Code of Conduct

Smile Interviews: Gendarme, Mugler Cologne, Demeter Laundromat, or nothing?

Hey all, I was wondering what kind of cologne (if any) is best for a job interview? I was thinking Gendarme, Mugler Cologne, Demeter Laundromat, or nothing? Let me know what you think, thanks!

Default Re: Interviews: Gendarme, Mugler Cologne, Demeter Laundromat, or nothing?

If any Mugler..or something light...banging with the smellies is not the top priority here...well IMO anyway.....

Fragrance On,

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 2nd November 2007 at 08:11 PM.

Default Re: Interviews: Gendarme, Mugler Cologne, Demeter Laundromat, or nothing?

You MUST smell good for a job interview.
    Also your breath needs to smell good, so chew some gum before going in.

I would advise something with citrus that is not a sillage monster.

Mugler Cologne would certainly work, considering you apply it lightly.

I have done some interviewing. I highly suggest NOTHING. No matter what you chose you run the risk of someone not liking it. Get the job first, then introduce them to your great taste in frags. Breath Mints are good.

I would wear nothing, but if you had to, I'd recommend Gendarme or Hugh Parsons (blue). The others on your list aren't even comparable.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

i'd say a spritz of Mugler or nothing. Mugler smells enough like a very good soap so a small spritz of that should be perfect.

I'll second thebeck's reply. Nothing is by far the best way to go. Lots of soap, water, deodorant, toothpaste, breath mints, shampoo, clean shoes, discreet clothes, etc. With fragrance you may run into someone with genuine allergies or someone who is a fragrance-hater.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I have done some interviewing. I highly suggest NOTHING. No matter what you chose you run the risk of someone not liking it. Get the job first, then introduce them to your great taste in frags. Breath Mints are good.
    You are right on target, you never know how the interviewer responds to fragrances, some people hate them or may be allergic. If you must, use a shower gel in the morning and some shaving balm or a well scented hair grooming product.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I agree.
    I spend a lot of time interviewing people and there nothing worse than an applicant who has overdone the perfume or cologne. In fact, I distinctly remember a woman who came in reeking of Mugler. Its a pretty sharp vetiver fragrance on the top, and my colleague commented on it. Not in a positive way, though I tend to like that particular cologne.

As always, just my two cents. Wear whatever makes you feel confident, though reeking of anything always makes me feel uncomfortable.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

I like Mugler but I don't think it's as "safe" as a lot of other people do. I've received a few negative comments on it-- as it can give the sensation of "washing ones mouth out with soap." Gendarme might be a safer bet.

Regardless, it's better to just be clean and wear too little than too much.

Somebody mentioned brushing your teeth. I have to recommend this new toothbrush I just got that is AMAZING-- it makes you feel like you just came from the dentist. It's called the Oral-B Pulsar. It's a disposable toothbrush with an internal battery that causes it to vibrate when you push the button. It REALLY does a superior job of cleaning your mouth and it's only $4.99 at Walgreens. You will feel really confident after using it. Just an added suggestion.

Last edited by a529612; 3rd November 2007 at 01:43 AM.

I agree with JBL... a small amount of Mugler Cologne would be perfect

Another one for Gendarme.

nothing nothing nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I like Mugler but I don't think it's as "safe" as a lot of other people do. I've received a few negative comments on it-- as it can give the sensation of "washing ones mouth out with soap." Gendarme might be a safer bet.
    Agree wholeheartedly. Gendarme all the way. I actually think it might be the only fragrance out there that's better than nothing for an interview. Nothing but clean and subtle.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 3rd November 2007 at 04:16 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I suppose I should have made this into a poll, if I knew how to lol.

scent, like all matters of taste, is subjective. you can NEVER know how another person will react to your cologne, so in the case of an interview, wear nothing. i employ a little over a hundred staff, and even if i do enjoy someones cologne, i typically mark the fact that they wore any for an interview as a strike, as i don't think it's professional in that context. it goes against common sense.
    Last edited by chad278; 3rd November 2007 at 05:43 AM.

Very interesting! When I read the thread's title, I think PRADA would be my personal choice. When I read the posts here, and recommendations of MUGLER cologne, my idea was changed!
    I hate soapy vetyver in MUGLER! (Sorry for it's fan). I think the same thing can happen about PRADA, and some people hate its barber soapy smell!
    Now I think its better not to wear anything, or at least spray it lightly!

Quote Originally Posted by msi_21 View Post
    I think the same thing can happen about PRADA, and some people hate its barber soapy smell!
    That would be me
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Seriously? I would wear my Antaeus. I think in general the fact that everyone is trying too hard to impress during a job interview is a bad, especially when you can't be yourself. What if the interviewer detests people that don't wear cologne? Cologne is a general sign that you care about yourself and how you treat you body / look. So i think both sides arguments are logically sufficient. Really depends on the person imo

I hate the advice being given here. I hate the idea of everyone trying to be another cookie cutter applicant, Chino Pants, Shirt, Tie, Jacket, Shoes. nothing offensive, nothing personal. I'd much rather wear something (though not over do it, the interview is probably not the best time or place to <i> test </i> a fragrance... confidence inspiring. Obviously, the worst case scenario is that your interviewer doesnt like the fragrance, and holds it against you personally, and makes note of it. On the other hand, the best case scenario is someone who comments in the positive and allows you to be a little personal, I don't know what kind of job you're interviewing for but I know I could convince someone of say, my passion, if someone were to invite me to talk about fragrances... maybe it could apply. Once upon a time, about 4 years ago, I was in a much difference place and a much difference place fragrance wise, I wore Facconable, Facconable to an interview and the interviewer liked it, she commented it on it, told me actually I Don't remember, but it either reminded her of her husband or she wanted to get it for her husband. I was all too pleased to tell her what it was (even though I don't particularly like it now, and have since swapped it.) I do think it can go both ways.

You all speak of being highly groomed for the interview process but I sort of feel that fragrance is part of that process.

eau sauvage extreme apoyardao

I think a very light application of something like Trumpers Limes or a single spray of a Classic Eau de Cologne is o.k., nothing more.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Somebody mentioned brushing your teeth. I have to recommend this new toothbrush I just got that is AMAZING-- it makes you feel like you just came from the dentist. It's called the Oral-B Pulsar. It's a disposable toothbrush with an internal battery that causes it to vibrate when you push the button. It REALLY does a superior job of cleaning your mouth and it's only $4.99 at Walgreens. You will feel really confident after using it. Just an added suggestion.
    +1....I have the exact same toothbrush.....it's really good.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    +1....I have the exact same toothbrush.....it's really good.
    Yeah, but since you said you're going grunge for the week, you're not allowed to use it!

as part of my departments dress code policy, we actually mention cologne, as some people with a sensitive nose can react badly should a person working in close proximity wear it. i think it reads something like 'use of cologne and other fragrance products should be minimal and not cause discomfort to others in the workplace."

i have an experience where i was interviewing with a new assistant from the hr department, just to give her a little experience speaking to potential employees. i'm pretty sure the lady we were speaking to was wearing j'adore, i could just faintly detect it, but the girl who was assisting me started sneezing like crazy. someone else got the job.

i think cologne is great, i wear it to the office every day. i'm very aware of what's appropriate and what's not, though, and i have a few different scents i rotate almost exclusively for use at work, and i use them extremely sparingly. usually something that has little sillage and sits very close to the skin works best. if i can smell perfume or cologne on someone just from the fact they've walked into my office, i find that excessive in a professional environment. that said, i have never disliked someone for not wearing cologne, as long as they were clean.

Quote Originally Posted by zr0e View Post
    I hate the advice being given here. I hate the idea of everyone trying to be another cookie cutter applicant, Chino Pants, Shirt, Tie, Jacket, Shoes. nothing offensive, nothing personal.
    i certainly don't look for cookie cutter applicants - the nature of our work is both technical and creative, therefore we need some really special individuals to get it done. i just appreciate knowing that people have consideration for others and will work well with a team. some people don't like having to smell a lot of cologne all day - imagine if you had to work on close proximity to someone wearing your least favorite scents for eight or ten hours. i look for individuals by personality and ability, not fashion.
    Last edited by chad278; 4th November 2007 at 12:59 AM.

Talking Re: Interviews: Gendarme, Mugler Cologne, Demeter Laundromat, or nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    That would be me
    Wow, where do you work? I should be aware not to apply there!

Quote Originally Posted by msi_21 View Post
    Wow, where do you work? I should be aware not to apply there!
    Oh I'm just saying I wouldn't wear it for myself. I actually like it on a paper strip, but it does bad things on my skin. I'm sure it smells fine on you.

I don't think I'd refuse to hire someone based on scent unless they were being totally unreasonable with their volume of application.

Lightbulb Re: Interviews: Gendarme, Mugler Cologne, Demeter Laundromat, or nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Oh I'm just saying I wouldn't wear it for myself. I actually like it on a paper strip, but it does bad things on my skin. I'm sure it smells fine on you.

I don't think I'd refuse to hire someone based on scent unless they were being totally unreasonable with their volume of application.
    Thank you! I regained my self-confidence!