Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Shaving...be honest

Is it really more comfortable to shave with the whole fancy setup: the dish of water; the expensive shaving soap; the lather brush; the oil; the old school razor? I mean, I use a Mach 3 and Edge Sensitive Skin and it basically feels like I'm running a spoon over my face, especially if I'm just out of the shower.

The only value I can see in being fancy about it is aesthetic (which is fine...but I'm wondering about the comfort factor), but then I've never tried it. What gives?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Default Re: Shaving...be honest

Hmmnmm. This is tough to explain. Let me give you my experience and see if it sets this up in the right way. For years I used an electric razor, quick and nothing special. I was always in a hurry anyway, so I had no time to wet shave. I have 5 'clock shadow by 4 but what the heck. Then the shaver broke, and the new one was terrible. I bought some "good news" disposables and found out that SMN made a great shave cream, and it is great-- the hagen daz of canned shave creams, so rich and fragrant. Then I started to develop a routine. I took a little time in the morning. Found some preshave oils and after shaves I liked. It's all experimental, like fragrance hunting. I found some other great shave creams, and the wonderful Merkur blades, the brush and stuff my wife got me for Christmas, and I was off to the races. I have a Tivoli radio, I listen to the BBC news or music, I whip up the cream, etc... it's a wonderul ritual and "time for ME" in the morning. The shave is incredible. No 5 o'clock shadow, and I have fun because I make time for it. I love DR Harris Pink lotion (aftershave) and Forbes makes an out of this world lime shave cream; et hoc genus omes...

Yes, I get started a little earlier in the morning to accomodate this ritual, but I love it.

I have turned a quick nuisance, drudge process into something I enjoy... I think that that is what it's all about.

I've only gone as far as the fancy shave creams and pre-shave oil -- yes, that stuff really does make a difference. Actually, Proraso shave cream isn't really all that fancy at $10, Sharps is pretty decent stuff for less than $5. And considering that a $14 tube of Anthony Logistics shave cream just lasted 7 months for me, that's really not too much more expensive than aerosol gel. My last tub of Caswell-Massey lasted almost a year.

I'm not buying into the brush, straight razor thing though, regardless of how beautiful and interesting the fancy tools are - and those Dovo razors really are impressively nice. I just don't have time for all that ceremony and maintenance. And really, there's isn't too much bad to say about a vibrating 5-blade Mach V anyways.

Maybe for somebody with lots of facial hair, a brush might be nice. For me it just made an annoying mess (lather in the mouth, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    ....I have turned a quick nuisance, drudge process into something I enjoy... I think that that is what it's all about.
    Ok, but "Is it really more comfortable to shave with the whole fancy setup?"

I used to be a devoted Edge and Gillette Sensor Excel user for a long time. The combination was the most gentle on my break-out prone skin. Then I discovered Tend Skin Air Shave Gel. It's amazing stuff. Blows Edge out of the water as far as lubricating the skin. I switched to that and haven't looked back. Then, I tried the Gillette M3 Power when it came onto the market. Wow! Such a huge improvement over the Sensor Excel. I loved this thing but the blades are just too expensive (along with all the other 3, 4, and 5 bladed contraptions on the market these days). So a couple years ago I tried a Merkur double edge. It doesn't get quite as close as the M3 Power but it is a very comfortable close (enough) shave and the blades are ridiculously cheap compared to the other various multi-blade, lube-stripped, disposable "shave systems." For me, the slightly less close shave is fine because it is not as likely to cause me razor burn or break-outs. I shave in the shower too which helps soften my facial hair and keeps my skin warm and moist.

I've also tried a couple shave oils and a shave cream. They didn't come close to the Tend Skin in lubrication capability. You could do a search in this forum and find other posts where I have raved about Tend Skin. It's not great for heavy growth but for every-day or every-other-day shaving, I haven't found anything better.

I used Pacific Shaving Oil for the first time this morning. Coupled with a new blade on my Gillette Fusion, it is one one the best shaves i've ever had.

I use a wet/dry electric (Panasonic Pro Curve) in the shower with King of Shaves Kinexium shave oil, does a great job.

I use quality after shave balms, makes me feel good, special and I smell good since it usually is matched to my fragrance.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

So it sounds like it's really all about the cream/gel you use, and how often you change the blades.

However, Joe_Frances does paint a tantalizing picture...
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I do think that alot of it does indeed have to do with aesthetics..I don't think it makes a "major" difference as far as using say edge gel over anthony logistics shave cream or whatever. However, I do believe it makes a difference, though. As far as the brush and bowl, etc...I think the advantages would be very minor...except for with a full beard. Myself I use Anthony Logistics shave cream with an (the) art of shaving blade (5-blade Fusion). I keep a bottle of Anthony oil along with the astringent and razor burn repair, etc...plus I always shave after a hot shower and scrub. For what it's worth, the difference to me from using the less expensive stuff is that with Anthony Logistics, for example, my face "never" breaks out and always feels extremely "clean" after the shave. It leaves no film or greasy residue as did some of the cheaper stuff. I just simply get a close shave with less cuts. As many on this site are, I'm very much into using quality (and high end in some cases) products/fragrances just to simply give me that extra edge of confidence and perhaps better overall "handsome-ness"...for lack of a better word. If one simply doesn't like to spend the money or doesn't necessarily see shaving as a ritual per se, then yeah, just stick to the cheaper drugstore products. It's not that they're just bad I don't think, but if you shave after showering or in the shower and scrub, etc...you'll probably be ok. Like I said, though, the main difference for me is that I feel I receive a closer and cleaner shave with the whole setup thing. I too have turned shaving into something I enjoy.

It's certainly not about spending a lot of money. If the issue is pure efficiency, then I accept that you can probably get a good result with a gel and a disposable. To me it's like an interest in fragrances. It is something one engages in as an activity to experiment with a possibly enjoyable life experience. I found the badger & blade website, and simply let myself be instructed a bit until I found my own way. I found that Nancy Boy brushless shave cream gave me a better shave than any of the gels. I also use Pacific Shaving Oil as a pre-shave oil; and on a trip I get a small jar of Nancy Boy cucumber brushless, and frankly I have a ball. It's a fun thing to do, what can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    However, Joe_Frances does paint a tantalizing picture...
    From a woman's perspective, the fancy/old-fashioned setup is pretty sexy compared to a quick shave. It seems sensuous, the visual is appealing, and the idea of someone slowing down and taking a little extra time.... very nice!
    Last edited by tang; 30th October 2007 at 11:35 AM. Reason: punctuation
    Sniff and let sniff.

^ Oh my, you two should exchange numbers
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by bsmith001 View Post
    For what it's worth, the difference to me from using the less expensive stuff is that with Anthony Logistics, for example, my face "never" breaks out and always feels extremely "clean" after the shave.
    Do you have breakout prone skin, and the gel made it go away? Or do you have generally clear skin, and the acne as simply not made an appearance with the Anthony Logistics? Just curious.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 30th October 2007 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

^ Oh my, you two should exchange numbers

Do you have breakout prone skin, and the gel made it go away? Or do you have generally clear skin, and the acne as simply not made an appearance with the Anthony Logistics? Just curious.
    Well, it's never been too much of a problem except for in my early teens somewhat but even in college some using the gels I would occasionally get a breakout from shaving...nothing too bad but I did notice it sometimes. Now, however, using Anthony Log., I think it seems to rinse off alot easier in addition to a closer shave. Although the shave "cream", which I use (I haven't tried the gel from Anthony yet), provides subperb lubrication, in a way it seems to act almost like a cleanser. I just like the clean face feeling afterwards. I've also really been wanting to try Kiehl's lately. I hear their white eagle and also blue eagle cream is amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    From a woman's perspective, the fancy/old-fashioned setup is pretty sexy compared to a quick shave. It seems sensuous, the visual is appealing, and the idea of someone slowing down and taking a little extra time.... very nice!
    Very well said. That's what it's all about... Just like the lost art of taking the time to write a personal letter using a fine fountain pen and luxurious stationary, for example. I don't mean to get off subject, but it is indeed sexy..for a man or woman, I think, to simply "take their time."...So much by the way of living a healthy and sound life can simply be learned from "shaving." Sounds silly, but very true.
    Last edited by bsmith001; 30th October 2007 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Smile Re: Shaving...be honest

I used to use an electric because my dad did. Had to go over my face and neck quit a bit to get a halfways decent shave. Then started using gillette disposables in the navy. They wouldn't let us have electics in boot camp. Just used canned cream. Recently bought a murker safety and tried the brush cream thing. I just couldn't get used to the safety razor. I was either too cautious or too aggressive. Finally started using the five bladed gillette non vibrating and jack black shave lotion. Worked great but then discovered pacific shaving oil and I can finally see where I am shaving and it works great. No burn. Zip zap and I am done. Especially if I wait to shave after I get out of the shower. I put the oil on then brush my teeth. After that my beard is ready for the razor.

Rick
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

I used to use a Mach 3, but switched to safety razors. With exception of the ridiculous prices and low longevity of refill cartridges, I never had a real problem with the M3, I just wanted a change.

I now shave with a vintage English Tech and Merkur blades. It is quite a different shave, not as numb as the M3, and I feel that I have a lot more control...and ability to cut myself. I like my M3, but I feel it is more of a sacred ritual when I use my Tech. There is something very old school and nostalgic about applying lather to the face (I use Proraso), screwing in a razor blade, and then shearing the hairs off and feeling them as they leave. I feel a greater connection with my father and grandfather as well, as this was how they did it. Overall, it is just a more pleasureable experience for me.
    You are not your perfume.

I just use an electric shaver, duct tape, vasoline and a banana!

I agree, tang, this whole ritual sounds nice to watch, and it would be nice to perhaps help a little, too
    Last edited by rtamara41; 1st November 2007 at 10:14 AM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas V View Post
    ... There is something very old school and nostalgic about applying lather to the face (I use Proraso), screwing in a razor blade, and then shearing the hairs off and feeling them as they leave. I feel a greater connection with my father and grandfather as well, as this was how they did it. Overall, it is just a more pleasureable experience for me.
    I agree. I use my grandfather's vintage Gillette safety razor for the nostalgic feel and classic masculine ritual of the morning shave. The razor is at least 60 years old or more but still works fine. The only difficulty is finding blades for it. I only use the safety razor for my face though. I prefer the pivoting blades for shaving my head.

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    I agree, tang, this whole ritual sounds nice to watch, and it would be nice to perhaps help a little, too
    OH no... no helping with the straight blade Miss Sweeney Todd!

I use a DE that my grandfather also gave me and have a couple straights I use on weekend mornings. I don't know that the whole soap thing is nessary (I do use it however) I just found that the single blade works better for my face. After using the Mach 3 in the service and always having breakouts etc. I gave up and went with this.

To be honest I think the real difference is that you don't move too fast or push too hard with a single blade as you WILL get cut. With the M3 one pays less attention and just shaves in a hurry. I think that is where the issue really is.
    Last edited by valhson; 1st November 2007 at 01:47 PM. Reason: 'to' to 'too'

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    I agree. I use my grandfather's vintage Gillette safety razor for the nostalgic feel and classic masculine ritual of the morning shave. The razor is at least 60 years old or more but still works fine. The only difficulty is finding blades for it. I only use the safety razor for my face though. I prefer the pivoting blades for shaving my head.

Michael,

Blades for your Gillette can be purchased at these two places:

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/

http://www.razorandbrush.com/barberiablade.html

The sampler packs are worth getting to identify the blades that work best for you.

I have a lot of different blades. Send me your address via pm and I'll send you some.

jim

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I recall with fond nostalgia my grandpa and his Bakelite-handled three piece double-edged safety razor. He used a beaver tailed shaving brush and regular bar soap in a coffee cup for foam. The razor held a Gillette Blue Blade and he employed a 3-foot long leather stropping device that used a special holder to 'sharpen' the used blade. Hopelessly dulled and/or damaged blade disposal? The slot in the back of the medicine cabinet and into the wall space, of course.

A dozen or so strokes of the blade sharpening device in his right hand along the 1-1/2" wide leather strop held stiff by a thong attachment looped to the bathroom door knob and his other hand pulling the other end, and viola! The old blade was ready for another semi-smooth shave.
    Last edited by kbe; 2nd November 2007 at 11:25 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Arrow Re: Shaving...be honest

I use a Braun electric shaver. My beard is too thick and gets stuck with regular razors, unfortunately. I also use King of Shaves Kinexium pre-shave oil and that has changed my life. I've tried many pre-shave oils and this seems to be the best. Post-shave I simply use my Clinique Scruffing Lotion followed by some L'Oreal Men's Expert Comfort Max Anti-Irritation After Shave Balm (this stuff is cheap and great and I've tried many from expensive and high end to drugstore). Fun stuff.
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

I enjoy using traditional shaving techniques.,A badger brush and simple chemical free shaving soap leaves my face totally devoid of stubble and smooth as a baby's butt well into the late evening. Followed by a chemical and dye free after shave balm my skin looks and feels great.
    For more info on "proper" shaving check out Badger and Blade.

Here is my shave set up from today.
    Last edited by goosemeplease; 18th November 2007 at 05:20 AM.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by goosemeplease View Post
    Wow Someone on that thread is show'n off their damascus straight razor.....and it's a beauty. Now that's some hard-core shaving.

Thumbs up Re: Shaving...be honest

Please excuse a woman butting in here. The question was, is there a reason for the whole wet shaving thing.

I think in some cases there really is.

My husband was shaving for about 45 mins with an electric razor and not getting a good shave. Partly this was age and the beard hairs getting tough, and partly it was medication for osteoporosis. When he decided to give wet shaving a go a few months ago, he went onto Badger and Blade for information on how to do it.

After trying lots of sample blades and different double-edged safety razors he has now ended up with a Merkur Slant and Feather blades. He uses lovely Trumpers soaps and creams and also skin food, facial toner etc. He has now got a dedicated glass shelf for all his stuff and it takes up more room in our bathroom than my facial stuff!

BUT

He gets a really close smooth shave-and I mean REALLY close and smooth, with no razor burn and he always smells nice, too. AND his acne is better, because of all the exfoliation involved in shaving.

Badger and Blade has a lot of information for those with problems shaving.

Daughter's boyfriend is coming over from Australia and apparently he uses foam from a can and disposables and he only shaves every couple of days as his face hurts aftewards for at least a day. He uses foam from a can and disposables, which drag on the skin. My husband is going to teach him to wet shave and see if he likes it and see if his face feels good afterwards.

Badger and Blade people also recommend wet shaving for men who get infections in the hair follicles of the beard hairs, as apparently this condition can be managed completely by wet shaving.

So the answer is yes, for some people there really is a good reason.

But that doesn't stop them having to try every single Trumpers soap just to see which they like best, then work their way through Taylors, then Truefitts....just like being a perfumista, really.

I wouldn't know. All I use is some shave oil. The cream makes little to no difference on my skin. After my shower I apply the oil and wait a minute, and then do a quick shave. It takes maybe 2 minutes at most.

I have wet shaved for years now using the latest gillette multiblade. I finally got the fusion vibrating last year and used it for 5-6 weeks exclusively shaving every other day. I got the worst shave of my life with the razor dragging across my skin. Worst of all, I ended up with far more ingrown hairs and bumps than ever before. My lower neck was a total mess.

I then reverted back to shaving with the Mach3 and there was an immediate improvement, but I still felt there must be a better way to shave. I decided to do some research online and came across Tend skin for ingrowns, but the idea of slapping on smelly, harsh, stinging chemicals on my skin everyday was not appealing.

Then, I came across an article by Leisureguy on gourmet shaving which sparked my interest in 'Traditional Wetshaving'. Then I found Mantic59 videos on youtube and from there the shaving forums.

I purchased a Merkur Futur, Trumper's Rose cream and a silvertip badger brush. Wow! what a difference. No more ingrown hairs, not a single one and just smooth wonderful skin. All my co-workers were commenting on how I was 'looking good' but they couldn't decide exactly what was different.

Yes, there is a learning curve and it takes weeks to learn how to use a DE razor properly but it is well worth the effort. I now enjoy shaving and have 25 different creams/soap to choose from every morning!

I once went through the process of Electric-fusion-DE-Straight. I now shave every morning with my meager collection of 3 straight razors that I hone and strop down to 1-2 microns. With all nostalgia and vanity aside, it's a satisfying feeling knowing that the sharpness is achieved by your own hard work.

That being aside, I am always disturbed by people pushing the health/smoothness effect obtained by using a DE or straight. Yes it can bring you to the closest shave possible, but you can get the same effect with a Mach 3, Quattro, fusion...in a quatre of the time.

I also use Trumpers shave cream and badger brush but I disagree again with the people saying it aid in shaving. Yes it feels and smells good but with a well saturated beard, you razor blade will glide along Barbasol as well as any shave lather you spent 5 mins whipping up.

It's fun, it's an experience, and it's a very pleasant way to start your day, but let's leave it at that.

Cool Re: Shaving...be honest

Is it really more comfortable to shave with the whole fancy setup: the dish of water; the expensive shaving soap; the lather brush; the oil; the old school razor? I mean, I use a Mach 3 and Edge Sensitive Skin and it basically feels like I'm running a spoon over my face, especially if I'm just out of the shower.

The only value I can see in being fancy about it is aesthetic (which is fine...but I'm wondering about the comfort factor), but then I've never tried it. What gives?
    What is life without aesthetics?
    My shaving routine goes like this: I am awaked just before dawn by bluebidrs chirping.
    I rise, go outside my apartment building and perform the ancient stretching Yoga ritual " Salutation to the Sun. "
    Being a purist, I usually do this "sky-clad" (naked). Next, if the neighbors haven't called the police and gotten me arrested, I go back inside, light some high grade Kyara incense, and sit in Zen meditation until I hear a knock on my door.
    This would be my chado (tea) master. We then perform the traditional tea ceremony.

This is all to get me geared up for my shaving ritual.
    I confess I committed a faux pax once. I got so immersed in Za-Zen egolesness, that I poured a bowl of Salter's Sandalwood cream instead of tea on the master's cup. He's 90 years old and has senile attacks, so he was most understanding.

After he leaves, some hours later, I gather my shaving paraphenalia, bow to my Buddha nature in the mirror and commence!

I find all this helps me face life's vicissitudes enormously. Especially since by the time I'm done, it's about 4:30 p.m. And I may have time left to contact the unemployment office. Or go back to sleep.

I remember the tea masted once remarked: " Time is an illusion. "
    But unfortunately, at the first of each month, my landlord disagrees.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gentlemen: Are you out of your minds? If I were a retired multimillionare I might have time for all this. As it is, I use a Mach 3, Crabtree and Evelyn's (apparently discontinued) almond cream or the aforementioned Salter's Sandalwood; a Badger Brush, hot tap water and pray for the best.
    Oh yes, verbum sapienti; Proraso sort of stinks, but if you've got a hangover, nothing will wake you up more quickly.

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 25th November 2007 at 07:37 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

The whole old fashioned barbershop approach is too slow for me. I have the best of both worlds: I use the dish of water with cream to relish the moisturizing properties of the essential oils in the top old world creams, and I use Sensor excel blades for a fast yet close shave.
    -

Paul Mitchell tea tree shampoo is nice and slimy when lavishly applied to my wet bald head in a hot shower. Gillette Fusion 5-blade cartridges make quick work of tough stubble, and the tea tree oil soothes and tingles my skin. I've been doing this for a couple of months now and have had no more problems with razor burn.

For my face it's a Fusion razor, art of shaving unscented cream, and a badger brush.
    Last edited by Scentsibility; 25th November 2007 at 10:23 PM.
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post

I remember the tea masted once remarked: " Time is an illusion. "
    Yes, but a damned persistent one.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by lasta View Post

That being aside, I am always disturbed by people pushing the health/smoothness effect obtained by using a DE or straight. Yes it can bring you to the closest shave possible, but you can get the same effect with a Mach 3, Quattro, fusion...in a quatre of the time.

I know a lot of men who get good shaves with the Fusion/Mach3/Quattro etc. However, there are many, myself included, who get ingrown hairs with multiblade razor. Switching to the DE and learning good technique has completely abolished ingrowns, leading to smoother, healthier looking skin.

I switched to a straight razor and artisan-made shaving soaps earlier this year, and I have not looked back. I've cut myself more times than I can count, but my face looks and feels far better than it ever has, cuts included.

No, I'm not saving money by any stretch of the imagination, and my shaves take longer than they used to, but that is my one moment of luxury to start the day, and that sort of peacefulness lingers throughout the day.

Part of the appeal was overcoming the intimidation factor of a bare edge and old-world skills. I certainly haven't gone overboard with the bowl and the mug and the scuttle and all that, but I get satisfaction from maintaining my own razors and knowing I won't be in a pinch. Truth is I got good shaves from a tube of Proraso and a mach 3, but I hated buying those blades over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by lasta View Post
    It's fun, it's an experience, and it's a very pleasant way to start your day, but let's leave it at that.
    I agree with your post 100%. There are tens of reasons why people prefer the DE/straight razor approach, but when it comes down to it, it's really all about the quality of the whole experience.

The best way to start my day is to spend as very little time shaving as possible.

As a matter of fact, shaving with those barbaric pieces of plastic and metal was my most dreaded daily routine. After years of torture I finally experimented with electric razors and the only thing I regret is not trying them earlier. No better way to start the day than shaving in 3 minutes, leave the shaver in the cleaning station and off you are.

It might not be "classy", but it sure is practical.
    Last edited by krytical; 9th December 2007 at 07:17 AM.

After years using high end electrics (various Brauns, Norelco, etc.), then Gilettes and what not, even a short DE stint, I have completely switched to straight razors. For me - there is a huge difference.

I like it so much, especially a late night / early morning shave (1-2 am or so) taking my time with the lather, stropping the razor, wiping the stubble with a velvety edge... You can really feel the moment and do it for its own sake, it's simultaneously a serene and exhilarating experience

Cheers
    Ivo

Quote Originally Posted by goosemeplease View Post
    I enjoy using traditional shaving techniques.,A badger brush and simple chemical free shaving soap leaves my face totally devoid of stubble and smooth as a baby's butt well into the late evening. Followed by a chemical and dye free after shave balm my skin looks and feels great.
    For more info on "proper" shaving check out Badger and Blade.

What goosemeplease said. I actually 'found' Basenotes thanks to mentions from the guys at Badger and Blade.

As for shaving, once you understand what you're doing, the 'setup' works alot better than the can and cartidge. Its also cheaper in the long run (unless you go into Acquisition Disorder mode, but thats another story).

To learn about wet shaving, mantic from badgerandblade created a great set of training videos.

http://www.youtube.com/mantic59

Not all setups are fancy.

- A simple good brush will cost you $10-15 (Tweezerman, Omega, C&E)
    - Decent adjustable razor will cost you $50 (Merkur Progress) or less if you hunt around Ebay
    - Coffee mug - $0 every one has a mug
    - Blades - 100 Derby's go for around $12. A single DE blade is double sided and will shave you for a week per side. You'll use two blades a month.
    - Soap - 0$ Everyone has soap.

Thats it. For $75 you can shave yourself for 4 years. Compare that that to the cost of cartridges and cans of shaving cream/gel. The Progress is designed to last a lifetime. All you have to do is replace your brush every couple of years and buy more inexpensive DE blades. Compare a 15 cent DE blade to a $2.00 cartridge - the 'setup' will start earning you a profit after the first year.

My Shaving History:
    Started out with Bic Disposables and a can of Barbasol. 50-50 shot at either getting a good shave or looking like someone rubbed sandpaper on my face.

Years passed. I was on vacation and decided to buy a cheap 3 dollar boar bristle brush. I used leftover soap stirred in a coffee mug (stuff too small to bathe with or lifted from hotels) to make lather. Just the fact that I was rubbing the lather into my face improved the odds of a good shave to 70-30.

After about two years of using the Bic and Brush, I started shaving in the shower. The combination of steam, brush and massaged in lather upped the odds of a good shave to 95-5.

Over the years, I upgraded as stuff wore away. I bought a better brush, nicer razor. better (and scented) soaps, and every day I get a great shave that is a pleasure rather than a chore.

In my book, a simple wetshaving setup beats the cartridge and can school of shaving all the time.
    Last edited by brooklynlou; 13th December 2007 at 06:16 PM.

What are these razors you speak of? I'm considering just getting a machine that plucks all my leg hairs out. Hmm. I can't stand it...I can only use the women's blades about 3 times max before my legs start to look like a plucked chicken. The benefit of having a straight blade around w/the leather razor strap on the bathroom door is that you can yank that thing off the door and chase after the kids when they need some good disciplining. KIDDING.
    Always remember you are unique; just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by sameasalways View Post
    leather razor strap on the bathroom door is that you can yank that thing off the door and chase after the kids when they need some good disciplining. KIDDING.

I wish my Old Man was KIDDING! My cute Tush went through some tough times on the road to glamour.

Sad but true.... Ha...that is what is wrong w/todays generation of young kids...no razor strap. I remember my mother telling me about her father chasing after her w/it and leaving the words imprinted against her skin. My grandfather did have the mug w/the brush and soap...I always remember that.
    Always remember you are unique; just like everyone else.

If you want to cut yourself, have razor burn, break outs, and ingrown hairs from time to time, by all means use the canned shaving cream and bic/gillette razors. If not, buy Clinique scruffing lotion, a badger hair brush, find a nice shave cream/gel with no alcohol and plenty of shea butter or aloe, and a nice heavy shaver that takes regular mach 3 turbo razors. Step 1: Apply Scruffing lotion to wherever you are going to shave to open up the pours. Step 2: Follow with washcloth drenched in HOT water. Step 3: Place Cream/Gel on brush and in circular motion apply. Step 4: WITH the grain shave. Following this pattern, I have not cut myself or had any burn or break outs in over 10 years. I can't even remember the last time I had something go wrong shaving. I think I just cursed myself.
    Your Kung Fu is No Good Here

At the very least, you should use a boar's hair brush to apply your shaving cream. You will never go back to applying cream with your hands again.

I can't stand shaving. Not many people do. Every two days is about as much as I can take, and I usually do it at night, so that the bleeding has a chance to stop and the rashes heal before I venture out again in the morning. Usually, I have used the generic brands of shaving creams (the foamy stuff) and gilette razors. I still have a rash, but I'm used to it.

Just recently, I have started trying other products, although up until tonight I had forever sworn off shaving "creams" over shaving "foams", because I usually found the thinner something is spread on my face, the more I felt I was turning into Sweeney Todd. (ie, copious amounts of blood).

However, tonight I used Kiehl's products: used a facial scrub in the shower prior to shaving, used a "white eagle" shaving cream spread as thinly as I dared, shaved, (with a new razor by the way, which usually rips me apart), and followed it up with the multi purpose facial formula.

For someone who hates shaving so much (see first sentence), it was the best shave I have ever had. Period.

I can thoroughly recommend not only the Kiehl's products, but also taking some time to experiment a little with a variety of products.

QE

For the last month or so I have started using a Merkur Futur, Truefitt and Hill shaving cream, a badger hair brush, and my shaves have never been more comfortable. Ever!! I can actually go a whole day without having to shave twice!! (previously I would have to shave before going out in the evening...now it lasts all day). I know the initial setup seems more expensive, but it is well worth it in the short and long run.

I agree.. Old fashioned still the best.. Clean shaved...
    Celebrity Fashion Trends and Style

New guy here. I actually found my way to Basenotes thorugh a traditional, wet shaving forum: Badger and Blade. Shaving is no longer a chore for me. In fact, it is one of my favorite hobbies. I look forward to whipping up some lather and having a quality shave. Shaving is no longer a chore, something I hate to do. It is amazing how a little change in your daily routine impacts your entire day. There is nothing like strolling into a meeting with a cleanly shaven face, without a hint of burn or irritation.

If you don't want to make the jump to a DE or a straight at the very least try a brush and some quality soap/cream. It will make a difference.

Regards,
    Daniel

I just need the Fusion razor and gel and get a nice comfy shave with no razor burn.

Anyone else here use "Shave Secret" brand shave oil? It's all natural oils, all essential oils in some oil base. Lots of clove to kill pain. Works great. I put on a few drops of this after the shower and nothing more, and get a nice clean shave every time with little to no irritation.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 7th March 2008 at 07:49 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Blog Entries

I find it so. In fact, my new enjoyment of double-edge shaving with a true razor is what brought me up to thinking about scents and finding this site. No shave oil for me, though. Just not my cuppa.

However, YMMV. If a Mach 3 or Fusion and a can of shaving gel/foam works for you, then that's great.

I like the pampered feeling of lathering up a quality soap or cream, with a nice brush, and taking my time. It turns what was a chore into a pleasurable way to start the day.

Alternatively, one might ask "Is a Penhaligon's really any better than splashing on some Aqua Velva?" Many here would answer yes, but there are still plenty of men and women who enjoy AV.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Hola, Hoos.

I switched to a DE about a month ago. I had some problems with ingrown hairs, and the quatro felt like it made my face a bit raw, plus I'd break out a bit because of shaving. The ingrown hairs aren't a problem, and my face is clearing up. A lot of it is from switching to a badger brush/ soap too. I am not getting as close of a shave as I did with the quatro, but part of it is technique I still need to work on, and the benefits of less irritation and a clearer face are worth it. It's also a bit more relaxing, the soap smells nice. Plus the DE and brush just look cool.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoovD View Post
    New guy here. I actually found my way to Basenotes thorugh a traditional, wet shaving forum: Badger and Blade. Shaving is no longer a chore for me. In fact, it is one of my favorite hobbies. I look forward to whipping up some lather and having a quality shave. Shaving is no longer a chore, something I hate to do. It is amazing how a little change in your daily routine impacts your entire day. There is nothing like strolling into a meeting with a cleanly shaven face, without a hint of burn or irritation.

If you don't want to make the jump to a DE or a straight at the very least try a brush and some quality soap/cream. It will make a difference.

Regards,
    Daniel
    One of your favorite hobbies? So you're saying you'd miss shaving if by some technological or biological breakthrough, it was no longer necessary?

Not mee. Not in the least. No matter how much I manage to reduce shaving discomfort through various techniques and products, scraping hair off my face with a sharp piece of metal will ALWAYS cause more discomfort than NOT scraping hair off my face with a sharp piece of metal.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Anyone else here use "Shave Secret" brand shave oil? It's all natural oils, all essential oils in some oil base. Lots of clove to kill pain. Works great. I put on a few drops of this after the shower and nothing more, and get a nice clean shave every time with little to no irritation.
    Yes. Tried this recently in a hot shower with my DE. Followed the instructions. It soaked right into my skin and provided no lubrication whatsoever. Tossed in the trash immediately. Another product down, not coming remotely close to my Tend Skin Air Shave Gel.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 7th March 2008 at 11:50 PM.

First I wash my face with Aloe Vera 80 brand clarifying facial scrub. Then I use Fruit of the Earth brand aloe vera gel as my shaving gel. I shave with any disposable 3-blade razor. I follow all of that with Twin Lab brand NaPCA spray on facial moisurizer with aloe. Great skin. No worries.

MS
    "Not mee. Not in the least. No matter how much I manage to reduce shaving discomfort through various techniques and products, scraping hair off my face with a sharp piece of metal will ALWAYS cause more discomfort than NOT scraping hair off my face with a sharp piece of metal."

If you shaved properly perhaps you would have a different opinion.

Blog Entries

Hiya SmoovD! Nice to see you here, too. Seems like the finer things in life are catching.

MadScientist - Shaving is an enjoyable routine for me, now. But it takes work. It took me six months to find the right blade for my skin, razors that I like, and honing my technique.

I used to shave with a Mach3 and Edge Gel. I was happy with it - it removed whiskers, which is the point of shaving.

But it doesn't compare to DE shaving with a nice brush, soap/cream, taking my time, and enjoying it. It would be similar to comparing a dinner at McDonald's to a dinner at a five-star restaurant - both get the job done, just that one way is a little nicer than another.

But not everyone enjoys DE shaving. A number of folks start out trying it but end up returning to a Mach 3, a Quattro, or whatever and using the soaps/creams for lathering. Some don't.

But learning how to shave correctly (if you didn't have someone to teach you, as in my case) is a long, slow process regardless of the tools you use.
    Brent

Not shaving is irritable. My face becomes a cactus in two days, all prickly.

I just discovered that there are different ways of shaving besides the way I showed myself: electric. My father wet-shaved but he never got a chance to teach me how.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoovD View Post
    If you shaved properly perhaps you would have a different opinion.
    Are you serious? You assume anyone who doesn't enjoy shaving isn't doing it properly? Please enlighten me on what technique would make scraping my face with a metal blade more pleasurable than not scraping my face with a metal blade.

Shaving is a necessary evil. Who the hell would want to shave if they didn't have to? Some people may enjoy the "alone time" or they may enjoy collecting and using a variety of products to get the job done; they may enjoy the ritual they've come up with, but no one is going to get me to believe that they truly enjoy the physical act of scraping the hair off their face with a sharp metal blade. Anyone deriving pleasure from the physical act of shaving is a masochist (although I have no problem with that). The best that can be hoped-for is to reduce the displeasure and inconvenience to a minimum. I assure you, I would not miss it if it were unnecessary.

I've been around a while and I've read about and seen plenty of different versions of what shaving "properly" is. I have sensitive skin and have dealt with acne problems throughout life, so believe me, I've done my research (and continue to) on shaving and shaving products. Everyone's skin, facial contours, and hair-growth is different; there's no one "proper" way to shave. I am quite confident that at this stage in life, I have settled on the best shaving technique that is right for me (i.e., least-irritating to closeness ratio). Besides, you can't possibly know whether I shave "properly" or not so what an ignorant, arrogant comment.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 9th April 2008 at 04:54 AM.

I really feel like I get a closer shave with less irritation using a brush, quality creams, and a DE blade. I used to try to do two or three passes with multiblade razors because of all the stubble they left, and all I got was razor burn. Now I get a better shave with less irritation than ever.

Blog Entries

This is the first I've read such emotional responses about DE shaving. And I am on several shaving fora.

Shaving (like scents, fountain pens, or the type of underwear you prefer) is a preference. People use what's best for them.

I have never tried to "convert" anyone (can't speak for others). And haven't really sensed it here. Do DE shavers enjoy the rediscovery of a forgotten tradition? Sure and we enjoy sharing the info on a ritual that many people, honestly, don't know about. Are there people who view shaving as a necessary evil? Sure. I actually fall somewhere in between: if I didn't have to shave, I wouldn't; but I enjoy DE shaving much more than I ever enjoyed shaving before.

But views on shaving (or scent or fountain pens or underwear) shouldn't be enough to get folks riled up. IMO.
    Brent

I've never tried to "convert" anyone, but I'm glad to offer advice to people who are dissatisfied with the way they shave now. Some people aren't into taking the time or whatever, and that's fine with me. I know guys who swear "real men" only shower and shampoo with bar soap, shave with canned foam, and wear deodorant. If you care about grooming more than that, then you're not a real man. Whatever. To each his own.
    Last edited by BBRex; 13th March 2008 at 08:00 PM.