Code of Conduct

Default Jo Malone anyone?

We don't hear much about this English perfumer on here, but as I have just received her new catalogue I thought I'd see if any of you use her products and, if so, which are
    your favourites.
    Enclosed was a sample of the new White Jasmine and Mint. It is very refreshing, elegant
    and slightly eccentric (in an English Country Garden kind of way.) I am tempted by the Pomegranate Noir or the French Lime Blossom, but they are very expensive!!
    Help me resist....

Default Re: Jo Malone anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    We don't hear much about this English perfumer on here, but as I have just received her new catalogue I thought I'd see if any of you use her products and, if so, which are
    your favourites.
    Enclosed was a sample of the new White Jasmine and Mint. It is very refreshing, elegant
    and slightly eccentric (in an English Country Garden kind of way.) I am tempted by the Pomegranate Noir or the French Lime Blossom, but they are very expensive!!
    Help me resist....
    JM is very "if you've smelled one...you've smelled them all". A bit of a generalization of course. I found White Jamin & Mint a bit "weak"...but definitely in her style. The only scent that struck me from the line was the Orange Blossom scent (forget what its called exactly). You're right about the price too...quite high for what you get. I guess if I wanted something simplistic and sheer, I'd go for L'Artisan...just my personal opinion though.

I really like Jo Malone. Amber & Lavender and Wild Fig & Cassis are in my permanent rotation. The body products are excellent and a little goes a long way. I love the fact the bath oil can also be worn alone as a fragrance. I do not do well with "mint" in my frags so I'm not a huge fan of the new Jasmine & Mint.
    This is a great time of year to discover this line as there are usually gifts packs of frags available which makes it a relatively economical way to explore the layering concept suggested by this line. Have fun!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

MUST ALWAYS HAVE BLACK VETYVER CAFE! Love its soft, dirty vetyver.
    I got their little promotional, too, and I found the Jasmine/Mint too sharp for my liking. Used to be a fan of Orange Blossom, but got bored. Liked Wild Fig & Cassis, but found Thymes' Fig Leaf & Cassis superior at a lesser cost. I own a decant of Pomegranate Noir. That's got a lot of character (DH calls it "furniture polish)--like a strong potpourri.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Institution

I used to own Pomegranate Noir (traded it, because I couldn't get past the medicinal note) and I own Blue Agava & Caco, Nectarine & Honey Blossom (my favorite) and Ginger & Nutmeg.

I want to try the new one too (I love jasmine and mint) but the reviews I've read don't sound all that promising. But I will still be trying it soon...

Yes, you're right - Jo Malone does get ignored a lot here on Basenotes. Not sure if it's just one of those lines that noone particularly posts about or if it's unisex categorization (it's for men, it's for women - therefore noone's claiming it on the boards) is hindering here at Basenotes. Or some other reason?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Maybe it's just me, but Jo Malone has terrible staying power for me.

I like Orange Blossom as well, a very fresh orange experience.

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    your favourites.
    Help me resist....
    Oh! I love both of the ones you've mentioned you're tempted to buy! But especially the French Lime Blossom. I almost bought it, but then one of my best friends pre-empted me. Hmph.

I don't suppose I'm helping with your effort in resistance.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

I'm not really sure why but I LOVE Blue Agave and Cacoa.

Sorry, but Jo Malone doesn't really work for me

I once owned Black Vetyver Cafe, but I swapped it away. I've tried several others, but none of the newer ones. They have terrible lasting power for me, as well.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

What I like about JM scents is their elegant streamlined simplicity. Yet they are far from boring: the pairings of ingredients are always interesting.

Black Vetyver Cafe and Nutmeg & Ginger are on my wishlist.

Would like to try Pomegranate Noir, 154, Vetyver, Wild Fig & Cassis and Blue Agava & Cacao.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

The first one and the only one I completely fell for is Vintage Gardenia. Right after that is Black Vetyver Cafe, though I rarely wear it along. I usually add it with the gardenia to add spice and warmth to it.
    I also like Orange Blossom, Grapefruit and Amber & Lavender colognes. I find the last two very masculine though. I like them but would prefer to smell them on a man than on myself...
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

I don't think the line's image is geared towards attracting men, unisex frags or not, they come across as light and playful, plus the layering idea seems to turn guys off (we prefer taking apart and putting together cars ). There's so much more interesting macho stuff going on ... like Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    Proof of point: nothing sells better on ebay than Jo Malone, at retail or even higher prices, but yesterday I captured a big bottle of Malone's 154 placed in the men's fragrance category for half price. This is the one most highly recommended over on the Männer forum, together with pomegranate, relatively complex and decently lasting for a JM, they say. I look forward to trying it.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I've tried them (most of them) and found them 'nice, but not enough to buy'...that was my overall reaction. And I agree, the cost is too high. If I'm going to pay a high price for a fragrance, it needs to blow my socks off.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    I've tried them (most of them) and found them 'nice, but not enough to buy'...that was my overall reaction. And I agree, the cost is too high. If I'm going to pay a high price for a fragrance, it needs to blow my socks off.
    The prices of JM are much more reasonable on the other side of Atlantics, especially when there is some kind of beauty event going on.
    Last edited by Ascella; 28th October 2007 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascella View Post
    The prices of JM are much more reasonable on the other side of Atlantics, especially when there is some kind of beauty event going on.
    That's intresting. I must admit, with the exchange rate being as it is, I'd really love to go wild in the 'States buying perfumes I can't get over here. But I've got a friend going hunting for me next month, so that should be cool. And on that note, I feel a new thread coming on...
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    That's intresting. I must admit, with the exchange rate being as it is, I'd really love to go wild in the 'States buying perfumes I can't get over here. But I've got a friend going hunting for me next month, so that should be cool. And on that note, I feel a new thread coming on...
    With the Saks 15% off sale this weekend, several of my friends bought JM bottles .

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Would like to try Pomegranate Noir, 154, Vetyver, Wild Fig & Cassis and Blue Agava & Cacao.
    Excellent taste as always Tigs. With the exception of Vetyver, the aforementioned are the ones of which I own bottles. I have tested and worn over half the line and found Pomegranate Noir, 154, Wild Fig & Cassis and Blue Agava & Cacao as my personal favorites.

I introduced the line to a former paramour and she preferred Orange Blossom and Tuberose. I highly recommend testing these two. JM's Tuberose is a distant second to MPG Tubereuse IMO but it inspires desire nonetheless.

Pomegranate Noir is a boozy, raspberry/plum/patchouli-infused, woody scent that reminds me of CdG Sequoia.

154 is a variation on a classic masculine template (herbs and woods) that never becomes powdery or soapy. Clean, woody, herbaceous and satisfying. Jo Malone designed it for her husband but works for women as well.

Blue Agava & Cacao is one of the most interesting. Light, sweet, mix of chocolate, caradamon, and tequila. Odd and interesting, yet recommended.

Wild Fig & Cassis reminds me of a slightly more earthy Philosykos. The fig is very prominent and masterfully blended with hyacinth, cassis, and cedar.

Longevity is not much of an issue with me. I usually observe about 6-8 hours. Sillage is low to moderate. After the first 2-4 hours, JM scents tend to wear very close to the skin.

I actually smelled the new one when I went to try the Gucci. I thought it smelled very pretty. I didn't try any on though. I'm gonna try it when I give the Gucci a 2nd test run. When I smelled it, I was surprised to learn the it was called Jasmine & Mint, because I didn't detect the mint at all. I am still new at identifying my notes though. I was thinking that it would smell like someone wearing flowers and chewing a fresh stick of doublemint gum. I actually liked it. I usually don't go for florals, but I'm starting to like them.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ayala View Post
    The first one and the only one I completely fell for is Vintage Gardenia.
    Oh, yes, forgot VG. Not my style of fragrance, but was still wowed by its quality and potency.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I found JM just last night when I googled "Grapefruit cologne". Hopped over to ebay and I purchased a mixed sampler where I got to choose the scents. I chose Grapefruit, Orange Blossom and Amber & lavender. I'm mainly interested in the Grapefruit though and hope it satisfies my citrus craving.

Thanks for all your interesting replies. I think I may refrain
    from purchasing anything just yet. Interesting to read that
    JM comes up on e-bay so often. Not a great sign!!

JM are known for having short longevity, but they're usually very vibrant and alive. My favourites are Pomegranate Noir which is an EDC but is extremely intense and it's something everyone should try. I get alot of compliments from it (once it calms down a bit - once I went to the pharmacy right after putting it on, and the cashier chastized the janitor for putting way to much cleaning solvent in his bucket ... I'm pretty sure it was just me she was smelling). Black Vetyver Cafe is also really great and I've been looking to swap for it for awhile. The others are more fruity and feminine, but still special.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Love, love, love JM Nectarine Blossom!!! Layered with Vintage Gardenia... I am in a heaven on earth! But, only I am in that heaven. Sillage is fleeting and longevity is not in JM's vocabulary. But for a fresh spritz and a total personal "fraga-foo-foo"... JM is my go-to juice on any day when I feel like I need a clear note, a clear expectation... and no frickin' surprises.
    Bel Respiro, I adore you... but my heart belongs to another.

My Wife has quite a wardrobe, but one of the scents I continue to enjoy every time she wears it is JM - Nectarine Blossom & Honey/lasts all day and can be worn any place any time.

I too love Jo Malone, but can't afford much of her line. My fave is Nectarine & Honey. Tantalizingly soft and wonderful. My next purchase will be the new Jasmine & Mint. Have a decant of that one and it's spicy yet clean. Also own Vintage Gardenia...yum! I'm just a simple girl!

I personally find the scent combinations quirky and uninteresting. I owned lime and ??? (can't even remember which scent as they all seem to just blur after awhile) many years ago and gave it away. Obviously, I'm not a fan; I think that if you're looking for light cologne type scents you could find some at the local drugstore that would suit the purpose as well as JM, if not better.

Pomegranate Noir is my signature fragrance. Even though it's EDC it lasts forever and only two sprays suffice. It's for cooler weather though. Every single time I wear this, I get barraged with compliments. A truly beautiful fragrance...
    Dieu prend plaisir dès maintenant à ce que tu fais.
    Qu'en tout temps tes vêtements soient blancs et que le parfum ne manque pas sur ta tête. (Ecclésiaste 9:7-8)