember distinctly is getting back into my car to leave and playing a Cocteau Twins cd while the smell of sandalwood filled my car.

About a month ago, I came upon the sample of Santalum by Profumum. When I applied it, I was more interested in the cinnamon (it had been recommended to me here on the boards), and I honestly wasn't really focused on the sandalwood when I applied it - but the olfactory memories started flowing...coupled with a strong respect and fascination for a sandalwood scent that's so well done.

Santalum is very linear - so if you're looking for a complex sandalwood based scent, look elsewhere. But the Profumum line delivers such uncompromising and honest interpretations in their fragrances - and Santalum sparse notes (sandalwood, myrrh and cinnamon) combine and balance each other out wonderfully. Santalum is everything that Tam Dao is not. It's dark, shadowy, dusty - I kept getting the visual image of a rusty car in a backyard. No smoke. The myrrh is not too incens-y (hope that makes sense...). The cinnamon isn't of the Cinnamon roll variety. The sandalwood note is deep, reassuring and dirty/spicy while simultaneously being calm/sweet.

The sillage and longevity are above average - and so is the price tag of the juice ($195 for the 100ml bottle at Luckyscent).

I will savor my decant bottle of this (thanks sis' [Comdiva]) and be comfortable in the fact that, for now, sandalwood doesn't get any better than this.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Santalum by Profumum & sandalwood memories

Interesting post, I'll have to try that frag sometime. I love sandalwood too, it's probably my favourite fragrance (as long as the oil is high quality... too much adulteration of oils going on right now since real sandalwood is so rare now).

I'm working on a sandalwood + gaiacwood fragrance right now. I love both on their own, but I'm interested to see how I can get them to mix.

I'm still looking for the perfect sandalwood and I guess I will have to try this one then. Nice write up

Best sandalwood I've tried, hands down. Nice review as always Mike!
    Didn't realize you were a DJ too, we really are Wonder Twins lol

Great review, Mike, including the backstory. Makes me want to try Santalum and also a good pure sandalwood oil!
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rentboy View Post
    Best sandalwood I've tried, hands down. Nice review as always Mike!
    Didn't realize you were a DJ too, we really are Wonder Twins lol
    Yes - when I win the lottery I will buy 10 bottles of each Profumum fragrance. I can dream, right?

And yes, good music and good scents go hand-in-hand, no?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

You're so right about Santalum and superior quality. One level up from that IMO is Sandlewood, Mysore - "absolute"/from CB I HATE PERFUME A little dab a do ya and it's great for a pure base to layer upon.

This thread deserves a bump. Loved the little story about your youth and sandalwood.

Do you have the Santalum in the dark brown/black or the paler yellow juice?

AromiErotici

Terrific scent and linear like Mike stated. Total comfort scent to me. Love it.....but it's expensive and also getting hard to find if you want the dark version.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    This thread deserves a bump. Loved the little story about your youth and sandalwood.

Do you have the Santalum in the dark brown/black or the paler yellow juice?
    I have a decant of the dark.

The bottle is dwindling...only probably about 2 full wearings left. I'll most likely save them for next Fall/Winter.

In the meantime I'm exploring the sandalwood recommendations that you all gave me in the 'Where is the sandalwood' thread I posted a while ago.

Plus I have some sandalwood essential oils I'm playing around with - trying to get my nose attenuated to all of the facets of this wonderful wood.

Great memory thread, Mike.

Sandalwood has been an addictive "hook" note for me for as long as I've been aware of fragrance.

Mike, have you ever tried Alba by Profumum? It's another one that has sandalwood as the major player, from the notes. Going by the description (Luckyscent), however, it does not seem to the have the pure and linear heart that Santalum does. Just curious.
    J.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The sillage and longevity [of Santalum] are above average - and so is the price tag of the juice ($195 for the 100ml bottle at Luckyscent).
    Wow, I thought the price had actually come down. Then I noticed the post was a year and a half old. This juice has gone up in price %15 per year!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Mike, have you ever tried Alba by Profumum? It's another one that has sandalwood as the major player, from the notes. Going by the description (Luckyscent), however, it does not seem to the have the pure and linear heart that Santalum does. Just curious.
    J.
    No never tried Alba. I'm making my way through the whole line one-by-one. I'm scared to fall in love with another one (Acqua Viva and Thundra were love at first sniff).
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 10th March 2009 at 07:33 PM.

I received my decant of the very dark brown juice and it's totally different than the new stuff in the pale yellow. The lighter juice is drier with a lot more myrrh and possibly cinnamon. The darker juice has this really funny overly fruity sweetness that's just slightly dry. It smells a bit like papaya.

Mike, what do you think? Is my nose busted?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I received my decant of the very dark brown juice and it's totally different than the new stuff in the pale yellow. The lighter juice is drier with a lot more myrrh and possibly cinnamon. The darker juice has this really funny overly fruity sweetness that's just slightly dry. It smells a bit like papaya.

Mike, what do you think? Is my nose busted?
    Papaya? Well, it has a very funky myrrh note, I guess one could say it approximates that 'off' smell that tropical fruits smell of sometimes. Do you smell the phantom papaya note in the top notes or at the base notes?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Do you smell the phantom papaya note in the top notes or at the base notes?
    Mostly in the topnotes, but I have to say, it also lasts well into the drydown. As you said, it's fairly linear. I actually like the pale yellow juice more. It's drier with the myrrh and the sweetness of the cinnamon is more amplified.

It may not be papaya but I get this tropical fruit sweetness through out the evolution of the scent.

Has anyone else sampled (and your thoughts) both the older darker and the newer lighter Santalum?

No-one?