Code of Conduct

Default Jaisalmer vs. Dzongkha

Hey guys. I was just getting ready to order a bottle of Jaisalmer when Dzongkha caught my eye. Should I try it before I purchase Jaisalmer? Are they comparable?

Default Re: Jaisalmer vs. Dzongkha

Jaisalmer is bone dry, very direct and literal, almost autistic - like many CdG's, I found it a bit suffocating on me. On the other hand, Dzongkha, wears wet and complicated because of the iris notes. You may also want to try Passage d'Enfer, a mix of incense and indolic lily.

Off-Scenter

Short answer: YES.

I think Dzongkha is one of the most alluring scents in the L'Artisan line. To my nose it's a far more complex and sophisticated scent than Jaisalmer. In point of fact, I don't think these two are in any way comparable. As Ruggles says, Jaisalmer is a relatively simple dry, woody scent, while Dzongkha is all about exotic smoking incense, lychee, peony, and iris. Jaisalmer has more in common with Tam Dao and Satellite's Padparadscha, while Dzongkha is closer in composition to Divine's L'Homme Sage.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 27th October 2007 at 05:51 PM.

I have a bottle of Passage d'Enfer and like it a lot. I've also tried all of the CdG incense series and liked Jaisalmer the best. (I liked Avignon too, but my partner is a recovering Catholic so ...) I just thought I should get a few responses about Dzongkha, which I haven't sampled, before I take the plunge for a full bottle of Jaisalmer.

While I love them both, Dzongkha has a green pepper note that sort of ruins it for me. My mom used to make stuffed bell peppers for dinner and I hated them. That's what a bad scent memory will do for you. Other than that it's wonderful and unusual. Of the two, I like Jaisalmer the best.

Basenotes Institution

If you like Jaisalmer out of all 5 of the CdG incense scents, I say get it. I ran out of my bottle about a month ago and I miss it terribly. Best use of cardamom / nutmeg spice, in a mens fragrance.

Dzonghka, in my opinion, is NOT in the classification with the CdG Incense Series - totally different animal. I respect its strangeness, but it's slightly vinegar-y and salty brine quality on my skin irritated me. However on other peoples skin Dzonghka is amazing. Trying it first is advised.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    While I love them both, Dzongkha has a green pepper note that sort of ruins it for me. My mom used to make stuffed bell peppers for dinner and I hated them. That's what a bad scent memory will do for you. Other than that it's wonderful and unusual. Of the two, I like Jaisalmer the best.
    That's really strange that you say that. I actually find a green pepper in JAISALMER! It's true-- the slightest hint of a green bell pepper. One of the reasons I really like Jaisalmer. (I love green pepper). Apparently the odorant that gives green peppers their smell is very intense-- I think I recall reading somewhere that if you isolated just a few drops at full concentration, you could make an Olympic size swimming pool smell of peppers (I could be wrong but I swear I read that.)

Though I like Jaisalmer a great deal, for some reason others are split on it. I gave a friend small samples of the entire Incense Series, and Jaisalmer was his favorite. The first time I ever wore Jaisalmer, it resulted in a one-night-stand. That being said, I've seen several people turn their noses up when sniffing it from the bottle. For some reason, some people perceive it as smelling dirty and unwashed I think-- which I can't fathom at all. Peoples' noses work differently though.

Thanks for the responses! I'm going to take Mike's advice and buy Jaisalmer and get a sample of Dzongkha to test.

Has it been written somewhere that Dzongkha has a green pepper note, or was that peoples' consensus?

I've always perceived it very strongly as straightforward Iris and pimento rather than green bell pepper. This same pimento note appears in a lot of other perfumes, such as Zagorsk and David Bekham, even Chanel Coco.

I love this stuff but it is a bit odd, which is good. It's comparatively dry, but its touch of sweetness projects from the skin rather than being icky cloying. Thankfully they saved us all and left out any amber, vanilla or tonka, which I loathe, especially in combination. (L'artisan's Ambre Extreme is a nightmare to me.)

This fragrance is something I'll want to wear a lot this winter. It's very comfortable.

It isn't an official note of Dzongkha, it was just my observation...sorry for the confusion. I retested and sure enough, to me I get green pepper. Maybe it's the pimento and maybe it's just a strange accord that to my nose reminds me of pepper.