Code of Conduct

Default thinning the collection - advice?

Over the past year or so, I've been in the mood to really thin out my perfume collection. After giving many bottles away, I am left with about 50 fragrances, some in duplicate. I'd ultimately love to have between 10 and 20. I do not consider myself a collector; I purchase scent to wear it, however, I admit that I have fallen into the trap of "oh, this fragrance is being discontinued / reformulated; I had better stock up" - even though it's not my holy grail by any means. I've hoarded,, and it makes me a bit disgusted with myself.

I wear fragrance based on mood, and really enjoy revisiting frags that I haven't worn in awhile - it's like experiencing the frag new all over again.

Also, I have a strange dichotomy: at times, I shun scents that can be readily purchased from the nearby dept store, no matter how beautiful and well crafted (Hermes, Bvlgari, etc), snootily thinking that my experience and knowledge base with fragrance should catapult me out of the dept store category. On the other hand, there is something thrilling about the security, accessibility and simplicity of just going to the mall and selecting your favorite of the bunch. Also, I've realized that sometimes, the thrill of the chase is just too much. My biggest chased down scent: Jolie Madame perfume formulation found about 3 years ago, and I haven't worn it yet because now I'm too nervous to use it as it was such a hassle to find.

Those of you who can understand my need to de-clutter, what is your advice, please, on which scents to keep and how to go through this process?

Default Re: thinning the collection - advice?

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post

Those of you who can understand my need to de-clutter, what is your advice, please, on which scents to keep and how to go through this process?
    Make three groupings: a) frags you love and cannot live without; b) frags you like a great deal but really can get by without if necessary, c) frags that make you ask yourself, "Jesus, Mary and Joseph, how the hell did I wind up with THIS one in my wardrobe?"

Now, see how many are left in the first grouping, and see how close that number is to your ideal number of bottles.
    Add or subtract bottles as needed.

Next thing to do after all this: establish a swap list and/or sales thread here on Basenotes, or set up a seller's list on eBay.
    (Oh, and let tvlampboy know if you have any Tabac Blond edp or Shalimar edp you wanna let go of first thing. )

Finally, let us all know how everything goes in your great frag catharsis.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 26th October 2007 at 03:35 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I just thinned about 30 bottles out of my wardrobe. First I went through my stockpile...can I live without 4 bottles of No.22 and 6 bottles of Escada Collection? YES I CAN!
    I then went through my whole wardrode & got rid of anything I hadn't touched in 6 months. I also got rid of anything I bought not out of love but just because it was a great deal.
    I thought hard about what I really, truly like - that would be tropical scents & ambery/incensey scents. I do not need a wardrobe that includes each scent group, I'm a big chypre lover so why own 5 or 6 chypres?

I still have a large collection but I've narrowed it down to the point that there are only 2 or 3 perfumes left that I might get rid of, the rest are ones I truly love owning.

Hope that helps! GOOD LUCK!!

I use the same theory as I do with clothing...if I haven't worn it in a few months (season exceptions apply), then it goes. I have a few "special" bottles that I will always keep, but otherwise, I make no exception...I don't care if I paid a fortune for them...if I don't wear them, someone else will.

You guys have awesome advice; I'm feeling completely empowered to get this done! That you for the specific ideas - I'll dig in this weekend with your suggestions printed out beside me for easy reference!

This thread is also empowering me to get rid of some of my stuff too.

Now if only I can get off my butt and "just do it!".
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post
    This thread is also empowering me to get rid of some of my stuff too.

Now if only I can get off my butt and "just do it!".
    GO DIMPLES, GO DIMPLES!! You can do it!

Owning POTL was my main goal but I made enough $$$$ to buy 1 ounce Vol De Nuit parfum, L'Heure Bleue parfum in a fancy case, 2 Ragdoll cats & last but not least POTL
    It was exhausting but very, very rewarding!

I put the frags that I rarely wore into my closet for a looonnnnggggg time. When I was seized with a craving for one of them, I pulled it out and into my main cabinet. After several months, I looked back into the closet and found a whole load of things that I couldn't even recall buying, let alone liking. So I threw them away and had no problem doing so.

At this point, I think I've gone through the inevitable rough patches of bad taste or just imperfect choices that are associated with developing your nose. (Some may recall that when I first came to this board I knew NOTHING and was entirely unwilling to admit it.) Long story short: after throwing out the junk I think I find that I'm left with a lot of great stuff that I just don't wear, like Gris Clair, Aimez-Moi, Diorissimo, etc. I'm waiting it out to see if any of them will turn back into favorites, but I think this phase is the time to start a swap thread, when you can offer legitimately good stuff that just doesn't work, as opposed to a "somebody please take my crap" thread. This may be the best option for you as well.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

Not very organized here, but agree with those who suggested your getting rid (here on the Sale Forum, eBay or giving away) of the scents you have not touched within the last 6 months. Please make your wardrobe visible -- with all sections filled out. You never know: your junk might be someone else's prized possession.

"At this point, I think I've gone through the inevitable rough patches of bad taste or just imperfect choices that are associated with developing your nose."

That is exactly how I look at my experience with fragrance and the subsequent collection.

"Long story short: after throwing out the junk I think I find that I'm left with a lot of great stuff that I just don't wear, like Gris Clair, Aimez-Moi, Diorissimo, etc. I'm waiting it out to see if any of them will turn back into favorites, but I think this phase is the time to start a swap thread, when you can offer legitimately good stuff that just doesn't work, as opposed to a "somebody please take my crap" thread. This may be the best option for you as well."

The crap has been cleared out over the past year or two. Like you, what I have left is good, but just doesn't get worn. How long did you wait to see if any of them turned back into favorites?
    --------------------------------------
    dimples -

we'll do our fragrance clean up together!

twolf-

I can't figure out how to list anything in the wardrobe section, but will need to get that done

tinker-
    Did you use ebay or basenotes or craigslist or ???
    Last edited by seattlelight; 26th October 2007 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I used eBay since I don't know how to use Craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    You never know: your junk might be someone else's prized possession.
    Ain't that the freakin' TRUTH! I despised Chypre Rouge, but it was my very first swap -- gone in a heartbeat, too. I adore Noir Epices, and found two bottles on the sale list in the same week! Listen to twolf: one person's junk is almost always another's treasure.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 26th October 2007 at 09:34 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post
    I admit that I have fallen into the trap of "oh, this fragrance is being discontinued / reformulated; I had better stock up" - even though it's not my holy grail by any means. I've hoarded,, and it makes me a bit disgusted with myself.
    OH.... Woe... I have this problem, too. My method (not saying it's worked very well thus far) has been to sit down with my husband and methodically take bottles off the tray. The bottles removed are bottles that I will part with after I have used them up (or even traded them away, if I'm not fond any longer). The bottles that remain are the ones I see as summarizing my personality. My husband and I do this together because he is more selective than I am! Plus, I value his opinion.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

I think I need to do this too, but I suspect I'll have a hard time letting go of anything, because at some time or another, I wear ALL my stuff. And my wardrobe really isn't that big. I need a cupboard though. At the moment, my bottles are in two containers on my dressing table and there's no room for anything else. It's ridiculous.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Kotori -
    I also find that it is easier to part with things when I have someone's opinion to rely on.

Clemmie-
    I also wear all my stuff, but some makes my heart sing and most doesn't. I want to make my heart sing every day! Unlike you, my frag wardrobe is big (40-50). I just happen to appreciate fragrance as art, but honestly, a lot of this needs to go to folks who will enjoy it more than I do.
    --------------------------------------
    Update on Sunday afternoon:

One caveat: the Carons and Guerlains will be sorted through another weekend and may end up replacing some of the frags on this list. I enjoy all the Carons I own and use many of the Guerlains predominantly for reference and educational purposes, so they need some special attention in this sorting process.

The 20 that made the cut:

Soft and light:
    Eau de Merveilles
    Iles d' Or

green floral:
    Vent Vert

casual or go-to when nothing else is appealing:
    Caleche Eau Delicate
    Cologne Grand Siecle
    Carrier

my absolute favorites:
    Philtre d' Amour
    Irisia
    Corps et Ames
    Timbuktu

musk/insense - a tough category for me to wear, but I get compliments with these:
    Nu
    Costes

total originals from Serge:
    Fleurs d' Oranger
    Vetiver Oriental
    Douce Amere
    Feminite du Bois

accessible and flattering:
    Angel - gourmand
    Sensi - vanilla
    Omnia - soft woods
    24 Faubourg - orange blossom; regal and sexy

Thank you for all your help! I feel so much better and once I get through everything, it will be such a relief. That way, when I have the urge to purchase something, it is much clearer to me whether I need anything at all AND what that item needs to replace. Thank you again, everyone.
    Last edited by seattlelight; 28th October 2007 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost