Code of Conduct

Default Noses behind d'Orsay

d'Orsay is one of the best perfume houses around, despite a certain lack of BN hype .
    To my knowledge all of the classic d'Orsays have been reformulated at some point, many in the 1990s, yet they exude an "old world" quality and balance of composition rarely found these days. Which leads me to the question of who the noses are behind the reformulated d'Orsays. They are evidently masters of the craft and they managed to keep intact a very discernible house style, which I find great. Can anybody fill the gaps?

Arome 3 Tradition -
    Chevalier d'Orsay -
    Etiquette Bleue -
    Le Dandy - Dominique Preysass (Basala, Nicole Farhi for men, Jaguar for Men)
    Tilleul - Olivia Giacobetti
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Thumbs up Re: Noses behind d'Orsay

I share your love for D'Orsay. I can't help you though. Now that wasn't the most useful or important post. Just wanted to be in a good company .

Seriously, all of the mentioned fragrances are very well done, with quality and class being the keywords. There is nothing that unique or spectacular here, atleast on surface, but subtle and distinctive beauty. This fact obviously makes them less hypeable (that can't be a real word).

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Noses behind d'Orsay

Sorry t_g_l I have no nose info.

I only posted to say that jock_with_scents and scentemental have sufficiently hyped d'Orsay quite a lot - I wouldn't have heard about these amazing scents otherwise. I'm really looking forward to sampling these one of these days.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Well, I guess it is no surprise that I am chiming in here. Timeless quality...Chevalier d'Orsay and Arome 3 Tradition are in my Top 10 and not going anywhere for a LONG time.

Hopefully scentemental will see this and provide some nose info.
    I think you can get these frags on perfumebay.com, beautycafe.com, and Bergdorf Goodman in NYC and that is it in the US. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 29th October 2007 at 09:22 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Great stuff! I have Le Dandy, Le Nomade, and Arôme 3. I wish I had picked up Chevalier d'Orsay while my local Nordstom still had it... Alas! it is long gone now. I might check our Bergdorf's online and see what can be done.

I did a little checking online, thinking that perhaps parfyym.pri.ee might have some leads on the ones asked about, but turned up nothing new... so sorry!

Thanks to all of you d'Orsay fans for your faith in a great line!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I have been trying to quietly promote this line for some three years now. Unfortunately, none of the fragrances have made to flavor of the month status. Most peoples' loss.

Don't have anything to add re: noses except what's already been mentioned. This kind of information is not easy to come by.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 30th October 2007 at 03:57 AM.

I wish I could provide information as well, but haven't come up with anything. In my experience, only the Crown Perfumery reformulations, when that company was revived in the 1990s and before its unfortunate demise at the hands of Clive Christian, matched the old world standards evidenced in the reformulations of D'Orsay's current line.

Please don't ask me where, because I wrecked my brain for it already: Some expert wrote not too long ago that also the D'Orsays have suffered from modifications. I only have Chevalier (vintage, slightly gone), and Tilleul which is a few years old, but smells just like I remember it always did. I was very surprised by this recent information.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I tried Nomade today at Takashimaya, I'm not impressed. Lots of bright cedar, nice bottle, nothing much else to report.

Nomade is not the one to try. Move on to the others.

Chevalier d'Orsay
    Arome 3 Tradition

Both can be sniffed at Bergdorf Goodman
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 30th October 2007 at 07:02 PM.

Since we have essentially moved on from the original question, which was a very intersting one, but with no known answer, I guess I will just throw my 2cents in to say Chevalier d'Orsay is one of my all time top fragrances. If I were in love with a beautiful blonde (much younger than my grizzled old self) I would give the gift of Tilleul, one of the absolute greats. Arome 3 is out of this world, but Le Dandy has been reformulated into a wimp of its former self. Like Nomade, it is pretty weak and indifferent. Nomade is the fragrance for those who don't particularly like to smell fragrances. I also like Arome Trois Tradition, but not as much as it's shorter-named brother.

I just wish they didn't evicerate Le Dandy. What a boozy fin de siecle gaudy dandy it once was. Whoever was the nose for that one should have his nose examined.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 1st November 2007 at 01:26 AM.