Code of Conduct

Default New Jil Sander Man, mini-review

Ok, first off, Jil Sander is not the house with the most creative names: Jil Sander Man Pure, Jil Sander Man II, Feeling for Man, Sander for man, Pure Man, etc,etc.
    But I admit always have liked her fragrances , her first one, Sander for Man by J.Cavallier. Feeling man.Liked Background a lot.

Anyway, I sampled the new Jil Sander Man.
    It's not inventive or anything, but it's a warm,comfortable scent.
    Do I like it? yes. Will most BN ers find it boring, yes.
    BUT fans of Annick Menardo will like it. Think of Visit (I think it's the blue cedar and the mirre in it) combined with the drydown of Bulgari Black. It has Annick Menardo written all over it.The bottle is nice, a dark blue cube.

Anyone else tried it?
    Last edited by eric; 26th October 2007 at 08:28 PM.

Default Re: New Jil Sander Man, mini-review

Where did you find it to try? Thanks.

It's in shops here. It's released at the same time as the new Calvin Klein Man.

Looks like it also has inherited Bulgari's Black's poor longevity longevity. Too bad. It's not a bad release at all.
    Last edited by eric; 26th October 2007 at 08:29 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I agree - the Jil Sander mens fragrance names are positively schizophrenic. I think this is mostly why I've steered clear of the line and never smelled any of them at all. I'm afraid when I see a bottle, stop, try it and love it - that by the time I get home, I'll get the name confused and buy the wrong one.

Scentemental loves Ms. Menardo's creations - I'm not sure if he's given JSM a once-over?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

If I wanted to make a point about the decline and fall of designer perfumes in the late 20th and early 21st century I would set Jil Sander Man (2007) against Jil Sander Man Pure (1981). No further words would be necessary. It smells like a few generic synthetics thrown together in half an hour - then diluted 1:500 to really make it pay. All that's left from the beauty of past Sander fragrances is the bottle, the content is virtually a nonentity, just about as irrelevant as Britney Spears lyrics.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Will try it when I see it in stores. But it's sad to watch this decline. Recent releases from Sander were so bland. And oldish scents are impossible to find.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    If I wanted to make a point about the decline and fall of designer perfumes in the late 20th and early 21st century I would set Jil Sander Man (2007) against Jil Sander Man Pure (1981). No further words would be necessary. It smells like a few generic synthetics thrown together in half an hour - then diluted 1:500 to really make it pay. All that's left from the beauty of past Sander fragrances is the bottle, the content is virtually a nonentity, just about as irrelevant as Britney Spears lyrics.
    Good post! Well said.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

I think this repeating of names is some kind of German Artistic Expressionist thing...

Another German house Hugo Boss is know for doing this. Boss 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, you get the idea.

I am very interested in this scent and do hope it makes an appearance here in the USA.

I also hope to give this a test drive.....Feeling Man and Background are my 2 faves from this house.
    Gary

I used to like Sander for Men quite a bit until I found Creed Green Valley, which is a similar type of scent with the Creed being much better.

I snagged a bottle of Sander Sport for Men (or whatever it's called). I like it quite a bit for casual wearing. It's very basic and simple. Some pepper and some citrus and something a bit like what you find in Boss #1. This fragrance reminds me a lot of a favorite uncle to used to wear Boss #1-- though this doesn't smell dated like #1.

If you're looking for something clean, minimal, unfussy and yet with a bit of something unplaceable but familiar-- try the Sport. I like the bottle as well.

I still did not try this one yet.

However, I notice that lately they produce wonderful bottles, like this one, or Encre Noir, or CD Homme Extreme. I would expect that the liquid corresponds with the quality of the bottle. Do others notice this trend also?

Actually, there was a thread about best bottles somewhere here.