Code of Conduct

Default Recommendations for modern basil

I think what I love in Bond Central Park and Nouveau Bowery is the basil note (they only share that and patchouli and I don't think it's the patchouli). I find the NB like a CP Light with a bunch of lime zest and a few other notes.

What great (modern) basil fragrances do you love? ... or more importantly, if you know of other scents similar to Central Park and Nouveau Bowery (especially CP), puhlease let me know. I know Habit Rouge has basil in it, but it's not for me.. looking for something where it's a little more prominent and contemporary.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Recommendations for modern basil

Baime

Jo Malone's Lime, Basil, Mandarin. You can't miss the basil there.
    I also swear there is something basil-like in Montale's Soliel di Capri.
    Then of course the hefty basil vibe of Dior's Eau Sauvage.....

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Dior Dune has a definite basil note among the figs and wood.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I'd second the recommendation of MPG Baime (but not as a blind buy), and I'd add Diptyque Virgilio.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Bob Mackie for Men -- discontinued but widely available. Nice and crisp, with a very prominent basil note.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 29th October 2007 at 10:12 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I second Jo Malone's Lime Basil and Mandarin, especially if you appreciate the lime zest quality you were speaking about.

Ooh hot damn thanks. I'm gonna try the Jo Malone tomorrow at Saks. Any thoughts on its longevity? The only JMs I've tried are a bit fleeting.

In the same day I tried a few, and though it wasn't my favorite there, it was the longest lasting as well as strongest straight out of the bottle. Have fun sniffing!
    Last edited by nthny; 30th October 2007 at 12:51 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I must agree with Vibert's recommendation: Baime by MPG. Straight up, the most basil prominent fragrance I have ever smelled. I love it, own it and I wear it only when I want to be swept up in its vegetal, herbal, aromatic goodness. But, mind you, this is SO basil prominent some people won't like it. Try it before you buy.

I have worn Jo Malone's Lime and Basil and I think it's a great scent - but I feel like it is much more of a lime scent than a basil scent.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Baime by MPG . . . Try it before you buy.

I'll agree with that much (i.e., "try it before you buy").

If you fancy smelling like basil-infused salad oil, then Baime's a superb choice.
    (Sorry, Mike -- each to his/her own.)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 30th October 2007 at 09:58 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Bob Mackie for Men -- discontinued but widely available. Nice and crisp, with a very prominent basil note.
    An old favorite. It's good as long as you can find some that is not on the verge of turning.

If testing Jo Malone, give 154 a try. It has some basil in it as well.

Virgilio (Diptyque)
    Baïme (Maître Parfumeur et Gantier)

not sure if it has *exactly* basil - but try Eau d'Italie if you can find it. It has some herbal qualities reminiscent of basil and is definitely modern

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Ooh hot damn thanks. I'm gonna try the Jo Malone tomorrow at Saks. Any thoughts on its longevity? The only JMs I've tried are a bit fleeting.

I love and own Basil, Lime, and Mandarine. Stopped wearing it about a year ago. All JM's are short on longevity on me.

Side note: My wife wears JM - Nectarine Blossom & Honey and it lasts all day . Love it on her.

I liked the AA Mandarine Basilic, when I smelled it in May, but it was in the middle of a marathon perfume day, so impressions are most muddled.

Blu Mediterraneo Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma

Notes: Grapefruit, Petitgrain, Basil, Clary Sage, Rosemary, Jasmine, Muguet Lily of the Valley, Cardamom, Fern, Pine Needles, Coriander, Cypress, Oakmoss.

Royal Water Millesime by Creed

Notes: Fresh Citrus, Peppermint, Juniper Berry, Basil, Musk.

Doesn't Le Base for him have basil (luckyscent)?

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
    I liked the AA Mandarine Basilic, when I smelled it in May, but it was in the middle of a marathon perfume day, so impressions are most muddled.
    Ooh - I forgot about this one. Wonderful stuff, but the basil is only around for a very short time, not too prominent. Still, its a wonderful blending with the mandarin orange.

-- Jack Kerouac

Comme des Garcons 3 for a highly transparent/fresh/sharp basil note

Just found some great looking basil & mint bath and body products by Pangea Organics at beautyhabit. Check out the ingredients in the lotion. Reasonably priced and additional 25% off, look for code in discount section of basenotes. The other scents look good, too.

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    Just found some great looking basil & mint bath and body products by Pangea Organics at beautyhabit. Check out the ingredients in the lotion. Reasonably priced and additional 25% off, look for code in discount section of basenotes. The other scents look good, too.
    These are carried locally in my town, I'll try to sample and report back!
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

I was reading the ingredients lists for all their products and can't believe how they can charge those prices! Really nice. Let us know how they smell.

L'artisan mure et musc cologne is a basil based version of mure et musc. It is light, beautiful and the basil shines through in drydown.

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    Let us know how [Pangea Organics products] smell.
    Well, not only did my local shop have these in stock, it had them on sale. So I checked out all the body lotions. Without exception, the scents are subtle, with little projection or longevity. If you're looking for fragrances to wear, you might be disappointed. But I don't want lotions, washes, and so on to interfere with my SOTD; I look for something unscented, or something light that's pleasurable to apply but won't stick around.

Basil and mint gives you both of these notes clearly before it fades. I ended up liking Indian Lemongrass with Rosemary better, and it sounded like a good choice for my oily skin, so that's the one I bought.

(UPDATE: See here for more on Pangea Organics.)
    Last edited by PaulSC; 6th November 2007 at 04:32 PM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Not the most up to date fragrance, but it works so well ! ..... is Claiborne for Men, (Liz Claiborne) In fact it has been discontinued, but worth tracking down. The basil note is very dominant !

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Well, not only did my local shop have these in stock, it had them on sale. So I checked out all the body lotions. Without exception, the scents are subtle, with little projection or longevity. If you're looking for fragrances to wear, you might be disappointed. But I don't want lotions, washes, and so on to interfere with my SOTD; I look for something unscented, or something light that's pleasurable to apply but won't stick around.

Basil and mint gives you both of these notes clearly before it fades. I ended up liking Indian Lemongrass with Rosemary better, and it sounded like a good choice for my oily skin, so that's the one I bought.
    The hunt continues!!

L'Eau de L'Artisan has a prominent but non-overpowering basil note. Crisp and green (and no caffeine).

Basenotes Institution

Got the chance to try DK Men Unleaded tonight - the discontinued one. Underneath the suede was something that smelled very familiar and then it hit me: basil.

-- Jack Kerouac

Wore my generous sample of Baimé by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier today (thanks Mike!!). I thought I was going to really enjoy it from first impressions but it kinda left me wanting more. It started as a rich and effervescent herbal burst but stayed somewhat linear and left me about halfway through the day. The basil is very present and has what strikes me as an almost anise like bite. It leaves me as a light, earthy, leafy scent that is almost too fleeting for my taste.
    I found it pleasant and extremely unique, but I don't think it's something that I'll be adding to my wardrobe as I kinda doubt that I'd wear it that much.