Code of Conduct

Thread: Spyware?

Question Spyware?

For the past couple of days, every time I open a new page on basenotes, I get a spyware warning(dangerous web site). One of the addresses that it comes up with is http ://www.qksz.net/1e-d1k9 (I put a space in the address so it won't be 'clickable'). At the same time, I also started to get 'web advertisement' warnings. Has this been happening to anyone else, or is my PC-cillin being a bit extreme? Thanks!
    Last edited by Caoleus; 4th November 2007 at 02:10 AM.

Default Re: Spyware?

Quote Originally Posted by Caoleus View Post
    For the past couple of days, every time I open a new page on basenotes, I get a spyware warning(dangerous web site). One of the addresses that it comes up with is http ://www.qksz.net/1e-d1k9 (I put a space in the address so it won't be 'clickable'). At the same time, I also started to get 'web advertisement' warnings. Has this been happening to anyone else, or is my PC-cillin being a bit extreme? Thanks!
    Hi C,
    Those messages are scary, aren't they? Of course I don't have access to your system, but BN is a very benign site - I've never seen such a problem before, and I haven't heard of anyone else having it. The only problems I've run into are plain vanilla script problems that our busy friend Grant is too busy to get to.

That being the case, I think it's extremely unlikely that BN is causing a problem. BUT... if you do have some spyware on your system, it may try to interact with certain types of sites.

You may reasonably ask, why doesn't PC-Cillin just get rid of spyware? Viruses and spyware, though both harmful, are not the same thing, so I'm guessing that your PC-Cillin (which I used to use back in the day) may notice spyware-like activity, but may not have the tools to deal with it.

I use two free antispyware products, and they work very well: Spybot and Spyware Blaster. I would suggest trying one of them. btw, these are Windows programs.

I hope that helps!
    Dave

I use PC-cillin as well and have seen the same warning.
    “Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”

~ Robert Brault

Hey Dave,

I haven't really been worried about it, and it hasn't kept me from visiting Basenotes. It's just a pain in the neck having to close down one or two warning pop-ups when I open a new page. I've been visiting the site on a very regular basis for over a year now, and have never had a problem before. It also seems very sporadic. The only thing I can think of that would be different from one time to another, is which banner ad loads up. When the Storer banner is at the top...no warning. Perfumecountry or Ebay banner at the top...one or two warnings pop up.

Scentsibility...thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one that this is happening to

Caoleus
    Last edited by Caoleus; 6th November 2007 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caoleus View Post
    Hey Dave,

I haven't really been worried about it, and it hasn't kept me from visiting Basenotes. It's just a pain in the neck having to close down one or two warning pop-ups when I open a new page. I've been visiting the site on a very regular basis for over a year now, and have never had a problem before. It also seems very sporadic. The only thing I can think of that would be different from one time to another, is which banner ad loads up. When the Storer banner is at the top...no warning. Perfumecountry or Ebay banner at the top...one or two warnings pop up.

Scentsibility...thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one that this is happening to

Caoleus
    That's interesting, and a good point about banners. Like many sites, BN has content from all over, not just "itself". Based on Scentsibility getting the same warning, it's probably just a PC-Cillin false positive - the scanner may think it's a cross-site scripting attack.

Maybe it's worth checking their site or dropping a note to their tech support. And with all this talk about spyware, I'm gonna update my scanners. But as you said, probably no harm in this case, so no need to get too nervous!

I am getting the same warnings. There must be some scripts running that are causing it, probably trying to collect statistics. The site admin should remove it.

PC-cillin is excellent software.

It sound like ad-ware
    it does not look like an Bn problem
    you should clean your system well when you have 3-4 hrs to spare
    Last edited by realbrisk; 7th November 2007 at 07:15 AM.