Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille.

I`m really interested in buying this,i just wanted some feedback from people who own this on how well it performs.I just tried a small sample & maybe get a bigger sample to try over a few days.One other question out of all the 12 Private Blend scents which one did you like the most & decided to buy a full bottle.

Default Re: Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille.

I tried several of this line - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Moss Breches, Bois Rouge, Black Violet and Amber Absolute and Tuscan Leather was my favourite by far. Tobacco Vanille reminded me a little of PG Un Crime Exotique and, although I tried it from a sample too, I think it lasted a reasonable amount of time on my skin.

Andy

Banned

I love it. It lasts all day on me, but it is very linear. Still considering picking up a bottle. Also tried amber absolute which I didn't like to say the least. Definitely get a larger sample and test it out a few days.
    Last edited by teger; 3rd November 2007 at 01:33 PM.

Didn't really work for me. The vanilla was a little dominant, and although there is a pipe-tobacco aura to it, it ultimately smelled more like cream soda and a touch on the femme-side for me.

Basenotes Institution

If you liked Tobacco Vanille from a small sample, most likely you will like a full bottle. It's a wonderful scent to me, capturing the gourmand aspect of the vanilla in a skillful sweetness and the dark tang of the tobacco leaves. Which is why everyone compares it to the smell of pipe tobacco - a common product that marries these two smells most often to all of our noses. It's one of the few Private Blends that are not too formal, TV could be easily worn with a flannel shirt, jeans and barefoot - as it could be with a tweed topcoat and three piece suit with scarf. One thing to consider: it's very linear. It doesn't have a complex dry down like some classic mens scents, it pretty much just stays the same smell until it fades. Some like that, some don't.

It's a perfect scent for autumn 2007.

jock_with_scents owns this - hopefully he'll see this thread and comment on TV.

I came this close to ordering a large decant of it myself - about a week ago. But some Items For Sale, here on BN, got my cash instead...you know how it is.

I did try all twelve Private Blends - and I recommend you do also. They are not all incredible scents, but smelling all 12 of them gives you an opportunity to encompass the whole line and Tom Ford's 'vision' as a theme - which is kind of neat. My favorites besides TV are: Tuscan Leather, Velvet Gardenia and Neroli Portofino. I suppose in a fantasy world, when I win the lottery perhaps, I will own all twelve [well...along with the Profumum line...!] but for now large size decants of these four would make me very happy.

I'm assuming you read my old thread with my thoughts on the PB here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=195365
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

just got this for $85 on EBAY....
    the seller has 2 left.
    harry_ny04

Tobacco Vanille was what I was looking for when I bought Fumerie Turque last autumn 2006.

Fumerie Turque had a little too much going on. TV is a more linear scent I guess you could say, but I get a good twelve hours from it and it definitely progresses in the drydown to a more 'sap and cocoa' feel on my skin. There is a progression but not dramatic IMHO.
    I perceive it as more masculine than Fumerie Turque also.

GOOD, GOOD, GOOD....I'm so glad I got this one.
    It is simultaneously unique and similar... ???
    --------------------------------------
    Have I mentioned that I LOVE this stuff?
    I mean seriously...this is some good SH%#.....
    Last edited by rjrober22; 14th November 2007 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Basenotes Institution

Michael (sloan_8013) got me a large sample of Tobacco Vanille to play around with - and I wore it last night at a get together with some friends, dinner, etc.

The high 60 temperatures in Miami were not cold, by any means, but the crispness in the air and low humidity made it almost perfect weather to enjoy T. Vanille. It was extremely comforting, masculine and...approachable. I say this, because Tom Ford scents usually are not very approachable (honestly, most of them make me feel underdressed) - but T. Vanille is the exception.

I hugged a few people goodbye when I left the party - and they just had to know what I was wearing. Which is always nice.

I'm also interested in doing a side-by-side with this and Guerlain's Spiriteuese Double Vanille (j_w_s gave me a sample) to acquaint myself with their similarities/differences. Anyone own both and care to comment?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 27th January 2008 at 06:26 PM.

I have DSV and a small sample of Tobaco Vaille.
    DSV is nice, more feminine, incensy, for contemplative mood.
    Tobaco Vanille is something unreal to me. It' s a shock, it's a scent I was looking for years.
    Lots of orientals, lots of vanillas pale in comparison with TV. Beauty should have it's limits, but TV goes out of them.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Dependent

I tested both the Tom Ford TV and Guerlain SDV and was much more impressed with the SDV. I like boozy scents and this comes off the skin initially as strong as a black russian only made with vanilla instead of coffe if that makes any sense at all. I can't think of another cocktail to compare it to.
    The booze blast is top note only and settles quickly into a very high quality Guerlain Vanilla, almost Shalimar like, but more aggressive.

The Tom Ford I reviewed and can't tell you what I wrote since I have a good memory but it's short. It's well made and smells for all the world like it's about worth what they're charging but the mixture I suppose without any kind of development was boring.

The SDV is no sillage monster and longevity is great as is the TV.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 27th January 2008 at 07:36 PM.

I've only tried this by way of sample from TPC. This is by far my favorite t0bacco oriented scent. I will buy this.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Can anyone compare it to Le Labo's new Vanille 44? It's one of the few more vanilla oriented scents that I have really liked (for example, I do not like Pi very much!). I also have a couple Tom Ford creations (including Tuscan Leather - which I loved!) - so I am curious and interested in how the TF TV compares with Labos.
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    Can anyone compare it to Le Labo's new Vanille 44? It's one of the few more vanilla oriented scents that I have really liked (for example, I do not like Pi very much!). I also have a couple Tom Ford creations (including Tuscan Leather - which I loved!) - so I am curious and interested in how the TF TV compares with Labos.
    Vanille 44 is more of an incense scent, similar to Heeley Cardinal, with a trace of bourbon vanilla in the base. Vanille 44 is a very subtle skin scent with hours of longevity. I would hesitate to refer to it as a vanilla scent. The name is consistent with Le Labo's love of ironic nomenclature.

In my experience, TV wears like sweet pipe tobacco. I cannot speak about the Guerlain.

Vanille 44 is an incense scent? I think I missed something in my sample! True, it's not so deeply vanilla, but probably that's a good thing for me! I have really enjoyed my sample of Vanille 44 - even wore it to work the other day.

I think I must get myself a sample of TV (I do like the smell of sweet pipe tobacco!). I'm sure I will enjoy it!

I sold my Tobacco Vanille but I loved the way it smelled. Doesn't make sense I know. I just couldn't get comfortable in it for some reason. It was me, not TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I sold my Tobacco Vanille but I loved the way it smelled. Doesn't make sense I know. I just couldn't get comfortable in it for some reason. It was me, not TV.
    it's like beautifully tailored wear but you don't feel free in it.
    Too rich, too deep, too loud.
    I am afraid of that either.
    Nevertheless I am thinking about 250 ml bottle
    Last edited by DreamerII; 27th January 2008 at 09:20 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

I think TV is stunning. Great longevity, and I have no problem with the linear nature of it, although I feel there is some evolution in it.

Maybe it is the climate I live in and my lifestyle is very, very casual. I just think you have to be confident and sure of yourself that is all. I find myself lately more comfortable with scents that pat me on the back and carry me a bit lately. TV doesn't carry me, at least for now.

Smelling TV on another would probably bring a big smile to my face. It is special IMO.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 27th January 2008 at 09:53 PM.

Hi Barry! That sounds like a great topic for a new thread:
    "Comfortable Scents that pat you on the back and carry you a bit"!

I know what you mean though, and I think I'm searching for the same. I'm wearing some Domenico Caraceni right now... and mmmmmmmmm... I'm being carried to some nice Beethoven concerto in my head! That... or maybe the glass of wine I'm drinking??!!
    Last edited by Schachman; 27th January 2008 at 10:23 PM.

Crap. I could use a glass of wine and I am out and TN doesn't allow sells on Sunday.

You could totally wear TV well Jason. I wore Tuscan Leather last night and surprisingly, I got more leather than the previous two wearings. It was actually nice. I made the comment to several friends at the party about it smelling like cocaine. They all looked at me and said...well...it smells more like pot than coke. Go figure. I was told by someone that I smelled RUSTIC. I haven't determined yet if that was good or bad.

Enjoy the wine and the DC.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 27th January 2008 at 10:41 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    Vanille 44 - Amber and Incense on the opening. The vanilla is more prominent on the drydown. Light and unisex vanilla.

Tobacco Vanille - Strait up pipe tobacco with vanilla, doesn't change much. It is very comforting - but as JWS said it isn't a sidekick

Spiritueuse Double Vanille - Spiced rum and vanilla on the opening. The rum gives it a woody, more dark feel (almost like tobacco). As it progresses the smell of baked vanilla comes out.

I was wearing Tobacco Vanille today. I still don't enjoy it. I think tobacco and sweetness should never mix together. I was expecting something rich, strong, modern and bold..but it smells very old world in a way... Inside of a cigar box..maybe? I think the sweetness really ruins it for me.

What was really funny was, I could still smell it after a shower, but it highly resembled Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin.

Hey, if Clay Aiken wears it, it must be good!

Who wants to smell like Clay? I do! I do!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I was wearing Tobacco Vanille today. I still don't enjoy it. I think tobacco and sweetness should never mix together. I was expecting something rich, strong, modern and bold..but it smells very old world in a way... Inside of a cigar box..maybe? I think the sweetness really ruins it for me.
    It's an acquired taste.

I remember Ruggles smelling TV when it first came out (only at the Tom Ford Store and at Bergdorf's) and he said the combo of tobacco with sweet notes kind of grossed him out because it reminded him of eating tobacco.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    It's an acquired taste.

I remember Ruggles smelling TV when it first came out (only at the Tom Ford Store and at Bergdorf's) and he said the combo of tobacco with sweet notes kind of grossed him out because it reminded him of eating tobacco.
    And now I love it.

Basenotes Institution

Strange Tobacco Vanille incident last night...

I applied it right before bed (bad idea - this scent is quite intense and heady...too much for bedtime) and I got a little grossed out by it. I'm not sure if it was the high humidity in Miami last night, my mood, etc...but I definitely couldn't shake the mental picture of tobacco and vanilla in my head. Kind of like vanilla flavored chewing tobacco and what it might smell like mixed with saliva and spit out. Ack!

I hope that this little incident doesn't turn me off from TV (I only own a small sample of this, not a whole bottle). I'm putting my sample away and will revisit it later.

Basenotes Institution

UPDATE: So, the weather in Miami drastically dropped yesterday and tonight...which is really strange for Miami in April. Anyway, enjoying the cool weather so I applied the very last drops of my Tobacco Vanille sample and the above incident seems to have passed. This scent IMO needs to be worn in cool or cold weather, to really not become cloying or too thick. The vanilla / tobacco combo cuts right through the cold air almost perfectly and is incredibly comforting. Plus I got 2 compliments also...which doesn't hurt.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th April 2008 at 04:53 AM.

Sur la Plage

I was in Neimans in Las Vegas this past weekend, so I got to sample Tobacco Vanille as well as the other Tom Ford blends. I really liked the linear sweet tobacco pipe scent. But the weather was pushing 90 degrees in Vegas, so it probably was not the ideal conditions to sample it in. The SA was very helpful, and gave me several samples to take home. So I am going to try Tobacco Vanille again when/where the weather is more conducive to it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I was in Neimans in Las Vegas this past weekend, so I got to sample Tobacco Vanille as well as the other Tom Ford blends. I really liked the linear sweet tobacco pipe scent. But the weather was pushing 90 degrees in Vegas, so it probably was not the ideal conditions to sample it in. The SA was very helpful, and gave me several samples to take home. So I am going to try Tobacco Vanille again when/where the weather is more conducive to it.
    I just got my decant of Spiritueuse Double Vanille and I think for lovers of tobacco and vanilla that live in warm climates like us petruccijc, TV is more of a cool weather scent and SDV is more of a Spring/Summer scent. This is, of course, a generalization - but one could easily get the wrong idea about TV wearing it in the heat. Of course this rule applies to most gourmands, but the addition of the tobacco in TV with the heavy, sweet vanilla really smells a little gross in hot weather.

Have to agree with the above assessments of TV versus SDV (sounds like a WWE grudge match )
    TV does smell like a tobacconists shop but I wouldn't think about wearing it in warm weather as I am pretty sure it would become too cloying. I also think that this is one of those that you couldn't get away with spraying less on a hot day, either.
    I am wearing SDV today and it is a coolish morning for New England (temps in the 50's) but this just feels lighter than TV and the boozy heart note really feels right. The dry downs are similar as I am getting a lot of similarity between the two.
    Le Labo Vanille 44 is just a different beast as the incense component in that one takes it off into a whole 'nother direction.
    I have to say that after trying these "big 3" vanillas I like them all for different reason and will wear them a lot.
    My bank account won't like it a lot but I certainly will.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 15th April 2008 at 02:52 PM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I have to say that after trying these "big 3" vanillas I like them all for different reason and will wear them a lot.
    My bank account won't like it a lot but I certainly will.
    The 2008 Vanilla Trifecta - at current retail prices, it should cost $221 (SDV) + $500 (V44) + $165 (TV) = $886 for all three bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The 2008 Vanilla Trifecta - at current retail prices, it should cost $221 (SDV) + $500 (V44) + $165 (TV) = $886 for all three bottles.
    Yeah it isn't the Guerlain or Tom Ford which are really making me ache its the darn Paris exclusive Le Labo. I wish I didn't like it so much and I really wish it was about half the price.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/