Code of Conduct

Thread: If You Musk...

Question If You Musk...

...what's your go-to?

This category's appeal has eluded me for some time, and though I confess to liking some of the cheap dime-store musks (Jovan, Royal Copenhagen's been growing on me...I know, I'm a fragrance philistine), I still think I don't care much for the white musks that abound these days, though I have found a few frags with a white musk note that don't smell so detergent-ish on me like Lanvin Oxygene Homme - one of the better done aquatics IMHO.

But for a good dose of musk, what are your default choices? For me it's still a very mysterious note so don't hold back...I need all the knowledge I can get :-)
    Loves of Late: Agua Lavanda, Eau Sauvage, Gendarme, Guerlain Vetiver, Guerlain EdC Imperiale, Ivoire de Balmain, Kenzo PH, Mitsouko, Royall Lyme, Tabac Original

Default Re: If You Musk...

Two expensive ones but worth it:

Musc Ravageur

Mûre et Musc Extrême

Not so expensive:

Montana pour Homme

Minotaure

The reviews are under those links.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

I love musk frags and for the muskiest of the musk, oils are the only way to go.
    Black, white, red, Egyptian, Tunisian, etc...there are so many to explore.
    Ebay has a great source in Agarscents Bazaar. They sell my HG musk scent, Dhen Musk Rose.
    Other online sources include madini.com & attarbazaar.com.
    If they more standard EdTs are what you are looking for than my favs are:
    Montale Roses Musk
    Kiehl's Original Musk
    Lorenzo Villoresi Musk

And in case you haven't seen the trend, I like a little rose with my musk.
    Have fun!

ck be is one of my favorites along with Jovan White Musk.

kiehls is a good good one
    muschio by santa maria novella

Basenotes Institution

Affordable: Narciso Rodriguez for Him
    Expensive: Narciso Rodriguez Musk for Him
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Bvlgari PH, while not exactly exciting, always keeps me coming back. One of the longest standing scents in my wardrobe. A very clean, unassuming woody-musk background.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I've only just started exploring musks myself, but I'm liking the powerhouse musks already - Muscs Koublai Khan and Musc Ravageur. Of the two, MR is the safer bet. I'm not sure I have what it takes to pull off MKK in public (yet), but it is beautiful.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 1st November 2007 at 02:48 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Cool Re: If You Musk...

MKK---One of the few Lutens that doesn't do the honeyed fruitcake schtick. At least it doesn't make me want to reach for al Alka-Seltzer afterwards.

What does it take to wear it in public? Spray it on lightly.

I mean what's the problem?
    It's not feminine, imho.
    Raunchy perhaps, but I believe that MR smells far "lighter"-- as does Jaipur PH, and a dozen others, for that matter.

Now if you wear Vintage Tabarome or Azzarro PH and start getting compliments on how sweet and yummy you smell, then there might be a problem . . .

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Thrax

Santa Maria Novella Musk

Good question! After MKK, is there a musk worth finding? I hope so. Please let me know what lives up to this masterpiece.

Kiehls Musk

Monsieur Musk (Houbigant).. Ridiculously cheap and damn sexy (My 2nd favourite scent out of the 30 i own)

Thumbs up Re: If You Musk...

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Good question! After MKK, is there a musk worth finding? I hope so. Please let me know what lives up to this masterpiece.
    To me, MKK is the only musk that matters.

CBMUsk, from CB I Hate Perfume, is either one of the greatest musks or one of the vilest. It starts off smokey, with notes of overripe fruits, and then turns into something that could be described as damb wool, pipe tobacco or barbecued meat, or the three of them altogother It is e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y potent and, in that case, less is more. It is somehow primitive and totally bewildering, at least to me.

Santa Maria Novella "Muschio" (Musk) is my holy grail musk scent. Lorenzo Villoresi Musk is excellent, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Santa Maria Novella "Muschio" (Musk) is my holy grail musk scent. Lorenzo Villoresi Musk is excellent, too.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Lately, Narciso Rodriguez for Him.
    Its a musk must-have!

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    MKK---One of the few Lutens that doesn't do the honeyed fruitcake schtick. At least it doesn't make me want to reach for al Alka-Seltzer afterwards.

What does it take to wear it in public? Spray it on lightly.
    I would if I had some...

Unfortunately, a fumble-fingered TSA baggage inspector accidentally dropped my sample vial of MKK yesterday, which shattered on the floor. So, if you happen to walk by Gate 14 at Kansas City International Airport and detect a sweaty, musky odor...
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan