Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Today I bought (November 2007)

Bois d'Orage, also called French Lover, although the SA at Barney's didn't know that. Can't blame her; it wasn't her counter...

Pierre Bourdon did a nice job on this one. I also smelled Parfum de Thérèse and Iris Poudre. The Iris and Thérèse were beautiful, but I opted for butch this time... I like the French name better than the English: Bois d'Orage means "Stormy Woods," as in a forest after a rainstorm.

Angelica, Cedar, Vetiver, Iris, Pimento, Galbanum, Patchouli, Incense, Musk.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 1st November 2007 at 09:49 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Default Re: Today I bought (November 2007)

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Bois d'Orage, also called French Lover,
    I was lucky enough to get a sample of French Lover from a fellow basenoter and i absolutely loved it. This is the only Frederic Malle that i have tried so far.

It did faintly remind me of Terre D'hermes but if French Lover was not so prohibitively expensive i would buy it as well.

Congrats on this beautiful purchase that you made.

gupts

Well, what do you know. I, too, purchased French Lover. I requested a sample ages ago, and they were only able to provide me with a scented card. Earlier this week, Tiphane at FM followed up with a full sample of FL. I purchased it immediately after trying the sample.

I also received a bottle of Mark Birley (Thanks, IV). It is Pierre Bourdon day at my house
    Last edited by Circa1905; 1st November 2007 at 10:04 PM.

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Today I bought (November 2007)

Haven't gotten around to trying out french lover unfortunately, but I did get around to sampling Chergui! Long story short I'm now waiting for my bell jar to arrive from a fellow basenoter!

Also, after viewing this forum for so long and hearing about Black Aoud & Rose 31 I finally got around to ordering samples... Waiting anxiously to test out both of these.

Awaiting the arrival of both Spiritueuse Double Vanille and Heritage EdP by Guerlain.

My hit list is as follows
    1. Santal de Mysore
    2. Chene
    3. Santal Noble
    4. Avignon
    5. Fluer d'Oranger (hope this doesn't sell out by then...)
    Last edited by teger; 3rd November 2007 at 02:58 AM.

Smile Re: Today I bought (November 2007)

8ml. decant's Eau des lles, Aqua di Cuba, L'Homme de Coeur. 100ML bottle Opoponax SMN. 100ML Bois d' Ombrie.

I was also at Barneys (shouldn't have been), anyway bought 100ml of Musc Ravegur, got bunch of L' Artisan samples, samples of Lutens Chen (Love it) and Miel De Bois. I also got to smell French Lover, which I like a lot.

Although I am on a strict "no buy", Versus Uomo, Hugo DarkBlue, Black Walnut and Monk appeared via the USPS from a swap. Versus is simply amazing. Ohhh, but I did purchase the sample set from the Goth Rosary. At $5, it was easy to justify.
    Last edited by bront82; 2nd November 2007 at 03:49 AM.
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Creed Vetiver (1948)

I just got my bottle today and man I can't wait to review it, but I want to live with it for a while first.

New York by Parfums de Nicolai

Basenotes Institution

Hermessence Brin de Réglisse by Hermes
    Noir Epices by Frederic Malle

I went a little crazy...
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I bought French Lover this summer...and it´s wonderful, but I thought a lot of basenoters hate the name and fragrance...I don´t why, but on the other side they love Terre d´Hermés??? wiered!!!

My Kiton Men aftershave came in today. It is a wonderful addition in the lineup! It is great to slap in on at night when you don't want to be as strong or you can even layer it for an added bonus. Great Fragrance!

Serge Luten's Chene : D!!!!!!

Been waiting a long time for a bottle of this..

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Picked up a bottle of Eau d'Hermès at a small specialty shop. Incredible, and hard to describe, beyond warm and enveloping.

Here's a list of notes for reference:

Bergamot, petitgrain, lemon tree, lavender, sage, coriander, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, jasmine, geranium, vanilla, tonka bean, labdanum, and leathery notes of cedar, moss, birch and caraway.

Can you imagine that?
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Two days ago I bought Kiton Men. Today I got Dunhill for Men (1934).
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Les Parfums de Rosine is now available in Montreal, at a store called Rosenstein.
    I celebrated the occasion by purchasing the latest offering of Rosine: Rose Kashmirie.

Top notes include:
    Red strands of saffron from Kashmiria
    Essence of Bulgarian Rose
    Spicy seeds of coriander
    Green peel of Sicilian bergamot

Heart notes are:
    Red peonies from China
    Damascene Rose absolute
    Resin from myrrh or Bdellium from India

Base notes unfold with:

Woodsy oil from Nagar Motha
    Black vanilla pods
    Roots of Indian vetiver or Khus
    Sacred sandalwood
    Benzoin tears
    Ambrette seeds that smell of musk
    Ambergris

Got Caron Le 3me Homme from a swap and purchased another bottle of Chanel Egoiste.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

1. Jacomo Rouge 100 ml
    2. Jaguar Performance 40 ml
    3. Romeo Gigli Profumi 50 ml

They should be here today or early next week.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Picked up a bottle of Eau d'Hermès at a small specialty shop. Incredible, and hard to describe, beyond warm and enveloping.

Here's a list of notes for reference:

Bergamot, petitgrain, lemon tree, lavender, sage, coriander, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, jasmine, geranium, vanilla, tonka bean, labdanum, and leathery notes of cedar, moss, birch and caraway.

Can you imagine that?
    I did not know that EdH has cinnamon in it? Maybe that's why I loved it so. I think (besides Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford) that EdH could easily be my holy grail leather scent after rentboy sampled me a couple months ago. Why don't I own this?? Oh yeah - because I keep buying other scents...
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Serge Lutens' Datura Noir...
    The projection is amazing with this.. Think I might have oversprayed a tad bit...
    Getting whiffs of it every few minutes... Sometimes its floral, sometimes its gourmand sweetness... Its truly an amazing scent..!
    In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds it's morning, and is refreshed. -Kahlil Gibran

Current Favourites: Mandarine by Il Profvmo, Sculpture Homme by Nikos

Off-Scenter

Like myaccolades, I picked up Chene. I also replaced my bottles of MKK, Ambre Sultan, and Parfum d'Habit.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I picked up my 250 ml. bottle of Creed Cyprès Musc today. Haven't decanted it into a spray bottle yet, but I'm impatient to spray some on!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Divine L'Inspiratrice. Surprisingly unisex, I like it alot. Patchouli and rose, ylang, bergamot, peony, white musk, vanilla and tonka bean, nothing cloying here, just pure sensuality

Creative Scentualization Perfect Veil - this is supposed to be unisex, but I don't like it. A skin frag that brings out your own body scent. I find it too sweet and artificial smelling, does this mean I'm cotton candy?

Tiffany for men - found a boxed mini on ebay, can't wait to see how good this is.

Royal Secret for Men. After all the accolades, I couldn't resist. Still in the mail.

Joe Malone 154 - Modern herbal, not sure yet I will like this.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 4th November 2007 at 09:31 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

At the very real risk of being karate-chopped to the throat by the Mrs, I have just ordered full bottles of:

Colonia Intensa - Acqua di Parma
    Love Potion No.9 for Him - Penhaligon's

... and samples of:

Carthusia Uomo (have been longing to try this)
    Eau d'Elide (Diptique) (wish to re-unite with, and reconsider)
    Tam Dao (Diptique) (has been on my wishlist for the longest time)
    Bandit (Robert Piguet) (for the "very patient" Mrs) and
    Heliotrope (Crown Perfumery) (as above).

Its a sickness. Truly.

Today I got Bvlgari Black along with L'Altra Follia di Aquarama. Paid an astonishingly low price for the both!

Gucci Pour Homme via the sales forum.

Off-Scenter

L'Anarchiste, plus (for my wife) Diorissimo & Hiris. All at the Perfumebay sale.

Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    SL MKK
    LV Yerbamate from swap.
    Montale Greyland from swap
    Perry Ellis 360 white for men
    Kiehls musk oil

Quote Originally Posted by Apis View Post
    Les Parfums de Rosine is now available in Montreal, at a store called Rosenstein.
    I celebrated the occasion by purchasing the latest offering of Rosine: Rose Kashmirie.
    I tested this one yesterday and could still smell it this morning. A must-have, might become my favourite Rosine...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Barneys - Route du The Homme
    Musgo Real - Orange Amber
    CDG 2 Man

Vintage Guerlain Derby splash EdT 100 ml in Eagle bottle.

The new Cerutti Pour Homme and yes,a bottle of kouros.

Today i ordered a bottle of SL's Rousse.

Here i go again...

A veritable rainbow of Cuba colors: Red, Orange, (had Gold), Green, Blue, Brown, Black, Grey.....at $4 each, I figured why not?
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

I found 9 7.5ml (.25 oz) bottles of Chanel - Egoiste Cologne Concentree at a local frag store. The were 7$ a piece. I don't care for the EdT that much, but this stuff goes to the awesome basenotes quick and stays there. Luv it.

Quote Originally Posted by sniff View Post
    The new Cerutti Pour Homme and yes,a bottle of kouros.
    Will you share your experiences with us? Its a quality stuff no question, yet I couldn't get into it.

Creed Acier Aluminium , yippie i gfound a bottle at last and at a reasonable price too !

i,m crazy pay 130 dollars for RED FOR MEN Giorgio Beverly Hills Eau de Toilette NIB 1.7 oz. but is the best scent for me

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    Today i ordered a bottle of SL's Rousse.

Here i go again...
    Congrat's - love it, want it, even though I don't need it.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Resistance was futile! Today I bought (courtesy of the fabulous Beautyhabit special)

Ambre Sultan EDP 50ml - Serge Lutens
    Arabie EDP 50ml - Serge Lutens
    Fresco di Vetiver 50ml - i Profumi di Firenze
    Terre de Bois EDT 100ml - Miller Harris
    Sample pack

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Was in a little shop and saw Aigner Private Number. Got it home and discovered it was the women's version. What the heck, it's pretty nice. It was also pretty cheap. Reminds me a little of the women's version of Safari.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Blog Entries

I'm crazy. Awhile ago I sold my back-up bottle of Gaultier2. I have maybe a fifth of a small bottle left & I think that would last me awhile. But not having a back-up supply got to me, so I bought some more on ebay . I actually got a pretty decent deal on a dual-bottle set...so i think I'm gonna sell the second bottle & just keep one. If anyone is interested in the spare bottle, feel free to PM me . I don't want to officially put it on my sale list until I actually have it in my grubby little paws.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

A .25 oz. bottle of Hermes Eau des Merveilles parfum. Yes, it is good.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    A .25 oz. bottle of Hermes Eau des Merveilles parfum. Yes, it is good.
    Perhaps Jean Claude Ellena's best scent IMO. Right up there with Ambre Narguile and the Jardins. Enjoy!

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I just bought 3.4 oz of Le Labo Rose 31.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Last week - Le Labo Patchouli 24, La Sirenuse Bois d'Ombrie

This week - given CDG Palisander by a lovely friend, and bought mini-bottles of the Different Company's Rose Poivree, Bois d'Iris and Osmanthus in the Beauty Habit sale, Cumming in another sale (HQhair) and finally Guerlain's Bois d'Armenie.

All of these have been on my list for a year or so. My last splurge of the year.Most of em are funded by selling off bottles I no longer use. I've become a skinflint.

I'm also debating cheap tester bottles of Paul Smith Story and Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin. The latter I've never even sniffed, but seeing as I'm on a Annick Menardo bender right now, I can't go wrong, can I?

this month i was very generous (or very crazy, don't know exactly...) with myself, only Guerlain perfumes: Vetiver frozen, Habit Rouge EdC and EdT, AA Mentafollia and Anisia Bella, Cologne Impériale and l'Instant

Quote Originally Posted by germanomio View Post
    this month i was very generous (or very crazy, don't know exactly...) with myself, only Guerlain perfumes: Vetiver frozen, Habit Rouge EdC and EdT, AA Mentafollia and Anisia Bella, Cologne Impériale and l'Instant
    Wow, THAT sounds nice! I just received my vintage Derby 100 EdT sealed, perfect condition, today. 59€. I can't believe I paid 179$ for the same bottle half a year ago. I really need to learn to control my impulses soon...!

I just bought two Malle samples: Musc Ravageur and Noir Epices, which I've been wanting to experience for a long time.

Balenciaga - Le Dix, EdT. Wow, lovely, woody violets. Why is this gem never mentioned as appropriate for the male of the species?

Banned

Just got a partial jar of Borneo 1834 , another serge lutens :wave:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Wow, THAT sounds nice! I just received my vintage Derby 100 EdT sealed, perfect condition, today. 59€. I can't believe I paid 179$ for the same bottle half a year ago. I really need to learn to control my impulses soon...!
    please where have you found your vintage Derby ?

Just bought a bottle of the rather wonderful Biehl Parfumkunstwerke Mark Buxton MB03

Top: none
    Heart: roman camomille, red pepper, elemi
    Base: cistus, cashmere wood, styrax, amber, incense, sandalwood, patchouli

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Tom Ford Black Orchid EdT (Voile de Fleurs)
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa - an early Christmas present to myself.

Bois du Portugal by Creed. This is such a classic scent, one that I'll be wearing for a long time. I just wonder why it took me so long to connect with it. I don't recall ever receiving samples of it so that may be why. Will replenish this one when it's gone.
    Last edited by jeffrey; 9th November 2007 at 03:25 AM.
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Jacques Bogart

WITNESS

This was a 'blind' buy based on reviews and posts lauding it. :brolly:
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Montale Vanille Absolu, Chypre Vanille, Amandes Oriental, and Aromatic Lime.

YSL Rive Gauche ph. Got it on a blind buy after hearing many good things on these boards. Cant wait to give it a try, I'm going to a party on Sunday so I'll give it a maiden voyage then. Sprayed some on my wrist, and I've been impressed so far. Definitely a lot of potential. The opening was just fantastic.

ofresia by diptyque & duel by annick goutal, both nice for the incoming summer...
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors