Code of Conduct

Default "Sleeper" scent for a 21 year old...

Hello all, I have browsed this site for a little over a year and it is a very nice place to visit. I'm a 21 year old college student and I need some suggestions on what would be a good signature scent that not many others wear. I just want something a little different that can be distinct.

I don't mind paying for higher end fragrances like Creeds, I just want to find a good cologne that isn't very popular with the college croud. I'm looking for a fragrence that gets often gets looked over, and isn't really mainstream such as the Aqua Di Gio's, polo, etc. It could be a niche frag. I'm willing to take any suggestions you might think I would like based on my wardrobe.

Right now I have:

- Zegna Intenso
    - Chanel Allure Sport
    - Estee Lauder Pleasures
    - Gucci Envy
    - Versace Dreamer
    - Burberry Summer
    - Iceberg Twice
    - Guess
    - Dunhill Blue
    - A*Men
    - Creed GIT
    - Geir
    - L'Eau Par Kenzo
    - Hugo
    - YSL L'Homme
    - Chrome
    - Hugh Parsons (Blue)
    - Versace Eau Fraiche
    - Kenneth Cole Black
    - Mont Blanc Individual

Any suggestions would be great, thanks in advance!

Default Re: "Sleeper" scent for a 21 year old...

Welcome to Basenotes! As for sleepers, I don't really know what to suggest - you already have some amazing frags on your list!

The only thing I can really think of is Millesime Imperial by Creed, but you'll probably get frustrated when all of your college cohorts mistake it for Sean John Unforgivable (happened to me a few times). Creed Himalaya is also quite amazing, if you don't mind shelling out for it.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have tried MI and I do find it to be very similar to Sean John (which a lot of my friends do wear). I like Himalaya somewhat but there is just this pepper note that draws me away. I kind of like Creed Erolfa, but I just feel there is a better scent out there that I really LOVE instead of just like.
    Last edited by nalgreen05; 27th October 2007 at 08:07 AM.

Carolina Herrea 212 Men and H20 are sleepers. Pi is rarely popular and is incredible. Ignition by Lomani is nice and no one has it. Try Aprege Pour Homme, Platinium Egoiste, Antaeus, Xeryus Rouge, I believ Claibourne Sport is really nice. Boss No. 6. Hmm off my head thats all that comes up... Pal Zileri. St.Dupont Signature and Minotaure are also great.

- Jay
    I'm so fo sho' it's no facade/ Stay out of trouble momma said as momma sighed/ For her fear her youngest son be a victim of homicide/ But I gotta get you out of here momma.. Or I'm gonna die..Inside...So either eay you lose me momma/ So let loose of me!

Jay, out of all those which one is your personal favorite if you had to choose?

Quote Originally Posted by nalgreen05 View Post
    Jay, out of all those which one is your personal favorite if you had to choose?
    As an Oriental: Pi and Minotaure

Fresh scent: Carolina Herrera 212 Men..

Crazy scent: Xeryus Rouge...

- Jay
    I'm so fo sho' it's no facade/ Stay out of trouble momma said as momma sighed/ For her fear her youngest son be a victim of homicide/ But I gotta get you out of here momma.. Or I'm gonna die..Inside...So either eay you lose me momma/ So let loose of me!

You know, you are just going to have to sample and try as many as you can. There are going to be some that you like, but only through testing will you find the one that you love.

I would recommed both Dior Homme and Farenheit, as well as Guerlain Vetiver. They are not the hardest to find scents, but outside of basenotes, I don't find too many people wearing them. And they are excellent, perfect for colder weather. The Guerlain might be a little "mature", but give it a try. You might just really like it.

Good luck!
    You are not your perfume.

Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme
    Givenchy Pi
    Paco Rabanne BLACK XS

I guess you will stand out wearing Guerlain L'Instant Extreme.. Yum!!!

Oh... On a sidenote. I noticed you dont have JPG's Le Male... Well I will not suggest Le Male because although I love the scent it has a carbonated cream soda type burst at first and can be very very cloying. BUT I recently discovered my new signature scent Perry Ellis 360 white which in my not so humble opinion is a better spin on this fragrance. I also lasts just as long and sillage is perfect. I get complimented on this like crazy... The first words normally are " OMG!" Followed by " WHAT IS THAT??" It smells similar.. but I can know you cannot get them confused. 360 white is less fizzy and has a peppermint type smell as well. It is excellent. Only thing is do not over use. The notes can turn sour... I've heard it going from beautiful vanilla to sour milk type smell... I am positive this is a sleeper.

Its kind of funny that you mention that Jay, I actually had 360 regular and 360 black but I recently sold them to a friend. I liked the original 360 for the most part, but wasn't too fond of black (blind buy). I will have to try out white though, I have read from other postings that it is very nice indeed.

Oh.. I probably didnt mention Xeryus Rouge like I did the rest, BUT... If you want to stand out.. That's a loud scent. Minotaure is too but Xeryus Rouge is insane sweet without being headache sweet or cloying. It has wonderful Kumquat and Cactus notes (Yes I said cactus). I'm only 17 so I am coming from a similar age range. Believe me when I say these are sleepers. People I go to school with wear Tag and Axe which evaporates in 30 minuets. If not that it is Cool Water or ADG. I am the only person I know who wears cologne... lol

- Jay

Good lookin out Jay, I appreciate the responses man

No problem take care man..

From your list, I can't tell how much time you have spent exploring Chanel, Guerlain and Hermes. I haven't been able to sample all of their offerings yet, but so far my favorites from these houses all rank, IMO, over 10 on a 10 point scale. They are available but not common:

Chanel -
    Pour Monsieur (1955) [not the concentree version]
    Egoiste [not Platinum Egoiste]
    Antaeus

Guerlain -
    Heritage [it is available in EdP also]
    Habit Rouge
    Vetiver
    (L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme is very good as well)

Hermes -
    Equipage
    (Terre d'Hermes is also very good)

Your area may be different, but of those I have listed, the only ones I found locally were L'Instant, Vetiver and Terre d'Hermes. The rest were purchased online.

I am just beginning to explore Serge Lutens, L'Artisan Parfumers, MPG and other niche houses. I have already found some fragrances that will stay in the top of my wardrobe for a long long time (Ambre Sultan, Santal Noble and Nicolai's New York particularly).
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Already Owned: GEIR
    Cheap: Halston Unbound
    Moderate: Clinique Happy
    Expensive: M7 Fresh
    Really Expensive: Bond No.9 Bleecker Street

Chanel PM Concentree
    Chanel Antaeus
    Dunhill Edition
    Terre d'Hermes
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Thanks for the suggestion, I have tried MI and I do find it to be very similar to Sean John (which a lot of my friends do wear). I like Himalaya somewhat but there is just this pepper note that draws me away. I kind of like Creed Erolfa, but I just feel there is a better scent out there that I really LOVE instead of just like.
    Have you tried Virgin Island Water or Silver Mountain Water? VIW has some similarity to Himalaya but has this buttery coconut thing going on that is quite delicious. (Speaking from a woman's point of view at least)
    How about Egoiste ?
    Antaeus is good but very potent.
    Guerlain Vetiver which I just discovered is more close to the skin and refreshing.
    Habit Rouge is also quite good. Lemon and vanilla, brother of Shalimar.
    Kingdom is provocative and rather dirty.

I for one would enjoy smelling ANY of these on a 21 year old man.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Being 21 myself, I'd recommend checking out my wardrobe for some ideas. I've gotten compliments on 90% of them (I guess I haven't worn Kyoto and Black Jeans enough to get any compliments on yet, but then again they're new to my wardrobe)

-FIERCE by A&F (everyone has this but it's nice to put on once in a while)
    -Jaipur Homme EDP by Boucheron
    -Allure by Chanel
    -Platinum Égoïste by Chanel
    -Égoïste by Chanel
    -Dior Homme by Christian Dior
    -Kyoto by Comme des Garçons
    -Relax by Davidoff
    -By Man by Dolce & Gabbana
    -Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle
    -Magnetism by Escada
    -Armani Code by Giorgio Armani (again, everyone has it, but it's nice)
    -Pi by Givenchy
    -Gucci Envy
    -Terre d'Hermès by Hermes
    -L'Eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake
    -Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren
    -Unforgivable by Sean John (see:FIERCE and Armani Code)
    -A*Men by Thierry Mugler
    -Black Jeans by Versace
    -The Dreamer by Versace
    -Body Kouros by Yves Staint Laurent

I would suggest that you explore scents from Burberry. Touch, Brit and London are all great.

Something that is not popular with the college crowd & a bit different.What about L`Air du Desert Marocain by Andy Tauer.This might be what you are after.

Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam View Post
    Being 21 myself, I'd recommend checking out my wardrobe for some ideas. I've gotten compliments on 90% of them (I guess I haven't worn Kyoto and Black Jeans enough to get any compliments on yet, but then again they're new to my wardrobe)

-FIERCE by A&F (everyone has this but it's nice to put on once in a while)
    -Jaipur Homme EDP by Boucheron
    -Allure by Chanel
    -Platinum Égoïste by Chanel
    -Égoïste by Chanel
    -Dior Homme by Christian Dior
    -Kyoto by Comme des Garçons
    -Relax by Davidoff
    -By Man by Dolce & Gabbana
    -Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle
    -Magnetism by Escada
    -Armani Code by Giorgio Armani (again, everyone has it, but it's nice)
    -Pi by Givenchy
    -Gucci Envy
    -Terre d'Hermès by Hermes
    -L'Eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake
    -Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren
    -Unforgivable by Sean John (see:FIERCE and Armani Code)
    -A*Men by Thierry Mugler
    -Black Jeans by Versace
    -The Dreamer by Versace
    -Body Kouros by Yves Staint Laurent
    Adam, out of all of those which 1 or 2 are you absolute favorites and/or most complimented on?

Basenotes Plus

I second Virgin Island Water, I always get compliments on this one! Im 20 btw, a few fragrances that I wear are;

Milisime Imperial, Virgin Island Water and Silver Mountain Water by Creed
    Lolita Lempicka au Masculin
    Anglomania by Vivienne Westwood
    A*Men by Mugler
    Kingdom by Alexander McQueen - This one is really dirty and unusual, haven't smelt it on many other people

Have you tried Lolita Lempicka?
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

I was at my step sons wedding a couple of months ago and was wearing Creed Original Santal. A 23 year old came up to me and said "You're a Creed man, you're wearing Original Santal" He said I love it and all the young women I know love it too. Most people your age aren't willing to shell out the bucks for a Creed and you said you were. Go get it, Creed Original Santal, and enjoy the women that will be flocking around you.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I was at my step sons wedding a couple of months ago and was wearing Creed Original Santal. A 23 year old came up to me and said "You're a Creed man, you're wearing Original Santal" He said I love it and all the young women I know love it too. Most people your age aren't willing to shell out the bucks for a Creed and you said you were. Go get it, Creed Original Santal, and enjoy the women that will be flocking around you.
    Just ordered a sample of the OS you mentioned. I do love Creeds so I hope that this will be a future purchase for me.

Blog Entries

I think a good "sleeper" scent for anyone is Avon's Tomorrow for men. It's really good, it smells like mocha, patchouli, & amber & the notes just blend together to make a great fall frag.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Just ordered a sample of the OS you mentioned. I do love Creeds so I hope that this will be a future purchase for me.
    A sample is always the best thing thing before investing in a bottle at this price level.
    You'll be the classiest 21 year old out there if it works for you.

Gai Mattiolo Uomo
    Carlos Santana (I know most people frown on celebrity scents, but this one is really good)

I don't think one can go wrong with any of YSL's creations. Kouros has always been one of my favorite scents of all time (and thus Creed's Orange Spice, so similar, has become another faithful), and today I received in the mail Kouros Fraicheur. A group of friends, when I... ahem... casually mentioned I was wearing a new cologne all told me it smelled drop dead gorgeous. And this was women and men! haha.
    Seriously though, try the Kouros Fraicheur. It will be a good addition to the list you have, I feel, and you will once again rise from the masses wearing aquatics.
    I could go on and on about a number of other scents, rose-based in particular, but this one is new for me and I'm ridin on a high of it.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin
    Current Favorites

Creed- Windsor
    Serge Lutens- Chergui
    Creed- GIT
    Lolita Lempica Au Masculin
    Ysl M7
    Creed-Aventus
    Pure Malt
    Chanel Egoiste
    Egyptian Goddess
    Serge Lutens- Arabie
    Frederic Malle- Musc Ravageur
    Acqua di Parma- Mandorlo

I'll second Perry Ellis 360 White. Great stuff and can be had for cheap at TJ Maxx/Marshall's. It's everything I hoped Le Male would be.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Riv View Post
    Oh... On a sidenote. I noticed you dont have JPG's Le Male... Well I will not suggest Le Male because although I love the scent it has a carbonated cream soda type burst at first and can be very very cloying. BUT I recently discovered my new signature scent Perry Ellis 360 white which in my not so humble opinion is a better spin on this fragrance. I also lasts just as long and sillage is perfect. I get complimented on this like crazy... The first words normally are " OMG!" Followed by " WHAT IS THAT??" It smells similar.. but I can know you cannot get them confused. 360 white is less fizzy and has a peppermint type smell as well. It is excellent. Only thing is do not over use. The notes can turn sour... I've heard it going from beautiful vanilla to sour milk type smell... I am positive this is a sleeper.
    OMG. I'm in college too and I use PE360 White. Got tons of compliments and smiles.

I'll second the Carlos Santana, I rec'd mine today.

Very nice!
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Santos de Cartier

Yang - read up on the reviews, I'm sure you'll be convinced.

I will say Carlos Santana is a huge sleeper. That fragrance is serious business... LMAO

No but seriously.. It is a great fragrance. Do be sure to give it try.

How about Prada snd Burberry London