Code of Conduct

Default Help me organize my collection?

*Ahem*

Alright, so here is the story

Even though this is my first post on Basenotes, I have been viewing the site for awhile, reading reviews, seeing what's good, what's not good, etc. I'm currently 16 years old and am a Junior in High School. I have been wearing cologne since I was a freshman. Until now I have been wearing whatever I felt like, but it has come to a point where I would like to organize my wardrobe into colognes that are more suited for daytime wear and colognes suited for nighttime wear.

Daytime colognes would be worn when I'm going to school, to the store, or just sitting around the house. Keep in mind that I'd be in close quarters with people during most of these times so I want something that it is kind of hard to over spray and something inoffensive. Something that will smell pleasant, not necessary impress anyone.

Nighttime colognes would be worn on special occasions, something I would wear if I were to go somewhere with my friends or go to a party. Something that will get me noticed. Something that is memorable and perhaps too "special" for everyday use.

If it means anything, my spray routine consists of:

- Spray once in the air and walk through it (This is just to make sure that the sprayer is loaded)
    - Spray ONCE on the center of my chest. No more, no less.
    - If the scent is a little weaker, then I'll give is a spray on my undershirt too.

Right now my wardrobe consists of:
    -Acqua Di Gio (Yeah, I know...)
    -Kenneth Cole Reaction
    -Kenneth Cole Black
    -RL Romance Silver
    -Davidoff Echo
    -VS Very Sexy 1
    -JPG Le Male
    -Escada Magnetism
    -Liz Claiborne Curve (Been collecting dust for awhile...)

Which ones would be best suited for "Day-Time" as I previously defined, and which ones would be better for "Nighttime"? I think I have an idea where I'm going, but the reason I'm posting this is because the people here are very knowledgeable, more so than me. Thanks in advance for all your help.

P.S. Are there any scents you guys could recommend to me that are appropriate for my age group and won't kill the wallet? Right now I'm looking into Dolce & Gabbana PH and L'eau D'Issey.

Default Re: Help me organize my collection?

I am not familiar with many of the scents on your list, but I usually follow this rule: Heavier scents for evenings/colder weather; Lighter/crisper scents for days/warmer weather.

Experiment. You will notice which ones you like more in the days and others you like to wear in the evenings. Le Male, for example, would go very nicely in the evening, but might just be a bit too much for a hot sunny day.

As far as some recommendations, the two you mentioned are really nice. Classics, actually. You also might want to check out Versace Dreamer, Gucci Envy, and Bulgari pour Homme. These are somewhat similar to those you mentioned. Again, experiment and see what you like.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Nicolas V; 2nd November 2007 at 02:17 AM.
    You are not your perfume.

Okay. Going in order from top to bottom of your list we have:
    -Acqua Di Gio..................Day or Night
    -Kenneth Cole Reaction....Day or Night
    -Kenneth Cole Black.........Night
    -RL Romance Silver..........Day or Night
    -Davidoff Echo..................Day or Night
    -VS Very Sexy 1..............Day
    -JPG Le Male...................Day
    -Escada Magnetism..........Night
    -Liz Claiborne Curve..........Day

There is nothing wrong with owning AdG although it is very common. That is a scent that just never smells bad. No one I know doesn't like it. I have a friend who wears it out at night and I always notice it and like it. Keep it and use it because people like it and it is not offensive in any way so I feel like it is a perfect match for what you wanted you scents to do.

Magnetism is one of my favorties from your list. I have another friend who wears this one out almost exclusively at night. It is great for grabbing attention and I think you should try it out for evenings and see what kind of reactions you get.

I think that you should look into something a little more unique (sometimes means more expensive) so that people will recognize that it is you they smell. You can smell good in your own way. I really like D&G pour Homme but so many people own it. I almost expect to see scents like that in my friends' closets. I can't tell you what girls would rather smell (good smells they can identify versus good smells they never smelled before). Some people like to be able to recognize a scent so it gets tricky when offering suggestions so I would say that you should really just wear whatever the hell you want and not care what people think. You'll always smell good with those scents you have.

I know you don't want to be obtrusively obvious while wearing a scent but you are not wearing much and I think you are overestimating the power of some of your scents. I am conservative and I wear 4 sprays. You wear 2-3. I would add a spray to the neck or the wrists when you are out at night at your special events. That'll deffinately help longevity and sillage. Hopefully it'll turn some heads.

Hope this helps.

Basenotes Institution

I think Envyus gave you great advice - I'd only add that I think JPG Le Male is more of a 'night' scent IMO.

If you want to add a new day and night scent to your wardrobe, that fits you and your budget I'd suggest:

Happy for Men by Clinique (Day)
    Obsession Night for Men (Night, duh...)

Good luck and welcome to Basenotes abc123. Stick around and your collection will ultimately transform itself in a year - and you'll be the best smelling 17 year old for miles.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Thanks for the help guys, I really mean it.

Nicolas V - lol I knew heavier scents for night and lighter scents for day, but thanks for the recommendation of Gucci Envy. I'll check that out today.

EnvYuS - Thanks for the help. I disagree on the Le Male though, I think that's more of a night scent.

mikeperez23 - Thanks for reccomending Happy by Clinique, but I've alredy tried that. It smells great, but lasts for about an hour on me. Are you sure Obsession is right for my age group? I always thought that was for 30-40 yr olds.

Again, thanks for the help. I'm going to the mall today to look for D&G PH, L'Eau D'Issey, and Gucci Envy, and whatever else catches my eye. I'm bringing a female along as well. Wish me luck
    Last edited by ABC123; 3rd November 2007 at 04:20 PM.