Code of Conduct

Thread: Child

Question Child

Anybody claim it?

It appears to be all the rage in celebrity circles (see my post "To Smell Like a Celebrity"). I'm just wondering what it's all about.

Any fans?
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Default Re: Child

No, but I asked the same question in the past and never received any feedback. I was also curious because I could only find a very elusive description of the fragrance.

Isn't that the pikake frag in a roller bottle by Apothia, something like that? If so, I think it is overpriced and something I gave to the salvation army a few years back. I couldn't stand the stuff. It smells cheap and it is cloying.

Exclamation Re: Child

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post
    Isn't that the pikake frag in a roller bottle by Apothia, something like that? If so, I think it is overpriced and something I gave to the salvation army a few years back. I couldn't stand the stuff. It smells cheap and it is cloying.
    Oooh! Good thing I didn't try to purchase a sample or anything! I'm allergic to Pikake!
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Yes, it is very pikake/tropical/floral/clean-musky. I actually love it, but wear the dupe Leilani by Scentsational of Huntington which is a whole lot more affordable and smells pretty dead-on to me. For some reason it always gets dissed a lot, but I don't know if it's because so many celebrities like it so much or if other's really, truly just hate it. On me it's a light, clean, skin-like, tropical floral. Whenever I wear it I get great compliments, mostly from women.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

I own it. Very Pikake, floral. Wet musky, not dry. Artisankey is dead on with the description. I think in warm weather with water ie. SoCal, Hawaii... it would be ideal and fun. Here, in my dank Northwest, not so much fun. It takes on a heaviness I have never "warmed" to, even in Summer... and I am usually a sucker for a good floral! The good news is that as I searched for my little bottle so I could sample, remind myself why I didn't like it and tell you about it... I found my sample of Chinatown, which is PERFECT for this chilly night that is creeping up on me. Love it!

Child is worth a sniff and probably quite nice in the right location. If you need a decant, PM me and I can get one off to you.
    Bel Respiro, I adore you... but my heart belongs to another.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post

It appears to be all the rage in celebrity circles (see my post "To Smell Like a Celebrity"). I'm just wondering what it's all about.

I haven't sniffed it but I'm sure it's very nice.

The thing is , take with a grain of salt what's reported as being popular with celebrities. Stuff about celebrity buying habits (cough) tend to come from two or three sources -- they are gifted by the company either as event swag, directly as "gifts" to the celebrity (did you know that Paris Hilon gets the full line of DianeVon Furstenburg's four seasonal collections for free? She probably has similar deals with other designers, and I'm sure other celebrities do the same), or as deals with their stylists. In return the companies get to say "as worn by..." or have the celebrity say "I'm wearing..." at an event.

Another way is for companies to be placed at celebrity shopping haunts. I was at Apothia recently for a fragrance-related event, and Apothia happens to be the fragrance and beauty boutique at Fred Segal - Melrose, a very trendy, very popular, and very expensive celebrity infested shop.

Paris Hilton in her Bentley outside Apothia and Mauro's at Fred Segal - Melrose

A mess of photos and video of celebrities entering and exiting Fred Segal - Melrose, including, Paris, Lindsay, Nicole, Christina, Britney, Tori, etc.

and (cough)...

Pregnant Britney shops at Fred Segal - Melrose

My point? Prominently displayed at Apothia were usual suspects Child, Kai, Voluspa, FreshScents by Terry, Pilar and Lucy, etc., all frequently mentioned as celebrity favorites, yet rarely seen, talked about, or sniffed elsewhere. My thought at the time was, "Well that explains a lot." And of course there may be regional interest in certain lines, but right next to them were large displays Serge Lutens, Creed, L'Artisan, i Profumi di Firenze, and the well-respected yet little known Antonia's Flowers ( now that's one I highly recommend you seek out and try -- it's gorgeous - http://www.antoniasflowers.com/samples.asp).

That isn't to say Child, Kai, and the rest aren't good, just that their frequent mention as favorites of celebrities is a little suspect. If you want to sample them, they are also carried at http://beautyhabit.com, which has a great sample program. AND they are running a 25% off all their products program right now (code: DCHABIT) so it's even cheaper to try them out.
    Last edited by MiaKulpa; 2nd November 2007 at 05:56 AM.

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...