Code of Conduct

Smile Must -Try masculine fragrances to make up a sampler pack-suggestions please.

Hi,
    First post and asking for some help.

I have had such enjoyment out of my first sampler pack from the Perfumed Court-I got the Niche and Classic Perfumes sampler pack and one daughter had the French Legends pack.What a fantastic way to try some beautiful intriguing perfumes. Some of them are so lovely I really have to buy a full bottle...

My elder daughter's Australian boyfriend is coming over for Christmas and I would like to make him up a sampler pack of Niche and Classic masculine fragrances.

So far, from what I have read in reviews and blogs, my list includes

Guerlain's Vetiver
    Dior's Eau Sauvage
    Creed Erolfa or Silver Mountain Water
    L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer
    Bvlgari Black
    Davidof Cool Water
    L'air du desert Maroccain
    Caron Pour un Homme
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    De Nicolai’s New York
    Guerlain’s Jicky,
    Dior’s Jules

Please suggest any fragrances that you think should go on the list and tell me why.
    (Preferably limited to those available in a decant from decant sites.)
    Thanks in anticipation.

Default Re: Must -Try masculine fragrances to make up a sampler pack-suggestions please.

Nice selection and a great idea!

My only thoughts are:

Villoresi, either Uomo or Piper Nigrum - just standout fragrances and unique

and also add a sandalwood, like a Diptyque Tam Dao, MPG Santal Noble or Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore.

Regards,
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Default Re: Must -Try masculine fragrances to make up a sampler pack-suggestions please.

I might add Knize Ten - not just because I love the stuff - but because of all the perfumes I've tried, it's the most different; nothing smells quite like it. The notes listed don't quite give an accurate impression of the scent: for one thing, it's not very citrusy, more leathery, spicy and incense-like. It's also one of the older scents on the market, so you're buying a bit of history, too.
    I know you can get it from the Perfumed Court because I bought my sample from there ( this sampler, specifically, though they also sell it in this one and by itself ).
    Nice choices, by the way: I may be ordering a few those for myself soon!

Basenotes Institution

I think those are some great selections. Good job!

I would suggest adding:

Terre d'Hermes by Hermes. Best scent of 2006, IMO
    Virgin Island Water by Creed. Best summer scent of 2007, IMO
    Narciso Rodriguez for Him by NR. Best scent of the rest of 2007 (so far), IMO
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd November 2007 at 10:07 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Welcome to basenotes fancynance

Is he living in Australia? If so keep in mind that it's tough finding less well known/niche fragrances over here - I have never seen fragrances such as Knize Ten, Virgin Island Water or anything by Villoresi in shops here. Diptyque and Serge Lutens I have seen but they are rarer.

Good luck!

i'd add a couple more:

l'homme sage by divine
    kyoto by cdg
    black aoud by montale
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

These are some excellent suggestions. I would like to add one more: YSL Kouros. Love it or leave it, Kouros is one of the most quintessential masculine fragrances of the last fifty years. I would certainly include it.
    You are not your perfume.

Eau d'Italie, Bois d'Ombrie
    Czech & Speake, No. 88
    Kiton Men
    Serge Lutens: Cuir Mauresque, Santal de Mysore, Chene
    Domenico Caraceni
    Le Labo, Vetiver 46 and Rose 31
    Guerlain, Heritage and Habit Rouge
    Van Cleef & Arpels PH
    Chanel, Antaeus and Allure Homme
    Les Nereides, Patchouli Antique (best buy in patchouli, amazing)
    Last edited by Sloan; 8th November 2007 at 02:50 AM.

I thought you might be interested in an update to this thread.

I spent a lot of enjoyable time reading up about various male fragrances and reading reviews here and other sites and looking at the Perfumed Court. Some of the samples were in the Perfumed Court Beginners Leather Sampler and some in their Introduction to Incense, the others were ones I just thought sounded interesting. Also I tried to get some from each fragrance group.
    Finally, I packed the samples up in a brown velvet drawstring bag from the Perfumed Court. I had printed out reviews or notes on each perfume and rolled up the pages and tied them up in a scroll with ribbon. The whole lot went in bubble-wrap, then went into a box and was wrapped up.

This was the final selection

Comme des Garcons Kyoto
    Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer
    L'Artisan Dzing
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Knize Ten
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque
    Caron Yatagan
    Yves Saint Laurent Kouros
    Dior Eau Savage
    Creed Erolfa
    Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Santal Noble
    Tauer Perfumes L'air du Desert Marocain
    Dior Jules
    Diptyque Philosykos

The present went down a storm. Chris loved the idea of all the samples – particularly because they were hand-picked by me specially for him. He has been reading the notes and he and my daughter have been sniffing the samples and comparing notes. Sensibly Chris has decided to wear one sample every day to get the full experience.

My daughter will probably pinch his Eau Sauvage and I have got a penchant for his Philosykos.

I got both my daughters the Niche Baby Steps Sampler kit each, my husband had some Czech and Speake fragrances to try and I…well, I myself had rather a lot that I bought myself just because I loved the reviews and wanted to try them.

Quite a lot of perfume sampling will be going on over the next few weeks!