Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Monk by Michael Storer

Monk has been re-made into a "forte" eau de parfum instead of its original EDT. It's now got more guts.. darker, more chocolatey and more incensey. If you like the gothic direction, give it a try.
    MICHAEL STORER fine niche perfumery for the individualist
    www.michaelstorer.com

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Monk by Michael Storer

I have wanted to try Monk for quite a while now. This EdP version is pushing me a little more to try it out now. I'll always be a 'goth' at heart.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I am a big fan of the original monk which I think was an inspired and original composition. I bought a bottle. I am keen to try the EDP. I think a sample pack is in order .
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 1st November 2007 at 09:15 PM.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Check out the website...there are some (nekkid) surprises! Especially check out Monk. Note that the prices reflect the stronger juice...I think they are more than twice what I remember them being!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mastorer View Post
    Monk has been re-made into a "forte" eau de parfum instead of its original EDT. It's now got more guts.. darker, more chocolatey and more incensey. If you like the gothic direction, give it a try.

....rats. Us Luddites on dialup can't get it.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Prices are twice and quantities are just over half. They are now at a realistic price point to be taken seriously and I don't have a problem with that. The EDP strength and great looking bottles means the value remains good enough. I do think Mike is a talented perfumer.

I quake somewhat at the thought of Il Gardino being stronger than it was before!!!. This was some potent and PERSISTENT juice in its EDT form.

I also find it a bit annoying that I have to order six samples when I only really want one and I really do not want three of them (the womens ones).
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 1st November 2007 at 10:06 PM.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

reviews

I want to try Monk but, having tried Djin (NOT my cup of tea), I'm now a little gun shy.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    I want to try Monk but, having tried Djin (NOT my cup of tea), I'm now a little gun shy.
    It is quite different and in my opinion (and many others if I recall) much superior. That was the old formulations though, I haven't yet tried the new ones.

reviews

Could someone comment on the comparison and/or similarity between Monk and Avignon, and Cardinal (my fav of this type)?

Thanks,

Joe

Absolutely no comparison...in my opinion. Cardinal and Avignon are superior compositions artistically blended. Monk, on the other hand reminds me of an old Avon product for men that a friend used to wear ((bathed in). The old version of Monk smelled cheap and discordant, I can't comment on the new version because I haven't smelled it yet. Who knows, the new version might smell great. Cardinal and Avignon are based on frankincense while Monk seems to be based on myrrh notes.
    --------------------------------------
    Joe, if you want an incense frag that is truly fantastic, check out Olivier Durbano's Black Tourmaline. Here is a review by a trusted perfume reviewer...

http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot...ano-black.html
    Last edited by paintrman; 2nd November 2007 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

if you like your incense eclipsed by rubber and leather, that is! (durbano) it's more smokey than incensey

Rather than compare Monk to Avignon or Cardinal I'd compare it to Messe de Minuit or C&S Frankincense and Myrrh--resin rather than smoke. Yummy and better price.

I tried the original formula and thought it had potential. I talked with Michael Storer personally on the phone and complained about it's mild strength and short lived longevity. He got really upset with me and said I didn't know anything about perfumes. I guess others complained too or he wouldn't have had to come out with an EDP version. I didn't care for his immature reaction to my comments about his creation, but I'll still give his EDP version a try because of the original's potential.

Michael, Please don't personalize my comments. I'm still open to giving Monk EDP a chance. I know you're out there and will probably be reading my comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    Absolutely no comparison...in my opinion. Cardinal and Avignon are superior compositions artistically blended. Monk, on the other hand reminds me of an old Avon product for men that a friend used to wear ((bathed in). The old version of Monk smelled cheap and discordant, I can't comment on the new version because I haven't smelled it yet. Who knows, the new version might smell great. Cardinal and Avignon are based on frankincense while Monk seems to be based on myrrh notes.
    Joe, if you want an incense frag that is truly fantastic, check out Olivier Durbano's Black Tourmaline. Here is a review by a trusted perfume reviewer...

http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot...ano-black.html
    Last edited by thebeck; 2nd November 2007 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I tried the original formula and thought it had potential. I talked with Michael Storer personally on the phone and complained about it's mild strength and short lived longevity.
    You should try the new EDP formulation. I just got it and it is deeper and darker than the EDT. The new EDP is less sweet and more incense/chocolate/resin. The EDP opens with a more pronounced civet note that soon blends down into a sophisticated gourmand incense.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Il Giardino. Can anyone comment on this?

The old EDT version had a strong green accord with a powerful blackcurrant note. It was fundamentally a pretty blend but I found overwhelming and its persistence was staggering.

Mike assures me that the reformulation is much improved and I look forward to trying that along with the monk edp.

I am very curious to try the new monk, I very much liked the old one (and bought a bottle) but had clear ideas of what I would have liked different, I wonder if they match at all with the changes Mr. Storer has made?

Mike, care to comment in detail on the changes in the reformulation (specific notes etc) in gardino, djin and monk?
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 21st November 2007 at 05:42 PM.

reviews

This thread has amazed me. When Mr Storer was sending free samples out to absolutely anybody on Basenotes and other forums for free, everybody was saying how wonderful they were. Now on here Mr Storer is getting critisised. Has the Basenotes membership got such a short memory about being so eager to try his scents for free and praise him and now when somebody asks for advice, Mr Storer's scents get a kind of thumbs down reaction.

And no, I have no connection with Mr Storer and no, I never got to try his scents for free because I didn't think it was fair on him having to pay postage to the UK.

Barry

Monk and Il Giardino were both competent scents. I enjoyed the latter a tad more, but
    perceived its as quite strong to begin with. Monk could benefit from a "fortification" though.
    Also Mr. Storer was very generous and courteous in our correspondence earlier - thank you!

Would be nice to hear some feedback on the new formulations.

Regards,

/mmm

I liked them all pretty much, I was happy with the formulations and thrilled with the price point. I'll be interested to smell the new ones.

I would like to clear up the fact that I never cared for any of these...even from the beginning! Yes, Mike sent me samples for free but that doesn't mean I have to like them. And, now that they are priced as high or higher than many "niche" fragrances (if you have just a few scents out isn't that more like a hobby than a niche house? Andy Tauer excluded for being a genius). Guys, check the prices! Yikes. I haven't smelled the improved versions but they would have to be really improved before I could change my mind. I guess I am just picky.
    Tom, did you catch the prices though? Stephanie is $85 and Monk is $82. Personally, I am waiting for the new Tauer Incense Extreme.
    Last edited by paintrman; 21st November 2007 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Honestly implying the Storer scent are over-priced is uncalled for. Yes most of us are used to getting fragrances at dramatic discounts but out in the real world Aqua di Gio is selling for $79 in the stores and a giftset of Azzaro PH is going for $85.

Yes, I saw (and was a little disappointed by) the prices. But I think I'll reserve judgment until I whiff them.

Andy is the exception that proves the rule- and I can't wait to try his take on incense.

Just for clarification's sake, I pointed out that they are more expensive compared to their recent prices...you said they are over-priced (implying not a good value). I can't say they are over-priced because I haven't tried the more expensive versions. They might be worth every penny! Who knows?
    Last edited by paintrman; 21st November 2007 at 10:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I tried the original formula and thought it had potential. I talked with Michael Storer personally on the phone and complained about it's mild strength and short lived longevity. He got really upset with me and said I didn't know anything about perfumes. I guess others complained too or he wouldn't have had to come out with an EDP version. I didn't care for his immature reaction to my comments about his creation, but I'll still give his EDP version a try because of the original's potential.

Michael, Please don't personalize my comments. I'm still open to giving Monk EDP a chance. I know you're out there and will probably be reading my comments.
    I'm out here if I've taken my antidepressant.... LOL..

Admittedly I haven't the greatest memory, but honestly I have zero recollection of any such a conversation by phone. Especially, I can't imagine I would ever be naive enough to tell anyone who frequents and writes on Base Notes that they "don't know anything about perfumes." After all, I try to listen to you guys. I'm sure most of you have wardrobes much bigger than mine.

A number of men told me they wanted a Monk "extreme" that had more (bigger?) balls. Oddly, that was the way I intended it in the first place, but I let myself be ill advised. The new EDP version smells anything but "Avon." (To whomever jabbed me THAT knee in the nuts).
    MICHAEL STORER fine niche perfumery for the individualist
    www.michaelstorer.com