Code of Conduct

Default Need help over a fragrance disagreement with my wife...

I recently received(thanks again Maksim) a NIB, sealed bottle of Crown Imperial . What a great, citrusy,clean-smelling frag! I loved it and after a shower, hit myself with 6 or 7 sprays of it. I thought it was a classy scent but much to my surprise, as soon as I came downstairs, my wife said; "Why are you wearing White Shoulders ?" I was flabbergasted! I don't know if I've ever smelled WS but I may have years ago as it was a popular women's frag but I do KNOW CI must smell nothing like WS!

Who is correct? Have either of us lost our minds? Could CI smell like a floral WS due to my body chemistry? Should I put my CI up for swap?

I'm going to post this in both the Male and Female Fragrance forums due to it's content.

Dan
    Last edited by Lightninrod; 26th October 2007 at 11:27 AM.
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Thrax

Default Re: Need help over a disagreement with my wife...

Dan,

The best thing to do is to agree with your wife, tell her that you wont wear it again, pack it up, put my address on it, and I'll dispose of it in a appropriate manner for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post
    Dan,

The best thing to do is to agree with your wife, tell her that you wont wear it again, pack it up, put my address on it, and I'll dispose of it in a appropriate manner for you.

When i read the title....i mumbled to myself.. " No one can help you when there is a confrontation with your wife"

Though i am not married but i know very well that ' The wife always wins'.

gupts

Basenotes Institution

Put the bottle away for a couple of weeks.

Next time, spray 1-2 times.

Pray for different results.

If the same thing happens, send Thrax the bottle.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Thanks guys. I should have added the word "fragrance" before the word "disagreement" so as to not frighten any of y'all. I'd change it but you can't edit the title to a thread.

Keep 'em coming but, no way Thrax! It put's out a stunning citrus 'cloud' and I love citrus being from Miami, Florida.

I know, I may have over-sprayed it but I just want to smell it too.... on me.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [/URL]

Its not worth sleeping on the couch for this. Send it to Thrax for humanity's sake.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

summer means fireflys

Default Re: Need help with a disagreement with my wife..

Well you are probably both correct ...

I'm sure Crown Imperial doesn't smell a thing like White Shoulders to you, but there must be something in the CI that reminds her of WS in some way. Maybe she just smelled it too fast after the 7 sprays she might have a whole different opinion after the drydown.

but she will never admit to that ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

My response would have been "I'll wear White Shoulders if I wanna...what's it to you?"

...probably why I'm not married.

Default Re: Need help over a fragrance disagreement with my wife...

Should have given thanks in my earlier post to Twolf/AnnaK for PMing me on how to edit the title. Thank you young Lady!

Dan

[/URL]

Spray it on lightly when you know your wife's going to be out for an hour or so, then she'll only get the drydown - maybe she'll feel differently about it.

And if she hates it on you, then either you make Thrax a happy man or you keep your bottle stashed at the back of your wardrobe to wear when your wife is away, just for your solitary pleasure. My god, what a thought "that's my special cologne that I wear when I'm on my own..." am I the only one who thinks that's a teeeeny bit disturbing?
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    My god, what a thought "that's my special cologne that I wear when I'm on my own..." am I the only one who thinks that's a teeeeny bit disturbing?
    Depends on what else he's wearing while the wife's away.

But seriously folks, White Shoulders has a lot of gardenia in it, doesn't it? Does Crown Imperial have any white flowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Depends on what else he's wearing while the wife's away.

But seriously folks, White Shoulders has a lot of gardenia in it, doesn't it? Does Crown Imperial have any white flowers?
    Yes. The thrust of my post was to find out whether there are any similarities in the two frags in the member's minds. If there is a connection between the two, I'll acquiesce and apologize to my DW. But.....if no one that's familiar with them doesn't see(smell) a similarity well,......I'll go naner-naner as I spray away!

Dan

[/URL]

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Basenotes says of Crown Imperial: (Crown Perfumery 1905)

Reminscent of the Edwardian barber's shop. A classic citrus eau de cologne with notes of lemon orange and lavender.

Crown Imperial Fragrance Notes

Top Notes Lemon, Orange, Lavender,
    Middle Notes Herbal,
    Base Notes Rich, Musky,

Source #2:
    The culmination of the perfumers art, this classic Eau de Cologne fragrance is reminiscent of the edwardian barber's shop. Crown Imperial has a fresh and herbal accord blending oil of orange, lavender and lemon with a rich powdery background. Lemon, orange and lavender developed with a herbal twist into rich, musky, manly undertones.

White Shoulders Notes: (Elizabeth Arden 1945 originally by Evyan)

Source #1:

Top Notes: Sandalwood, amber, patchouli, incense
    Heart Notes: Gardenia, jasmine, orris, lily of the valley, rose, lilac
    Base Notes: Sandalwood, amber, musk, oakmoss

Source #2:

Featuring sweet top notes of neroli, bergamot and peach. With floral middle notes of jasmine, rose, tuberose, clove, lily and orris. Plus, lasting base notes of sandalwood, civet, musk, amber and moss. A sophisticated fragrance that's ideal for evening and formal wear.
    Last edited by kbe; 26th October 2007 at 09:38 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod View Post
    I'll go naner-naner as I spray away!

Reckon you can naner-naner as much as you like!
    Maybe your wife's seeing a comparison in the richness and powderiness of the frags, but it's all in her head.

Good news for you, a bummer for Thrax!
    :-)
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    My response would have been "I'll wear White Shoulders if I wanna...what's it to you?"

...probably why I'm not married.
    Oh, hey. I agree. And I am married.
    So, what's wrong with smelling like White Shoulders anyway?
    If I had to please my husband with my fragrance choice, all I would ever wear was Mennon Green Deodorant.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Basenotes says of Crown Imperial: (Crown Perfumery 1905)

Reminscent of the Edwardian barber's shop. A classic citrus eau de cologne with notes of lemon orange and lavender.

Crown Imperial Fragrance Notes

Top Notes Lemon, Orange, Lavender,
    Middle Notes Herbal,
    Base Notes Rich, Musky,

Source #2:
    The culmination of the perfumers art, this classic Eau de Cologne fragrance is reminiscent of the edwardian barber's shop. Crown Imperial has a fresh and herbal accord blending oil of orange, lavender and lemon with a rich powdery background. Lemon, orange and lavender developed with a herbal twist into rich, musky, manly undertones.

White Shoulders Notes: (Elizabeth Arden 1945 originally by Evyan)

Source #1:

Top Notes: Sandalwood, amber, patchouli, incense
    Heart Notes: Gardenia, jasmine, orris, lily of the valley, rose, lilac
    Base Notes: Sandalwood, amber, musk, oakmoss

Source #2:

Featuring sweet top notes of neroli, bergamot and peach. With floral middle notes of jasmine, rose, tuberose, clove, lily and orris. Plus, lasting base notes of sandalwood, civet, musk, amber and moss. A sophisticated fragrance that's ideal for evening and formal wear.
    Source #1 is incorrect. Basically, it smells like a white floral on me, not citrus at all. I used to wear White Shoulders in high school.
    Last edited by beachroses; 27th October 2007 at 03:25 PM.