Code of Conduct

Question The paria of perfumes?

I have been thinking about why so many 'popular' (elsewhere!) best-selling scents seldom or never are mentioned here. To name a few that comes to my mind right now:
    5th Avenue, Ardenbeauty, all the scents from Boss, Estee, Pleasures, Beautiful (Lauder), most scents from Calvin Klein etc. -and there are so many more!!!
    Is there really nobody who ever wears 5th Avenue or Hugo Deep Red as their SotD?
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Default Re: The paria of perfumes?

I wear Beautiful...if that helps?
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

You are not alone, ladies! 5th Avenue was my office staple (when I worked in an office!), Pleasures was my wedding day scent, and Estee I ran out of recently. Saw Hugo Deep Red many times at the discount store but did not buy it because there was something else I needed more! CK Be's time is yet to come -- when it is cold outside I enjoy it!

Beautiful is not that beautiful for me any longer after a co-worker overdosed us all during the dog days of last summer: she is working for another company now, but for me it is HER scent. Honestly, I am afraid of it!

And, musse, if you can come up with some other names -- everybody knows and no one mentions -- PM me, we will see what we can do with the info! (Seems like 2008 will NOT be for Birthday Teasers only!)
    Last edited by Twolf; 15th October 2007 at 10:11 PM.

I wear various versions of CK Eternity from time to time. My current bottle is Eternity Moment, which I'm not thrilled with, but I love the discontinued Eternity Rose Blush. I also have a strong appreciation for Arden's Provocative Woman, which I wear in sample form sometimes.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Gees, Kotori and I have yet another freaky parallel thing going. As I've mentioned recently, Eternity has become my turn-to object fragrancer: pillowcase, toilet paper, sleeves of my sweatshirt. But it doesn't work for me on my skin. Kotori, however, has sugar skin, which sweetens scents.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by musse View Post
    I have been thinking about why so many 'popular' (elsewhere!) best-selling scents seldom or never are mentioned here. To name a few that comes to my mind right now:
    5th Avenue, Ardenbeauty, all the scents from Boss, Estee, Pleasures, Beautiful (Lauder), most scents from Calvin Klein etc. -and there are so many more!!!
    Is there really nobody who ever wears 5th Avenue or Hugo Deep Red as their SotD?
    The only one of these that i wear on a regular basis is Pleasures, and the Blue version to boot.
    The rest, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Kotori, however, has sugar skin, which sweetens scents.
    Kotori and me both! This means that I find quite a lot of the EL scents rather hard to wear (love Azuree, though; the sweetness in that is a very rich sweetness which I find very attractive). I have Hugo Woman, which I quite like, but I don't think I've worn it in at least a couple of years; it's simply not as good as most of my other perfumes. Eternity reminds me of being a teenager. Feeling like a teenager is a feeling I try to avoid as much as possible...

I wear the ltd Pleasures with the extra peony note sometimes, but not since the early summer. Another scent I hear of very rarely on BN is YSL Paris in all of its manifestations, but have been toying with the Jardins Romantique version.

I have a few older EA scents, and still wear vintage Blue Grass, but rarely. I also used to enjoy EA Eau Fraiche, haven't seen that on years.

I wear Paris quite a lot - I like to layer it with the bubble bath and the moisturising lotion. It's lovely and easy to wear, and very youthful and pretty.

Speaking of roses we don't hear much about, what about Ombre Rose? I was planning on getting a bottle for my MIL to go with her other Christmas presents - she has remarked several times how much she likes it when I've worn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezeweasel View Post
    Eternity reminds me of being a teenager. Feeling like a teenager is a feeling I try to avoid as much as possible...
    Ah, Eternity for Men reminds me of my first love, when I was a teenager, so I often have a little squirt when I'm at the perfume counter. Does that count as wanting to be reminded of being a teenager?

I promise I wasn't hankering for being vast mood swings thatnks to being hormonally super-charged and constantly worrying about what to wear/do/listen to/etc in case I strayed from the knife edge of fashion (indie/hippy fashion in my case). God it was exhausting!

I dont understand the separation with these categories. Why is it not cool to wear Boss but cool to wear Armani or Gucci? Is it uncool to wear Clinique Happy? What about my Tesco specials? Yardley?
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezeweasel View Post
    I wear Paris quite a lot - I like to layer it with the bubble bath and the moisturising lotion. It's lovely and easy to wear, and very youthful and pretty.

Speaking of roses we don't hear much about, what about Ombre Rose? I was planning on getting a bottle for my MIL to go with her other Christmas presents - she has remarked several times how much she likes it when I've worn it.
    I love Ombre Rose. They're doing big gift sets of it in Hoopers at the moment.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Sometimes I love to wear Provocative woman...and even more Attraction.Not very often mentioned here.

Umm....Youth Dew?
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Amazing Grace, by Philosophy!

::looks around sheepishly::

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

I've been thinking about getting some Yardley and also Chantilly, which I used to wear as a teen. Some of the EDT's at B&BW look interesting, too. $18.50, buy three get one free.

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    I've been thinking about getting some Yardley and also Chantilly, which I used to wear as a teen. Some of the EDT's at B&BW look interesting, too. $18.50, buy three get one free.
    I have a great vintage bottle of Chantilly that is actually rather wonderful, now that you mention it!
    Last edited by Zibeline; 17th October 2007 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Umm....Youth Dew?
    Happen to like Youth Dew but that sillage...... So, most of the time I only use the bodylotion for an evening shower. And even that one lasts till the next morning.

Pleasures: loved it, bought the 'Intense' version and am still wondering why on earth I did that. Normal Pleasures was better.

I owned 5th Avenue and Hugo Deep Red when I joined BN, so I will probably have had it as a SotD. Nothing wrong with these fragrances but they were just not the type of 'can't live without them', so I never replaced them.

I think it was Lievje who had as signature something like: "So many fragrances, only one skin"
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

I love Estee Lauder perfumes. Pleasures is my fav and I'm never without a bottle of it. As a matter of fact, it's getting close to that time of the year when I rack up on gift sets. I always get my Estee Lauder around Christmas or Mother's Day. They always have nice gift sets.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Oh yeah, I've been tentative about mentioning my Estee Lauder favorites: Youth Dew and Knowing. I'm braver about my taste for Private Collection because it is sufficiently strange (with that buggy top note) and less commonly seen on the fragrance counter.
    Paloma Picasso often receives eye-rolls, but I don't care. I still like it.

I really like Youth Dew - it's on the 'to purchase' list. I was in a discount perfume place with a friend a few months back, and we were transported back to the 1980s when we sniffed the Paloma Picasso; I enjoy that too.

Dislike all the EA's. Did like Blue Grass long ago for a short while.

Not a fan of Lauder, do like Private Collection and my mother wore Youth Dew.

Calvin Klein sorry the man should have been strangled at birth!

I get on better with Donna Karan. Cashmere Mist, Black Cashmere and Signature. Not DKNY nor Gold.
    DONNA

Basenotes Institution

I think that many Estee Lauder scents are enjoyed by Basenoters - I just think that there are more exciting, new, niche and luxury scents that are available to us and these sometimes get the most 'talk' on the boards.

My fav EL scents are Private Collection (parfum), White Linen and Youth Dew Amber Nude (Tom Ford).

Another line that I see all the time in the fragrance counters and then don't hear any talk about here on the boards is Baby Phat. I don't know if this is because it's horrible or some other reason. It's just that I wonder, who's wearing all of this Baby Phat perfume!?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    It's just that I wonder, who's wearing all of this Baby Phat perfume!?
    Couldn't tell you, I'd never wear a perfume named Baby Phat and neither would my teenage niece, who is struggling with a weight problem like so many other young people these days. She also likes to consider herself a junior adult, rather than a child, I guess that's because she is.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Another line that I see all the time in the fragrance counters and then don't hear any talk about here on the boards is Baby Phat. I don't know if this is because it's horrible or some other reason. It's just that I wonder, who's wearing all of this Baby Phat perfume!?
    I don't know who's wearing it. Not me. I tried Golden Goddess for the heck of it and it was truly one of the worst things I've smelled. Typical fruity-floral with no personality and plasticky notes.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Quote Originally Posted by musse View Post
    I wore 5th Avenue briefly - my aunt was in love with it and she introduced me to it when it frist came out - it made me feel so grown up then.

Also had a bottle of Ardenbeauty which I ended up giving away - wore it only a few times.

Today I'm wearing Casmir, does that count?
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

I have a few bottles of popular scents that stare at me from my closet, taunting me, because I bought them in a frenzy and just never wear them. WEAR. WAIT. BUY. has become my new mantra. If I can't get something out of my head after a week or so and copious sampling. THEN it's time to go.

That, or it has really really good reviews and it's non-reformulated and/or discontinued and it's on eBay or on sale or I just really really want it.

Impulse control is not my strong suit.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

I've just scored a bottle of Blue Grass for very cheap. I thought 'what the hell?' and bought it unsniffed. And it's great. I really like it. I think that if you put it in a vial and included it in a blind sniff, people would be surprised.

So I am about to post my SOTD as Blue Grass by Elizabeth Arden and yah boo sucks to anyone who thinks less of me for it!
    ;-)
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

My mom always used Blue Grass sachet in her lingere drawer. It smelled lovely, and I always associate it with her and all things feminine.
    One more for the paria list:
    How could I forget?
    Aromatics Elixer
    I love this in small amounts, but an overdose will put me off the stuff like a hangover.
    Wonderful scent, but be careful about doseage.