Code of Conduct

Default Help a noob (mid 20s) buy something top notch

Hi all. I should really start by saying that I know little or nothing about fragrance which is why I find myself here.

I'm going to be in central London this Saturday and it seems as good a chance as any to buy myself a nice fragrance as an early Christmas pressie. I have spent many an hour looking at the Creed website and I think it's time to splash out, no pun intended, on a bottle of their Eaux de Toilette, but which one?

Going off at a slight tangent, I drink a lot of coffee and have spent a small fortune on equipment and beans, but once upon a time I was happy enough drinking instant. At the moment I wear CK Crave. I had some gift vouchers to spend a couple of years ago and Crave was one of the only fragrances I liked in the store. To continue the coffee analogy Crave would probably be instant coffee to espresso of Creed, on the face of it quite similar but in reality completely different animals.

I'm after something reasonably long-lasting, perhaps with the freshness (I told you I knew nothing about fragrance) of Crave but a more mature scent.

Any recommendations?

I'm aware of the rule of thumb about needing to enquire about prices, but how far will £100 get me at one of the department stores listed on their site? I don't want to take the risk of ordering online or face the barrage of questions I get whenever I get a package delivered and I could do with whatever I buy being in my grubby little mitts by Saturday evening, so buying in person is the order of the day. It would also make sense to see what they smell like before parting with my cash.

Or should I get something a little cheaper? Is there anything around the £50 mark that I should try before going for some Creed? I stand out from the crowd enough as it is and whatever I buy will ideally reflect that. It has to be distinctive rather than run of the mill.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Help a noob (mid 20s) buy something top notch

I would highly recommend testing Creed's Original Vetiver and Green Irish Tweed.

I would recommend Green Irish Tweed. Its certainly not stand out from the crowd material but the de facto scent for fresh and sophisticated in my opinion, and the most famous Creed for good reason; its just so damn good!

seems you can be a guy digging into some of these
    Silver mountain water
    Green irish tweed
    Erolfa
    Millesime Imperiale

Going to London? You may want to visit Geo F. Trumper.
    http://www.trumpers.com/

Their sandalwood is similar to Chanel Egoiste! I like it a lot.

Well, I'm a coffee drinker too. I have an espresso machine (Nuova Oscar) and the grinder (Rancilio MD40).
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I have to agree with the previous posts Green Irish Tweed is a great fragrance.As you are going to London head for Selfridges or Fortnum & Mason & try out all the different scents.
    Fortnums probably better because you will not be bombarded by sales people & you can try out the scents to your hearts content.

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    Going to London? You may want to visit Geo F. Trumper.
    http://www.trumpers.com/

Their sandalwood is similar to Chanel Egoiste! I like it a lot.

Well, I'm a coffee drinker too. I have an espresso machine (Nuova Oscar) and the grinder (Rancilio MD40).
    I found a Gaggia Classic in the summer sales and paired it with an Iberital MC2. I'll upgrade them eventually, but only when I can afford to spend £1000+ on a machine

Until then, I'm happy with my little setup.

I might have to give trumpers a visit and see what's what, cheers for the recommendation.

I agree witht the Green Irish Tweed--it would be like going from the ridiculous to the sublime.... You might also try their Tabarome Millesime.

Should I be alarmed that none of you have mentioned the price?

Quote Originally Posted by Bren_D View Post

You did ask for "top-notch", didn't you? .

I'll second the Trumper...amazing fragrance.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

May I suggest the 'Lordly" Crown Imperial , a wonderful, fresh, citrusy, English-born cologne:
    Reminscent of the Edwardian barber's shop. A classic citrus eau de cologne with notes of lemon orange and lavender.
    . Great projection and longevity too.

http://www.englishhall.com/product_brand.php?brandId=10&cid=56&sid=71

That site in England doesn't show CI but you might call them.

Here it's priced in dollars: http://www.parfumsraffy.com/crown.ht...FQg1WAodVVbhcg

Scroll down to see CI.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Thumbs up Re: Help a noob (mid 20s) buy something top notch

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    I would highly recommend testing Creed's Original Vetiver and Green Irish Tweed.
    i second that both are great , GIT grabs lots of compliments , but OV gives me more pleasure it really is a refreshing scent for all occasions

Quote Originally Posted by Bren_D View Post
    Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    You did ask for "top-notch", didn't you? .

I'll second the Trumper...amazing fragrance.
    That I did, that I did.

I can see me being laughed out of Fortnums on Friday and heading to Trumper with my tail between my legs the next morning.

The "fresh" creeds are MI and VIW. I never really considered GIT to be a fresh scent.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

You might like Creed's Himalaya, citrus and a woody drydown (the woody drydown is characteristic of most Creeds anyway). The smallest size (30 ml., or about 1 oz.) can be had for under $100 USD.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 31st October 2007 at 08:04 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Phooey on the Creeds. Get some Azzaro pour homme for less than $30.00 on ebay.

Crave is fruity fougere (green) scent with a light wood drydown. I'm not sure if a Creed will have something to match that, but try Green Irish Tweed (not fruity), Virgin Island Water (not a very woody drydown), Erolfa (aquatic / green but not very sweet), or Millesime Imperial (maybe the one, but questionable lasting power).

I've just tried Crave again, (Man, you've got to get a better fragrance) and I think the one that it is nearest to after the top notes is Erolfa - aquatic green and quality wood drydown, but Erolfa has so much more class.

There are other premium companies, too. I would suggest you try Maître Parfumeur et Gantier's Bahiana.

Warning: if you attempt too many fragrances at one time, you'll probably impair your sense of smell for an hour or two - you won't really know what you are smelling, so make sure you get the best probable choices first and spread out the time between fragrance stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    I too was once infatuated with Creed. Having tried most of their frags, I've yet to find one that I could live. Generally, they weren't long lasting, or they just didn't appeal to me enough.

Throwing my hat into the ring, OV is very similar to Mugler Cologne to the point of redundancy. Mugler is much cheaper and long lasting than OV too. GIT is very similar to Cool Water with some subtle differences in the drydown, and I'm at a loss as to why it is so popular. I would encourage you to go the Harrods and spray one scent on one arm and another one on the other arm and then you can make up your own mind.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    I agree witht the Green Irish Tweed--it would be like going from the ridiculous to the sublime.... You might also try their Tabarome Millesime.
    Agree with the TM suggestion. Both Crave and Tabarome have a delicious sharp quality,
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    The "fresh" creeds are MI and VIW. I never really considered GIT to be a fresh scent.

TNMA
    Yes I'd say MI and SMW are the most "fresh" of the good ones. I agree to some extent but then again Cool Water, GIT Lite, is always labelled fresh. Guess that tells you how similar they really are.

Go with Penhaligons Quercus.. Super quality as well as fresh!! (Lasts a long time too)

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    OV is very similar to Mugler Cologne to the point of redundancy. Mugler is much cheaper and long lasting than OV too.
    I have to disagree here. MC is a light, close wearing, lighter scent that lasts about a half day on me. The OV is a much more potent, mouth-watering scent that lasts a full day. It's richer, deeper, and fuller bodied to me than MC. They're very similar but one doesn't replace the other for me.. all depends on the occasion.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I agree with jrd4t, MC is like a watered down OV. I used up their 125ml EDT in about a month last summer, yes it's that weak. I also find OV richer, more refined.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I have to disagree here. MC is a light, close wearing, lighter scent that lasts about a half day on me. The OV is a much more potent, mouth-watering scent that lasts a full day. It's richer, deeper, and fuller bodied to me than MC. They're very similar but one doesn't replace the other for me.. all depends on the occasion.

i actually had the reverse experience. tested OV and was less than impressed, particularly at that price-point, and i have mugler cologne which lasts forever on my skin... if i use a little of the boby lotion, i can get 12+ hours out of it.

Where in Aus u can test Creed.

If you are going to be in central London, there's really no reason to limit yourself to Creed. So many shops strewn around. Check the Ormonde Jayne shop if you don't mind paying (in particular, try Isfarkand...I think you would like it).
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Sadly, I found most of the mainstream creeds to be the ones that didn't interest me GIT is nice and I can see why everyone likes it, but the ones I like are New Tabarome; BdP; OS; Himalaya (is this one mainstream?); REL and AA, I'll ocassionally wear some VIW but that was all considered, a disappointment. Then, at the same time, the ones that I ctually like are more of an acquired taste, save the OS and the Himalaya, so I guess those are more mainstream; I wouldn't recommend BdP or REL or AA to a fragrance novice...

Maybe you can find some luck in the Original Santal, Himalaya, New Tabarome or GIT realm, and later give the rest a whirl.