Code of Conduct

Thread: "Grunge" Scents

Default "Grunge" Scents

I'm wearing a flannel shirt, haven't shaved in almost a week, and my hair is really long and messy. I'm not lazy, just how it is, when you're a student. Lately, I haven't been wearing much perfumes, because it feels a bit odd when you're wearing something all pretty smelling, when you look like a homeless person.

I'm not particularly really into the music, but the style seems to fit me right now. Any of you guys know of any scents that fits the grunge look...I wore Nostagila a couple of days ago with SL MKK.

Here's some info about the term grunge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge_music

"Clothing commonly worn by grunge musicians in Washington consisted of thrift store items and the typical outdoor clothing (most notably flannel shirts) of the region, as well as a general unkempt appearance. The style did not evolve out of a conscious attempt to create an appealing fashion; music journalist Charles R. Cross said, "Kurt Cobain was just too lazy to shampoo," and Sub Pop's Jonathan Poneman said, "This [clothing] is cheap, it's durable, and it's kind of timeless. It also runs against the grain of the whole flashy aesthetic that existed in the 80's."

Default Re: "Grunge" Scents

yeah -- Fresh's "Cannabis Santal." it's earthy, "grungy"--yet creamy and luscious....
    Dieu prend plaisir dès maintenant à ce que tu fais.
    Qu'en tout temps tes vêtements soient blancs et que le parfum ne manque pas sur ta tête. (Ecclésiaste 9:7-8)

Basenotes Institution

The penultimate 'grunge' scent is Greenbriar 1968 by CB I Hate Perfume - although it's expensive and not easy to source.

Others I might suggest are:

Cumming by Alan Cumming
    Tar or Garage by Comme des Garcons
    Dirt by Demeter
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Axe?

jk, I know you wouldn't stoop that low

Kiehl's Original Musk Oil, of course! It smells like an unwashed 1970's patchouli wearing hippie to me. Creed's Acier Aluminum is similarly dirty smelling on me, but with some fruit and mint (?) notes added.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

i'll second a lot of the synthetic series by cdg, or alternatively i think something like kyoto or cdg 2 man would suit, as it's a little earthy/dirty.

Off-Scenter

Maybe a "rooty" vetiver, like Etro Vetiver or Route du Vetiver.

Teen Spirit?
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

KISS Him
    Santal Noble
    Last edited by MadScientist; 4th November 2007 at 02:35 PM.

Seems like Black XS is marketed towards this group.

Yatagan
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

some photos in your grunge finery would have been appropriate here

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Yatagan
    Yup, that's just what I was thinking - stinky enough not to clash with the grunge.
    For swap/sale: Vintage Tiffany for Men, 1 Million Absolutely Gold, Prada Amber pour Homme DELUXE version, Loewe Pour Homme, Pure Malt 2013, Floris Vetiver, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Quote Originally Posted by ebear View Post
    Yup, that's just what I was thinking - stinky enough not to clash with the grunge.
    Along with knightowl and ebear, I'll third the Yatagan - IMO, the penultimate I-don't-care-what-you-think-of-me fragrance.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Sorry for the late response, I was meaning to write something but forgot.

Just wanted to say, that I was looking towards getting and sampling Cannabis Santal, Cumming, and Yatagan.

The rest either I've tried and didn't like or doesn't fit (Route de Vetiver, Santal Noble, Tar, etc..) or I already love and own (Kyoto).

That Greenbriar 1968 sounds nice, but it's a water based perfume, I don't know about that...are they trying to cheap out on their perfumes....I don't know how they wear on the skin, but any info would be nice.

Anyways, thanks for the ones that wrote in.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 16th November 2007 at 01:09 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Sorry for the late response, I was meaning to write something but forgot.

Just wanted to say, that I was looking towards getting and sampling Cannabis Santal, Cumming, and Yatagan.

The rest either I've tried and didn't like or doesn't fit (Route de Vetiver, Santal Noble, Tar, etc..) or I already love and own (Kyoto).

That Greenbriar 1968 sounds nice, but it's a water based perfume, I don't know about that...are they try to cheap out on their perfumes....I don't know how they wear on the skin, but any info would be nice.

Anyways, thanks for the ones that wrote in.
    Good choices - I love all three...however I think Cannabis Santal is very sweet and comforting to my nose, not 'grungy' at all. Cumming and Yatagan are great and yes I see how they can be perceived this way. Be careful - both of these need some time to rest on your skin before you make your impression of them, since they both feature jarring top notes (Cumming = rubber and Yatagan = celery seed spice).

Greenbriar 1968 by CB I Hate Perfume is a water based scent because ALL of the CBIHP scents are either water or oil. Mr. Brosius (the owner and perfumer) does not use alcohol at all - he doesn't believe in it. You can read all about it on his website. Don't let the 'water' fool you - some of the water scents (specifically Burning Leaves) are very tenacious. Most of the CBIHP though, as a rule, are not long lasting - that is the very nature of the CBIHP aesthetic. If you ever do get a chance to smell this, I think you will agree with me - the first whiff of this juice instantly smells like a dirty garage / tool shed - the olfactory image it projects is fantastically recreated.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

L'Autre has kind of a dirty feel to it, whether or not you think it smells like unwashed bodies.

Black Tourmaline
    starts with a lot of smoke - like you might smell if you were living underneath a bridge - and goes into some warm and occasionally cumin-y notes in the dry down - earthy, IMO.
    Last edited by zatarain; 16th November 2007 at 12:26 AM.

Hmmm, how about L'Anarchiste?

Blood, metal and ...oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Greenbriar 1968 by CB I Hate Perfume is a water based scent because ALL of the CBIHP scents are either water or oil. Mr. Brosius (the owner and perfumer) does not use alcohol at all - he doesn't believe in it. You can read all about it on his website. Don't let the 'water' fool you - some of the water scents (specifically Burning Leaves) are very tenacious. Most of the CBIHP though, as a rule, are not long lasting - that is the very nature of the CBIHP aesthetic. If you ever do get a chance to smell this, I think you will agree with me - the first whiff of this juice instantly smells like a dirty garage / tool shed - the olfactory image it projects is fantastically recreated.
    Thanks...I did read into CBIHP a little and the description of Greenbriar 1969 sounds stellar, but I heard they wear a bit "bubbly" on the skin (comment from another basenoter)...so I was a bit worried. But I will look into them...Thanks again for the comments. Time to seek samples.

Oh, also I just got my bottle of Black Tourmaline...will wear it soon.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 16th November 2007 at 01:11 AM.

I thought of Tumulte for some reason.

Another vote for Yatagan or Cumming.

These two come to mind:
    Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin
    Gaultier G2

Halston Z-14 is pretty grungy

Vetier-anyt kind, or santal,,,
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    forget Yatagan, stick with earthy scents, ...
    Last edited by greendragon; 13th January 2008 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Would .... L'Anarchiste be grunge ?

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Comme Des Garcons Guerrilla Series strikes me as a very grunge concept, though I haven't tried them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Would... L'Anarchiste be grunge ?
    The packaging strikes me as more goth than grunge; the scent itself... more like an intellectual with Avante Garde tastes who'd look down on both goths and grungers.
    Sometimes it's too easy to picture fragrances as people.