Code of Conduct

Default Tales of the Edge — Comme des Garcons EDP

I bought this when it first came out, in 1994 — and I had to really hunt it down, it was only sold in some fashionable boutique in Paddington in Sydney. And boy, did I feel that I was out on the dangerous curve of the Avant Garde. This smelled like nothing else around and it was strong as hell; some weird kind of medicinal smell, and intensely spicy — and it was marketed as unisex (which didn’t become common in Australia until CK One, and that fragrance was notable for its weakness). Even the bottle was avant garde as you couldn’t stand it up: you had to leave it in the (very plain) box. This was high art, a statement! And I wore it through the (overwhelming!) disapproval of others: the many calls of “What is that?” or expressions that said the same thing without the need for words. I wore it and it seemed to go well with Paul Smith jackets and shirts, and the general mood of the times, or my times at least. But I couldn’t really love it: it was too strange, a little too feminine.

How times have changed! I found this under the bathroom sink, unused for 13 years, still in its box with the plastic “IV wrapper”! It still smells exactly the same, it has not deteriorated one jot. And guess what? I now like it very much and no longer find it either strange, or too feminine. Now it doesn’t seem to be at the frontier of style, rather it seems quite mainstream. It is still strong, but it’s spiciness seems less adventurous than, say, Opium pour homme EDP, or even JHL. It now just seems like a quality fragrance with a slightly off-centre aesthetics.

So I ask: do you have any similar experiences with fragrances from the past, where you felt you were too far ahead of the cultural curve?
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tales of the Edge — Comme des Garcons EDP

This was bought for me as a gift way back in 1994 but I was a young teen with no real idea of what was cool or 'good' in fragrance. I just knew what I liked... and I LOVED CDG Original EDP!! I received many compliments when wearing it but it wouldn't of mattered to me if no one had, because it spoke to my very soul. Then someone stole it...

There was no way I could find or afford a bottle for myself so it became a memory that most other scents were compared to. By the time I was in a position to be able to by it for myself it was no longer available...

Fast forward 12 years and I am now a fully fledged fragrance junkie. A wonderfully generous lady offers to swap a full bottle of CDG Original Cologne among other scents. I jump at the chance!

The Cologne is very similar to the EDP but sheerer (less ambery) and spicier. Since then I have also obtained a bottle of the EDP and the Dry Oil. I do still adore it but not as fervently as before...
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    By the time I was in a position to be able to buy it for myself it was no longer available...
    Thanks for this Moondeva! I didn't realise that it was deleted!!

BTW do you know who stole it?
    Last edited by Eluard; 27th October 2007 at 02:01 PM.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard View Post
    Thanks for this Moondeva! I didn't realise that it was deleted!!

BTW do you know who stole it?
    It was discontinued but I have heard rumours that it is once again available, on a limited / boutique only basis....

I don't know who stole it - lucky for them because i would have done them some serious damage. I just scent them a Karma Kiss / Blessing instead - What you put around always comes back around...
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Basenotes Institution

I remember being strangely attracted to Aromatics Elixir by Clinique as a teenager - of course, I never owned a bottle but I remember spraying it on myself every time I was in a department store passing by a Clinique counter (I'm sure the SA's at the Clinique counters probably thought I was a strange kid...)

Fast forward today. I still can't wear AE, but now many interviews of professional noses and perfumers, list AE as one of their Top 10 scents of all time. I think it smells, on the right person, downright heavenly.

Somehow - as a teenager, I sensed that.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th October 2007 at 12:26 AM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I remember being strangely attracted to Aromatics Elixir by Clinique as a teenager - of course, I never owned a bottle but I remember spraying it on myself every time I was in a department store passing by a Clinique counter (I'm sure the SA's at the Clinique counters probably thought I was a strange kid...)

Fast forward today. I still can't wear AE, but now many interviews of professional noses and perfumers, list AE as one of their Top 10 scents of all time. I think it smells, on the right person, downright heavenly.

This has made me go and read the reviews of AE. Must say it looks like it might be a great gift idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

This older lady at work wears Aromatics Elixir and it's really nice on her-- It smells like a feminine version of Antaeus or Versus Uomo. I've complimented her several times.

I tried to like Comme des Garçons EDP, but it smells like drool to me. It reminds me of the smell of going to hospitals when I was young. Not my fave thing. I would like to try the EDC though.