Code of Conduct

Default Applying fragrance under clothes?

Alright, so I'm pretty new round these parts. Help me out. I read these suggestion to put fragrances on pulse points throughout the body. But how is that effective during fall/winter when your wearing long sleeved stuff. My inner elbow, behind my knee's ect... all are covered with clothing.
    I don't get it!

Wheres the best placed to apply?

Default Re: Applying fragrance under clothes?

Well,

I do the back of my neck, chest and inside forearms, and while I may have long sleeves on, the fragrance finds its way out via the neck and shirt sleeve openings.

Some spray their clothes too. Once in awhile I do my neck/shirt collar in back one more time after I have my shirt on, if it is a fragrance that doesn't project well or last long.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

I seem to have issues with all of the 'popular' spots to apply.

Neck/Behind Ears - rises due to heat rising and no one smells it
    Wrist - doesn't last long at all for me, too much rubbing of my sleeve (long sleeves, cold here) and fragranced diminishes
    Chest- under clothes, goes nowhere, seems like a waste
    Inside Elbow - again, under clothes
    Behind Knee - again, under clothes, seems like a waist.

I refuse to apply to my clothes because I will wear the shirt 2/3 times before washing it and don't want previously sprayed fragranced to interfere w/ new fragrance choice.

What are we supposed to do! Whats the golden spot to spray?

I only spray any scent to my chest, under my shirt. Then I might lightly dab a little bit from a vial onto my pulse points on my neck. I never spray anything on exposed skin though-- it would be too strong. I guess cause I'm so hot blooded.

I will usually add a second shot to the chest along with 2 to the base of the neck and one on the undershirt. It helps increase sillage while you are covering so many of your hot zones. That is what I do.

Chest or base of neck, back of neck is optional. I wouldn't be too worried about the torso, the scent will find it's way out of the collar.

Banned

Since joining basenotes I have switched from spritzing on the neck & wrists, to now spritzing on my chest and lower neck. Of course how many spritz depends on the fragrance and how it interacts with your skin. With this "technique" I find that throughout the day the scent pops up and my nose doesn't get used to it (to where I wouldn't smell it)

Just mess around, it may take a few days, but clothing shouldn't have that big of an impact on the sillage (given that the fragrance isn't super-light) Best places are your pulse points, but everyone is different (call me Cpt. Obvious! )

I spray where the two collar bones almost meet....and the sides of my lower abdominal region....if you place your two fingers around that area, you can feel some hot spots...on the sides below the ribcage....those seem to work for me the best.

I apply one or two shots to the chest depending on the cologne:

one right on the chest and one above at the base of the neck

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I only spray any scent to my chest, under my shirt. Then I might lightly dab a little bit from a vial onto my pulse points on my neck. I never spray anything on exposed skin though-- it would be too strong. I guess cause I'm so hot blooded.
    I do the same and I am pretty cold-blooded (really, my body temp runs about a degree low). I just don't like to feel like overpowering people, especially with some of the over-the-top scents I like.

Depending upon the strength of the scent, I apply one or two shots to the chest - left of center towards the heart - and sometimes one to each wrist although, based upon the watchband thread in the Just Starting Out Forum, I am going to try moving those to the inside of the elbow or forearm.

Most of the time, I get a lot of sillage from the chest alone. As other people have commented, it doesn't seem to have a problem finding its way out.

I make sure my chest is dry to the touch before getting dressed as I have discovered that, at least on me, the development of some fragrances is arrested (e.g. the celery note in Yatagan ) if it is still wet when it comes into contact with fabric.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

The pulse points, ear lobes etc... all these advices may have been good for Marie Antoinette in Versailles without central heating and poorly insulated windows - not for men of the 21st century! Those of you who know that body hair holds fragrance particularly well, will know where to spray. Others should try it out! Forearms project well, and as we have the facilities to shower frequently, there is no reason why we shouldn't spray a little on top of our heads also. Can't beat that projection! [It works also with buzz cuts!]
    Last edited by narcus; 2nd November 2007 at 11:14 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Depending upon the strength of the scent, I apply one or two shots to the chest - left of center towards the heart - and sometimes one to each wrist although, based upon the watchband thread in the Just Starting Out Forum, I am going to try moving those to the inside of the elbow or forearm.

Most of the time, I get a lot of sillage from the chest alone. As other people have commented, it doesn't seem to have a problem finding its way out.

I make sure my chest is dry to the touch before getting dressed as I have discovered that, at least on me, the development of some fragrances is arrested (e.g. the celery note in Yatagan ) if it is still wet when it comes into contact with fabric.
    All very true. Some frags are completely messed up by putting clothes on right after spraying.