Code of Conduct

Default Comme des Garcons - To begin...

Seeing the top 5 CdG thread totally convinced me... I've been wanting to delve into the CdG world of fragrances for a while now... So I've decided to head out to the city tonight and hopefully sample a few...
    I've always liked fragrances with citrus, melon and fresh notes, and have also begun to really appreciate floral notes.. I also love aromatic, oriental fragrances for night wear... Also if the musk and incense notes are too strong I tend to stay away from them..

Which one from the CdG line can you recommend...??
    In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds it's morning, and is refreshed. -Kahlil Gibran

Current Favourites: Mandarine by Il Profvmo, Sculpture Homme by Nikos

Default Re: Comme des Garcons - To begin...

Play, one of their newest additions, is certainly one of their 'freshest' scents. However, one could go so far as to say that both Odeur 53 and Odeur 71 have their fresh sides, as well as Comme de Garcons 3. In these parts, the Incense Series and the Red Series are very popular. Among those lines, Avingnon, Kyoto, Sequoia and Palisander are standouts. Comme des Garcons 2 Man is also extremely popular, although not a personal favorite of mine. White is excellent.
    Some of the later series are a little more out there, Synthetic offered us Tar, which is a personal favorite, along with some other more experimental scents like Soda and Garage. Rhubarb is a gorgeous fresh, green scent form the Sherbet Series. A few offering in the Sweet line are more on the Oriental side, but as the title suggests, they are often a little too sugary for many.
    CdG is an amazing company and was my first true love when I became a fragrance fiend. Happy Smelling, you won't be disappointed!
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Wink Re: Comme des Garcons - To begin...

Quote Originally Posted by chimera45 View Post
    Seeing the top 5 CdG thread totally convinced me... I've been wanting to delve into the CdG world of fragrances for a while now... So I've decided to head out to the city tonight and hopefully sample a few...
    I've always liked fragrances with citrus, melon and fresh notes, and have also begun to really appreciate floral notes.. I also love aromatic, oriental fragrances for night wear... Also if the musk and incense notes are too strong I tend to stay away from them..

Which one from the CdG line can you recommend...??
    Well, seem to me that you really like natural perfumes.
    Be aware that most of Comme des Garçons, apart to be highly unusual are very synthetic mostly all).
    But highly synthetic that appears very natural ( I don't know how to explain it, you'll see).

In the cathegory fresh go for Soda (sybthetic series):
    The lime accord is stunnig and blends supperb with a slightly hint of lily of the valley and vinil. The longevity is amazing to be a citrus fragance.
    Rhubarb is a monster fruity one, the top notes are unveliable, and nothing like this around the market, pity longvity is just ok, but worth a try.
    Play is llike the name,playful, clean, and plain, the most minimal of all the range, smell like orange tang with strong real mediterranean herbs, and a marine aura, formidable!.

In the floral cathegory I'd recommend Lily (leaves series):
    Lily and white flowers surround of a really dewy note that makes it zesty sometimes and fruity. Gorgeous this one...
    Also you may try #3, a blend of angelica (anise like), magnolia, black currant and dry woods. Very particular and sweet.
    Guerilla 2 is a gorgeous one that has notes of ginger, starwerry, tuberosa and curcuma root.

From the aromatic:
    Try Harissa (series red), its higly wearable, it's very spicy, intoxicating like a moroccan spicy market. Citric and fruty too.
    Guerilla 1 has a distinctive aroma of clove with pear and champaca flower (magnolia like). the clove is very prominent.

Incense: Is my leat favourite, can't get the idea of smell like churchs of funeral homes, but, everyone has different tastes!. I'd separate this two that are more nice incense like:
    I recommend Kyoto (amazing), it has resembles for me of Tumulte by Lacroix.
    Jailsarmer it could be the best of the incense range for me, it has a natural subtle, aura of warm clean incense with floral and dry herbs notes.

Also you have to try the odeur 71 and 53.
    They bring back of memories of smell o ozone after storms, and memories of I know that smell but I can't figure out what is it.
    Tar form the synthetic series is a must try one too. Spicyness of real coal tar with some plastic, resinuous and woody accords. It seemed to me impossible to wear when first reviewed, but now is my top one in winter and when i'm playing out!.

Hope that helps
    chao
    Luis
    Last edited by madridbatabidd; 2nd November 2007 at 09:16 AM.
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

Basenotes Institution

Try (in this order):

All five of the Incense Series: Avignon (my fav'), Kyoto, Zagorsk, Ouzarzate and Jaisalmer. These are, IMO, the best of the CdG scents.

Once you've tried these five, then try:

Sequoia
    2 Man
    Calamus
    White
    Sherbert: Peppermint

Afterwards try:

Harissa
    Palisander
    CdG original (it's called Comme des Garcons)
    Play
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I'm glad to see you taking the plunge with Comme des Garçons-- one of my favorite houses. You might be shocked however when you get your hands on your first few to try. I was really confused. I tried Harissa, Palisander, and Zagorsk at first and was just perplexed. They didn't even smell like colognes to me. Rather they smelled like places I had been. Odeur 53 smelled like I had spent all day in an industrial freezer and had just emerged from it.

Take your time and don't give up if you don't like some of these scents at first. It took me a while before it all clicked. Have fun!

Talking Re: Comme des Garcons - To begin...

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I'm glad to see you taking the plunge with Comme des Garçons-- one of my favorite houses. You might be shocked however when you get your hands on your first few to try. I was really confused. I tried Harissa, Palisander, and Zagorsk at first and was just perplexed. They didn't even smell like colognes to me. Rather they smelled like places I had been. Odeur 53 smelled like I had spent all day in an industrial freezer and had just emerged from it.

Take your time and don't give up if you don't like some of these scents at first. It took me a while before it all clicked. Have fun!
    Completely agree with him.
    The complexity of this superb comany is based on the recreation of scenarios basicly.
    Noone is going to say: -Oh, you smell like this flower, or this fruit-.
    The simple sniff of some of this perfumes is a self trasporting of different places and scenes. Use your imagination and give them a big try, specially the synthetic ones and you won't be disspoainted.
    Defini. is one of my favourite fragance company, the number one on the list and a Must have if you want to smell different of the crowd.

i think play and cdg 3 would suit you, seeing as you're not a fan of the incense notes.

that said, when it comes to kyoto... i could just stay home and smell that on myself for hours. i will marry a girl who wears this perfume, i'll tell you right now.

Hey guys... Thanks for the recommendations...!
    I just got back from the city, with heavy disappointment..
    Went to this only store that stocks CdG, and turns out they only had a few for me to actually sample...

The few that I tried that really intrigued me were:
    Red Series Carnation - Beautiful; there's beautiful carnation and rose notes and this is on the top of my list so far...
    Odeur 53 - A very neutral scent, don't know what to make of it yet...

The Incense series - Although I said I didn't like incense notes, I decided to give it a try, since it seems to be quite a favourite among BNers.. Turns out I really can't take it, Kyoto or Avignon, I think it just wasn't for me..
    They only had The Red and Incense series, as I was looking to try so many more recommended by you guys...

Then there was the CdG 2 and CdG2Man, which didn't really make an impact on me...

All in all I definitely wouldn't make a conclusion on Comme des Garcons, and I think I'll go back and get the Carnation, which I really like... I do hope to sample it a bit more and try to understand what seems to be a complex fragrance line, which is a fresh change..
    I did have a consolation of sampling a few Serge Lutens fragrances, and walked out with a beautiful bottle of Datura Noir, which I'm very happy with...!
    In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds it's morning, and is refreshed. -Kahlil Gibran

Wink Re: Comme des Garcons - To begin...

Quote Originally Posted by chimera45 View Post
    They only had The Red and Incense series, as I was looking to try so many more recommended by you guys...

Then there was the CdG 2 and CdG2Man, which didn't really make an impact on me...

All in all I definitely wouldn't make a conclusion on Comme des Garcons, and I think I'll go back and get the Carnation, which I really like... I do hope to sample it a bit more and try to understand what seems to be a complex fragrance line, which is a fresh change..
    I did have a consolation of sampling a few Serge Lutens fragrances, and walked out with a beautiful bottle of Datura Noir, which I'm very happy with...!
    Datura Noir is a gorgeous intoxicating scent
    Me like it.
    Well as i said above:
    Red Series: Hmm!
    Carnation is a spicy fragance calmed with the soft smell of carnation,
    Rose is little just outdated on my nose and slightly girly!.
    Palisander is more oriental, it has a rich blend of palisander wood, cedar, chilli and saffron, if you're into saffron go for it.
    You must try the Harissa, it's fiery yet citric yet fruity. A master piece. Smells very distinctive. Harissa is a hot spice from Morocco, smell like chillie or curry, but not as strong, then there's clove, aniseed, bitter orange, and tomato.
    If you are into woods give a try Sequoia, a famous precious wood with rum and a nice hint of kara-karounde (smells like spicy jasmin).yummy!.

I'd give another try to Kyoto alnd def, a good one to Jailsarmer that is like a nice travel through India for me ( I've been there 3 months).
    It's my favourite, very nostalgic. And it has that distinctive note of dry flowery like cammomile or something...
    Enjoy them!..
    Last edited by madridbatabidd; 2nd November 2007 at 03:46 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Congrats on the Datura Noir. I have never smelled it. I remember scentemental picking it as his top favorite SL scent in that thread many months ago...and I took a mental note of that. [[got to smell that one]]

Red Series - the Carnation is nice. However, I have found many slightly better carnation scents IMO. One that comes to mind instantly is Malmaison by Floris. Malmaison will kick Carnation Red Series in the nuts and steal his lunch money any day. Please try this (or other carnation recommended scents) before you decide to buy Carnation Red Series.

Having said that, the Red Series is great. Sequoia (which I own) and Palisander and Harissa (which I plan to own soon) are quite wonderful.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 3rd November 2007 at 04:09 AM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Thanks guys... Yeah I'll definitely give Incense series a few more sniffs.. And of course the Red Series...

As with Malmaison, I'm not sure how readily available it is here, but I'll try and find it..

going to buy me some CdG 2 Man and Avignon this week coming, and possibly some Duel... just need to test a little more. also, i sent you a pm chimera! check yo' mail box.