Code of Conduct

Default Oils and Vodka will not bond.. oil just sits at the top??

I have mixed my oil blend with 100% Vodka. The problem is once the oils settle they are at the top of the jar and the Vodka is at the bottom. Has anyone got any suggestions for how to make the mixture bond as one??

Thanks.
    Last edited by r2s; 27th October 2007 at 11:52 AM.

Default Re: Oils and Vodka will not bond.. oil just sits at the top??

oh no... i was wondering what would happen with that?
    tell me if you find out!
    all the best

You have to shake it up every time, hence perfumers tend to leave lower proof alcohols alone -- no one wants to mess with emulsification and dissolution every time. You should try a very, very high proof alcohol (such as Everclear). You can also get hold of some denatured alcohol. Be careful, though -- this stuff is toxic to work with.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 27th October 2007 at 12:59 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    You have to shake it up every time, hence perfumers tend to leave lower proof alcohols alone -- no one wants to mess with emulsification and dissolution every time. You should try a very, very high proof alcohol (such as Everclear). You can also get hold of some denatured alcohol. Be careful, though -- this stuff is toxic to work with.
    Hi mate,

yeah it is a pain!! This stuff is the strongest I can find at the moment. Everclear is not avialable in the UK as far as my searches tell me. I have found a Russian Vodka on the net which is 180 sonething proof... but it is like 50 a bottle (I may have to pay that if I cant find a cheaper option).

Thanks for your interest guys

Surely you can get hold of a high-proof alcohol from a scientific supplier? I'm sure this stuff is made an available in the UK, just not on the high street.
    If you have any friends who are teachers, they could ask their science/chemistry/biology colleagues for tips. Alternatively, medical professionals might know something - surgical spirit, and all that.

I know that in France a lot of different alcohols are available in supermarkets because they're used for things like cleaning windows and burning in chafing dishes and fondue warmers. Is it possible that such things are imported for French customers over here? Obviously the issue with importing anything is going to be duty, so that's no use.

Finally, if you're up for contacting a full-on perfumery supplier to score a pint of full-strength alcohol, you could contact the British Fragrance Association and ask for a list of suppliers http://www.bfaorg.org/
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Thumbs up Re: Oils and Vodka will not bond.. oil just sits at the top??

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post

Finally, if you're up for contacting a full-on perfumery supplier to score a pint of full-strength alcohol, you could contact the British Fragrance Association and ask for a list of suppliers http://www.bfaorg.org/

Of those this seems the best option for me (no teacher or medical worker friends here unfortunately) Thanks for the link i think I will contact them on Monday..see what they can come up with.

Cheers.

r2s I found this site while surfing around http://www.bsp.org.uk/links.html
    it's the links page for the British Society of Perfumers, who are for individuals rather than companies - they list some suppliers. Yay! Hope someone is able to help you out.
    Let us know how you get on as it's a useful resource for other DIYers here!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    r2s I found this site while surfing around http://www.bsp.org.uk/links.html
    it's the links page for the British Society of Perfumers, who are for individuals rather than companies - they list some suppliers. Yay! Hope someone is able to help you out.
    Let us know how you get on as it's a useful resource for other DIYers here!

Sterling work Wordbird!!!! thank you very much!

I will certainly report back and let everyone know how I get on!

Thanks agian!

Blog Entries

I am registered / licenced to sell upto small quantities of denatured (perfumers) alcohol per customer with HM Customs & Excise.

They do not help you with suppliers and I have found that the smallest quantity you can buy is 20 litres from the manufacturer / wholesaler. 20 litres cost .

I would be happy to host a split for interested UK hobby perfumers like myself but can only sell to those registered with HM Customs & Excise. It is as simple as filling in a form and it is free!

I would supply as little as 1 litre units. Just pm me if interested.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Weird, esp. given how lax liquor laws are in the U.K. compared to the U.S. -- Everclear's one of the cheapest things available here.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Weird, esp. given how lax liquor laws are in the U.K. compared to the U.S. -- Everclear's one of the cheapest things available here.
    Not in all states, unfortunately. In Cali, Utah, and probably some others, the maximum is 151 proof. A friend has some 190 proof that I'm going to use -- I hope that will be adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by Latch View Post
    Not in all states, unfortunately. In Cali, Utah, and probably some others, the maximum is 151 proof. A friend has some 190 proof that I'm going to use -- I hope that will be adequate.
    More than adequate for probably 99% of the ingredients you're ever likely to use.

You might try something such as isopropanol, or a longer chain alcohol if you can find one. No doubt the oils you're trying to solvate would be more non-polar than ethanol [which isn't working apparently], and a longer/less polar [more oil like] alcohol would make your solution work. I would recommend rubbing alcohol [isopropanol] as a first choice, since it's cheap, and I can't imagine it adding much smell or changing the scent you've created.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggity View Post
    You might try something such as isopropanol, or a longer chain alcohol if you can find one. No doubt the oils you're trying to solvate would be more non-polar than ethanol [which isn't working apparently], and a longer/less polar [more oil like] alcohol would make your solution work. I would recommend rubbing alcohol [isopropanol] as a first choice, since it's cheap, and I can't imagine it adding much smell or changing the scent you've created.

Thanks Jiggity!

My only concern would be the effect of rubbing alcohol on my skin, not sure if that would be a bad thing for it??

Rubbing alcohol does have a distinct odor and I would not use it to dissolve perfumery materials.

Just a thought here ... I've looked over the thread and don't see if you've specified what "oils" are sitting at the top ... if they happen to be something (like an essential oil or absolute) diluted in jojoba or any fixed oil, only another fixed oil would mix with that - it will always separate out in alcohol no matter how high the proof.

maybe I am off track here, but until you an get the strong stuff- use what you have- but you can pretty up/ presonalize a bottle of your blend with a small chip of a gemstone - can be bought many places and cheap too- then you can drop in bottle and when used - I always shake them or a least turn them upside down once before I use it, the stone will help to mix the stuff ( like the balls in nailpolish bottles) and ass a pretty touch to your blends...just an idea- you can add gems to add value too- say the qualities of a stone add to blend- to enhance your fragrance/therapy of oil -
    AngelHawk