Code of Conduct

Thread: Which one

Default Which one

Ok, need a complementary but different cologne. In other words, something that is not a true clone of what I have, but then again, not 180 degrees opposite

I wear Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque and Chergui. I dont do pine, or earthy (Vetiver or Voluer de Roses do not do well on my skin). I like a cologne that projects, but have not smelt Noir Epices

So, here are choices

Piper Nigrum
    Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac
    Stay with MPG Eau des Iles.

Suggestions for this winter/fall?

Default Re: Which one

Man, I had Piper Nigrum and it just did not work. I tried, but it's too "spicy" and "foody".

Have you tried Terre D'Hermes? It has a mineralic note different from the "earthy" type scents you mentioned. Terre also projects very well, lasts a long time, and I believe is good year-round.

Piper Nigrum and I did not get along as well. I admire the scent, but just was not comfortable wearing it. Feuilles de Tabac is a wonderful scent which I assume you've sampled. Do you like amber scents, or does amber to your nose equate with earthy?

Basenotes Institution

You mentioned Noir Epices - it projects, it's very different from the fragrances you listed, and I think it's got a Top 10 best drydowns - but you gotta like orange and/or powdery effects. If you do, you'll love this. It took about 3-4 wearing before I went bananas over this stuff.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani View Post
    Have you tried Terre D'Hermes? It has a mineralic note different from the "earthy" type scents you mentioned. Terre also projects very well, lasts a long time, and I believe is good year-round.
    I will second wicozani's suggestion - it is an excellent fragrance. Since you like Lutens, you might also consider one of his that is in my top ten Ambre Sultan
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I can do amber, it is the Guerlain Vetivers and the Voleur de Roses I can not handle. Vetiver Extraordinare, ok, Creed Vetiver, too soapy. The Montale Auods, not good on my skin. Same with Bulgari that smells like Rubber. I did like Navagateur by L'Artisan but they say it is discontinued. The Miller Harris did not last as long on my skin but it was sampled in warm weather. I think the Eau Des Iles lasts a while, but the hazelnut is almost to the point of being cloyingly sweet. Fumerie at least is smokey and rosy on me, and Cherqui has a bit of acrid honey, which on me is good.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Eau des Îles is hard to beat, but Feuilles de Tabac gives it a run for its money. Either one will do nicely. I don't know Piper Nigrum except by reputation; I've never smelled it.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca