Code of Conduct

Default Spiritueuse Double Vanille - a review

While in Paris, I decided to visit the Guerlain boutique to investigate this, based on the recommendation of a fellow Basenoter. My first impression was a faint vanilla and rum scent that underwhelmed me - I was expecting it to be much stronger. Undeterred, I proceeded to apply four spritzes to my body - one to either side of my neck and another two to my chest (under my shirt). I then left the store and continued shopping elsewhere.

For the first hour, I wasn't really detecting that much but, when I did, I smelt some similarities to Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé. I continued testing other fragrances elsewhere and eventually went home. At this point, I had more or less written off Spiritueuse Double Vanille for being too subtle to my nose (much like Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé) and forgot about purchasing a bottle.

And then a funny thing happened: throughout the day, I could smell this heavenly aroma around me. At first, I thought it was another fragrance that I tested on my wrist but I eventually came to the conclusion that this wasn’t the case. I then forgot about it and had a lunchtime siesta. During the periods when I was awake, I could still detect this enveloping aroma - much to the point where it was driving me crazy not knowing which scent it was. It was just so warm and dead sexy!

After waking up, the aroma was still there. I then decided to have a shower and removed my shirt. As soon as I did this, I realised that the scent was on my shirt too and instantly knew that the heavenly scent was Spiritueuse Double Vanille. I was absolutely amazed! There was even a faint trace of it in the apartment for several hours. Out of curiosity, I decided to wear the same shirt again, when bumming around the apartment the following day. The scent was still evident and I knew then that I had to buy a bottle of this elixir at the next opportunity.

A couple of days later, I returned to the Guerlain boutique, tested the juice again and, sure enough, the same scent that had captivated me for the last two days was in that very bottle. I swiftly located one of the SAs and told her I wanted to purchase a bottle, whipped out my debit card, paid and left with a big smile on my face.

However, soon after returning to London, I found myself in a conundrum - I now had two vanilla scents in a wardrobe where everything else is unique and distinctive. The other vanilla scent I owned was Givenchy's Pi EDP (also a limited edition and now very rare). After some deliberation, I decided to pit them against each other by spraying one on either arm before going to bed. Up until now, my Pi EDP was the best vanilla scent I had ever come across. However, when compared to Spiritueuse Double Vanille, it appeared to be synthetic and flat.

When I woke up, Spiritueuse Double Vanille was still evident on my arm and stayed that way for a good 12 hours (it probably would have been more had I not been sleeping). As for Pi, it had more or less disappeared from my skin. As a result, it was pretty obvious that my bottle of Pi had to go. My all-time favourite vanilla fragrance trumped with panache? I just couldn’t believe it! Even now I don't feel bad about kicking it out but that was certainly an achievement in itself.

Spiritueuse Double Vanille is a very Luten-esque scent that is worthy of the title of possibly the best Guerlain release for the last 80 years. This is certainly not an overstatement and I urge you to investigate this olfactory miracle at the soonest opportunity. $200 may be a lot of money for a 75ml vanilla scent but, believe me when I say that this is THE BEST vanilla scent ever made. It is sheer heaven and only gets better as it develops further on the skin. It’s an amazing creation and is now my pride and joy.

Give it a go, before it’s too late, or you may just live to regret it.
    Last edited by Trebor; 26th October 2007 at 08:40 PM.

Default Re: Spiritueuse Double Vanille - a review

I agree with you 100%. My favorite part of SDV is when the hints of tobacco appear out of nowhere. It is a real dream.

Basenotes Institution

Nice review Trebor. Mr. Guerlain will be happy...another SDV convert.

Sounds delicious, decadent and luxurious - all simultaneously. Don't you love it when that happens?
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Is this limited edition ?
    -

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Is this limited edition ?
    Oh yes.

In case anyone hasn't seen this already, an article (in French) with JP Guerlain in LeFigaro.fr - mentioning the scent: http://www.lefigaro.fr/magazine/2007..._guerlain.html
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 26th October 2007 at 09:26 PM.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Oh yes.
    Doh! Like Guerlain limited editions of the past, once its sold out we might not see it again for the next 50 years!
    -

I think i know what my next decant purchase is going to be...!
    Last edited by ajmc; 27th October 2007 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Nice review Trebor. Mr. Guerlain will be happy...another SDV convert.

Sounds delicious, decadent and luxurious - all simultaneously. Don't you love it when that happens?
    Yes! Trebor PM'ed me about it and he SURE made me happy with this review. It makes me so happy when someone shares my enthusiasm this way. I can't add anything to his fantastic review. SDV just stands there as a masterpiece besides vintage Shalimar!

Yeah, I think SDV is my Holy Grail scent now! The way it works on my skin is just so amazing! I have to agree with Ruggles - it's definitely the combination of rum and tobacco that gives this vanilla scent such an edge, and it gets more intense as the day progresses. At one point, I was going to buy a back-up bottle as well but quickly came to my senses.

I've owned or tested Jaïpur Homme, Pi (both concentrations), Habit Rouge, Un Bois Vanille and Hypnotic Poison, and SDV puts them all to shame.

Also, the bottle is HUGE (about 50% larger than a bottle of Heritage EDP)! It's now the largest bottle in my collection and towers over all my other acquisitions (even over my bottle of Bois d'Argent). Its size, and that cool red seal on the label, compliments the fact that it truly is the jewel in my fragrance crown.
    Last edited by Trebor; 27th October 2007 at 10:21 AM.

Is there any place in the U.S. where one can get a full-size bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by scent_addict_2002 View Post
    Guerlain boutique at Bergdorf.
    "Oh, my Lolita, I have only words to play with!"
    - Vladimir Nabokov,
    Lolita

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by scent_addict_2002 View Post
    Also at The Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach, Florida at the Guerlain Boutique.

See the post where it's discussed: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200208

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

My wife and I both gave this one a try. Sprayed it on 2 consecutive days beacuse the first day neither one of us were impressed. Second day more of the same. It's OK and nothing to write home about. Wouldn't bother spraying on me if I found it in my Christmas Stocking.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    My wife and I both gave this one a try. Sprayed it on 2 consecutive days beacuse the first day neither one of us were impressed. Second day more of the same. It's OK and nothing to write home about. Wouldn't bother spraying on me if I found it in my Christmas Stocking.
    Once again it's a revelation to realize just how totally different we people are - I mean, you read a post and think that this person must live on a completely different planet than yourself - despite sharing 99,99 % of genes. What should we do without the internet?
    Last edited by Mr. G; 28th October 2007 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

NOOOOOOOOO!!! How could you possibly say such a thing?!

Nah, only kidding! Each to their own, I suppose. At least you gave it a shot, even if you didn't end up liking it.

After reading this thread i decided to order it blind.
    Already i emailed:wave: to Mr Metz..
    Last edited by giannis; 28th October 2007 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by giannis View Post
    After reading this thread i decided to order it blind.
    Already i emailed:wave: to Mr Metz..
    Hey, giannis!

Tell us what you think, when you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Once again it's a revelation to realize just how totally different we people are - I mean, you read a post and think that this person must live on a completely different planet than yourself - despite sharing 99,99 % of genes. What should we do without the internet?

Actually, it was your original review that got me to buy a decant. I do appreciate your reviews and input on Guerlain. I have alot of respect for Guerlain and the quality of product they manufacture. Just got let down or was expecting more on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Hey, giannis!

Tell us what you think, when you get it.
    Sure,if i dont like it i will sell it to you

Actually, it was your original review that got me to buy a decant. I do appreciate your reviews and input on Guerlain. I have alot of respect for Guerlain and the quality of product they manufacture. Just got let down or was expecting more on this one.
    It wasn't meant as an offense at all, just a sincere 'gosh-I-thought-everyone-would-just-find-this-scent-unbelievably-good'... But I'm glad I made you interested though :-)

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Doh! Like Guerlain limited editions of the past, once its sold out we might not see it again for the next 50 years!

So, for how long SDV will be available? couple of months? a year?

I am so intrigued with this scent after such great estimations
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Thanks for the review, Trebor, I'm planning a trip to Paris and now I guess I'll have to save some space in my suitcase for another bottle (or maybe two)
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

limited edition? oh no! anyone know of anywhere in australia where we can sniff this?