Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question So I am going to buy a Vetiver... which one should I buy?

Ok title says it all. I have tried Creeds Original Vetiver (not bad but a little uninspiring) and Floris Vetiver (sample vial) and Gurlains (not sure I like the top notes) and thats about it so I am a little green when it comes to vetiver (pardon the pun!).

What do you suggest and why?
    Last edited by r2s; 5th November 2007 at 04:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: So I am going to buy a Vetiver... which one should I buy?

Fragonard Vetyver

http://www.fragonard.com

Why? Fragonard is high class stuff!
    Last edited by gregmech26; 5th November 2007 at 04:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

All I can tell now is please don't buy Lanvin Vetyver. It does not last.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

My favorites are Annick Goutal and Etro Vetiver. No citrus top note in either and lots of raw vetiver. Carven's Vetiver is similiar to the Etro and much less expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Creed's Vetiver 1948 and Herrara's Sensual Vetiver are good ones imo.

Good luck...

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

If you want really raw, masculine, power-vetiver I would suggest Villoresi. I'm craving a full bottle.

A favorite of mine is Vetiver Hombre by Adolfio Dominguez, which is more of a spring & summer scent - very fresh-barbershoppy, complex rather than putting the vetiver at the forefront. I'm addicted to it.

I also find L'Occitane's Vetyver amazingly good. Warm, pleasant, distinct vetiver with a very well executed subtle oriental base that really brings out the best in the root juice. Excellent value.

Etro's Vetiver is also very nice. Pretty strong, accenting the woody aspects, a slightly synthetic thing going on which works very well here, though.

Another summery one, which is really great is Comme des Garcons Vettiveru. Both raw and creamy, Indie_Guy's review nails it.

These five are different enough from each other to warrant having all in one's wardrobe
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Frederic Malle - VE - Pleasant, office and all around scent
    Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver - Strong bitter opening, masculine, long lasting vetiver scent (Agree with the-good-life).
    MPG RdV - Old formulation. This one is pretty raw, earthy, can take some time to get used to. Take it or leave it scent.
    Last edited by Omega Man; 5th November 2007 at 04:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver - Strong bitter opening, long lasting vetiver scent
    MPG RdV - Old formulation. This one is pretty raw, earthy, can take some time to get used to. Take it or leave it scent.
    yes and yes, haven't tried the Frederic Malle, but it's probably next on my list

Post Thanks / Like

Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver is the best one out there in my opinion, it is a somewhat raw vetiver compared to the typical designer ones, but is still stylish enough. It's the longest lasting of the niche vetivers I've tried so far (though I haven't tried the MPG one yet). Unfortunately, it is expensive.

Etro Vetiver is even rawer, but does not last as long.

Roccobarocco Vetiver is the designer vetiver closest to the above two that I've come across.

If you want a cheaper, fresher more refined one that projects to high heaven and lasts the longest, you can't go past Azzaro's Pure Vetiver, though it is much unloved around here for some reason - but I think it's great, particularly for warm weather wear.

Lanvin Vetyvr smells pretty good, but I have no idea where the vetiver in it is supposed to be, as I have difficulty detecting it.

A real cheap vetiver that smells pretty good is the Italian Malzia Uomo, which is sold in lots of places down here, and everywhere in Italy.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Buy Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver!

Vetiver fragrances vary greatly in style. I tend to divide them up into heavy/earthy and light/citrus styles of vetiver. Earthy vetivers are raw, smelling of earth, dirt and roots, while light vetivers have a little more citrus and usually are vetiver fragrance w/o the earthy rooty elements.

My favorite earthy vetiver (and favorite overall) is Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver - a totally unique but very earthy vetiver. Another really good but lighter earthy vetiver is Editions Parfum Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire. But the best overall is LV Vetiver, in my opinion.

A very light more refreshing vetiver scent is Comme de Garcon Vettiveru - a splash on that is very light, fresh pure vetiver. Also on the light but more green side of vetiver fragrance are: (1) Sel D Vetiver by the Different Company and (2) Mugler Cologne.

You can not go wrong with any of these.

Post Thanks / Like

Although it strikes me as far more than a vetiver fragrance, Parfumerie Generale's Querelle is worth investigating. Penetrating, spicy bite mixed with an earthy, rootsy, sexual undercurrent.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll second Buzzlepuff.. Vettiveru (thanks for the sample, Mike!) is really fantastic. It wears closely but has surprisingly good longevity. You can also get it pretty cheaply for the smaller (125ml) spray bottle through luckyscent. I'm pretty sure I'll get a bottle within the month.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I would go with Vetiver Extraordinaire. The name says it all!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can get your hands on Pecksniffs Vetivert then go for that. It's brilliant stuff!
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: So I am going to buy a Vetiver... which one should I buy?

Try the sampler 6 pack, from the Perfumed Court,before you buy a full bottle of something you may not like! My favorite Vetiver,happens to be Carlo Corinto.

There are so many good vetivers...
    Vetiver Extraordinaire-- expensive but smells like it. Has a weird ozonic note that smells like a rubber snorkel and diving mask baking out in the hot sun-- oddly addictive!

Azzaro Pure Vetiver- Like Renato says, this one doesn't get much love around here-- I think it's pretty good. It's not going to bowl one away with vetiver, but rather it displays vetiver more as a texture than as a subject. Many fragrances do this-- the vetiver doesn't come across naked, but rather lends a matte, suedelike textile sensation to the way the fragrance rubs your nose. Azzaro Pure Vetiver goes for this texture. Another fragrance that use vetiver notes for this effect is Kenzo's KenzoAir.

Comme des Garçons Vettiveru-- I really like this one. It has more of a natural vetiver character than some of the others. It's a good balance between the raw and the refined. It goes on fresh with a dose of citrus and a feeling like fresh, polished leather. It quickly turns to a nice salty dry skin scent that's like dried bamboo and bubblegum. You might want to chew on your arm when you wear it.

Guerlain Vetiver-- A classic. So much has been said. Go look at the reviews.

Creed Vetiver (1948)-- I just received this and I'm so torn up about it. On one hand it's incredibly sublime. One of the best smelling fragrances out there. Blended to the point where it achieves that synthesis where the sum of the parts is so much exponentially more than the parts themselves ( I just got a bit "Marks_Carlton" there! ). Unfortunately, I think the longevity is subpar. I'm going to give it time, because there are many fragrances (especially Creeds) where I have been wrong in assuming poor longevity. It probably does last on the skin, but tragically it's likely one of those scents that becomes invisible to the wearer. Aside from longevity issues, this is definitely one of the the greats in the Vetiver Hall of Fame.
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 6th November 2007 at 07:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to show some love for Santa Maria Novella Vetiver. So round, full, and grassy... seems to bloom as it dries down. Awesome!!

Route du Vétiver for dirty, earthy vetiver; Vétiver Extraordinaire for all around outstanding vetiver (but only if price is not an issue); Guerlain's old formulation vetiver for all around vetiver goodness (but take care here if tobacco's not your "thang").
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 5th November 2007 at 08:20 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Route du Vetiver by MPG - because it's dirt and brittle wood notes mixed with the vetiver are unique, dark and unlike anything you've smelled.

Vetiver Extraordinaire by Frederic Malle - Indieguy described it perfectly above. Unbelievable stuff. If I remember correctly, Frederic Malle himself wears this.

Vettiveru by Comme des Garcons - vetiver for when you just want something light, airy and uncomplicated - but well made nonetheless

Vetiver Tonka by Hermes - vetiver root and incredibly cuddly and sweet doses of burnt sugar, making it a vetiver gourmand which is kinda weird but it works

If I had to pick one only...I'd pick the Vetiver Extraordinaire.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't like Guerlain Vetiver's top notes (is it the tobacco?), give Guerlain Veteiver Extreme a wiff! All the vetiver and very little citrus and tobacco.

I will 3rd Azzaro's Pure Vetiver. While it may not be the best example of a vetiver, it's still good in it's own right.

Annick Goutal and Etro are among the most dry and dirty. I have some pure vetiver oil and these are pretty close to it.

The new 2007 (or is that old) formulation of Carvin's Vetiver may be a little hard to find right now, but is awsome stuff! Not much talk abot it here yet, but I thnk it will become a favorite!

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Yeah, it really depends on what type of vetiver you're after (as well as your budget). However, if you're open to all suggestions, it has to be Vetiver Extraordinaire.

Post Thanks / Like

I ran across Azzaro's Pure Vetiver at a TJ Maxx in DC yesterday for $15 but didn't buy it because of the less-than-stellar reviews. Perhaps I should reconsider?
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys some great suggestions, it's excellent to hear from so many of the basenoters whose opinions I really respect (I wont embarrass by naming names!).

Ok so at this point it is coming down to a death match between:

Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver Vs Editions Parfum Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire

Not picked the winner yet but Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver has taken the first few rounds!

Damn you Basenotes... what started off as a whim for 1 decent Vetiver I can now foresee as a new fragrance odyssey..... oh well they say its more about the journey than the destination. Strap me in, point me in the right direction and watch me go!
    --------------------------------------
    I can see me purchasing a few more Vetivers than I had planned!!!
    Last edited by r2s; 5th November 2007 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

r2s,

Let us know which one you get in the end. I'd be very interested to know your thoughts on these two.

Happy sniffing!

Post Thanks / Like

A huge vote here for Lorenzo Villoresi's Vetiver! If it's vetiver you want, this is the one to go for. I love it even more than MPG's, which is also terrific, although it sounds like they've changed that one. I never saw the appeal of vetiver until I smelled the LV. I also agree with Michael that Querelle is worth a look for vetiver lovers, although it's not a vetiver dominated scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    Try the sampler 6 pack, from the Perfumed Court,before you buy a full bottle of something you may not like! My favorite Vetiver,happens to be Carlo Corinto.

Excellent advice. Vetiver fragrances can diverge widely.

At one stage I had about 35 vetiver fragrances in my wardrobe. I have almost sold them all off. I seem to have developed an aversion to most vetiver fragrances for no apparent reason. Of the two or three that I am keeping, able to keep, Carlo Corinto Vetyver is my favorite. It's one that you should at least try if you can. There's nothing like.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 5th November 2007 at 11:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

STOP!!!!

have you read this thread

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...=vetiver+redux

from Wicozani?

Essential basenotes!
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

I've sampled many listed on this thread and settled on LV Vetiver a couple years ago as my fav. I've never worn it in public though. Vetiver dominated scents seem too radical to wear in public for me. But, I do love the citrusy, grassy, smokey, woody concoction as a private indulgance. Lately though, it annoys me for some reason. I hope it's not permanent. My aversion is not quite at the level of scentemental's though. I just recently received a bottle of Fahrenheit 32 from a generous Basenoter and am extremely happy with its vetiver/vanilla dry down. This one I'll have no problem wearing in public. And now that I've discovered a vetiver frag that I'm comfortable with in public, I'm going to be on the lookout for vetiver/sandalwood/tobacco combos.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 6th November 2007 at 12:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

One vetiver that you can wear in public is the reformulated and reintroduced 1957 Carven Vetiver (in the modern square grrenish bottle) which is a wonder. Not terribly strong, and somewhat smoky, it is urbane, sophisticated fragrance that despite its somewhat tame (comparatively speaking) projection, is still speaks (not shouts) vertiver. Good for dress or casual, it has heaps of character and does not smell like any other vetiver fragrance.
    I too love LV and VE but for now, the Carven is absolutely fine, and I think with a different aspect on par with tehm , at half the price of LV and a third of VE. Currently I see no need to furtively seek out THE BEST vetiver, I have an excellent one.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 6th November 2007 at 12:40 AM.

I got here too late, but I don't think you should make any decisions without smelling Lalique's new Encre Noire. That is the "dirty" style vetiver, a little smokey, but dries down very naturally grassy. I love it. And they're selling it in stores so you won't have to pay shipping and have to wait (always the worst part, we all know) for it to arrive

And thanks Hurch_Duckfinder for reviving that old post! That was great!
    Last edited by nthny; 6th November 2007 at 12:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    I got here too late, but I don't think you should make any decisions without smelling Lalique's new Encre Noire. That is the "dirty" style vetiver, a little smokey, but dries down very naturally grassy. I love it. And they're selling it in stores so you won't have to pay shipping and have to wait (always the worst part, we all know) for it to arrive
    I tried Encre Noir in Vicenza six weeks ago, along with six other scents, and thought Ho hum. But while driving back home some four hours later, it was by far the stand out scent on my wrists and I determined to buy it next time I saw it. The only problem was that, despite all my looking, I never found again in any other town I visited before I left Italy.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post

Creed Vetiver (1948)-- I just received this and I'm so torn up about it. On one hand it's incredibly sublime. One of the best smelling fragrances out there. Blended to the point where it acheives that synthesis where the sum of the parts is so much exponentially more than the parts themselves ( I just got a bit "Marks_Carlton" there! ). Unfortunately, I think the longevity is subpar. I'm going to give it time, because there are many fragrances (especially Creeds) where I have been wrong in assuming poor longevity. It probably does last on the skin, but tragically it's likely one of those scents that becomes invisible to the wearer. Aside from longevity issues, this is definitely one of the the greats in the Vetiver Hall of Fame.
    The absolutely most beautiful, nearly miraculous, fantastic fragrance in the world, with almost no longevity whatsoever. On me it was gone like a dream or a mirage in twenty minutes. Heartbreaking, but there it is....

Malle VE. It is fairly linear but beautiful, balanced, warm and not cloying. It is the most wearable and likable vetiver... or I could push you to the earthy, rooty, darkness that is MPG RdV... my evening favorite which, believe it or not, gets me the most 'that is a sexy scent' comments.

Is Carlo Corinto Vetyver available? If so, where?

Post Thanks / Like

One more vote for Adolfio Dominguez Vetiver Hombre.. recently bought it and couldn't be happier
    Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    I ran across Azzaro's Pure Vetiver at a TJ Maxx in DC yesterday for $15 but didn't buy it because of the less-than-stellar reviews. Perhaps I should reconsider?
    You certainly should! I own it and I have no regrets... I bought it even after reading many of the rather negative reviews it got... I smelled it on a paper strip.. then sprayed some on my wrist.. loved it.
    Last edited by Amit; 6th November 2007 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

Ok... phew... I think the list below covers all suggestions made (please do correct me if I have missed one) I think I will buy the winner of the death match first... and then start making my way through this little lot!

Lorenzo Villoresi's Vetiver!
    Adolfio Dominguez Vetiver Hombre
    L'Occitane's Vetyver
    Lalique's new Encre Noire
    Carven Vetiver
    Carlo Corinto Vetyver
    Guerlain Veteiver Extreme
    Route du Vetiver by MPG
    Vetiver Extraordinaire by Frederic Malle
    Vettiveru by Comme des Garcons
    Vetiver Tonka by Hermes
    Santa Maria Novella Vetiver
    Azzaro Pure Vetiver
    Creed Vetiver
    Pecksniffs Vetivert
    Parfumerie Generale's Querelle
    Sel D Vetiver by the Different Company
    Etro Vetiver
    Roccobarocco Vetiver
    Vetyver by Fragonard
    Last edited by r2s; 6th November 2007 at 10:13 AM. Reason: updated list

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: So I am going to buy a Vetiver... which one should I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by r2s View Post
    Ok title says it all. I have tried Creeds Original Vetiver (not bad but a little uninspiring) and Floris Vetiver (sample vial) and Gurlains (not sure I like the top notes) and thats about it so I am a little green when it comes to vetiver (pardon the pun!).

What do you suggest and why?
    Follow my advice and buy VETYVER by Fragonard and you will be happy.
    I am sure you will not regrett !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    Follow my advice and buy VETYVER by Fragonard and you will be happy.
    I am sure you will not regrett !!!!
    Added to my test list

Post Thanks / Like

Givenchy recently reintroduced Vetiver is also worth sampling. It's a light vetiver with opening notes of coriander and a sandalwood basenote. Well made and long lasting. And according to Osmoz France, Lubin is launching Le Vétiver, which is described as a wintery vetiver.
    Last edited by Apis; 6th November 2007 at 12:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok... phew... I think the list below covers all suggestions made (please do correct me if I have missed one) I think I will buy the winner of the death match first... and then start making my way through this little lot!
    Haven't you left out Goutal's and Lanvin's and Malazia Uomo?

A word of advice - when you test them don't go by the initial smell alone. Spray some on your wrists or back of your hands and see if they're still there with some strength 3 hours later. I find that many of both niche and designer vetiver scents are often fairly short lasting on me relative to average normal scents. The old Carvens vetiver had fairly poor longevity, as well as the old Guerlain's Vetiver EDT whereas, curiously enough, the old Guerlain's EDC had very good lasting power.

Don't waste money on scents that have little longevity.

It would be funny if by the end of this exercise you decided that vetiver wasn't really your thing after all.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 6th November 2007 at 12:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Guerlain Vetiver Eau Glacée (Vetiver Frozen) is another vetiver I found to be very wearable but it's a little difficult to find. Probably worth the search if you're into vetivers. Sample available at fragrancex.com

<edit> I take that back. It seems it's not so difficult to find. Googling "vetiver frozen" pulls up several online shops that claim to have it in stock.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 6th November 2007 at 02:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post

It would be funny if by the end of this exercise you decided that vetiver wasn't really your thing after all.
    Renato
    Dont think my wallet would find it funny! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    <edit> I take that back. It seems it's not so difficult to find. Googling "vetiver frozen" pulls up several online shops that claim to have it in stock.
    Cool I will have a look
    Last edited by r2s; 6th November 2007 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like

Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver Vs Editions Parfum Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Two excellent choices.
    How can you pick one without sample vials?
    My advice? Get samples of all of the ones mentioned in this thread (plus Montale Vetiver des Sables, too.)

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Two excellent choices.
    My advice? Get samples of all of the ones mentioned in this thread (plus Montale Vetiver des Sables, too.)
    I cant argue with any of these but if pushed i'd go for the Villoresi i've owned a full bottle of that and i've a full bottle of the montale and i've had a large sample of the VE ,the problem for you is where to get it from in the UK .

Post Thanks / Like

I like vetiver very much

Three unique, of great quality, but pricy vetivers:

F.Malle Vetiver Extraodinaire
    Creed Original Vetiver (soapy)
    Hermes Vetiver Tonka
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) F. Malle 1-19 2) Chanel Bel Respiro 3) TF Noir de Noir 4) Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel 3) Dominique Ropion

Post Thanks / Like

Today I'm wearing my newly arrived Sel de Vetiver and HOLY WHOAH is it all that and a bag of chips. Vibert's reference point of single malt scotch in his review of this frag is strangely apt. A little smoky, a little earthy, a WHOLE LOTTA VETIVER, and a touch of something that almost smells like rose overtones, though none seem to be listed in the notes. Maybe it's one of the other florals listed that I'm picking up on, but it's just quiet enough to be divine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Two excellent choices.

I am hunting down samples now, Found one for the VE just need to find the Villoresi!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rentboy View Post
    Today I'm wearing my newly arrived Sel de Vetiver and HOLY WHOAH is it all that and a bag of chips. Vibert's reference point of single malt scotch in his review of this frag is strangely apt. A little smoky, a little earthy, a WHOLE LOTTA VETIVER, and a touch of something that almost smells like rose overtones, though none seem to be listed in the notes. Maybe it's one of the other florals listed that I'm picking up on, but it's just quiet enough to be divine.

Sounds very tempting! Perhaps another for my list?!
    Last edited by r2s; 6th November 2007 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rentboy View Post
    That 'something' that smells like 'rose overtones' sounds like the Bourbon geranium. To me, my nose commonly confuses geranium with rose.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac