Code of Conduct

Cool Macho Man Scents that turn Feminine

On your skin.

I've never been the least bit surprised that Givenchy Gentleman has a following among women, who love the scent on themselves----let alone scents like JHL or Acier Aluminium.

What did surprise me was when a female friend asked me if I had bought anything new lately. I told her I had--at a drugstore.
    She proceeded to spray generous amounts on herself, and then dismissed it as " A little old ladies perfume. "

It was
    (Ready?)
    Azzarro PH (1978) Yeah, there's a little old lady frag if there ever was one!

Well, perhaps she might have been put off by the aniseed top note,

But the story has a sequel: 10 hours later when she called me on the phone and informed me that tons of people at work had complimented her on what a great, feminine scent she was wearing!

She wasn't kiddding. If anything I would have thought her co-workers would have kidded her about using an 'old man's cologne'

Nope. Feminine.

Too weird---but very interesting---

So my question is this: Are there other macho/powerhouses (not all necesseraly from the 'oakmoss '80s' ) which on your skin get transformed into sheer, radiant beauty?

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Default Re: Macho Man Scents that turn Feminine

Well, there's L'Occitane Orange Leaves which is supposed to be for women (or unisex) and I thought it smelled like the sexiest man alive when I tried it, so I got it in reverse.

Most of the quality masculine fragrances smell good on women. It has nothing to do with "turning feminine".

As Luca Turin said, for the most part, only women can wear fragrances such as Azzaro Pour Homme without being faintly ridiculous. I love the stuff but I see what he's sayin.

The whole masculine x feminine theme is absurd in the first place. If you're genuinely secure, you wear whatever you want without even considering what someone else thinks about it. Many of the quality feminine fragrances smell extremely good on the most masculine men.
    Last edited by pluran; 1st November 2007 at 05:21 AM.

I don't know about feminine, but certainly things can turn sweet, especially on my skin. Tabac Blond is fairly dry on me for the top and middle notes... but the base notes turn into hyper-sweet vanilla; a cone of soft-serve on my skin. It's too bad, as otherwise this would be a fragrance I'd wear a lot.
    Some things also turn to soap to an alarming degree, but that's a different subject...

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Most of the quality masculine fragrances smell good on women. It has nothing to do with "turning feminine".

The whole masculine x feminine theme is absurd in the first place. If you're genuinely secure, you wear whatever you want without even considering what someone else thinks about it. Many of the good feminine fragrances smell excellent on extremely masculine men.
    Amen.

Which reminds me: when I once wore A*Men at work and had to visit another department, a voice from the next room declared "I can smell something lovely, a WOMAN has entered our office"
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Cool Re: Macho Man Scents that turn Feminine

As Luca Turin said, for the most part, only women can wear fragrances such as Azzaro Pour Homme without being faintly ridiculous. I love the stuff but I see what he's sayin.

The whole masculine x feminine theme is absurd in the first place. If you're genuinely secure, you wear whatever you want without even considering what someone else thinks about it. Many of the quality feminine fragrances smell extremely good on the most masculine men.

Agreed!

But note the magic word: " Quality. "

I suppose a man could wear the unisex (?) Pink Sugar and get a bevy of beauties to exclaim: " Wow! A man has just entered our office! "
    But I wouldn't bet on it . . .

And Tigs, A*men is um . . . Not one of my favorite and rather sweet to begin with, isn't it?

Now, if you get the same compliment wearing Platinum Egoiste, Salvador Dali PH or Insense Ultramarine-- then, I'd say---you're working for a very strange company.

Pax, 'all.

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I was wearing Acier Aluminium yesterday and I wouldn't have been able to tell you if it was labelled for a man or a woman. Most of the straight vetivers too. Lovely stuff!
    Oh and I wear Jicky all the time and adore it. Apparently, so does Sean Connery. Does that mke me or him adventurous?
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I don't enjoy wearing men's or unisex fragrances without layering them with a floral and I am not "insecure," I just don't like smelling like a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    I don't enjoy wearing men's or unisex fragrances without layering them with a floral and I am not "insecure," I just don't like smelling like a guy.
    A former member was always saying big no-no-nos to men's scents, too, and was quite shocked when she learned that MPG Ambre Précieux and L'Artisan Voleur de Roses which she had been wearing happily for ages were actually "for men"...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I know, many really do work well for women, I just haven't found any I like without layering, which I don't mind doing! Haven't tried them all.... yet. I have been lemming Eau de Guerlain by the description and would like to sample that one. Imperiale worked well for me layered with rose water, loved that combo.

I bet Luca Turin would agree with you. I'm sure he wears the scents he loves (imagining LT in Farnesiana)

Blog Entries

Talking Re: Macho Man Scents that turn Feminine

If you check my wardrobe you will see that I have many 'ubermasculine' / ultra macho scents in my collection. In fact my collection of masculine colognes is bigger and butcher than my S.O. not to mention quite a few men on this forum...

To list a few:

Michael Kors Michael for Men
    YSL M7
    Aramis Aramis for Men
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Christian Dior Jules
    Halston Z-14
    Crown Perfumery Crown Fougere
    Crown Perfumery Imperial
    Crown Perfumery Eau de Quinine
    Crown Perfumery Town & Country
    Caron Yatagan
    Gres Quiproquo

**flexs biceps**
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Cute. Now, I've got Eau de Guerlain stuck in my head... as if I don't have enough problems! lol
    Last edited by beachroses; 2nd November 2007 at 03:49 PM.

When I was even more of a newie than I am now I was given a sample of Idole de Lubin - one of the sexiest juices ever to bloom on this happy bod.

Only last week did I notice it rated that blue circle with the arrow pointing up and to the right.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze