Code of Conduct

Default Indult - Tihota $225 Vanilla Fragrance at Luckyscent

Since I had to sell my brand new $200+ bottle of Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille because I couldn't tolerate its Tobacco note, I decided Indult's TIHOTA might be the vanilla fragrance I've been searching for.

Givenchy Pi has been my signature vanilla scent for the last 4 years; however, I'm hoping TIHOTA might knock Pi out of that position.

I also e-mailed Guerlain to see if they could "special order/make" SDV without its version of the Tobacco note. I know Guerlain will make individual fragrances, but it is costly.

Anyway, the many reviews of Indult's Tihota look promising on Luckyscent. I ordered an $8 sample ($5 + $3 s/h). It's also available at Sephora in Paris. Apparently only 999 bottles have been manufactured for its first run.

My only concern is that it might be too feminine.

Here is the description of TIHOTA on Luckyscent:

Tihota
    Eau de Parfum
    by Indult

the scoop
    Rapa Nui for sugar, Tihota is, quite simply, The One. The One that will call to you every moment you’re not smelling it, The One that you’ve only had hints of in other vanilla perfumes, The One that lasts and lasts, The One that has perfectly captured the essence of the pure nature of fresh vanilla beans and has harnessed it beyond your wildest dreams. It inspires obsessive devotion with its fragrance of smooth, vanilla bean pods dipped in honeyed water and left to steep. The result is the pure magic, an unbridled vanilla, sweet, raw and achingly desirable. Of course, Tihota isn’t the first perfume to focus on the dark sweetness of vanilla… perfumery is filled with vanillas, but this smells like the dream of a master perfumer who was obsessed with vanilla and was finally given free rein to worship the note with no apologies. It is, without a sliver of a doubt, the finest pure vanilla we’ve ever had the honor of carrying, and it’s so beautiful it pains us to put the bottle down.

Tihota notes
    vanilla bean, musks
    Last edited by gregmech26; 27th October 2007 at 11:01 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Indult - Tihota $225 Vanilla Fragrance at Luckyscent

Here's my two cents:

This was created by Francis Kurkdjian and from what I've read it is slightly tamer than his vanilla-on-steroids scent he did for JPG, Gaultier2. It is very linear and pure - if you like that variety of vanilla scents. Some don't.

I also remember reading that if you bought a bottle from Indult that somehow you belonged to a private 'club' and this will allow you to have access to future Indult fragrances - which IMO sounds very elitist and quite comical.

I doubt that Tihota will trump the Guerlain - but as they say...different strokes for different folks.

Please post your 'review' when you receive the Tihota sample - noone on Basenotes, as far as I know, has mentioned this since I think it was only available at Sephora stores in France.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

DON'T DO IT!!!

I tried three Indult fragrances, while in Paris, at Sephora and none of them are anything special (one was okay-ish but it certainly wasn't Tihota).

Like you, Pi was my favourite vanilla scent but I truly believe that SDV is the best you can get (how much have you tested it, btw?). As for Tihota, please sample before you buy or you'll probably end up with two very expensive vanilla fragrances that you don't like.

I haven' t tried Tihota (yet), but there are an almost uncountable amount of vanilla frags out there...
    Luckyscent has a splendid sample service, so why don' t you send for a bunch of different vanillas to compare?
    BTW - according to Luckyscent, almost every frag they sell is *a scoop*

Luckyscent has recently begun to sell Serge Lutens, so if you send for something from them, be sure to get you a sample of my favorite vanilla - Un Bois Vanille!

Good luck on your vanilla hunt!
    Last edited by musse; 29th October 2007 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Can' t spell
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Manakara was the one that I thought was okay (Isvaraya was my least favourite). But, to be honest with you, none of them are worth that hefty price tag (and you only get 50ml!). I personally believe this is just some marketing gimmick for suckers who believe that exclusivity equates to high quality.

None of them possess exceptional longevity, sillage or even development. Furthermore, they're contained in these thin taky wooden boxes (yes, the boxes are wooden with no additional padding!) - for the money they're charging, the boxes should be luxurious versions of the SDV box (and the presentation for that gem is A*).

Anyway, re-reading your thread, I've realised that you're not going to buy it blind - wise man. However, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you...

I've sampled all three. Not cracked up to be what Luckyscent has said on their website.
    Nice scents but nowhere near great. Short lived, No longevity or strength, no sale.

"Dear Sir,

In reply to your email, we are sorry to tell that we cannot make a special issue of Double Vanille with another composition than the actually exixting one. The composition
    is made of baies roses,bergamote,cedre, encens, ylang, rose and along with the Vanille, benzoin. There is no tobacco note in it, but it always can be developped on a skin in such a way that it reminds something different.
    We actually can propose you to elaborate a perfume "sur mesure", a unique fragrance for you that would be yours for a life time for a cost of 30000 euros. It requires quite a time to be elaborated, and if this interets you, you could contact Mrs Sylvaine Delacourte at the Head Quarters- 01 41 27 31 00.
    The actual Double Vanille has a value of 140 euros, plus 25 euros for the shipping cost.

I remain at your disposal,

With my best regards,

Françoise"

Tihota is soooo not worth the price tag. I was excited after reading the descriptions on some blogs describing it as a DARK vanilla etc. Got a sample and... hah! Veeeery basic little bit musky vanillin'y vanilla. Minimalist in a bad way, not in a Jean Claude Ellena -way.

For comparison, I love Serge Lutens Un bois vanille, Montale Vanille Absolu, Ava Luxe Royal Vanilla and L'Artisan Vanilia (personal favourite), all of them totally different compositions of a primarily vanilla fragrance. Waiting to try the new Guerlain.
    Last edited by Mikael; 3rd April 2012 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    Tihota is soooo not worth the price tag. I was excited after reading the descriptions on some blogs describing it as a DARK vanilla etc. Got a sample and... hah! Veeeery basic little bit musky vanillin'y vanilla. Minimalist in a bad way, not in a Jean Claude Ellena -way.

For comparison, I love Serge Lutens Un bois vanille, Montale Vanille Exquise, Ava Luxe Royal Vanilla and L'Artisan Vanilia (personal favourite), all of them totally different compositions of a primarily vanilla fragrance. Waiting to try the new Guerlain.
    I can assure you that you will loooooove SDV.

^ Haha, here's hoping!
    Last edited by Mikael; 2nd November 2007 at 02:34 PM.

Looks like I will have to shell out the 30000 euros.

I ordered a sample, boring plain caramel vanilla scent, at this price it 's such a joke!

you want a great cheap vanilla? Pink Sugar does it!
    a sexy more complex niche vanilla? Un Bois Vanille is hmmmm

Banned

30000 euros for a custom scent geez!
    Last edited by teger; 2nd November 2007 at 09:49 PM.

Pink sugar sounds interesting; however, I'm not sure a "guy" could pull it off . One-fourth of the reviews indicate it's too feminine as opposed to being unisex.

I sampled Blue Sugar last year, but the licorice notes spoiled it for me... since I detest anise.