Code of Conduct

Question Hormones and Headaches

Hey, Ladies!

Do any of you have any knowledge of the relationship between your hormones and your perfume allergies/reactions?

I am noticing a trend. Much like when I was pregnant, I have had changes in what I can tolerate from my own collection since resuming birth control! Some things that I could not tolerate during pregnancy, I continued to have problems with post-partum, but now that I have resumed taking hormones, they seem to be fine. Go figure!

Since I have no reason to assume I have developed new sporadic allergies, I think I may have hormonal reactions to various fragrance ingredients.

What do you think? What has your experience been with this issue?
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Default Re: Hormones and Headaches

Never see a difference. I 've been on HRT (hormone replacement therapy), after an injection I have ten times the amount of estrogen in the system than the one of a regular non-pregnant woman. my endocrinologist told me low levels of estrogen and menopause affect more the body.
    Last edited by bilqis; 27th October 2007 at 12:46 AM.

My scent tastes changed dramatically after having babies.
    Before baby number three I was wearing Tresor and Jessica McClintock.
    Somewhere after birth and breastfeeding, well, let's just say I can't imagine myself wearing those scents again.Can't comment on hormone therapies or birth control from experience, but I bet there's a connection.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I think hormones can affect your perception and tastes but although I am not sure, I don't see how hormones can affect your allergies. Without going into histamine receptors and all, I just don't see how hormones can make the receptors more sensitive to binding specificities although, perhaps it is possible? Good question and will require some research.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I just don't see how hormones can make the receptors more sensitive to binding specificities although, perhaps it is possible? Good question and will require some research.
    they don 't. some women with lower estrogen levels are more feminine than others with higher levels, same goes for males, some look more masculine while others have no body and facial hair although they may have higher levels of testosterone (specially asian males). the receptors sensitivity and their concentration or lack of play a bigger role than hormones levels.
    but hormones do play a role in perceptions. women with higher testosterone levels have a higher sexual drive, usually women 35-45. that might have a certain influence on their olfactive senses and tastes.
    Last edited by bilqis; 27th October 2007 at 03:41 AM.

I never had an aversion to any perfume fragrance during pregnancy.
    Cooking odors could be revolting, especially meat.
    I have heard, and agree, that women begin to like green frangrances more as they get older, just as my craving for fresh, uncooked vegetables has increased with time.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    I have heard, and agree, that women begin to like green frangrances more as they get older, just as my craving for fresh, uncooked vegetables has increased with time.
    I find that to be true of me, as well. Also, chemicals in some of the newer scents make me sick or give me a headache, I thought it was me until I started noticing it was coming from particular lines or ingredients.

No, I've never noticed hormonal changes in that way. My tastes and likings change as I grow older, I'm 41 now, but I've never seen this as hormonal. And I'm happy to see that I'm not allergic to my perfumes either.
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

We are slaves to our hormones much more than we're aware, I'm afraid.

I've found that "going through my changes" is perpetually revealing. There have been "seasons" of afflictions that come and--thankfully--go. There was one summer of throbbing arthritis (then never again--whew!). Recently there was a pseudo morning sickness which then lead to a near revulsion of all my perfumes. This seems to have abated (YAY!). But all of a sudden I've got cystic (ouch) acne. Hello! I'm 52!

I couldn't believe how much the sight of my perfume cabinet made my stomach turn, or even just reading about perfume notes online made me queasy. So, yes, I believe your headaches, if not specifically allergy-related, could be tied to your internal chemical changes.

I used to have wide-swinging PMS symptoms, which, as some of you know, can make you feel like at least two different people. The one advantage of this torture is that it makes you aware how greatly your personality is shaped by your biology--almost like an opportunity to "walk in someone else's moccasins." This has made me a more compassionate person.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Auto-immune disorders, such as rheumatoid arthritis, Krohn's disease, and Lupus have been shown to have a correlation with hormones. It isn't uncommon for a woman suffering with one of these afflictions to go into remission during pregnancy, for example. It happened to my cousin with Krohn's disease and, thankfully, she's been much better ever since. Therefore I think hormones could affect allergies, because aren't allergies quite often auto-immune related?
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    My scent tastes changed dramatically after having babies.
    Before baby number three I was wearing Tresor and Jessica McClintock.
    Somewhere after birth and breastfeeding, well, let's just say I can't imagine myself wearing those scents again.Can't comment on hormone therapies or birth control from experience, but I bet there's a connection.
    That might be what's going on with me...
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by bilqis View Post
    they don 't. some women with lower estrogen levels are more feminine than others with higher levels, same goes for males, some look more masculine while others have no body and facial hair although they may have higher levels of testosterone (specially asian males). the receptors sensitivity and their concentration or lack of play a bigger role than hormones levels.
    but hormones do play a role in perceptions. women with higher testosterone levels have a higher sexual drive, usually women 35-45. that might have a certain influence on their olfactive senses and tastes.
    Maybe I should rephrase... I don't know if the headaches I get are actually allergies. Good point, bilqis-- it could actually be my hormone receptors reacting in some other way. Who knows?
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Recently there was a pseudo morning sickness which then lead to a near revulsion of all my perfumes. I couldn't believe how much the sight of my perfume cabinet made my stomach turn, or even just reading about perfume notes online made me queasy.
    That's exactly where I was right after giving birth to Eli.
    Last edited by Kotori; 28th October 2007 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My hormones sure affect my taste! I'm 28 weeks pregnant and I can't get enough of apple fragrances (and eating apples). Before I was pregnant, I didn't enjoy apple fragrances at all; even in shampoo! I find that florals are giving me terrible headaches, much like estrogen-drop headaches that I get during "that time of the month."

With my first pregnancy I wore lots of spicy scents, especially Safari. With my second, I wanted green scents, and wore lots of O Oui de Lancome. And this one...well, let's just say if there's apple in a scent I WANT it. Haven't tried the new Nina yet, but it's tempting me (appropriately enough, considering the symbolism of the bottle). :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah View Post
    My hormones sure affect my taste! I'm 28 weeks pregnant and I can't get enough of apple fragrances (and eating apples). Before I was pregnant, I didn't enjoy apple fragrances at all; even in shampoo! I find that florals are giving me terrible headaches, much like estrogen-drop headaches that I get during "that time of the month."

With my first pregnancy I wore lots of spicy scents, especially Safari. With my second, I wanted green scents, and wore lots of O Oui de Lancome. And this one...well, let's just say if there's apple in a scent I WANT it. Haven't tried the new Nina yet, but it's tempting me (appropriately enough, considering the symbolism of the bottle). :bounce:
    Creed Spring Flower is pretty appley, I think. Also, if you really want to indulge yourself, you can bathe in apple-- I just bought an apple-scented shower gel from B&B Works!
    Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post

Oh. I should mention that I've been breastfeeding. As you say, could be a connection.
    Last edited by Kotori; 28th October 2007 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah View Post
    I'm 28 weeks pregnant
    Good luck, Tovah!

Exclamation Re: Hormones and Headaches

Quote Originally Posted by pellen View Post
    Auto-immune disorders, such as rheumatoid arthritis, Krohn's disease, and Lupus have been shown to have a correlation with hormones. It isn't uncommon for a woman suffering with one of these afflictions to go into remission during pregnancy, for example. It happened to my cousin with Krohn's disease and, thankfully, she's been much better ever since. Therefore I think hormones could affect allergies, because aren't allergies quite often auto-immune related?
    Yes, according to my husband, allergies are auto-immune overreactions. It would make sense for those diseases to go into remission during pregnancy, since the body is often fighting to stay well during this time (sometimes even fighting against the fetus as an intruder).

While I go through scent stages, eg from greens to orientals, or light florals to something quite musky, it doesn't seem to relate to my hormones, or headaches.