Code of Conduct

Default Eau du Soir by Sisley - a misunderstood gem?

This was my second big discovery, during my last trip to Paris. Apart from Eau de Campagne (which I was never totally sold on), I had no knowledge of any other Sisley fragrances. However, there was something about the bottle design that caught my eye – heavy, minimalistic and ever so tastefully designed. I grabbed the tester bottle and spritzed my arm. I was then met with this strong, sharp and dry citrus opening that completely blew me away!

But it wasn’t only the opening that clicked with me – this fragrance also had a sense of sophistication, luxury and decadence. The drydown retained some of the citrus notes, becoming more herbal over time (with detectable traces of patchouli, moss and pepper). At first, this worried me as most herbal/chypres hadn’t really worked on my skin. However, Eau du Soir came up thrumps, retaining its sparkling freshness as it developed more into a fresh chypre. I seriously couldn’t stop smelling my arm – it was that addictive! A day after purchasing Spiritueuse Double Vanille, I went back and purchased a 100ml bottle of this – my second consecutive fragrance, marketed for women, added to my wardrobe.

Eau du Soir is a rich and complex fresh chypre, with floral notes that are quite subtle (but were not detectable to me), and its longevity and sillage are excellent. It was only after falling in love with this gem that I discovered it is marketed for women. I would have to seriously disagree – it comes across as more unisex than feminine, especially with the floral notes so far in the background of the composition. Also, for a fragrance that came out onto the market in 1990, I’m amazed at how contemporary and modern it still smells. Initially, I assumed it had been released within the last five years or so, so you can imagine my surprise. This stuff certainly has a timeless quality about it.

It reeks of class in abundance and, although reviewers have been divided on when best to wear this, I would say that Eau du Soir is probably better for warmer (but not terribly hot) months – it needs the warm air to bring those citrus notes to life and to generate maximum sillage. For those who love Creeds, some of the Ormonde Jayne offerings for men, or Richard James will find something highly rewarding about Eau du Soir. As for negative points, the cap is an ugly piece of gold-sprayed plastic, imitating a sculpture - I immediately threw mine away.

It’s expensive stuff but definitely worth investigating. But don’t be afraid – it’s not as feminine as you might think.
    Last edited by Trebor; 28th October 2007 at 11:44 AM.

Default Re: Eau du Soir by Sisley - a misunderstood gem?

To my nose, it's unisex, but more feminine scent. Wonderful, long-lasting chypre.

But personally I liked the newest scent from Sisley - Soir de Lune, created by D.Ropion
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

All the three of them are wonderful. This company takes their time before a new perfume is released, and that is as noticeable as is their quality! The price kept me from buying Eau de Campagne, which I consider the best green frag available. But I do not know all of the greens, and have forgotten how Vent Vert smells. Eau du Soir.... I always have this picture of a lady on her way out to the theatre, in full gear with mink, long sleeve gloves,and handbag. ... So, I am afraid I never will buy it for myself. But I can't stop stealing a spritz when I come by that counter. By Malle's standards or Lutens' it could easily be called unisex.
    --------------------------------------
    All the three of them are wonderful. This company takes their time before a new perfume is released, and that is as noticeable as is their quality! The price kept me from buying Eau de Campagne, which I consider the best green frags available. But I do not know all of them, and have forgotten how Vent Vert smells. Eau du Soir.... I always have this picture of a lady on her way out to a concert. So, I am afraid I never will buy it for myself. But I can't stop stealing a spritz when I come by that counter. By Malle's standards or Lutens' it could easily be called unisex nowadays.
    Last edited by narcus; 28th October 2007 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    All the three of them are wonderful. This company takes their time before a new perfume is released, and that is as noticeable as is their quality! The price kept me from buying Eau de Campagne, which I consider the best green frag available. But I do not know all of the greens, and have forgotten how Vent Vert smells. Eau du Soir.... I always have this picture of a lady on her way out to the theatre, in full gear with mink, long sleeve gloves,and handbag. ... So, I am afraid I never will buy it for myself. But I can't stop stealing a spritz when I come by that counter. By Malle's standards or Lutens' it could easily be called unisex.
    --------------------------------------
    All the three of them are wonderful. This company takes their time before a new perfume is released, and that is as noticeable as is their quality! The price kept me from buying Eau de Campagne, which I consider the best green frags available. But I do not know all of them, and have forgotten how Vent Vert smells. Eau du Soir.... I always have this picture of a lady on her way out to a concert. So, I am afraid I never will buy it for myself. But I can't stop stealing a spritz when I come by that counter. By Malle's standards or Lutens' it could easily be called unisex nowadays.
    Hey Narcus, the Swiss alps are producing an echo
    Only know (and love) Campagne, I'll have to try the others when I get the chance. Sisley is easily overlooked, they're not a "hot" name.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Good thread. There's an interesting review of Eau du Soir at Now Smell This recently, seems generally to agree with the opinions voiced here. I've never tried EdS, but I love PG's Corps et Ames, which is reviewed alongside it at Now Smell This.
    Last edited by PaulSC; 28th October 2007 at 06:09 PM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

I do Love this scent....I have thought about it for a while now.....I also feel that this is unisex.....more for a Man than a Women.....I can't see my Wife wearing this at all. Some day I'll purchase this....that's for sure.....Gary

I have EdS in my collection too. It doesn't smell "feminine" on me.