Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Serge Luten Bell jars.. splash not spray! :(

I really want to buy a 75ml bell Jar but they are splash bottles not spray. I have not used a splash bottle for some years now. Would any 'splashers' please try and put my mind at ease that I can indeed survive without a spray function?!!

Default Re: Serge Luten Bell jars.. splash not spray! :(

ok, so this isn't really helping, but i cannot fuction without a splash. worst case scenario? buy a nice atomizer and decant the whole thing. you still keep the rad bottle AND get a spray function.

Post Thanks / Like

The less time a splash jar/bottle is open the less oxidation damages the contents. Quickly decanting into spray atomizers is definitely the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep good point Chad, thing is though I will be a bit pissed that I cannot use the juice straight from the SL bottle doing it that way. Sort of removes a bit of the magic IMO. Hmm I dont know? lol
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    The less time a splash jar/bottle is open the less oxidation damages the contents. Quickly decanting into spray atomizers is definitely the way to go.
    yeah this is another point I have considered. Dont you think SL should maybe supply a cool atomizer with the splash bottles (FREE of course!). That would be great.
    Last edited by r2s; 4th November 2007 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like

I realize that there are the splash adherents out there.

My thoughts on that type of bottle is, and it may be a minor concern, but doesn't the contact with one's skin "contaminate" the contents? I mean, there are oils on the skin, no matter how clean.

I'm interested to know what the prevailing logic is for keeping the splash (other than for an orgiastic, actual splashing out of contents over the body, although this is most likely an image born of an overactive imagination coupled with Prince Matchabelli ads from the 1980s).

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Oaksbluff,

Yeah I do agree totally. I mean in terms of keeping the scent 'clean' it cannot be a good idea. The more I think about it the more unhappy I get lol. I am alost decided against the splash bottle now... there is still time to change my mind but I think the con's are out weighing the pro's on this one!

If it's still Chergui you're looking to buy I can confirm they still sell it in Harrods London - in spray bottles. Or you could order one from beautique.com. Once you've finished the frag keep the bottle buy the bell jar and decant the juice into that empty atomizer.

Post Thanks / Like

The splash bottle is necessary for scents like MKK, which require small amounts.

I think the bottles are beautiful and unique, and its a small task to decant a bit into a spray...makes it easy to bring alone with you too.

I can see why everyone would disagree with me though...its not as glamorous spraying out of a little atomizer. Maybe close your eyes or look directly at the bell jar while doing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    If it's still Chergui you're looking to buy I can confirm they still sell it in Harrods London - in spray bottles. Or you could order one from beautique.com. Once you've finished the frag keep the bottle buy the bell jar and decant the juice into that empty atomizer.

excellent idea Phil!! yes I am still looking to invest in Chergui (fantastic scent). I think spray is the only way to go for me but your option does still offer an opertunity to own a bell jar too....sterling work Phil!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Maybe close your eyes or look directly at the bell jar while doing it.

LOL I love that quote!!! Bit like closing my eyes during sex and imagining my Mrs is Kate Bekinsale!!
    Last edited by r2s; 4th November 2007 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hey, talking about spray bottles, has anyone got an empty SL spray bottle that they no longer need? I need to decant my Santal de Mysore ASAP, as my decant is almost finished. I already have a spare (and unused) spray attachment, so I'm half-way there. I'd gladly pay for P&P.

Please PM me if you can help.
    Last edited by Trebor; 4th November 2007 at 05:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Trebor,

Sorry I dont mate. So do you do what phibess suggested and buy the bell jar and then decant into an empty SL atomizer? If so would it not be easier to just buy the spary version in the first place?

r2s,

Santal de Mysore is only available as an exclusive, so that means no spray bottle equivalent currently exists. I don't mind decanting the juice once or twice but not continuously.
    Last edited by Trebor; 4th November 2007 at 06:16 PM.

it's too bad they lutens don't come with the SMN partial stopper that makes controlled splashing feasible. it's a plastic insert with a little hole. I used to spray Melograno but find it's really kind of nice to apply it without spraying.

you shoudl have some 10 ml atomizers for travel and swapping anyway...

Yeah, those tiny atomisers that come with the bell jars are simply not enough. A 15 or 20ml atomiser, with the Serge Lutens logo would have been perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by r2s View Post
    LOL I love that quote!!! Bit like closing my eyes during sex and imagining my Mrs is Kate Bekinsale!!
    Everyone does it!!

I'm pretty sure that Mr. Lutens, at some point, has looked into having the bell jars come with a spray, but we all know that he's all about the aesthetic, and if it wasn't just right, he'd rather not do it. I wouldn't take him for the "function over form" type...but I'm just guessing.

I still think they're the most beautiful perfume bottles on the market, so I'm willing to take the time to decant into a spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Oaksbluff View Post
    I realize that there are the splash adherents out there.

My thoughts on that type of bottle is, and it may be a minor concern, but doesn't the contact with one's skin "contaminate" the contents? I mean, there are oils on the skin, no matter how clean.

I'm interested to know what the prevailing logic is for keeping the splash (other than for an orgiastic, actual splashing out of contents over the body, although this is most likely an image born of an overactive imagination coupled with Prince Matchabelli ads from the 1980s).
    The alcohol will neutralize any "contamination" from your skin.

Let it be known that I use all my Lutens' as a splash, never a spray. And no, it never involves splashing large uncontrollable amounts. The reason I do it is precisely so l can use less than a spray would use, plus I have better control over it, as sprays waste a bunch of fragrance.

With the Bell Jars, I use the lid/stopper to dab some on. I tilt the bottle while it's closed so it wets the bottom of the stopper, then I take the stopper (thereby opening the bottle) and dab some on.

With the 50ml bottles I either use my fingertip as a stopper and wet it, and use that to apply, or else with stronger ones, I use the stem of the sprayer to dab some on more sparingly.

Sprays use giant blasts, half of which flies into the air wasted.

With bottles where the opening is too big for the fingertip method, like Montales I also use the sprayer straw to dab.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Well the decision has been made... I have now purchased my new bottle of Chergui (from beautique.com thanks philbess) and its a ........... drum roll........ 50ml spray bottle! Damn I regret not going for the bell jar now however as "phibess" suggested I can use up the 50ml bottle then buy the bell jar to refill it.

Thanks for the input guys it has raised a few interesting points.