Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Basenotes Fun Quiz-*****ANSWERS GIVEN*****

Hello Family...In preparation for the Holidays coming quickly upon us, I have constructed a little Quiz that I want as many of you to participate in. There will be different catagories and you will have to answer at least TWO questions from at least FOUR catagories.

Rules:
    1. PM me the answers-Please do not leave them here on the Thread. When you leave the answers leave the Number of the catagory and letter with your answers.
    2. Please leave a Post here on this Thread to let me know you have PM'd your answers.
    3. You can leave any comments on this Thread. If you find any question to hard let me know and I will give further clues on this post.

Now there will be a Prize for TWO of you for your participation..One name will be selected from all of you for this...oh...the Drums are playing.:bounce: ..the Trumpets are sounding.:bounce: :bounce: ..there is dancing in the street......:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:...Yeah.....The WINNER of this will receive a $200.00 Aedes Gift Card....

AND

One name will be selected for the Noter who gets all the answers right-or closest to it. .This person will win another prize..Now that is a secret until this Quiz ends on the 30th November, 2007-Winners will be announced on the 1st December.

Ok are you all ready...Here we go:

1. Basenotes-These answers are found here:

A) Andy Warhol Silver Factory will be available in December. Name the notes in this.
    B How many scents does Col have in his wardrobe?
    C) Who was the winner of this years Easter Egg Hunt?
    D) In the Basenotes Men's Fragrance and Grooming Awards 2001-What was Men's Fragrance for the Evening?
    E) What independent Niche Perfumer has just repackaged and upgraded his fragrances?
    F) What year was Ralph Lauren's Monogram released?
    G) Name me one Top, Middle and Base note of JHL-Aramis?
    H) How many Basenoters have Havana on their Wishlist?
    I) What year did Original Source Lime win in Best Shower Gel?-(Basenotes Awards)

2. Aedes-New York:

A) Name me one of the products exclusive to this location.
    B) What are the Names of the Owners?
    C) The People of the Labyrinths-Luctor et Emergo is sold here. What is the translation?
    D) Name one of the new Fragrances here.
    E) Tea for Two-L'Artisan Parfumeur-It begins with the curling rising steam of what Tea?
    F) Who founded VIP Room EDT? - How many are there in the 'Limited Edition'?

3. The Perfume Shoppe-Vancouver:

A) Name Three of the scents from Parfumerie Generale.
    B) Give me all the notes for Bois Blond.
    C) Name Three things that are new here.
    D) Name Two of their 'Hard-To-Find' Fragrances.
    E) Name the Owner? She would sit where on a counter in her father's shop as a child?
    F) What is suggested be layered with Red Ginger-Susanne Lang in the daytime?
    G) What Basenoter mentions his visit here in his Travelogue?

4. The Emperor of Scent-Chandler Burr:

A) Name Five of his Favorite perfumes?
    B) Which scent did he say he wore in fine restaurants, and it was the most delicious thing about the entire evening.
    C) Name ONE of the things he says make a "good perfume".
    D) In his Ten favorite perfumes-one of them is not a perfume but a perfume ingredient. What is this?
    E) January 5th, 1998- Who did he talk to that influenced this book?

5. Miscellaneous: Some of the answers here are found on Now Smell This

A) What 2001 Female Fragrance release was marketed in Japan in some Women's AND Men's Departments?
    B) Name Three fragrance brands from Selfridges.
    C) What year was Jacques Fath Green Water released?
    D) What new Men's Limited Edition Fragrance is being sold at Harrods?
    E) Give me the name of the Boys Cologne in Abercrombie and Fitch that is also the name of one of the Medical Staff on TV show 'House'.
    F) Name the 1997 Fragrance Hall of Fame Fragrance Winner for the Fragrance Foundation.
    G) Name Three celebrities who wear Green Irish Tweed? What are two of its notes?
    What year did it win Best Men's Fragrance for Daywear in Basenotes Awards?

6. Ayala Moriel Parfums:

A) How many scents are in this collection?
    B) Charm...Magnetism...What scent is named from these words? Name Three notes.
    C) We believe people can smell great without _______ _______ _______.
    D) Broad Smile.. ...What scent is named from this? What family does this belong too.
    E) The nose and founder creates perfumes that are inspired from which childhood landscape?

***Aedes, The Perfume Shoppe and Alaya Moriel Parfums have all given permission to be used here.***

Well the very best to you all and I hope you all have fun here.

Fragrance On,

Otto.....

Last edited by Otto; 11th December 2007 at 12:36 AM.

Default Re: Basenotes Fun Quiz

PM sent
    You are not your perfume.

I love it. Love how involved it is.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Wow! This is brilliant, Otto.

Unfortunately, Aedes doesn't ship to Europe...

Hey Buddy...If you win...I will work something out for you....No worries...So again.

Fragrance On,

Otto

Ooooooookay!

PM Scent lol

PM sent
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

How fun! PM sent.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Thanks for this wonderful idea

PM sent.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

This is fun. I PM'ed you, but I forgot to add the numbers for the categories. I hope it's still legit.

Your good Sir.

Peace,

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 2nd November 2007 at 04:36 PM.

PM sent!

Thanks for a great contest!
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

new PM sent with the Ayala Moriel answers thanks!

Sweat....did it....hoping to see if lady luck is on my side this time.....Cheers!!!!

PM'd you! Fun contest, by the way.

PM'ed! Thanks!

Thanks Otto... just PM'd you my answers.

pm sent! yay!
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Great fun, Otto, especially being confined to the house with a nasty flu.

I'm totally stuck on question 5a and would really love a little hint

Cheers
    Tom
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

PM'd you a clue.

Get better soon.

Peace,

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 17th November 2007 at 11:27 AM.
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Sent my answers . How exciting!
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

PM sent.

Thanks Otto - this was fun! :bounce:
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

summer means fireflys

PM'ed my answers to you ...

I'm such a procrastinator I almost waited til the last minute ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Ha Ha....No worries...at least your in....

Peace,

Otto

Default Re: Basenotes Fun Quiz-THREE Days till the WINNERS are announced.

hey amigo,great experience,i answer the questions with Jimi Hendrix in the audio
    "Are You Experienced " ideal
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Domenico Caraceni,Great Jones Bond Nº9,G.Trumper Wild Fern

Default Re: Basenotes Fun Quiz-THREE Days till the WINNERS are announced.

PM sent

Default Re: Basenotes Fun Quiz-TWO Days till the WINNERS are announced.

Also sent PM. Thanks.
    Mira

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Re: Basenotes Fun Quiz-TWO Days till the WINNERS are announced.

PM sent! Lordy, Lordy....
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Default Re: Basenotes Fun Quiz-ONE more Day till the WINNERS are announced.

PM sent. Thanks!

PM sent!

Just under the wire: PM sent!

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Pms.

My pidgeon is on it's way.

Default Re: Basenotes Fun Quiz-WINNERS ANNOUNCED

It is with great pleasure that I announce the winners of this Quiz

MiaKupla-$200.00 Aedes Gift Card

ChrisW - Bottle of Guerlain Heritage, Platinum Egoiste and Anteaus

You guys can PM me your addresses and I will send the loot off next week.

My profound Thanks to all of you that entered and I hope it was not to difficult for you..

*******Special Special Thanks to Aedes, The Perfume Shoppe-Vancouver, Ayala Moriel Parfums and Chandler Burr's book The Emperor of Scent for letting me use you in this quiz.*******

Well have a great weekend everybody and as the season approaches, shop sensibly ( Please.....Do not go into debt...AHAHAHAHAHAHHHAAH ) and keep safe.

Well it's over and out for me for now...

Peace,

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 1st December 2007 at 05:50 PM.

Congratulations to the happy and clever winners

And a big thank you to Otto for organising this fun quiz.

Otto, would you reveal the correct answers so that I can see where I went embarrassingly into the wrong direction?
    Last edited by Riannon; 1st December 2007 at 01:19 PM.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

That was fun. Thanks Otto and happy holidays!

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon View Post
    Congratulations to the happy and clever winners

And a big thank you to Otto for organising this fun quiz.

Otto, would you reveal the correct answers so that I can see where I went embarrassingly into the wrong direction?
    I will reveal the correct answers...Give me a few days though...my plate is very full at the moment....

Peace,

Otto

Talking Re: Basenotes Fun Quiz-WINNERS ANNOUNCED

OMGWTFBBQ!!1!

::goes to podium and unfolds acceptance speech paper::

Wow I never win anything! I guess it pays to wait until the last minute huh?

Thank you Otto, not just for the winning prize but for organizing such a fun treasure hunt. It was a blast googling and ctrl + Fng the answers from all over the interwebs. I learned a lot in the process, not least that Col has an insanely large collection and lots of unlisted directory frags, and that Giorgio is in the Fragrance Hall of Fame. The proceeds from this win will go towards beefing up my pitiful little newbie fragrance wardrobe, and I am grateful.

Thank you Ayala for your wittily named scents and especially for not testing your products on animals, but shhjeez, you offer a lot of different perfumes. Really!

Chandler Burr. You are very special. Your love of Paris' roses, and Angel, and a LOT of your other favorites must have given you a lot to talk about with Luca Turin on the Eurostar at Gare du Nord on January 5th, 1998.

Thank you Walker Minton for your now historic trip to visit Nazarin at the Perfume Shoppe in Vancouver. Did she sit on the counter like she used to do at her dad's perfume shop in Zanzibar, Tanzania?

And finally, thank you Karl Bradl and Robert Gerstner at Aedes for your fabulous selection of fine fragrances from the best niche and luxury fragrance lines in the world -- I'll be in touch REAL soon. ::big wink::

::kisses Otto full on the mouth, grabs gift certificate and stuffs it down bra, and heads for the wings teetering on her Manolos::

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

This is a most delightful acceptance speech, funny, hilarious, and gracious!

Congrats to the winners
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

thank you riannon and rtamara! I'm a happy girl!

Quote Originally Posted by MiaKulpa View Post
    OMGWTFBBQ!!1!

::goes to podium and unfolds acceptance speech paper::

Wow I never win anything! I guess it pays to wait until the last minute huh?

Thank you Otto, not just for the winning prize but for organizing such a fun treasure hunt. It was a blast googling and ctrl + Fng the answers from all over the interwebs. I learned a lot in the process, not least that Col has an insanely large collection and lots of unlisted directory frags, and that Giorgio is in the Fragrance Hall of Fame. The proceeds from this win will go towards beefing up my pitiful little newbie fragrance wardrobe, and I am grateful.

Thank you Ayala for your wittily named scents and especially for not testing your products on animals, but shhjeez, you offer a lot of different perfumes. Really!

Chandler Burr. You are very special. Your love of Paris' roses, and Angel, and a LOT of your other favorites must have given you a lot to talk about with Luca Turin on the Eurostar at Gare du Nord on January 5th, 1998.

Thank you Walker Minton for your now historic trip to visit Nazarin at the Perfume Shoppe in Vancouver. Did she sit on the counter like she used to do at her dad's perfume shop in Zanzibar, Tanzania?

And finally, thank you Karl Bradl and Robert Gerstner at Aedes for your fabulous selection of fine fragrances from the best niche and luxury fragrance lines in the world -- I'll be in touch REAL soon. ::big wink::

::kisses Otto full on the mouth, grabs gift certificate and stuffs it down bra, and heads for the wings teetering on her Manolos::

I fell out laughing when I read this...Laffin my Gluteus Maximus off..AHAHAHAHAHAHA...You go ahead with ya Aedes Gift Card.....
    :bounce:

All the best to you during this season.

Peace,

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 12th December 2007 at 10:07 PM.

Woohoo! That's an awesome prize, thanks Otto! Thanks for the contest and I'm sending you a PM now.

I'm looking forward to these frags, I got a feeling they are going to be the macho classics that will take some getting used to. Anteaus, we meet again. This time, you will not get the best of me.

Congrats to the winners, and once again to Otto, thanks for being such a special BN'er!

Aw man, I wish I wrote a better acceptance speech lol. I was so elated when I opened up my browser this morning and I was going to type something 'from the heart,' but my Internet is horrible lately and I couldn't get the page to reload! After countless resets and button pushing, I finally got things working, and I forgot my speech!

But ditto on everything MiaKulpa said! But I didn't wait until the last minute, I had some free time, and it actually took me a LONG time to finish haha. I got sucked in and absorbed into the questions of the quiz and did a lot of research and actually learned a lot! (this quiz was well thought out and had a lot of material!--kudos!) It felt like homework that was actually fun to do, and I had a blast.

So, big wink to Mia too, and thanks everyone for the congrats, and thanks Otto for all you put into this Basenotes Fun Quiz! I won't be teetering off on Monolos, but I'll be sniffing heavily this holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post

So, big wink to Mia too, and thanks everyone for the congrats, and thanks Otto for all you put into this Basenotes Fun Quiz! I won't be teetering off on Monolos, but I'll be sniffing heavily this holiday.
    big wink back to ChrisW and Otto, and thank you Dmitri! I'm disappointed that you aren't wearing Manolos, Chris, maybe some Jimmy Choo's instead?

::

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    Woohoo! That's an awesome prize, thanks Otto! Thanks for the contest and I'm sending you a PM now.

I'm looking forward to these frags, I got a feeling they are going to be the macho classics that will take some getting used to. Anteaus, we meet again. This time, you will not get the best of me.
    Heya Chris...Congrats Man......If for some reason these smellies are not to your liking you feel free to do what you wish with them...No worries...Trust me I will not be offended in anyway.

Peace,

Otto

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Congratulations to ChrisW and MiaKulpa!

But I feel all of us who were able to share in seeking answers to Otto's wonderful Quiz were winners also.

Thanks, Otto, for a great fragrance puzzler page. I know it kept me busy for some fun-filled and educational online hours, and ultimately I had to make a guess at the answer to 5A..

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    ...ultimately I had to make a guess at the answer to 5A..
    I also took a stab at 5A... and Im curious to hear what answers others came up with!
    I guessed D&G Light Blue as, when I was working in the industry, many male visitors and tourists from Asia were asking after D&GLB, referring to it as a unisex scent.
    What did other people guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I also took a stab at 5A... and Im curious to hear what answers others came up with!
    I guessed D&G Light Blue as, when I was working in the industry, many male visitors and tourists from Asia were asking after D&GLB, referring to it as a unisex scent.
    What did other people guess?
    That's what I put,

I feel like I'm comparing answers after a big high school finals. "What did you put for number 17!?" LOL

And thanks for the congrats, kbe. :
    Last edited by MiaKulpa; 1st December 2007 at 09:32 PM.

Whats the answer to 4D?
    I am ABSOLUTELY sure thats where i went wrong....I looked and looked but coudnt find this...I found this list of Chandler's top ten but there was no mention of any ingredient in there....i am curious to know what it was?

I too was stuck with 5A but with the help of a hint i guessed it, though nowhere on the internet i could find that D&G Light Blue was thought upon as a unisex fragrance....It was the only D&G launched in the year 2001 so i had no trouble guessing...Besides i wear it too....so i thought it must have been perceived as unisex by others too :-)

Overall a fun quiz.....and ofcourse Congratulations to the lucky winners --Miakulpa & ChrisW...

gupts

for 4d I put the rose since he noted that Paris is all about the rose. But I may be wrong since I was the random winner not the picked-the-most-right-answers winner.

and thanks, gupts!

Lol... for 4D I put Coco(a) from Coco Mademoiselle. I was stumped there too...

It will be interesting to read Ottos definitive answers!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Lol... for 4D I put Coco(a) from Coco Mademoiselle. I was stumped there too...
    lol creative!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

4D. "Paris is a gigantically wonderful rose" was a quote from the notes so I put Paris thinking rose was an ingredient in many fragrances. (also as there is a Paris Rose)

5A. I put Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue also. Just a guess but I thought it fit the question best from what I knew about the 2001 Female fragrance releases. That was a toughie! I told Otto in PM when I sent in my answers that I had to guess at
    5A. He PMd me back saying it was correct.
    Last edited by kbe; 1st December 2007 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Whats the answer to 4D?
    I am ABSOLUTELY sure thats where i went wrong....I looked and looked but coudnt find this...I found this list of Chandler's top ten but there was no mention of any ingredient in there....i am curious to know what it was?

I too was stuck with 5A but with the help of a hint i guessed it, though nowhere on the internet i could find that D&G Light Blue was thought upon as a unisex fragrance....It was the only D&G launched in the year 2001 so i had no trouble guessing...Besides i wear it too....so i thought it must have been perceived as unisex by others too :-)

Overall a fun quiz.....and ofcourse Congratulations to the lucky winners --Miakulpa & ChrisW...

gupts
    Bigarade is an ingredient (Seville or Bitter Orange) as well as the name of many perfumes
    I was stumped on 5A, but after a hint from Otto decided it had to be Light Blue.
    My Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Bigarade is an ingredient (Seville or Bitter Orange) as well as the name of many perfumes
    I was stumped on 5A, but after a hint from Otto decided it had to be Light Blue.
    oh *that's* what it was! d'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    The hints for 4D were

What horses eat?

Answer

Bigarade??????????????