Code of Conduct

Default MORE than Love at First Sniff....

I am pretty sure that most of us can name scents that, at first sniff, we find easy to love. Then there are the ones that initially are off putting, or even repulsive, and then magically, months or even years later, the skies open and you suddenly "get" it, and the one you rejected becomes a wardrobe staple.

This thread is dedicated to the fragrances that are in a third category, ones that set off fireworks, sweep you off your feet, ones that you can remember your first encounter with the way you might remember a first love.
    You know the fireworks scene in Rear Window when James Stewart and Grace Kelly kiss?
    That's what I mean.

Their entrance is burned into your brain cells in a stunning, rock your world sort of manner.

I can think of three fragrances that entered my world and changed it dramatically.
    All three are in parfum formulation.

Tabac Blond
    Chanel no. 5
    Shalimar

Do you have scents that affected you in this way? Which ones are they?
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Default Re: MORE than Love at First Sniff....

What a great thread!! And so in keeping with your new Custom User Title.....

There's so many recent ones and lots from the past too. From the past - LHB and Chopard's Casmir....

From the present - ooooh boy!! Most recent are Ambre Russe and MIssoni and Carnal Flower and Series 2 Red: Rose by Comme des Garçons....a coupla Bonds....and oooohhh Montana Pour Homme....Mona di Orio Oiro...DelRae Amoureuse...coupla figs....

Over all ...JOY!!!

I am such a slut....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

TaoLady, I can truly see what a beauty Joy is....and LHB is stunning.
    There are so many on your list that I have not even become acquainted with....amazing
    for your "kiss and tell" list
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Great thread indeed! I am still waiting on Narciso Rodrigues For Him so I can't speak for that but here are a few:

-GIT

-Encens et Lavende

-Kyoto

-Black Aoud

-Kiton Men

There have been a few ...

Angel
    Fumerie Turque
    Dior Addict
    Ambre Sultan
    Musc Ravageur
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Off-Scenter

Dia
    Nuit Noire
    Carnal Flower
    Jaipur Homme EdP
    Musc Ravageur

Only one so far: Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge
    Sniff and let sniff.

I've talked about my Knize Ten mania around these forums too much as it is, but it's certainly the first fragrance that's wowed me, though I've liked quite a few others I've tried. I hope to have the experience again.

Escada's Que Viva. I went through my 1st bottle in less than a month. I can remember going in Nords after Nords trying to find it when it was D/C'd. Dang limited edition crap. They haven't put out a spring/summer frag since Que Viva that I've liked. To tell you the truth they all smell the same every year to me.

Oh and Aimez Moi! Oh I just couldn't believe how beautiful it smelled. This is actually my 1st what I call real perfume. This was the perfume that turned me into the addict that I am today.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Tubereuse Criminelle. I literally took my breath away at the very first sniff.

Shocking (that one is still the love of my life)
    Sa Majeste La Rose (couldn't believe how 'real' it smelled - still adore it)
    most recent:
    Prada Infusion d'Iris - simply can't get enough of this one, it's divine, and the subtle changes throughout the day keep it lively. It's so sexy on the dry-down, it just makes me want to sniff myself constantly
    Annick Goutal, Songes - this one is a stunner, and I remember the first time I sniffed it vividly. It took me ages to acquire a bottle, but it was well worth the wait
    Clinique Aromatics Elixir - literally stopped a woman in a shop to ask her what she was wearing, and 'discovered' this one. I prayed it would work on my skin and it does.
    Bulgaria Omnia - again, I was on holiday and smelled it on another woman (a Greek lady), who told me what it was. I bought a bottle at the airport on the way home.
    Last edited by Clemmie; 27th October 2007 at 07:35 AM.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Yohji
    Poivre
    Messe de Minuit
    N'Aimez Que Moi
    Ormonde (women's version)
    Comme des Garçons EdP
    Black Cashmere
    DZING!
    Fumerie Turque
    Cuir Mauresque
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

OH yeah....Knize 10 and Tuberose Criminelle.....Anne Pliska...1000....Premiere Figuier....Cuir Mauresque...Chinatown...
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Hypnotic Poison, MI, Chanel Mademoiselle, CK One (oh, sooooo many adolescent memories), Guerlain Vetiver for men

Quite a list of stunners, Ladies, I feel rather tingly reading it!

And I may have to add Aimez Moi, Divatologist... and Anne Pliska, Tao Lady,
    how could I have left them out?

Clemmie, enjoyed your vivid one line stories ....
    Last edited by rtamara41; 27th October 2007 at 01:28 PM.

Wow ....this is tough because there ar many that I have fallen in love with, but as far as sweeping me off my feet....I would have to say Bois des Iles, Chinatown, Sacrebleu, Ambre Narguile, Luctor et Emergo.

I have that reaction all the time.
    Almost every perfume that I have rated with a four or five has done this to me.
    (What a pushover, I know. How embarassing. I have a big heart for love.)
    So, I will limit myself to my latest two head-over-heels loves.
    Last week, at Kumquat's house, I smelled, for the first time--
    Bois des Iles and Czech & Speake 88.
    Whoo-hoo.

Basenotes Plus

Shalimar, when I was 16, had that effect on me.
    More recently it's been: VISA by Piguet, Kilian's A Taste of Heaven, a Neil Morris Spirit of Water (which I don't think is released yet) and Bond No. 9 Silver Factory, also unreleased for now.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Angel
    Farnesiana
    Sonia Rykiel Woman Not Men
    POTL
    Pd'E Ambre Russe
    Ava Luxe's: Milk, Love's True Bluish Light, Incense Tibet, Amber Essence & Ambre Tibet

Basenotes Institution

No. 88 by C&S
    Black Aoud by Montale
    Ambre Sultan by SL
    Rose 31 by Le Labo
    Parfum des Merveilles by Hermes

To name a few...
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Two have done this to me right away...Trouble by Boucheron and SL Chergui...My other loves Angel,Mitsouko and Narciso Rodriguez took some time for me to get used to until I finally "got it" and started to LOVE them..Eh...sorry if I'm a bit off topic now,but they had to be mentioned too!

AL no. 23, and recently: Iris Ganache. I spritzed my generous sample empty the first day, and tried to get some more out of it...never done that before...

Al a Figue by Satellite, and Chanel's Cuir de Russie. Usually I need to wear a fragrance for at least 10 seconds before I fall in love, but with those two I was smitten as soon as I opened up the sample for a test whiff.

I've a few to confess to:

Chanel Bois des Iles
    Madame X
    Tabac Blond
    l'Heure Bleue
    Cuir Mauresque
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

L'Heure Bleue
    Vol de Nuit
    Chamade

recently LTBL and Incense Tibet (DH's absolute favorite and a blind buy)

but another one that made me absolutely wild with the need to own it came as a total surprise as I had not even planned on trying it: a couple years back I went into the Caron Boutique in Manhattan and was just about to buy Farnesiana and Montaigne. The SA slipped up behind me and sprayed just a bit of Poivre into the air. I was virtually paralysed by its magnificence. I went with the large spray and the other waited for another day!

The first fragrance I fell in love with at first sniff was Adolfo. The next was Chanel Cristalle. I have sniffed so many since then and worn most of them... just to say I did. But the most recent one that I ordered almost before I recapped the sample was L'Artisan Fleur de Narcisse. I die a little each time I take a breath of it.
    Bel Respiro, I adore you... but my heart belongs to another.

Blog Entries

I fall in love with fragrances the same way I develop crushes...they could be right under my nose (hehehe) for awhile until one day BAM...something makes me look at them in a different way & then I'm head over heels. My feelings for the ones (both people & frags) that seem to "wow" me instantly never seem to last. That being said...there are 2 frags that come to mind that have been more than love at first sniff...

1. Musc Ravageur. Last winter, when I first sprayed this on the back of my hand to sample it...I couldn't pry my hand away from my nose. I was seriously having visions of myself going to the ER because I got my hand lodged in my nostril. I had never smelled anything like it, & I thought it was just perfect.

2. Clinique Happy for men. That may seem like a weird one to have that kind of reaction to, but when I first sprayed that on, that's when it hit me that I had been ignoring an entire realm of fragrances that I had never considered before - scents marketed to men.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Tubereuse Criminelle
    --------------------------------------
    Lipstick Rose
    --------------------------------------
    Fleurs d 'Oranger
    Last edited by bilqis; 2nd November 2007 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost