Code of Conduct

Default Santos Eau de Sport

Do these ingredients add up to a "Sport Fragrance"? I bought a bottle on e-bay and to me, it's molto eleganto, not gruppo sportivo. A sublime, 80's gem.

* Top Notes
    Lemon, Tarragon, Coriander, Artemisia, Bergamot, Green Notes ,

* Middle Notes
    Jasmin, Carnation, Orange Blossom, Fir, Thyme, Cedar, Vetiver, Sandal, Patchouli ,

*Base Notes
    Benzoin, Vanilla, Tonka, Styrax, Labdanum, Amber, Moss, Musk,
    Last edited by socalwoman; 2nd September 2012 at 01:45 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Why is it called Santos Eau de Sport?

I would say a qualified "Yes."

First of all, the European idea of a sporty cologne might be a bit wider than an American's take on it. Secondly, citrus-spicy-green top notes are really very sporty. The florals in the middle aren't too floral (the carnation here will give an isoeugenol "clove" scent to the florals), and are balanced by lots of woody notes; so, still sporty to my nose. The base notes are a little oriental in cast, but that's pretty typical for men's scents; labdanum (amber or leather), moss, and musk are all routine. And last of all, we have to remember that this is a variation on Santos, so we should expect some of it to show through in the final product. Even so, comparing it with the original Santos notes in osmoz.com, they seem only to have kept vetiver, vanilla, and patchouli;
    from the original list, verbena, basil, lavender, juniper berries, nutmeg, geranium, rosemary, sandalwood, and castoreum are all gone.

I haven't smelled this one, so of course, my nose can't say "sporty." but looking at the list of notes, I can see it being a somewhat rich, European "sporty."
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Tend to agree that it doesn't smell sporty, but it is excellent. Plastic bottle too, great for throwing in a gym bag or travel.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post

First of all, the European idea of a sporty cologne might be a bit wider than an American's take on it. I haven't smelled this one, so of course, my nose can't say "sporty." but looking at the list of notes, I can see it being a somewhat rich, European "sporty."
    "Euro-Sporty" - perfect for Polo, Yachting, Steeple Chase, Grand Prix and, of course, riding your bike to work during a national strike.

Basenotes Institution

How does this compare side-by-side to Santos? I don't really like Santos.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I'm not a big fan of Santos either. A side by side I can not do, but the eau de Sport has that "beautiful blend" that many fans of Big 80's men's frags adore. I would have loved it then, but now I find it a bit dated.

Sport is a bit lighter than the original, but the resemblance is definitely there.

Default My Incredible Find- Santos Eau de Sport!

Hello Basenoters,

A while back I posted about an elderly gent who I met through a friend who owns some lovely old fragrances. He used to be in the shipping business years ago and has some incredible stuff in his house apart from perfumes.

Today was father's day here in Australia and my wife and little girl took me out for breakfast which was beautiful. As we were leaving my elderly friend called me and asked me to drop in as he had a box of fragrances he had in stored and had taken out to sort.

I went around and went through the box. Some fragrances had no box and nothing much to write about until I came across three bottles of Santos Eau de Sport by Cartier- still with cellophane and perfect.

I had to buy these as this discontinued fragrance is pretty rare as I seem to remember. Over $100 each but I couldn't walk away without them. Tonight I'm in heaven with this amazing rich and sensual scent. Thanks Cartier!!!!!
    Last edited by koala501; 2nd September 2012 at 08:14 AM.
    La vita č breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned

Default Re: My Incredible Find- Santos Eau de Sport!

Your delightful breakfast and Santos Eau de Sport find must have made your Father's Day.

Enjoy!

Certainly a 'European' sport cologne. Rich and full not at all a watered down version with more citrus added! If you've had a chance to try the amazing Antaeus sport cologne you'll know what I mean. The patchouli and moss add to a wonderfully blended coriander in the top notes. The labdanum and styrax just add to the richness and masculine power. This will be in my wardobe all year round- Yes, even in summer- I am bewitched by this great fragrance.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: My Incredible Find- Santos Eau de Sport!

Awww, Thanks $&C!!!!! Indeed a wonderful day!

Default Re: Santos Eau de Sport

A very nice scent - sporty or not.

It's vintage Santos but more creamy, green (chlorophyl?), minty (just a tad) and vanilla.

Blog Entries

Awesome find!

The whole Santos franchise is fragrance gold. I look forward to sniffing that one someday.

And I'll echo dollars&scents - Happy Father's Day!