Code of Conduct

Default Musc Ravageur and the Medicine Man

I just brought out my MR for the fall, sprayed it on and I swear it smells like I was just admitted to the emergency room. Harsh! Is it the lavender? Shalimar, where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Musc Ravageur and the Medicine Man

I have a big bottle of MR. I was impressed with this scent at first.
    Now I am not so enthusiastic. I find musc a bit irritating me. I wear it rather rare
    Nethertheless it is a great scent.
    My tastes are changing - from very sweet scents, to more balanced f.e. VE or Bigarade
    Last edited by DreamerII; 9th September 2007 at 01:18 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) F. Malle 1-19 2) Chanel Bel Respiro 3) TF Noir de Noir 4) Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel 3) Dominique Ropion

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest that you might want to try Musc Ravageur oil, which still has that great Musc Ravageur scent but in a quieter way than the EDT. I doubt very much that you would find the oil to be harsh.

I really like Musc Ravageur EDT, but unfortuantely it contains an ingredient that I am allergic to, and I cannot wear it. So, I decided to try the Musc Ravageur oil, and I am very happy that I did. I don't have an allergic reaction to the MR oil, which is much more of a skin scent than MR EDT. I enjoy wearing MR oil on an occasional basis.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I just brought out my MR for the fall, sprayed it on and I swear it smells like I was just admitted to the emergency room. Harsh! Is it the lavender? Shalimar, where are you?

Honestly, I can't remember it having a 'medicinal' top note either? Hmm...I have half of my little sample (that Frederic Malle sent me) - I'll spray some on soon and repost my thoughts. Actually, last time I wore this, I found it strongly resembled Ambre Narguile by Hermes (Hermessence).

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Honestly, I can't remember it having a 'medicinal' top note either? Hmm...I have half of my little sample (that Frederic Malle sent me) - I'll spray some on soon and repost my thoughts. Actually, last time I wore this, I found it strongly resembled Ambre Narguile by Hermes (Hermessence).
    The medicinal smell faded away and it settled down to one of the most amazing vanilla amber accords. Now I remember why i love it so much. I must try Ambre Narguile. Is it one of the Hermes "boutique only" scents?

Medicinal? Never got that, no. All I smell are flowers and sex and vanilla, vanilla and sex and flowers.
    Did I mention sex, btw?
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 10th September 2007 at 12:11 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I must try Ambre Narguile. Is it one of the Hermes "boutique only" scents?
    Yep. The best of the six Hermessences, IMO.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I wore Musc Ravageur again for the 2nd time from my sample this past Monday - the weathers slightly cooler now so I thought 'what the heck'...little did I know that my office that day was working on repairing the air conditioners in my building so when I arrived to work it was extremely hot.

It was not the best environment for me to experience Musc Ravageur. At one point I had to go to the restroom to splash some water on my face - I felt like I was choking on the vanilla. Horrible experience.

On topic though: no medicinal notes.

I am taking my sample with me to LA this weekend - perhaps the cooler weather there will make this scent blossom on me. If not...well, I'm done tryin.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

When I first tried Musc Ravageur it smelled VERY medicinal... Now it smells like an awesome sweet-vanilla-ish musk.

(same with dzing)

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    When I first tried Musc Ravageur it smelled VERY medicinal... Now it smells like an awesome sweet-vanilla-ish musk.
    The cloves, guys! It's the cloves...

Post Thanks / Like

Ruggles you have been complaining about MR - why don't you send it to me so that I can enjoy it in the Fall ?

No, wait...with 70 degree temperatures in the south, I don't think I could !

The harsh medicinal smell might be a combo of bergamot and cinnamon.

I do agree on Shalimar being a superior blend though .. can't believe the EDT (which is already so good) can be found for so cheap online!

Rockford, there's no Musc Ravegeur EDT ... its an EDP.
    Last edited by zztopp; 12th December 2007 at 12:47 AM.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

M.R. is a great scent however the medicinal smell in the first 15 mins is a bit annoying (just a bit).

for mikeperez, may be ur sample is old and the top notes however disappeared ? i'm not sure, just thinking =)

my 2 cents.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

No medicine here either.
    What I did get a rush of was amber, vanilla and musk-like accords. Then it went through a transient period where it smelled like the erasers I used to use in school.

In contrast, upon her first sniff, my wife said "Mmmmm, cinnamon!"...

Unhappy Re: Musc Ravageur and the Medicine Man

I find MR is very similar to Amen...

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I get the medicinal accord and I quite enjoy it!!

I can sometimes find this scent too much in warmer temps too. If I wear it to a night club it gets a bit cloying so I refrain from that now.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    for mikeperez, may be ur sample is old and the top notes however disappeared ? i'm not sure, just thinking =)

my 2 cents.
    Perhaps. I think its about 6 months old (I got it from Malle shop mailed to me). More likely its my nose - sometimes I can't smell certain musks.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally LOVE the opening of MR, between the medicinal qualities being mentioned, the bold cinnamon note, and the hint of vanilla/amber voluptuousness that is to come. Every single time I test it I love the opening, think that I like the scent more than I remembered, and am then disappointed by the progression. The vanilla/amber accord takes over completely on my skin and is one of the most overwhelmingly strong, persistent and cloying accords I have ever experienced. I really do not enjoy wearing this scent because of it. I am always surprised in fact by how much positive press MR gets from us, because the basenotes to me are virtually unbearable.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

OK - so I got the to very end of my sample of Musc Ravageur today. I am wearing it as I type this...

It's finally cool here in Miami - and yes, I now 'get' it. It's quite wonderful. It's similarities to Ambre Narguile by Hermes (maybe it's the cinnamon?) and Shalimar by Guerlain (the vanilla?) are valid - but this scent has a character, personality and complexity all it's own.

The musk in this is so very different than the Kiehl's (which I'm slightly anosmic to), Narciso Rodriguez Musk for Him (which is slightly more oilier and 'darker' to my nose) or Tom Ford for Men (which is shiny and slightly lemony-synthetic). The musk in MR smells like sex and candy. Sad that it took me so long to figure this out.

I don't think I need to own a full bottle of this, since due to Miami's inherent warm weather I'd have very little time to wear it. But it has commanded my full respect today.

Off-Scenter

I wear Musc Ravageur often in cold, wet weather (eight months a year here), and have never smelled "medicine." Spices? Yes. Vanilla? Yes? Sweet musk? Yes. I like it a lot.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 18th December 2007 at 04:59 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    I wear Musc Ravageur often in cold, wet weather (eight months a year here), and have never smelled "medicine." Spices? Yes. Vanilla? Yes? Sweet musk? Yes. I like it a lot.
    Sorry I forgot to mention...after I applied MR I detected a slight menthol note but it was REALLY light and nothing compared to the annoying menthol/eucalyptus note I smell in Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone. MR's medicinal not does not detract from the scent at all IMO.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 18th December 2007 at 08:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I love Musc Ravageur. I did have a moment in time where I wasn't sure about it but that was before I gave the drydown a chance. It is one of the longer lasting, most projecting fragrances I own. I get compliments on it. I love wearing this in cooler (50 degrees farenheit or cooler) weather. It's really cold here in NYC and it's a pleasure to wear right now.
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

Post Thanks / Like

I <3 my bottle of Musc Ravageur too. When I 1st sampled it, I wasn't sure about it but after my sample was gone, I needed a full 100mL of it.

I really like Musc Ravageur too. I went to Les Senteurs in London a few years back and was torn between MR and Noir Epices. I bought Noir Epices and liked it well enough but I always had a sneaking feeling that I'd made the wrong choice. I went to Paris this spring and corrected this mistake by picking up a bottle in Monsieur Malle's beautiful shop on the Left Bank. I'm lucky not to have any problems with this one, no unpleasant notes at first or when it dries down. It's one of my very favourites, I can see myself replacing the bottle when it runs out and I don't do that very often.

I blew through the sample of mine (great service, handwritten letter and all sent from France in less than a week). I am torn between replacing my bottle of Acier Aluminum or getting a bottle of this. AA is a bit more versatile, but damn, MR is just incredible.

Just sayin'... if anyone is trying to get rid of a bottle, make me an offer