Code of Conduct

Default Which fragrances do you refuse to give up, but never wear??

In my collection I have a couple of fragrances that I never wear, but seem to be unable to let go of, namely, Kouros and Knize Ten.
    I always feel that if I added Jicky and Tabac Blond, they would suffer the same fate.
    Any thoughts out there on your "reference" scents?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which fragrances do you refuse to give up, but never wear??

Good question! I don't wear many overly girlie frags anymore, but I can't seem to get rid of my half-empty bottles of Lancome Miracle (was given to me by my former boss) & Mary Kay Velocity (reminds me of good times). I also bought a little bottle of Banana Republic W a few months ago. I've only worn it a couple times, but the smell brings back great memories of high school.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Kiehl's Musk. I just simply cannot pull it off, but it smells so darn luscious and delicious.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

right now i dont really have any but every now and then I realize. wow, I really don't wear this like ever. Maybe I should trade it.....

Gaultier 2 and the SL scents in my wardrobe are hard to pull off, but I refuse to give them up. The same goes for A*men.

Green Irish Tweed.. Everytime i wear this i can hardly smell it after a while..Its the positive reviews on here that make me keep hold!!

Incanto by Ferragamo. I don't even remember my last time wearing it.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Diptyque's L'Ombre Dans L'Eau....I absolutely adore it, but I can't even remember the last time I wore it. I think I associate it too much with the matching candle.

I thought of another in my collection, Aqua Allegoria Lavande Velours, I can't let it go of it as it's discontinued, but the reality is: it's a bit of a lavender overload on me.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 5th November 2007 at 08:10 PM.

212 for Men and Gucci Envy. I don't know why because I like both of them - it just seems that others jump in front of these two on a daily basis!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Those would be my J&E Atkinsons' I Coloniali fragrances - Javanese Cananga (predominantly amber), Mirra & Mirra (myrrh + vanilla) and Loto & Loto (floral-tomato leaf-type scent). Guess these are no longer being made (I read somewhere that they lost their distributor), so some online companies have marked up the larger bottles of Javanese Cananga to around $250 - insane. I had even purchased one or two extra bottles of each of these scents, since I owned so few fragrances at the time, and they were on clearance at Sephora. They're all beautifully-blended scents, yet I never seem to reach for them anymore (likely because of their poor longevity). I guess I keep them around because they're much better than most of today's commercial releases, but . . . .

I have a bunch like this. My favorites, unfortunately, like Terre d'Hermes and Bond Central Park. The problem is that these are scents that I deem "too good" to wear on ordinary days. Then as a result, they get passed over, and never worn except for weekends.

This is being resolved by my great "sell off". I'm down to about 36 bottles now. I'm getting down to my "core rotation". Hopefully I'll cut some more.

I have to start remembering that life is short and the good stuff is there to enjoy every day, not just special occasions.

Basenotes Institution

Comme des Garcons 3
    Guerilla 1 by Comme des Garcons

Their inherent strangeness both repels me from wearing them in public often - yet fascinates me. I will always own them and yet rarely will I ever wear them. It doesn't hurt that the bottles are strangely beautiful also.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Escada Magnetism for me... I just wish it lasted more than 5 minutes on me, it seems to completely vanish and it's not only me that can't smell it, it seems no-one can!

Anyone else have the same problem with Magnetism?

Two bottles of the universally unknown Liquid Karl by Karl Lagerferd.
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26123757.html
    Owing them for at least one year without even one full wearing or a
    disposition to trade/sell....
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Ohhh yes there is one

I have not worn Antaeus for a while - it is just so not NOW too strong a too much presence.

However Antaeus is in my opinion the most beautifull SCENT of all time.

I still believe that it's inventor must have been in a kind of magical trance to invente such a perfume.

laurent
    Last edited by laurent; 5th November 2007 at 06:04 PM.
    Invisible Power

CdG 2 MAN.

I got this one as a gift almost two years ago, and I don't want to swap it because it is a gift. Anyways, I absolutely love the scent, but it just isn't that versatile, so I only reach for it about once every 4-6 months.

Runner-up: Thierry Mugler's B*Men. Love the juice, but it brings back bad memories. Since it might be discontinued(?), should I put it on the swap board?
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I don't think I've ever worn my Gucci Envy - probably because romantic evening fragrances don't work at work or for changing diapers - and that's been my life for the last 14 months
    I can add Jaipur, Rochas Lui, Angélique Encens, Floris Eau de Santal, Jivago 7 Elements to the list - none of which I'm willing to part with.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by tigers1901 View Post
    Those would be my J&E Atkinsons' I Coloniali fragrances - Javanese Cananga (predominantly amber), Mirra & Mirra (myrrh + vanilla) and Loto & Loto (floral-tomato leaf-type scent). Guess these are no longer being made (I read somewhere that they lost their distributor), so some online companies have marked up the larger bottles of Javanese Cananga to around $250 - insane. I had even purchased one or two extra bottles of each of these scents, since I owned so few fragrances at the time, and they were on clearance at Sephora. They're all beautifully-blended scents, yet I never seem to reach for them anymore (likely because of their poor longevity). I guess I keep them around because they're much better than most of today's commercial releases, but . . . .

I have a full bottle of Javanese Cananga Flower (it's ylang ylang and amber) and rarely wear it, because I don't want to run out! It's a cold, cold weather scent for me and it's still mild here. Smells great layered with sandalwood soap, too. I sold my China Tender Peony Water on Ebay last year, because I figured someone would really appreciate it and I'm not into peonies anymore.

Others I hold onto (some are discontinued) but rarely wear - Hermes Amazone Fraiche, Chanel No 5, Chanel mini coffret with EDP's, RL Glamourous Daylight, various YSL Paris Roses EDT's, L'Occitane Eau de Val & Eau de 4 Reines, Guerlain Imperiale, SUN by Jil Sander.
    Last edited by beachroses; 5th November 2007 at 07:40 PM.

I hardly ever wear Gucci Envy, Ferrari Black, Pi, or Versace Man anymore.

Centaure by Pierre Cardin (black frosted bottle w/horse head cap)

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

A very interesting thread. Gaining an further insight into Basenoter's wardrobes (apart from the usual things, such as longevity or whether they like it or not) is something I truly enjoy reading about.

As for me, that's the reason why my wardrobe is so small. At some point this year, I decided that ALL my fragrances have to appeal to me in equal measure when deciding on which one to wear (regardless of the occasion or season). I quickly discovered those that are immediately passed over continue to remain neglected (and usually for a good reason).

Anyway, that's just me.
    Last edited by Trebor; 5th November 2007 at 08:14 PM.