Code of Conduct

Default rare LARGE 3.4 oz. spray Ungaro III Eau de Toilette Cologne for Men

ebay listing for this no longer exists as of 8:00am Sunday

<every effin week

I wrote to him and got no response.I wonder if he's dangling this out for suckers all month? Every month?

Wonder how many he gets?
    >
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 28th October 2007 at 11:10 AM. Reason: gotta give the folk the url

Default Re: rare LARGE 3.4 oz. spray Ungaro III Eau de Toilette Cologne for Men

That's not vintage Ungaro Pour L'Homme III. The vintage one has a red cap instead of black cap and is made in France not Italy. Also, the bottle is different. See immediately below for images and a couple of posts down for more details:

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 28th October 2007 at 02:17 PM.

Is there a vintage III that's worth 90.00 in your opinion?

because if I'm way off base I'll say so
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 28th October 2007 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    Is there a vintage III that's worth 90.00 in your opinion?

because if I'm way off base I'll say so

In my opinion, yes it's worth $90.00 for a vintage bottle--if you can find it--especially if you like the reformulation. The original is richer with a truer sandalwood note and is, overall, smoother and better balanced; think of an EDP version of the current one. I am going on memory here so don't quote me. I only got to try it a few times when it first came out. I haven't owned a vintage bottle. Perhaps someone who has can describe the differences better.

scentemental

who was that masked man?

<scratchin head>

and why does the Indian call him kemo sabe?

well, all's well that ends well

sue me later

bye

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    In my opinion, yes it's worth $90.00 for a vintage bottle--if you can find it--especially if you like the reformulation. The original is richer with a truer sandalwood note and is, overall, smoother and better balanced; think of an EDP version of the current one. I am going on memory here so don't quote me. I only got to try it a few times when it first came out. I haven't owned a vintage bottle. Perhaps someone who has can describe the differences better.

scentemental

I have both the versions --- Made in France & the other is Made in Italy ---

Though my nose is not particularly good at identifying individual notes and trying to establish minor variations but i will try to concentrate on that 'sandalwood' note and see if i can spot it....Its a job of an expert...something that i am not....but i will surely give it a try because until now i believed they smelt the same to me....

gupts

For a long time I've wanted to compare them so I've just done a quick check -- about 45 minutes of testing.

The original is much better than the reformulated one. The first thing I noticed is that the reformulated one has a bit of a "cologny" and alcohol ambiance that is missing from the original. Scentemental is right about the sandalwood. I don't get sandalwood from the reformulated, neither to I get leather. The original is smoother because of the noticable leather and sandalwood. The reformulated one gives me a lot of lavender, but the original has a definite rose note in concert with a gently supporting lavender and a clear rosewood. I do get rosewood from the reformulated one but it doesn't seem as nice as the one in the original -- maybe because it's missing the smoothing sandalwood and leather.

Another huge difference is that the original is still going strong -- still in the mid notes -- hasn't even gotten to the base yet, and the reformulated one is just about gone after an hour.

I agree with Scentemental -- if you like the reformulated, you'll love the original. I don't even consider wearing the new one anymore. I wore it once or twice a couple of times a little over a year ago and then sent it to the back shelf. I treasure my bottle of the original --used only one small spray for this test.

Hmmm ... still going -- the original is moving to the base now. Very rich and complex ... the leather is disappearing and the sandalwood is coming on stronger and the oakmoss is really coming on strong. There's a bit of sweet surfacing. The reformulated version is completely gone.

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus View Post
    For a long time I've wanted to compare them so I've just done a quick check -- about 45 minutes of testing.

The original is much better than the reformulated one. The first thing I noticed is that the reformulated one has a bit of a "cologny" and alcohol ambiance that is missing from the original. Scentemental is right about the sandalwood. I don't get sandalwood from the reformulated, neither to I get leather. The original is smoother because of the noticable leather and sandalwood. The reformulated one gives me a lot of lavender, but the original has a definite rose note in concert with a gently supporting lavender and a clear rosewood. I do get rosewood from the reformulated one but it doesn't seem as nice as the one in the original -- maybe because it's missing the smoothing sandalwood and leather.

Another huge difference is that the original is still going strong -- still in the mid notes -- hasn't even gotten to the base yet, and the reformulated one is just about gone after an hour.

I agree with Scentemental -- if you like the reformulated, you'll love the original. I don't even consider wearing the new one anymore. I wore it once or twice a couple of times a little over a year ago and then sent it to the back shelf. I treasure my bottle of the original --used only one small spray for this test.

Hmmm ... still going -- the original is moving to the base now. Very rich and complex ... the leather is disappearing and the sandalwood is coming on stronger and the oakmoss is really coming on strong. There's a bit of sweet surfacing. The reformulated version is completely gone.
    Thank you very much foetidus for the, as always, meticulous, objective, and astute review. I always look to your reviews when I want to really know what's going on in a fragrance (Pluran’s as well). Your review method is immaculate. Again, many thanks for taking the time to contrast the two versions. I am happy to see my scent memory didn’t let me down after all those years. It's interesting to note that "the truth will always out" in the basenotes of a vintage fragrance if initial differences between it and the reformulation can't be distinguished.

In terms of identifying the vintage formulation, I forgot to point out that if you look at the original bottle with the red top, it does not have a gold metal plate at the base nor does it have a gold plate on the top of the bottle. The bottle is also a dark, dark purple if you hold it up to the light, whereas the vintage bottles is closer to a dark amber. Perhaps foetidus can confirm the actual color of the vintage bottle. The real tell tale sign, however, is where the fragrance was made; France for the vintage version, Italy of the reformulated version. I’ve added another image in my first post above to make the differences clear.

Best regards,

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 28th October 2007 at 02:18 PM.

Thank you very much foetidus for the, as always, meticulous, objective, and astute review. I always look to your reviews when I want to really know what's going on in a fragrance (Pluranís as well). Your review method is immaculate. Again, many thanks for taking the time to contrast the two versions. I am happy to see my scent memory didnít let me down after all those years. It's interesting to note that "the truth will always out" in the basenotes of a vintage fragrance if initial differences between it and the reformulation can't be distinguished.

In terms of identifying the vintage formulation, I forgot to point out that if you look at the original bottle with the red top, it does not have a gold metal plate at the base nor does it have a gold plate on the top of the bottle. The bottle is also a dark, dark purple if you hold it up to the light, whereas the vintage bottles is closer to a dark amber. Perhaps foetidus can confirm the actual color of the vintage bottle. The real tell tale sign, however, is where the fragrance was made; France for the vintage version, Italy of the reformulated version. Iíve added another image in my first post above to make the differences clear.

Best regards,

scentemental

Thanks for the compliment, I wish you wrote more reviews.

I always thought my bottle was black, but holding up to the light,I can see the purple color. The only gold on the bottle is the lettering, which is getting a little rubbed off. My bottle is exactly like the picture of the original including the fact that mine's only a 30 ml bottle. I don't know about the color of the new bottle because I don't have it here -- only have a decant from it.

So... is it known where this can be acquired? Ebay is all black caps..

In terms of identifying the vintage formulation, I forgot to point out that if you look at the original bottle with the red top, it does not have a gold metal plate at the base nor does it have a gold plate on the top of the bottle. The bottle is also a dark, dark purple if you hold it up to the light, whereas the vintage bottles is closer to a dark amber. Perhaps foetidus can confirm the actual color of the vintage bottle. The real tell tale sign, however, is where the fragrance was made; France for the vintage version, Italy of the reformulated version. I’ve added another image in my first post above to make the differences clear.

Best regards,

scentemental
    This bottle is 'Made in France', yet it has the golden metal plate on top and bottom.

This bottle is 'Made in Italy' and is supposedly the reformulated version.

gupts

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    This bottle is 'Made in France', yet it has the golden metal plate on top and bottom.

gupts

I'm not surprised that the larger original bottles had the gold shoulders and feet. I can vaguely remember being disappointed when I received my 30ml bottle because I thought it was more plain looking than it should have been. My 100 ml bottle of reformulated looks just like your Made in Italy one except that I ordered a tester and it came sans cap and box.
    Last edited by foetidus; 29th October 2007 at 03:42 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Okay, so it seems that the "Made in France" on the bottom of the bottle is the only clear indicator of it's been vintage. It seems, however, that the red cap and the "Made in France "go together unless I am mistaken

Thanks.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 29th October 2007 at 03:46 AM.

Sorry, Guys I posted this to the wrong thread. I didn't mean to resurrect such an old one.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 17th September 2008 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Sorry, Guys I posted this to the wrong thread. I didn't mean to resurrect such an old one.
    not so mrC ..
    new member Surfacing will appreaciate it

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    not so mrC ..
    new member Surfacing will appreaciate it
    Alright then,

Here are my two bottles:

The red capped one is labeled "Made in France" and the Black Capped one is labeled "made in Italy."

The black capped one is obviously the vintage one. The vintage smells much better. It's sort of like the difference between a knock-off and an original.

Edit: I made a mistake -- The black one is labeled "Italy" and the Red one is "France." I transposed them previously.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 17th September 2008 at 07:20 PM.

Wow ... Ive never seen that box before !!
    I own the version in the mottled box but as yours with a black cap .

I wonder what the difference is between the two boxes, if any.

I wonder what the difference is between the two boxes, if any.
    time for lovers of this to unite in an Ungaro III day .
    I can fix you up with some mottled box black cap juice .
    Then your noise can compare & report on the two

SALES

Smile Re: rare LARGE 3.4 oz. spray Ungaro III Eau de Toilette Cologne for Men

Quite an interesting post is this.I have just checked my bottle of ungaro pour l"homme 111 and i have the black capped formulation-and mine is made in italy-so i dont know if i have the vintage version or the reformulated version-it is an amazing scent though(in my top 10 of fragrances for sure)

I don't think you can tell by packaging whether it's vintage or not. I believe it's the ones that say "made in France" that are vintage. I could be wrong though. They are both very good! The vintage is just better... smells more expensive and there's more sandalwood.

So the plot thickens then.....

mrclmind, what box did your red cap bottle come in?

I have a red cap gold-shouldered motled-boxed 100ml bottle, but I will have to wait until I'm home to see where it is made.

Actually, this helps a lot

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus View Post

I think I will return my sealed Ungaro III from where I bought it after reading this.

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    So the plot thickens then.....

mrclmind, what box did your red cap bottle come in?

I have a red cap gold-shouldered motled-boxed 100ml bottle, but I will have to wait until I'm home to see where it is made.
    I can't remember for sure, but I think it was in the red box.

I went to one of my local perfumeries where I find all the rarities. He had both the black and red boxes with both the black and red caps. They are all marked "made in Italy." So be sure you check the place where it was manufactured; box color and lid color have nothing to do with it. Also, be clear that it says "Ungaro of Paris." So when you are asking about where it was made, don't let them think that "Ungaro of Paris" means "made in France." It says both on the back of the box and on the bottom of the bottle whether it is made in France or Italy. The one made in France appears to be the vintage one.

I smelled both of the "made in Italy" bottles today (red and black boxes and caps) and they were identical. I reiterate: Only if it says "made in France" will you be getting the vintage Ungaro III.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 17th September 2008 at 11:06 PM.

I went to one of my local perfumeries where I find all the rarities. He had both the black and red boxes with both the black and red caps. They are all marked "made in Italy." So be sure you check the place where it was manufactured; box color and lid color have nothing to do with it. Also, be clear that it says "Ungaro of Paris." So when you are asking about where it was made, don't let them think that "Ungaro of Paris" means "made in France." It says both on the back of the box and on the bottom of the bottle whether it is made in France or Italy. The one made in France appears to be the vintage one.

I smelled both of the "made in Italy" bottles today (red and black boxes and caps) and they were identical. I reiterate: Only if it says "made in France" will you be getting the vintage Ungaro III.
    I am dissapointed that Ungaro III was reformulated so I will probably return it. What would you say is better: Reformulated Ungaro III or Rochas Lui?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I am dissapointed that Ungaro III was reformulated so I will probably return it. What would you say is better: Reformulated Ungaro III or Rochas Lui?
    Different fragrances. I love both. I don't have a problem with the reformulated Ungaro III; Ungaro III I classify asFougere/Floral scent; whereas Rochas is more of a Chypre/Woody scent but has much more sweetness and verges on the edge of being an oriental. Ungaro III doesn't have quite as much sweetness. They really are very different creatures. You can't go wrong with either one IMO. Don't worry about the reformulation though, just smell each and see which you prefer.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 18th September 2008 at 03:49 AM.

AromiErotici

This is a great thread. The search for the Holy Grail Ungaro III is on !!!

Correct me now if I'm wrong.....The Real Deal Ungaro III has the RED CAP and is made in France written on the bottle? None of the "made in France" versions come with a black cap...correct?

Holy Grail ?
    Aroma ... there are thousands of U III online everywhere with some uncapped testers starting at 99c on Ebay ....... sure they are the later versions .
    imho ,, its only a holy grail for very few & only if you really like bubble gum as well .

SALES

AromiErotici

Holy Grail ?
    Aroma ... there are thousands of U III online everywhere with some uncapped testers starting at 99c on Ebay ....... sure they are the later versions .
    imho ,, its only a holy grail for very few & only if you really like bubble gum as well .
    Bubble gum????

I like bubble gum too ....
    i'll paint you the scenario in a pm , or maybe here .. its fun .
    then you will get a better understanding

SALES

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    This is a great thread. The search for the Holy Grail Ungaro III is on !!!

Correct me now if I'm wrong.....The Real Deal Ungaro III has the RED CAP and is made in France written on the bottle? None of the "made in France" versions come with a black cap...correct?
    I would venture to bet if you found an Ungaro III labeled "Made in France" it would be the vintage stuff no matter what the bottle cap/box colors are.

AromiErotici

I like bubble gum too ....
    i'll paint you the scenario in a pm , or maybe here .. its fun .
    then you will get a better understanding
    Please expand on the bubble gum scenario as I am fond of gum also.
    I would venture to bet if you found an Ungaro III labeled "Made in France" it would be the vintage stuff no matter what the bottle cap/box colors are.
    I sent a message to an ebay seller to describe the item since his listed picture had the red cap......yet I'm sure the reformulaton is very good as well.

Wow thanks for all the work and reporting mrclmind! I think this is finally cleared up!

My red cap is made in Italy, so must be the reformulated, but I think it's great and complex and lasts a very long time on me, and it's one of the few I routinely get compliments on.
    I can't even imagine what the original must be like, and it's probably better that I stay ignorant.

I've gotten the black cap and mottled box which is made in Italy and I imagine the Ungaro's are Italian so I'm going to wear this a lot. Plus it costs about $19.00 on ebay with the $10.00 for shipping that the 100ml bottle brings.

But we still have to beware the ebayer selling Ungaro III for $90.00. Seems no matter what I look for there's always one person selling for 10 times what the average is.

Exactly how rare are the original formulations? I have a 1 ounce red capped, Made In Italy bottle with no gold bands at the top and bottom. I thought the Italian-Mades were black capped. I also have a 3.4 oz bottle with a red cap. Don't remember where it was made, though. Probably France, as I recall it smelled a bit different than the 1 ounce Italian. But they both have red caps...Hmmm

I know what the new black box and black cap Ungaro smells like and it smells nothing like my Rose petal box with black cap and golden shoulders...is this what you guys are saying when u say vintage?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsley_f5 View Post
    I know what the new black box and black cap Ungaro smells like and it smells nothing like my Rose petal box with black cap and golden shoulders...is this what you guys are saying when u say vintage?
    Can you tell us whether your red capped bottle says "made in Italy" or "made in France" on the back?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsley_f5 View Post
    To sum up the thread thus far (if I may):

As far as we know (through hard investigation by dedicated basenoters), the information pertinent to determining whether the fragrance is the original formulation (ďvintageĒ) or the newer formulation is **where the fragrance is made**.
    -The original formulation is made in France
    -The newer formulation is made in Italy

The color of the caps and boxes and whether the bottle has gold on it or not is irrelevant.

(I hope that is accurate, I think it is )

AromiErotici

That's not vintage Ungaro Pour L'Homme III. The vintage one has a red cap instead of black cap and is made in France not Italy. Also, the bottle is different. See immediately below for images and a couple of posts down for more details:

scentemental
    I have, over the last few weeks, contacted a slew of ebay sellers of Ungaro III and have yet to find ONE SELLER that has the "Made in France" version.

Too bad. From the reviews in this thread, I wouldn't even consider purchasing the Italian version now.