Code of Conduct

Default Help w/ Etat Libre samples, please

I have a favor to ask-

I visited the E.L.d'O. boutique in Paris last June, and the SA was kind enough to make some samples for us. However, they were set aside in the bustle of life. I just found them the other day. I quit smoking in the time since I obtained the samples, so this might have something to do with it, but these frags don't smell like anything I remember or expected. The most I can remember is that I chose those samples because they were 'OK' but not bottle-worthy. I certainly don't remember these scents being such animalic beasts!

Vierges & Toreros: Starts out according to description, but rapidly turns into pure oily human skin musk. It smells like the inside of a well-used winter hat, or the business end of a man's electric razor. Is this what it smells like out of the bottle?

Putain des Palaces: Starts out according to description, but rapidly turns into pure sweaty woman musk. It is unwashed post-sex skin at its most (frighteningly) realistic. You know how Kingdom smells a little sweaty? Kingdom smells like lysol compared to my sample of Putain des Palaces. Is this how it's supposed to smell?

I have never opened these samples since the SA filled them for me. I've never had a sample go bad on me, either.

I'm amazed that either:
    -My sense of smell changed so drastically
    -These frags changed so drastically
    -If all is ok with my samples, that the company had the chutzpah to release such sweaty works of art

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else who has samples.
    I need to go cook falafels now.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Help w/ Etat Libre samples, please

I've only worn Vierges & Toreros, and yes, it's highly animalic. Think sweaty old boots stuffed with sprays of tuberose.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 29th October 2007 at 12:04 AM.

I don't smoke and never have. Your senses are working fine. I happen to like Rien but find it just short of wearable for me. I appreciate Etat trying to be unique, but they haven't quite hit the right recipe for my taste. What I do like about Etat is they have strength, longevity, and sillage. I'm still willing to try anything new from them because of those 3 great facets of their frags. I'm also an anamalic scent lover. My two favorites are Muscs Koublai Khan and Yatagan which are both wonderful on me, so I thought for sure Etat would work for me.

I really like Jasmin & Cigarettes...but the rest of the line didn't do it for me. I bought Vierge blind (dumb) and gave it away...rank. I've only been able to smell the selection my local retailer has...so I would give them a conclusive thumbs down...but its not looking good for them so far.

Would love to try Secretions...sounds interesting.

I find these scents to be very difficult to warm up to. Secretions Magnifique is totally repulsive, I like the Idea of what sex should smell like (vetiver46, Straight to Heaven, Musc Ravageur) but I don't want to walk around smelling like pussy, and cum.....I'm however anticipating Tom Of Finland in February.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by musclegod007 View Post
    I find these scents to be very difficult to warm up to. Secretions Magnifique is totally repulsive, I like the Idea of what sex should smell like (vetiver46, Straight to Heaven, Musc Ravageur) but I don't want to walk around smelling like pussy, and cum.....I'm however anticipating Tom Of Finland in February.
    If Secretions Magnifiques actually smelled like "pussy and cum" it would be a far more attractive scent. As it is, it just smells like fake maple syrup in stagnant water.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    If Secretions Magnifiques actually smelled like "pussy and cum" it would be a far more attractive scent. As it is, it just smells like fake maple syrup in stagnant water.
    Wow...its so controversial, its hard NOT to want to smell it! I've never heard the maple comparison. Does anyone actually wear this one...or is it like MKK...only to be enjoyed at home?

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Wow...its so controversial, its hard NOT to want to smell it! I've never heard the maple comparison. Does anyone actually wear this one...or is it like MKK...only to be enjoyed at home?
    No comparison! I wear MKK in public very comfortably. Secretions Magnifiques is too vile to wear anywhere. It just plain smells bad.

PS: It's not "maple" as in imortelle. It's just that I can't find words to describe the vomitatiously synthetic, sweet miasma that wells up froim this scent. It smells like certain garden chemicals I've used, or maybe Pepto-Bismol, but without the minty part. I don't even want to think about it anymore.