Code of Conduct
    Thrax

Default Santa Maria Novella?

Wow guys, I cant believe that no one told me about this line before. Damn everyone of you for keeping this secret. I just got my first SMN (musk) and I am absolutley in love with it. What other Santa Maria Novella ones out there are interesting? BESIDES NOSTALGIA.

Default Re: Santa Maria Novella?

I really like Colonia Russa. I have not tried many (Melograno and Potpourri), but CR was the one that really caught my attention. Perhaps more of a summer/hot weather scent, but worth a gander.

Hey Thrax,
    it used to have a lot of buzz SMN in the past here... where have you been meanwhile man?
    I'm sure you will luv Nostalgia, so try it together with some of these others:

Kyoto (blend of florentine iris, lotus flower and incense)
    Marescialla
    Melograno
    Opoponax
    Colonia Russa
    Muschio oro (golden musk)
    Narcissus
    Iris

Some of them are almost soliflores but the quality is high and all of them are amazing and worth a try at least

And what' s so great about Musk, Thrax ??
    Nobody has ever talked to me about that either!
    It sounds as otherworldly as Peau d'Espagne, for whichI would give 90% of my collection, if had to be !

Magnifiscent: I know we are not into the same bottles always, but I admire your preferences anyway! What is Acqua di Sicilia like?
    Last edited by narcus; 29th October 2007 at 10:52 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    And what' s so great about Musk, Thrax ??
    Nobody has ever talked to me about that either! I'd give 90% of my collection for Peau d'Espagne if had to be !

Magnifiscent: I know we are not into the same bottles always, but I admire your preferences anyway! What is Acqua di Sicilia like?
    I admire your taste as well Narcus and I see we have a common ground for certain notes and juices. And for others, well, maybe they just work in a different way, but that's all fun!
    About Acqua di Sicilia, sorry but I've never smelled it. From the name I bet it's a citrus one (must be the reason it never got my attention before). Maybe some neroli? Just guesses... I will look to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    About Acqua di Sicilia, sorry but I've never smelled it. From the name I bet it's a citrus one (must be the reason it never got my attention before). Maybe some neroli? Just guesses... I will look to try it.
    Very kind offer! But please don't bother. I just thought it might be classic, the way good_life described Villoresis Acqua di Colonia in the Classical cologne thread. That one is discontinued.
    But perhaps I may ask a huge favor instead: Next time you are in Rinascente, could you check which Loewe tester exactly they have on that main counter (near the entrance) ? They keep assorted brands for demonstration there. A nice assistant let me sample one Loewe XXX?, and I got distracted. Only hours later did I notice how nice the cologne really was. (Sorry, that was off-topic!)
    Last edited by narcus; 29th October 2007 at 11:31 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

hehe... ok, I'll look for it even if they change frequently the samplers there So I might not be able to find that loewe there
    Last edited by Magnifiscent; 29th October 2007 at 11:23 AM.

Y'all gonna laugh at me, but I LOVE Pot Pourri by SMN. It's spicy and herbal and weird and wonderful. Imagine a mentholated bay rum with lots of rosemary -- YUM! Sounds vile, yes, but a definite must for spice lovers. Longevity's not out of this world, but I can (and do) just re-apply.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Y'all gonna laugh at me, but I LOVE Pot Pourri by SMN. It's spicy and herbal and weird and wonderful. Imagine a mentholated bay rum with lots of rosemary -- YUM! Sounds vile, yes, but a definite must for spice lovers. Longevity's not out of this world, but I can (and do) just re-apply.
    I had been given their actually potpourri in the little terracota jar as a gift...I love it, so I thought I would get a bottle of the cologne...oy...not something I want to smell like. I still have a virtually full bottle and have tried repeatedly to give it away with no takers.

Really? Pity you're in Canada and I'm in the U.S.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Muschio,Opoponax,Vetiver and Melograno are must to try.

Thumbs up Re: Santa Maria Novella?

If you,like tobacco, and a hint of leather, give Aqua di Cuba a try. Dosen't have the depth of lets say a Czech & Speake's Cuba,but non the less a very good fragrance.

For me the one to try is Melograno.

Basenotes Institution

I have a sample of Nostalgia that I think I'm going to wear tomorrow.

I've also heard that their Musk is amazing on the womens boards - I'm actually not that much of a musk fan, but it sounds really good. I'll try it next time that I'm at the local boutique here in Miami that has about twelve of them.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Citta di Kyoto (and Nostalgia of course)

Dependent

I just happen to have Melange all over my right hand from an old sample. perfumebay has samples. Aedes has them also but you need to jump through hoops it seems. luckyscent is easy to get samples from. none of this is cheap though. As you well know

Gary

Off-Scenter

Nostalgia is a lot of fun, in a growly, "Back off, bud!" kind of way. Melograno is one of the weirdest scents out there, IMO, with bucketloads of aldehydes and supersweet floral notes. You'll probably either love it or hate it. Their Opopanax is lovely, but unfortunately far too short-lived on me. Citta di Kyoto is very beautiful, but subtle, and should appeal if you like your scents civilazed and understated. The Iris is lovely, too.

Dependent

a while back in another post, I compared the smell of Nostalgia to an old truck load of smudge pots, the sort that was used along roads where cones are now used, crashing into the wall of SMN and afire.

A few days ago I ordered samples of Nostalgia and Peau d'Espagne; any thoughts on the latter?

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    A few days ago I ordered samples of Nostalgia and Peau d'Espagne; any thoughts on the latter?
    It's a leather and of the bolder type. Some find it stinky. I think it's fantastic, as I said earlier. If you know what Cuir Mauresque is like, or Cuir d'Arabie, you know the direction.

SMN Muschio (Musk) is one of my "holy grail" fragrances. Their Vetiver is really nice, too.

I haven't tried the whole line, but I'm not a big fan of many of the soliflores. They smell great, but not really something I'd wear.

Do we have any updated thoughts on this line?

For those that are living with full bottles, what have you experienced? Do you wear them often? Are they fragrances you appreciate more and more or are they easy to get bored with/sick of?

From the my reading I've narrowed my possible (blind) purchases down to:

Aqua di Cuba
    Musc
    Muschio d'Oro
    Nostalgia
    Opoponax
    Patchouli
    Peau D'Espagne
    Pot Pourri