Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Erwin Creed on various houses

An article from 2005 - Erwin Creed likes Chanel and Jean-Claude Ellena fragrances. Bond no. 9 Chinatown and Elizabeth Arden? Not so much
    Never heard of Chantecaille ..

Erwin Creed claims he’s not a party boy, but some je ne sais quoi in those big dreamy brown eyes of his seems to suggest otherwise.
    On Monday morning at the Asiate restaurant in Columbus Circle, Mr. Creed was well scrubbed and suited up in a blue jacket and tie. His brown hair was slightly tousled, his lashes curled up, his smile dazzling. Not only does the seventh-generation, 25-year-old Creed perfume heir speak English with a heavy Parisian accent, he’s just plain hot.
    At first, Mr. Creed tried to branch out from the family biz by studying fashion and working with candles in Geneva, but he eventually relented and studied under a perfumer for six months. He has since agreed to take on the family business when his father steps down.
    Now he travels with his father to India and Bulgaria to find fresh jasmine and roses. He wakes up in the morning and writes down new ideas for fragrances. Sometimes he even puts on women’s fragrances just to walk around in them and feel their smell. While in New York, he smelled Bond No. 9’s Chinatown.
    “I just finished eating, and it made me feel nauseous,” he said.
    What kind of fragrances does the Prince of Perfume prefer?
    “Chanel in general and Jean-Claude,” he said.
    What about Elizabeth Taylor’s White Diamonds?
    “Sometimes when I smell it, I get a flash that I’ve smelt it before.”
    Lalique?
    “It’s quite O.K. It’s more about the bottle than the perfume.”
    Jo Malone?
    “O.K.”
    Elizabeth Arden?
    “Not a big fan.”
    Chantecaille?
    “Better.”
    Calvin Klein CK1?
    “It’s good for everything.”
    Celebrity perfumes, like J. Lo’s Glow?
    “It’s one of the best of the worst,” he laughed. “J. Lo makes only young women’s perfume, and it’s always very sweet. We say ‘gourmand.’ Celebrities don’t make the perfume themselves; they go to a factory to make a copy. They want to push their advertising.”
    During his short stay in New York, Mr. Creed has stopped by Le Père Pinard, Pastis and the nightclub Cain. He admitted that while in Paris, he doesn’t make the scene and spends much of his time with his girlfriend. Le sigh.
    The Transom would like nothing better than for Mr. Creed to duck through a social oubliette’s trapdoor to the Euro-Manhattan demi-world corridor of playboys and mini-heirs; he’s got a face and a bank account just made for Page Six. Yet the wildest he gets is boxing twice a week; he’s even given up skiing and motocross, and presumably will never ever take up professional nightclubbing.
    “I broke everything,” he said. “I broke my legs two times. I broke my knuckles”—twice, in fact. “That’s why I’m not skiing, because I was a bit more crazy. I don’t want to take the risk,” he concluded.
    —E.C.

Link: http://www.observer.com/node/51523
    -

Default Re: Erwin Creed on various houses

Really a very nice read.He seems to be a nice guy .Unfortunately noone here in Bulgaria has heard anything about Creed.This might have been a good thing in if you would own some Creeds cause you would be sooo unique but the really big downside is that there isn't any plase where to buy them .Paradox after a paradox.That's my country.But anyways I love it and am proud to call myself a Bulgarian.End of Offtopic :P

Quote Originally Posted by mr.valchev View Post
    Unfortunately noone here in Bulgaria has heard anything about Creed.This might have been a good thing in if you would own some Creeds cause you would be sooo unique but the really big downside is that there isn't any plase where to buy them .Paradox after a paradox.That's my country.But anyways I love it and am proud to call myself a Bulgarian.End of Offtopic :P
    give me a break. I own almost all creeds (even half-liter ones). And I live in Bulgaria. And yes - my wage is under 20k a year. Nothing can stop you buying Creed over internet. Creed is like drugs - quite addictive. Or may be I am just royal-blooded )

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the part of the interview, where the journalist after hearing that Mr. Creed spends most time in Paris with his girlfriend, says, 'Le sigh'.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

’ Celebrities don’t make the perfume themselves; they go to a factory to make a copy. They want to push their advertising.”

oh please, this from miss 6 months of perfume school working in daddy's company cause she couldn't manage to make a go of "fashion" and even candles...even with the Creed name.

oh yeah, he sounds just soooo nice, not a trace of bitchiness: a regular princess! I'm sure he makes daddy very proud!
    Last edited by supermarky; 5th November 2007 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel View Post
    give me a break. I own almost all creeds (even half-liter ones). And I live in Bulgaria. And yes - my wage is under 20k a year. Nothing can stop you buying Creed over internet. Creed is like drugs - quite addictive. Or may be I am just royal-blooded )
    Whoah - I thought I was good at acquiring gems on a low income, but I think you've got me beat - you should tell us your techniques for acquiring Creeds on the cheap - I hope you also get to eat regularly and pay your rent!
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky View Post
    ’ Celebrities don’t make the perfume themselves; they go to a factory to make a copy. They want to push their advertising.”

oh please, this from miss 6 months of perfume school working in daddy's company cause she couldn't manage to make a go of "fashion" and even candles...even with the Creed name.

oh yeah, he sounds just soooo nice, not a trace of bitchiness: a regular princess! I'm sure he makes daddy very proud!
    Agreed.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know . . Erwin just sounds like a typical, 24-year-old kid to me, having struggled in his late teens with whether or not he wants to carry on the family business. And what percentage of 20-year-olds have already mastered a profession? So Erwin is rich and privileged and has a company handed to him on a silver platter. But so what? He's never boasted about his privileged life, and he's readily acknowledged that he's nowhere close to being a master perfumer. He HAS been steadily "growing into" the profession. His older sister reportedly has tremendous talent in perfumery too. Personally, I like the Creeds (and so do the journalists that interview them). Olivier and Erwin seem to genuinely love life and work, without being consumed with ego and self-importance, like so many American designers and other niche perfumers. Erwin is visiting NM locations in 8 cities this week - his first trip to America in 4 years - and for a 26-year-old, he seems to be transitioning into the business very nicely.
    Last edited by tigers1901; 6th November 2007 at 11:31 AM.

Chantecaille is more a makeup brand than a fragrance brand, I have only tested Le Jasmin which is quite alright, but judging from the packaging and the scents they are producing the main targets for them are women.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey tigers, did you know Erwin is coming to somerset NM on Thursday? The reps called me.

I have class that night, and I really shouldn't skip. I feel like I should meet this guy, though! I bet we'd get along.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Chantecaille is mainly a cosmetics line - a fairly nice line, but also overpriced. Their fragrances are definitely feminine. I guess the interviewer saw a few obvious similarities to Creed - French origin, exclusive bricks-and-mortar sales in NM stores, and scents within the same price range as Creed- so that's why the name came up. A shame that more significant houses weren't ask about.

Edited to reply to Scentronic: yes, I was contacted twice about the Erwin date. The first call invited me to a coctail party for Erwin (um, no, not really my style). The second call came last week from Claudia and Shelley (yes, I now have BOTH of them - a Creed rep and a NM rep - always on my trail). NM also has a beauty GWP running this week (a clutch bag I don't need, filled with fragrance samples I don't really want), so there's a big push in the department to contact "clients." I'm not going to the event, since I don't live that close to the store, and it runs in the evening (I would've been more likely to have gone during the summer, when it's not so dark and cold). Anyway, they're going to have Erwin sign a bottle for me on Thursday, and I'll pick it up this weekend. I mentioned Basenotes to Claudia and Shelley (and the department manager) again, and I can't believe that they STILL never read this site!
    Last edited by tigers1901; 6th November 2007 at 12:04 PM.

I don't see how anyone can draw any conclusions about anyone from such a short little article like that!

The interviewer threw perfume names at him, and he threw one word answers back!
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    I don't see how anyone can draw any conclusions about anyone from such a short little article like that!

The interviewer threw perfume names at him, and he threw one word answers back!
    Yep, short fluff. I would so love to read an interview with a Creed that delves into perfume and Creed history rather than spread out the usual PR schtick. But they seem a bit reclusive when it comes to that.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

He's going down a similar path as his father Olivier, who indulged in other professions and was a 'rebel' before settling down to take care of family business at a similar age .. as long as it leads him to create fragrances like Baie de geneivre, Bois du portugal, Silver Mountain Water, Feuille Verte etc., I don't care what he says about the other houses
    Last edited by zztopp; 6th November 2007 at 04:37 PM.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

The fluff is, no doubt, the fault of today's perfume market. Fragrance releases are constant, and ultimately disposable, just like the ever-changing stock in department stores. It's all about "what's hot now" - with stores, consumers and the media. Our drugstores in America are just flooded with celebrity fragrances these days. By contrast, most consumers have never heard of Creed unless they have a Neiman Marcus near them. So, I assume that most reporters don't ask the Creeds about their history because they figure that no one cares about it. They figure that Erwin's looks make for an appealing story, so it ends up being all about his work with Virgin Island Water and Love in White. I agree that over 200 years of Creeds would make for plenty of interesting stories - but since it's presumed that most people today don't want to ready anything of substance, it'll probably never happen. It's all sad, isn't it?

There's a book in there if anyone is interested in writing it (and if the Creeds agree to participate). And if you think of all the people with money to spend on Creeds, there should be enough of a market for a book on them.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Oh yeah, after all you never know how they edited the article maybe he's really "down to earth", unpretentious, without any class issues whatsoever, and would like nothing better to hang with his basenotes buds! At least he knows you don't smell like his maids.
    Last edited by supermarky; 6th November 2007 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Whoah - I thought I was good at acquiring gems on a low income, but I think you've got me beat - you should tell us your techniques for acquiring Creeds on the cheap - I hope you also get to eat regularly and pay your rent!
    I don't get Creed for cheap. Let me count .. my Creed collection is still under 2k$. It is not that much. I will pass buying new TV. And in my country you normally don't pay rent. Everybody has a home.

Oh yeah, after all you never know how they edited the article maybe he's really "down to earth", unpretentious, without any class issues whatsoever, and would like nothing better to hang with his basenotes buds! At least he knows you don't smell like his maids.
    Hey! Don't knock Erwin. Don't you know he took time out of his busy schedule of hand pressing each single vetiver blade himself just to appear in the article??!!

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Post Thanks / Like

ROFLMAO..... Dude, you are a master of sarcasm. Freaking hillarious....I'm hoping he comes to my local NM and showers the peasants with appreciative gestures and carded samples.

Post Thanks / Like

Just lovin' the comment about CK1. It really is a great universal "blend in the crowd" -frag.

-Pekko