Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default >>>>Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Nov. 3>>>Spicy

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or otherwise, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment. It's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within the themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    January ~ Oriental
    February ~ Animalic

(civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

March ~ Chypre
    April ~ Floral
    May ~ Fruity
    June ~ Citrus
    July ~ Green
    August ~ Fresh or aquatic
    September ~ Fougere

("fern like;" lavender + woods + coumarin + geranium + oakmoss)

October ~ Ambery
    November ~ Spicy
    December ~ Gourmand
    See previous SnS discussions:
    January 6, 2007 ~ Orientals February 3, 2007 ~ Animalics March 2, 2007 ~ Chypres April 14, 2007 ~ Florals May 4, 2007 ~ Fruity June 2, 2007 ~ Citrus September 1, 2007 ~ Fougere October 6, 2007 ~ Amber
    [For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.]

Note from Quarry: I don't mind missing out on the spicy scents (my least favorite group), but you all better behave yourselves while I'm gone. Taolady is going to be taking names of those of you caught chewing gum in class!
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: >>>>Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Nov. 3>>>Spicy

Oooh goody. I like my spices.

Post Thanks / Like

I love spicy scents,so will defenitely join in Will have a hard time decide which one to wear,though...

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man!!!

Will it be Kingdom? Cristobal? Initial? Ambre Russe? Parfum Sacre? Coco? YOUTH DEW?? Tea for Two?

Decisions decisions. :bounce:
    Last edited by TaoLady; 1st November 2007 at 12:36 PM. Reason: spelling. spelling.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Post Thanks / Like

Always loved my husband in Old Spice - still we are old fogeys now!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Has it been a month already...jeez, how time flies, huh?

Spicy fragrances are easy for me - think it's going to be my sample of L'Homme Sage by Divine that I've been saving for a special occasion. This gets lots of love on the mens board and I'm curious to see what all the buzz is about.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by annem View Post
    Always loved my husband in Old Spice - still we are old fogeys now!
    Me too, Annem (well, MY husband, of course...and the Old Spice, not the fogeydom!!) and welcomewelcome!!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 1st November 2007 at 06:17 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Post Thanks / Like

Morning everyone!
    Found an old Miss Worth parfum of mums today and it smelled pretty spicy from the bottle so I thought I'd wear it and chime in for the sniff and speak
    What is everyone else wearing today?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No surprises here: Comme des Garçons EdP for me!

Forgot to add the notes: Cardamom Oil, Coriander Oil, Geranium Oil, Nutmeg Oil, Cinnamon Bark Oil, Clovebud, Labdanum essence, Styrax, Cedarwood, Cut Hay, Olibanum essence, Black Pepper, Sandalwood, Rose, Honey
    Last edited by tigrushka; 3rd November 2007 at 10:24 AM.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Fendi - Theorema

Much loved and sadly discontinued scent. Warm and almost voluptuous
    Perfect for autumn, perfect for this day and my mood.

Notes from Fendi itself:

Top: Thai Shamouti, Eglantine, California Tangelos
    Heart: Jasmine petals, Afghan spices, Cinnamon, Pink peppers, Osmanthus
    Base: Spicy dust, Musk, Heart of Macassar, Sweet cream, Amber, Gaiac wood, Mysore sandalwood
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Post Thanks / Like

Estée Lauder's Cinnabar.

Notes according to osMoz:

Top note : Orange, Mandarin, Clove

Middle note : Rose, Cinnamom, Carnation, Jasmine

Base note : Patchouli, Incense, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Heavy stuff!
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

Post Thanks / Like

YD was up there in the competition but the gorgeous Ambre Russe from Parfum d'Empire has won the day.

"...the lavish notes are blended masterfully, smoothly, in a composition that is warm, sensual and comforting. After the initial hot blast of amber and incense, a velvety, honey-like accord becomes apparent, along with the feisty and exhilarating 'boozyness', which lightens the mood of this dark brew. The tea note, combined with spices and leather, adds very enjoyable smokiness and emphasizes the full-bodied, darkly-ornate character of Ambre Russe...." (from LuckyScent...)

I couldn't have said it better!!

It's Ambre Russe for me today! I've enjoyed this sample since I got it about a year ago. Definitely plenty of spices here, but also that boozy note that works so well with the amber. For some reason I also get a little bit of raisins from the entire mix. Really a special scent!
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Post Thanks / Like

I've got two fun ones for today's spicy Sniff n' Speak!

Lorenzo Villoresi's Spezie, with many thanks to my dear brother MikePerez for enabling me to discover this gorgeous one (though my credit cards aren't speaking to Mike at the moment )

Top Notes
    Coriander, Cardamom, Laurel
    Middle Notes
    Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cumin
    Base Notes
    Tomato Leaves, Rosemary, Sage

Spezie is deep, intense and very, very warm. I feel like I radiate heat when I wear this.

Then, despite the name, my other great spicy scent for today is Fresh Index Patchouli Pure.

Top Notes
    Ginger, Bergamot, Orange
    Middle Notes
    Patchouli, Cinnamon, Pimento Berry
    Base Notes
    Vanilla, Amber, Tonka, Musk

Patchouli Pure is delightful, quite spicy, sweet without being cloying and is actually light enough to wear in much warmer weather too, which surprised me. Two winners!!!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Post Thanks / Like

The weirdly wonderful Madini Ambargris.
    Supposed to contain beach-harvested ambergris, but I don't know what that smells like.
    At any rate, it is completely lost in the spices here, of which there are many, a veritable masala of sweetness, plus dried figs and dates, and incense.
    This juice is dark brown, almost tarry in consistency. One drop is enough to project and last for hours.
    The memory lingers in my subconscious, I am readily able to recall this scent months later. One night, I awoke, dreaming of Ambargris, only to sniff my wrists, and there was nothing there.
    This is a renegade version of Serge Luten Ambre Sultan or Arabie, Dona Karan Black Cashmere, or Divine L'Homme Sage. She is not authorized to claim her relation to these scents, because she is the black sheep of the family. She stands in a cobblestone alley, among the baskets of spice and the crowded vendor stalls, beckoning to you from underneath her black burkha. What will you find there? Great beauty, or a hag? Only you will be able to judge. Come hither.

Post Thanks / Like

The Different Company Rose Poivree

Damascus Rose, rose bay, pepper, coriander and vetiver.

Ambre Russe for me also.

thought I might just as well post in the ladies room, since so many Bners are wearing it today.(,wink to Taolady)

I have to be in the mood to wear this one,but it's so blended well. Boozy, sweet and warm.

Brotha G, rum 'n raisins!, exactely what I thought too!
    Last edited by eric; 3rd November 2007 at 02:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Being the Queen is not always fun: making sure the laws are being executed, the craftsmen are happy, there is enough water in this arid country and the people are not forgetful about their history. The sun has not been merciful this year, will the harvests last? Appointments, travels, mockery... And him, the King from the faraway land, whose ring reads "This will pass too", what a joke! Loads of precious jewels with their facets sparkling in the light were supposed to dim his vision, and what did I get? Entrapment, that's it! Now the whole world knows that my legs are far from His standards of perfect, being not much different from my mom's and many other women's?! Damn water! And our last feast so masterfully prepared by his best chefs --- what was it? cardamom, pepper, cloves, fennel, saffron, nutmeg? That heartburn I got was the worst ever known, let me tell you, no wonder it woke me up in the middle of the night and just a drop of water would put it out, seems like.... Water again, damn it! And my heart is still burning, burning....

Wearing Patrick Mauboussin Histoire d'Eau (2002 version Topaze, as opposed to 2003 Amethyste that I have never tried), with the notes of
    Top: green mandarin;
    Heart: cardamom, pepper, nutmeg;
    Base: leather, musk, amber.
    and feeling like the Queen of Sheba. It is enveloping, it is wonderfully bitter without a single drop of vanilla, it is mesmerizing. It is my best discovery of the year 2007, and (who doubted!) I am too late to the party -- discontinued because of the flaws in the bottle design -- the sphere shaped vessel with the fragrance just would not stay attached to the plastic column case, Mr. Baschmakoff! It is simple in the beginning -- bitter citrus with the hint of prunes and spices, a boatload of them where the pepper lasts until the very end -- animalic, raw, sensual with insense (jatamanasi too! ), old woods, "right" musk. No flowers. Out of more known fragrances it reminds me of Arabie, Opium and Black Cashmere. I wish it were known better, as there are no reviews of it in the Directory. Still available at many online e-tailers in 40 and 75 ml bottles, but is becoming increasingly hard to find. Need a sample? You know what to do!
    Last edited by Twolf; 3rd November 2007 at 03:59 PM.

Ah, I should have known in advance! ..scent twin with my Dragon sister Riannon in Fendi's Theorema today.

It was a beautiful, warm fall day, so DH and I decided to make a day trip to near Switzerland. The glory of fall, all gold, red, yellow, rust, sung in unison with the creamy spiciness of Theorema. It's simply perfect for cooler weather. Initially, what I get most ist nutmeg, then it's so seamlessly blended that all notes come together in a feast for the nose. Released in 1998 (if I remember well), but IMO it could easily be part of the newest niche scent lines.
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 3rd November 2007 at 04:05 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Post Thanks / Like

Alexander McQueen Kingdom.
    For some reason the citrus opening of this scent escapes me entirely, but I get the ginger and cumin, rose and jasmin, and precious woods. So often described as dirty, I find that little bit of sex elevates what may have been prim to elegant.
    Last edited by pellen; 3rd November 2007 at 04:05 PM.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Post Thanks / Like

Funny, Pellen, because every time I've tried Kingdom, I've got little other than musty lemons. Skin chemistry's a funny thing, eh?

I'm trying Poivre, having spent a while mooching around Harrod's Haute Parfumerie. This is unmistakeably Caron - a rich, spicy scent, all carnation, leather and clove. It's as though En Avion grew up and got an attitude. I like it a lot, though the spicy notes faded faster than I'd hoped, leaving a smoother and rather well-behaved vanillic base. I think the fact I found myself sweating in a nylon jacket on a crowded tube train didn't help the longevity much. Applied to the torso, this would doubtless last a fair few hours longer.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see you're enjoying Spezie and Patchouli Pure Comdiva - your credit cards and I have been speaking while you're asleep...

Me I'm absolutely delighted to participate in anything spicy - this is perhaps my FAVORITE category of fragrances.

Calvin by Calvin Klein
    A discontinued gem - this fougere is just the perfect moss scent, with a spicy undercurrent. I wore this when I was in my late teens and a new sample (thanks bbobkc) has me swimming in olfactory memories. The great thing about Calvin is that it has that smooth, classy & tenacious drydown that (like Heritage EdP, or other mens classics) you keep smelling almost 10-12 hours after you've applied it. This is my favorite Calvin Klein mens scent.

L' Homme Sage by Divine
    Wonderful. Not much more more say...it's amazing. Try this.

Poivre Piquant by L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Noone really talks a lot about the spicy L'Artisan scents - especially PP. The top notes are reminiscent of LouLou by Cacherel. Maybe it's the anise (which I normally do not like, but in LL its wonderful) or maybe it's the pepper in PP reminds me of the tiare flower notes in LL. What follows afterward is honey, milk and then light smoke. Both soft and burning - simultaneously. Yeah, I know...strange, huh? Love this stuff.

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Poivre Piquant by L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Noone really talks a lot about the spicy L'Artisan scents - especially PP. The top notes are reminiscent of LouLou by Cacherel. Maybe it's the anise (which I normally do not like, but in LL its wonderful) or maybe it's the pepper in PP reminds me of the tiare flower notes in LL. What follows afterward is honey, milk and then light smoke. Both soft and burning - simultaneously. Yeah, I know...strange, huh? Love this stuff.
    That one is my favourite of the Les Epices de la Passion trio! I love scents in which qualities contradict each other and PP does perfectly the cool, soothing milk vs. hot, burning pepper thing.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    The weirdly wonderful Madini Ambargris...... she is the black sheep of the family. She stands in a cobblestone alley, among the baskets of spice and the crowded vendor stalls, beckoning to you from underneath her black burkha. What will you find there? Great beauty, or a hag? Only you will be able to judge. Come hither.
    GREAT writing/review Chris....if I hadn't already tried it I would want to!

Twolf....Being the Queen is not always fun... Water again, damn it! And my heart is still burning, burning....Wearing Patrick Mauboussin Histoire d'Eau (2002 version Topaze.......Need a sample? You know what to do!
    Is it too late? Is it too late?? ANOTHER great piece of evocative writing.

I tell you - BaseNotes is THE place.
    Last edited by TaoLady; 4th November 2007 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Cleanup

Post Thanks / Like

The Different Company, Rose Poivree

Ferocious. Rose Poivree bears a striking resemblance to my natural scent following an extended sweat session between the sheets with a few rose petals scattered about. I am a big fan of well done civet notes and my favorite nose, Jean Claude Ellena, delivers civet in spades creating a full-on carnal piece in Rose Poivree. The scent comes roaring out of the bottle in a haze pepper and spices eventually settling into a steady erotic hum of rose,civet, and vetiver. Arousal in a bottle. Taps into my primal beast. I like that.

Sprays:5
    Longevity:8-10 hours
    Sillage: Low to moderate, yet driven by body temperature in a direct realationship
    RIYL:Kingdom, Opone, Rose 31, spicy rose scents, civet.

Speaking of L'AP Les Epices de la Passion, I ended up wearing Safran Troublant as my SotE.
    Masterfully blended in pure Giacobetti style, ST is a rather linear scent with three dominating notes: saffron, roses and sandalwood. The spicy food nature of saffron is beautifully balanced by the red roses, none of the two overpowering the other.
    Anybody tried layering all three, Poivre Piquant, Safran Troublant and Piment Brulant? The result is amazing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Speaking of L'AP Les Epices de la Passion, I ended up wearing Safran Troublant as my SotE.
    Masterfully blended in pure Giacobetti style, ST is a rather linear scent with three dominating notes: saffron, roses and sandalwood. The spicy food nature of saffron is beautifully balanced by the red roses, none of the two overpowering the other.
    Anybody tried layering all three, Poivre Piquant, Safran Troublant and Piment Brulant? The result is amazing
    Layering all three, huh? I might try this soon...

I think Safran Troublant reminds me mostly of the smell of paella (a Cuban dish that features lots of shellfish, bell peppers and well...saffron). For a few minutes its almost a little too foody on me, but then it does that Giacobetti signature minimalist thing and transforms into something much more substantial.

-- Jack Kerouac

I know - I am waaaaay late to the party.

Right before I left for vacation I wore Parfumerie Generale's Un Crime Exotique.

Notes (Luckyscent): Chinese Osmanthus, Gingerbread, Tea, Star Anise, Mate Absolute, Vanilla Sugar, South Sea Island Sandalwood.

I wore this the first time in the summer. Sadly, in the heat it developed what I could only describe as a vomit note that refused to go away.

When I wore it recently, the chill in the air improved this fragrance greatly.

It smells like Russian Tea (tea with orange, cinnamon, cloves). Or potpourri.

And if you layer this with Moea oil, you can smell like a Yankee Candle shop
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.