Code of Conduct

Default Should non-metrosexual wear cologne daily?

Or only for special occasions? I don't want to come off as vain or desperate for attention. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Default Re: Should non-metrosexual wear cologne daily?

I'm so far from metro and I wear something every single day and for every occasion. It is just something that defines me and if you want to do that then there is nothing vain about it.

Obviously we like when someone appreciates smelling something good on somone so there is some attraction of attention but you don't need to look desperate about it and dump a bottle on you everytime you go out. You'll wreak!

So, to answer you question... I say wear it daily if you want to. Would you rather smell like everyone else or a little better? That is up to you. I say go for it. I'll be doing it for the rest of my life... everyday...

Off-Scenter

Wear something like Yatagan or Parfum d'Habit every day and you'll hardly smell "metrosexual."

Metrosexual is being used as a modern synonym for "fop." Being a fop is a matter of overall demeanor, not your fragrance. Wear what makes you happy, and don't worry whether anybody else thinks you're metrosexual.

I wear cologne for myself. Love catching little hints here and there throughout the day, very uplifting. Sometimes it is for someone else......:-)

Somedays I don't wear anything, like Sunday usually. Don't shave either.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

I just want to smell fresh and clean and on the understated/conservative side. Is Acqua di Parma Colonia a good candidate for someone in late 20s, early 30s? Thanks!
    Last edited by a529612; 1st November 2007 at 08:19 PM.

Well, my advise is to have a normal fresh scent for those normal days without a special occasion.

But the trick is to have a scent that is just a litle different from the rest.

Basically, this means you need to avoid Davidoff Cool Water and Acqua Di Gio by Armani.

In my experience, Chrome Azzaro is popular but not many people wear it.
    It's also well liked by everyone.

If you have very special or even controversial scents, it's better to keep those for special occasions.

Hell, I just like to smell good.

Quote Originally Posted by a529612 View Post
    I just want to smell fresh and clean and on the understated/conservative side. Is Acqua di Parma Colonia a good candidate for someone in late 20s, early 30s? Thanks!
    I believe you mean Colonia Assoulta. It is a really good scent that is underrated so you wont have to smell it on too many other people. It is perfect for the age you mentioned, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS View Post
    I believe you mean Colonia Assoulta. It is a really good scent that is underrated so you wont have to smell it on too many other people. It is perfect for the age you mentioned, in my opinion.
    How about the original AdP?

The original AdP is perfect for someone in their 20s, just as long as they know what they are doing.

I certainly would not consider myself metrosexual and I wear cologne every single day. Don't trip off labels. If you want to wear cologne, then wear it. Hey, there are guys on this forum that wear women's perfume and I know they pull ladies. They are comfortable with themselves and want to smell great.

Wear what you like and when you like it.
    Last edited by Nicolas V; 2nd November 2007 at 03:08 AM.
    You are not your perfume.

Wear a fragrance every day if you wish to do so - I think it's much more about how you come across that affects whether you'll be seen one way or another. If you wear something nice with confidence and it's just part of you, then I don't think anyone will think anything about you that you don't want.

If you actually *are* vain or desperate for attention, then that may be how you'll come across - not only because of your choice of wearing a fragrance, but because of other elements in your behavior that will come forth. But if you use the fragrance just because it's an accessory, because you want to have a bit of fun, or because it's something you enjoy, they you'll be fine.
    Where once there was no scents to it all, now the world opens before me!

Only Metrosexuals/Homosexuals/Females should wear cologne daily. It is important that they smell great all the time, and no one else. If you are a straight non-metrosexual male, you should never wear cologne, ever. If you don't smell like fresh (or stale) sweat, you are not a real man. This is especially important for men who are insecure about their sexuality- they should never wear cologne. When you work out, wring your sweaty towel into a bucket, and use a sterile pipette to spread about 3 mls of sweat on your neck and wrists every day. Keep the bucket of sweat refrigerated for best results. Do this ritual daily and you will feel more like a real man, and any insecurities about being 'gay' for enjoying fragrance will surely fade.

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    ...When you work out, wring your sweaty towel into a bucket, and use a sterile pipette to spread about 3 mls of sweat on your neck and wrists every day. Keep the bucket of sweat refrigerated for best results. Do this ritual daily and you will feel more like a real man, and any insecurities about being 'gay' for enjoying fragrance will surely fade.
    Haha. Other "approved" masculine scents are motor vehicle fuels such as gasoline and diesel, gunpowder, gun oil, bourbon and cigars. For a really dangerous scent, wear gasoline, gunpowder and sulphur!

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    Wear a fragrance every day if you wish to do so - I think it's much more about how you come across that affects whether you'll be seen one way or another. If you wear something nice with confidence and it's just part of you, then I don't think anyone will think anything about you that you don't want.

If you actually *are* vain or desperate for attention, then that may be how you'll come across - not only because of your choice of wearing a fragrance, but because of other elements in your behavior that will come forth. But if you use the fragrance just because it's an accessory, because you want to have a bit of fun, or because it's something you enjoy, they you'll be fine.
    Seriously, echerub has it right.

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    Haha. Other "approved" masculine scents are motor vehicle fuels such as gasoline and diesel, gunpowder, gun oil, bourbon and cigars.
    You know... I'd be rather intrigued to see what a perfumer could come up with using those notes!

what about bisexual, gay husbands, closeted homosexuals?

gay husbands? that's random. i suppose a gay husband would wear Kouros, so his wife won't want to touch him.

Talking Re: Should non-metrosexual wear cologne daily?

The term, "metrosexual," as originally coined, described heterosexual men who have adopted the dress and appearance of gay men.

Nothing more, nothing less.

I wear cologne every day, I lean towards both the masculine and unisex scents, and feel comfortable doing so as long as I respect others "personal space". I have a hard time with the "shoulds"...

Do what pleases you and don't worry about what others say.

IMHO
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    The term, "metrosexual," as originally coined,...
    From the man who coined the term, Meet the metrosexual by Mark Simpson.

"The typical metrosexual is a young man with money to spend, living in or within easy reach of a metropolis -- because that's where all the best shops, clubs, gyms and hairdressers are. He might be officially gay, straight or bisexual, but this is utterly immaterial because he has clearly taken himself as his own love object and pleasure as his sexual preference." --Mark Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    You know... I'd be rather intrigued to see what a perfumer could come up with using those notes!
    Comme des Garcons Garage and Profumum Fumidus. About as far from fresh and clean as I have worn.
    Last edited by Sloan; 27th December 2007 at 12:51 AM.

ahhhhhhhhaagaga funny funny about the sweat bucket. Good idea on the refrigeration though! Shouldn't someone smell good no matter what? Why not? I love that...to know someone takes care of themselves is always attractive. Giggity gig. Stay away from the one on Anchorman though. The one made with real leopard or tiger so you KNOW it has to be good. I don't know I'm getting my movies mixed up. No suprise there. Point is, heck ya wear it everyday...!!!! Yum.
    --------------------------------------
    oh yeah..to your post...You DO know that only attention whores wear perfume daily. sheesh. NOT :-)
    Last edited by sameasalways; 27th December 2007 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Always remember you are unique; just like everyone else.

whats the big deal? i for one like smelling good so yeah i do. why would it matter if your metro or not? if you want to use it daily, do so, screw what people think.

just be yourself - whatever is comfortable for you

people talks, dogs barks, so what?
    Vetiver The Great!!!

If you love to smell good, whack it on! Makes difference what your sexuality is. Smelling good is a service to man(and woman)kind in general.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

No cologne and no masturbation.

Basically, just as much repression as possible.
    Last edited by pluran; 27th December 2007 at 02:56 PM.

Talking Re: Should non-metrosexual wear cologne daily?

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    From the man who coined the term, Meet the metrosexual by Mark Simpson.

"The typical metrosexual is a young man with money to spend, living in or within easy reach of a metropolis -- because that's where all the best shops, clubs, gyms and hairdressers are. He might be officially gay, straight or bisexual, but this is utterly immaterial because he has clearly taken himself as his own love object and pleasure as his sexual preference." --Mark Simpson

Comme des Garcons Garage and Profumum Fumidus. About as far from fresh and clean as I have worn.
    Thanks, well there you have it folks. Enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    No cologne and no masturbation.

Basically, just as much repression as possible.
    Well, I could probably forego the cologne... LMAO
    Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    If you are a straight non-metrosexual male, you should never wear cologne, ever. If you don't smell like fresh (or stale) sweat, you are not a real man.
    Did I miss something here?? Ah, never say never LOL
    Last edited by silverbullet; 27th December 2007 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER