Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: What is your personal income (including investment or retirement fund income)

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Over $10,000,000

2 1.46%
  • Between $5,000,000 and $10,000,000

0 0%
  • Between $1,000,000 and $5,000,000

1 0.73%
  • Between $500,000 and $1,000,000

1 0.73%
  • Between $150,000 and $500,000

10 7.30%
  • Between $75,000 and $150,000

34 24.82%
  • Between $40,000 and $75,000 per year

33 24.09%
  • Between $20,000 and $40,000 per year

27 19.71%
  • Under $20,000 USD per year

29 21.17%

Default Anonymous poll: Demographics of Fragrance Freaks: What's Your Income

LADIES WELCOME TO ANSWER TOO (too much of a pain to put up the same poll in the ladies' section because of all the poll options...)

I've always been curious about this, but never asked since I didn't know that we could do anonymous polls ...

Since it's such an expensive hobby, I'd guess most people here make significantly more than average (median income in the US is $25,200 for those over 18, and $32,140 above age 25). However, I'd guess there are a few marginal types out there who are not particularly well off but who manage to find crazy deals, or others who just plunge themselves into debt.

I'm also wondering just how well off are the well off who would post in public forums! Do the super-rich deign to participate in a free public forum, or do they have their own private fora with exclusive peasant-blocker membership fees?

Remember that income doesn't necessarily correlate with standard of living - someone making $40,000 US might be rich living in Thailand, and almost destitute in Manhattan.

If anyone can find statistics for *average* (as opposed to median) income in the USA - including investment income, *not* just salaried workers - I'm curious to see those figures. For some reason they seem very difficult to find.

Income numbers for this poll include investments, rent, dividents, profits, etc, not just salaries.

Let's see...
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 31st October 2007 at 02:58 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Default Re: Anonymous poll: Demographics of Fragrance Freaks: What's Your Income

Here in Hungary the wages are rather poor. Taking that into consideration I can be satisfied with my salaries of about 25,000 USD a year.

Default Re: Anonymous poll: Demographics of Fragrance Freaks: What's Your Income

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Here in Hungary the wages are rather poor. Taking that into consideration I can be satisfied with my salaries of about 25,000 USD a year.
    ahahhahahah.Man I take 180 Euro a month.So dont say in Hungary the wages are poor.Come to see what is happening in Bulgaria.We struggle to survive :P

Quote Originally Posted by mr.valchev View Post
    ahahhahahah.Man I take 180 Euro a month.So dont say in Hungary the wages are poor.Come to see what is happening in Bulgaria.We struggle to survive :P
    I feel sorry for that, seriously. The average here in Hungary must be about the third of mine, which seems to be even higher than yours. Eastern-European life. And then might come now answers with numbers half/third of yours, and ten-twenty times higher than mine.
    The world is big and so are the differences.

Well damn, I voted, but just for salary; I missed the investments/retirement part.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    Well damn, I voted, but just for salary; I missed the investments/retirement part.

TNMA
    Ha - I'll tick you off at $10M plus then! Non-salary income is often left out in statistics - it's improtant, because the wealthiest people get the majority of their income from investments, rents, dividends, royalties etc, whereas their salaries might just be upper-middle, nominal or even nil!
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    snip...

If anyone can find statistics for *average* (as opposed to median) income in the USA - including investment income, *not* just salaried workers - I'm curious to see those figures. For some reason they seem very difficult to find.
    ... snip

Let's see...
    I bet the Census Bureau has this kind of information, and it might be available online. More likely, it would be available only to commercial interests, and for a price!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

If you guys can afford to buy from Luckyscent or Aedes, that means you're in the 10 million + range .
    Last edited by knightowl; 31st October 2007 at 08:07 PM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I don't even know, exactly, but we do fit in a range. It changes from year to year and in construction, it's been pretty tough all over the US, lately. We are also stock traders, so that helps. I was doing that while I was on the boards this week.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    If you guys can afford to buy from Luckyscent or Aedes, that means you're in the 10 million + range .
    I never buy from those places, I try to enjoy myself without spending a lot. Plenty to choose from.
    Last edited by beachroses; 31st October 2007 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    If only that were true...I bought a sample or two from Luckyscent
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 1st November 2007 at 02:12 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I'm working on making my first ten mil and if Luckyscent offers a great promo, I could be enticed.

Here's info from a recent (2005) USA census:

http://pubdb3.census.gov/macro/03200.../new01_001.htm

Derived:

Median income $24,325
    Mean income $35,499
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

I'd like to know who voted for $150k-$10mil. I have one question:

Are you single?

::bats eyelashes furiously::

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

For what I understand, we have Bill Gates as a member here, then!

Well, I think the most interesting thing about this site (and the internet in general) is that people of like interests can come together in a community no matter what their financial status or geographical locale. And we can enjoy fragrances whether we are bargain hunting or dropping loads on boutique scents, so everyone can join in. Even in my worst times, I managed to find pretty scented soaps to get me through and they really did help to lift my spirits and make me feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by zeram1 View Post
    Here's info from a recent (2005) USA census:

http://pubdb3.census.gov/macro/03200.../new01_001.htm

Derived:

Median income $24,325
    Mean income $35,499
    Cool, thanks! That's what I expected more or less - that the average would be significantly higher than the median.

The poll results on Basenotes are quite interesting so far as well! When we get more data I'll mike some interpretations/guesses about what it means.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

2 people make over 10mil a year? I hate you both
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    Well, I think the most interesting thing about this site (and the internet in general) is that people of like interests can come together in a community no matter what their financial status or geographical locale. And we can enjoy fragrances whether we are bargain hunting or dropping loads on boutique scents, so everyone can join in. Even in my worst times, I managed to find pretty scented soaps to get me through and they really did help to lift my spirits and make me feel better.
    Indeed - that's one of the things I was wondering - do top bracket people participate in public forums. Looks like a few do at least, which is nice to see - some sense of community/equality in a stratified world.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Oops! Scratch that - class war going on!
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 1st November 2007 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

The conundrum is how you define wealth. To me, income does not translate very well into my definition of wealth. The happiest, most interesting and most serene people I know have a lot of spiritual wealth (to me, being 'spiritual' does not mean the same thing as being religious). More often than not, I have found that spiritual wealth occurs in inverse proportion to material wealth. I wouldn't be surprised if the wealthiest people are actually the ones in the lower tiers of this poll. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    More often than not, I have found that spiritual wealth occurs in inverse proportion to material wealth.
    There are obvious limitations to this rule, just look round in poor Africa - but this conversation seems to float into Off-land

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    The conundrum is how you define wealth. To me, income does not translate very well into my definition of wealth. The happiest, most interesting and most serene people I know have a lot of spiritual wealth (to me, being 'spiritual' does not mean the same thing as being religious). More often than not, I have found that spiritual wealth occurs in inverse proportion to material wealth. I wouldn't be surprised if the wealthiest people are actually the ones in the lower tiers of this poll. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
    That's perfectly valid, but for the purpose of this poll, I'm just interested in how much money people on this site have, not how happy they are or fulfilled, as it's a very expensive hobby. Most people could never dream of having a fridge or cabinet full of Creeds, so it's interesting to know who's on here.

However relating to what you say there is some very interesting research that says that in the USA at least, income actually does correlate to happiness, up to a point. After a certain point, just having all the wealth becomes a burden in itself in terms of managing it, managing lots of properties, etc.

I think that's less true of other countries, and probably less true in certain areas in the US itself. I think money correlated with happiness more when you don't have a strong social safety net, and you don't have a strong family or social network, and access to housing is circumscribed, and therefore you basically need alot of money to have fundamental things like decent food, clothing, shelter, security, health, peace of mind etc.

In certain areas and countries however, you can have alot more security and free time because families are stronger, social networks are stronger, welfare state is stronger, and housing is less circumscribed - it all depends. There's waay more to standard of living than income. In the US I've noticed that many people whether rich or poor work incredibly long hours and have no leisure time, while in Montreal or Europe the pace is alot slower for many people rich or poor.

In any case, so far the results are pretty interesting for this site.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Quote Originally Posted by MiaKulpa View Post
    I'd like to know who voted for $150k-$10mil. I have one question:

Are you single?

lol, I'd just like to know where they work at and can they get me a job ??

However relating to what you say there is some very interesting research that says that in the USA at least, income actually does correlate to happiness, up to a point. After a certain point, just having all the wealth becomes a burden in itself in terms of managing it, managing lots of properties, etc.

I think that's less true of other countries, and probably less true in certain areas in the US itself. I think money correlated with happiness more when you don't have a strong social safety net, and you don't have a strong family or social network, and access to housing is circumscribed, and therefore you basically need alot of money to have fundamental things like decent food, clothing, shelter, security, health, peace of mind etc.

In certain areas and countries however, you can have alot more security and free time because families are stronger, social networks are stronger, welfare state is stronger, and housing is less circumscribed - it all depends. There's waay more to standard of living than income. In the US I've noticed that many people whether rich or poor work incredibly long hours and have no leisure time, while in Montreal or Europe the pace is alot slower for many people rich or poor.
    Your points are valid as well. Good topic - good discussion!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

As far as whether or not money can buy you happiness (I know it's not the issue here, but just fyi) I read a study that said it really doesn't matter, unless you can't cover your basic needs and expenses. I think that goes without saying and some of the happiest people on the planet are probably those getting money for doing those dumb reports, to begin with.

As far as whether or not money can buy you happiness (I know it's not the issue here, but just fyi) I read a study that said it really doesn't matter, unless you can't cover your basic needs and expenses.
    I'd definitely agree with that - but I'd add that leisure and social activities are a basic need, and that the more commercialized your society is, the more you need money to do anything social or leisurely. Also in alot of places people are really isolated like in super-suburbs where you're far away from any place where you can do activities, and shopping or going to the mall becomes the only leisure activity, and you need money for that. Or if you live somewhere like manhattan - there are a zillion great things to do 7 nights a week, but all of it costs money. Without money you're sitting at home staring at the ceiling.

The best situation is when your work *is* a social activity, when you work with friends, and you're working on something that is meaningful to you, not just as an employee whose main function is to make money for someone that you don't care about and who doesn't care about you.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Nature is where we want to be, you can have all the crowds, stores, malls and money. Definitely agree about finding work you enjoy, though!

A wise man once said:

Money might not be able to BUY happiness, but it can buy you a freakin' XBox!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

...you basically need alot of money to have fundamental things like decent food, clothing, shelter, security, health, peace of mind etc.
    This is basically what I think of the topic as well. I think the argument that those with the least wealth are the happiest is utterly ridiculous. There is a certain level of income under which a person trying to live an average American lifestyle would be pretty stressed and miserable. As Scentronic said,

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    A wise man once said:

Money might not be able to BUY happiness, but it can buy you a freakin' XBox!
    An XBox, yes, and shelter, and food, and transportation, and innumerable other requirements for a decent standard of living. None of these things is happiness defined, but I think it's safe to say that most people would be a hell of a lot less happy if they didn't have a house or food or a way to get around.

However, I think the point is also a valid point that after a certain level of income is reached, it doesn't really matter. You think Bill Gates is any happier than Michael Dell? And if you do, do you really think it's because of money alone?

I would also like to say that from my observations, the degree of happiness derived from money has a lot to do with where the money comes from and how it is acquired. In other words, people who are born into wealth tend to take the money for granted and find ways to be miserable, while people who know what it's like to forgo some luxuries (or worse) see the true value in a nice monetary cushion. Of course these two generalizations are not always the case. I can name exceptions on both sides from my own experiences. But not many...
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Woohoo, jumped to the next bracket up.. got a new job! haha
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Nature is where we want to be
    I agree wholeheartedly! Accepting and facing life as it is and no longer trying to change it, as I did for many many years, into something else has brought me immeasurable benefits - inner peace, serenity and harmony with my family, friends and others that I come into contact with. I am also a lot more productive without all of the self-induced stress!

I don't.
    Rather I wish they'd pass along their stock tips on the Off Topic forum.
    Renato

this is an interesting topic. my friends and I (all of us divorced , former stay at home mothers who had to enter the work force cold, two of us in our forties, two of us in our fifties) were discussing what constitutes a "healthy" relationship to money.

I recently took care of two families on both ends of the wealth spectrum at work. frankly, both were rude, obnoxious, demanding and wanted to be waited on hand and foot, the first, because they had money, made it clear that they believed money could buy them everything quicker faster and better than even the sickest person, they were entitled to privilege, the other because they had very little and felt entitled to help in the most unrealistic forms.

This may sound judgmental, my point is to observe these contrasts in situations, yet similarity in attitudes and it made me wonder.

Me, I don't make $10 million a year, (yet) but somehow I always seem to get what I need, plus a few good bottles of perfume
    I'm grateful for that.
    And I think it's nice that we can all dialogue in a rather economically "democratic" manner without letting money differences hinder our exchanges.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 3rd November 2007 at 05:32 PM. Reason: one never knows....
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

For those who are curious, I was one of those who selected $10m a year...

But, then again, I was only joking...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post

So, you only make about 8 or $9m a year?
    No need to be embarrassed, it is still a respectable figure.
    Renato
    Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post

This may sound judgmental, my point is to observe these contrasts in situations, yet similarity in attitudes and it made me wonder.

Your interesting observation doesn't surprise me in the least. Both ends of the spectrum seem to have more than their fair share of those with the attitude that others don't matter, that only they themselves matter. They're the type that like being rude to waiters.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 4th November 2007 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post

I suspected there night be jokers at the top!
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

I was wondering too!

Do guys making ten mil a year have time for basenotes?!

I guess it would depend on your source of income.

Just in case anyone was curious, I was the guy that clicked...well, you should be able to figure that out, considering I'm a student.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

my boyfriend suggested that those making 10ml a year perhaps have a team of writers who can do their posts on basenotes for them.

but maybe that is mean. one should not mock the rich, nor the poor. oh dear, I feel a bit silly. I think it's because I have not chosen my sotd yet. WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!!

now the 10ml I wrote above looks like 10mls of perfume!!! oh dear!

feeling dizzy.....signing off to spritz........
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache