Code of Conduct

Default Settling Down...For Now

I am embarking on a journey into a completely new realm...the realm of having a signature scent.
    Yes, I know, I'm a complete lunatic. I'm definately torn on the decision, but I want to try it out. I want to try to attach a scent to the next 6 months or so of my life.
    My monetary situation makes my decision easier--I have multiple hobbies and limited money.
    Anyways, two days ago I ordered a 100ml of Sequoia, so that will be my signature scent. I will still toy around with my samples and very occasionally wear something else, but I will for the most part be a one-scent guy.
    It is in some ways arbitrary that I picked Sequoia, which makes the whole situation a bit weird. It is arbitrary in the sense that it is not a holy grail scent for me (I don't have one), and I just as easily could have picked Egoiste, Bois d'Argent, or maybe a month ago or in a month something else altogether.
    The deciding factor was that every time I wore Sequoia from my now defunct decant I immensely enjoyed the scent experience and also simply had good days, which I guess are intangibles one should look for in a signature scent.
    The last time I had anything close to a signature scent was when I wore A*Men for two months straight two years ago. I actually found it fun to have a signature scent back then, so hopefully I'll enjoy it again this time around. I'll let y'all know down the road how things are going.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Settling Down...For Now

Good luck thegiraffe - sounds like a extremely hard road for any Basenoter to walk, but Sequoia is a wonderful, sparkling scent and should work beautifully. Remember, Sequoia is one of the CdG's that's being discontinued...so make sure you have enough post-signature scent, for the future.

Report back with your experience(s) also.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Good for you, G!
    Around here, the ethos is not "less is more" - more like Much Much More is More. And I've normally been your typical rotate fragrance every day type of guy.

But I'm starting to think that I might have a sig, finally; whenever I have such a thought, the name that comes up is Egoiste. Maybe I'm just a monstrous egomaniac, and I've finally noticed!! I was lucky enough to get a big bottle of that just recently. I'm also coming to the conclusion that despite being very interested in niche stuff, I can be perfectly happy with very little of it. And my wallet thanks me for that.

I know you've tried a lot of stuff, and I look forward to seeing how you make out with this plan. I admire someone who tries a different path.

Cheers, Dave

The_Giraffe, I hope it all goes according to plan - you're pretty brave!

Yeah, I've reached a point where I taken my wardrobe as far as I can (for now). Unless there's some astounding new releases within the next few months (or the discovery of some excellent scents I previously overlooked) my wardrobe is hardly going to change. As for signature scents, the one that comes closest is L'Air. It's just so damn versatile and I tend to reach for it more than the others (but that's not to say I like it more than the others). In hindsight, it's a good thing I purchased two 100ml bottles of the stuff when I did.

Let us know how it goes.

I have a signature scent-- - - - - - plenty of them!

This is crazy talk.

STOP THE MADNESS. :bounce:

Sometimes you just have to stop indulging in bottle after bottle and decant after decant. Its good to settle down and enjoy what you already have (especially when you have amassed a large collection).
    -

I think you have the right idea giraffe - it's a great thing to just enjoy one scent for a long time. You really get to know it and appreciate it in a way that you can't do when you're flipping around trying new things all the time and rotating every day, or five times a day...
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

I sincerely admire the ascetisim inherent in testing the strength of your will against the base desire of your animal nature, but I, for one, am far too fond of discovery to make the sacrifice.

I know how you feel..I went through this phase..I don't know about sticking to one scent...but I have a very tiny collection..12 bottles, but only wear 4-6 in rotation at a time (some are seasonal)....hope you enjoy your thing.

BTW, whats the update on the Red Series going away...I've stocked up on Kyoto, but should I go out and get the Sequoia as well?....is it really happening?

It would be a victory for me if I even went a couple of weeks with just one scent. I've actually been considering trying it lately, just to see how much more I can learn with such consistent exposure to one fragrance. I have a feeling that my impression of the fragrance would be much more profound than what I get from the blitzkrieg my nose goes through now with a scent change (usually) twice a day.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I'm doing the same thing. I've decided to settle on a signature scent, or 3 at the most (1 cold weather, 1 summer, and 1 special occasion scent).

I've felt like this ever since I've gotten into making my own blends. I'm getting pretty good at basic perfumery and I find myself enjoying my own creations more than many of the commercial fragrances I have. So right now my main signature scent is a sandalwood cologne I'm working on, followed by Le Labo Rose 31. They actually smell pretty good layered together, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Remember, Sequoia is one of the CdG's that's being discontinued...so make sure you have enough post-signature scent, for the future.
    If that's the case then I'm giving up on Comme des Garçons. It'll be an enormous suckfest if they dicontinue the Red and Incense series. They need to put me in charge of their fragrance division and I'll make things happen.

As head of marketing for CdG parfumsPARFUMS, the first thing I will do is put the Luxe Series on ice...

Then I'll get down to business. I'm coming out with this: Series 9: Incense New World. It will be five new incense fragrances based on the incenses of the Americas. I haven't researched the different regional incenses, but I'm sure there are at least five intriguing incense/ritual scents that can be found between Alaska to the tip of South America.

Then as a secondary act-- I'm going to rerelease the five original scents of the Incense Series in special "prestige" packaging. Each fragrance will be packaged in its own unique bottle that reflects its inspiration. Avignon will be presented in a goth styled flacon. Zagorsk will come in an antiqued metal flask inside a pine box. et cetera.

Then I'm going to come up with a really crazy idea for series ten... Like Series 10: The End of Time , or something like that. Go for a real Sci-fi bent and let the perfumers get really crazy with their concepts.

I really want to be in charge of Comme des Garçons. It sounds like they're running out of ideas. I'd whip them into solid shape in no time.

I'm sorry but Luxe suxe!

Sorry to hijack the thread... Good luck David. I think you made a good choice with Sequoia. Let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 6th November 2007 at 08:41 AM. Reason: typo

Talking Re: Settling Down...For Now

Hmmm ... Interesting thread ,, In the late 70's I had a signature scent as well ,, A bottle of Old Spice that lasted for over a year but then thats all i could afford being a teenager .. I still love using the stuff but like many others I couldn't and wouldn't limit myself to any particular one ! ,, when you grow out of your signature period grow into a revolver .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I am with you on this. I recently put all of my fragrances away and have been wearing only Silver Mountain Water. When this one is up, I plan on choosing another from my wardrobe and sticking with that, with perhaps little variation for evening wear and the like. Just about everyone around me who wears a scent is pretty consistent with one--they seem to all have signatures. I actually prefer this to switching every day, as the scent really seems to grow on me and I am able to pick up all of the subtleties with every day use.

Good luck. I know that it might be tough for us BNers to commit to a monogamous relationship with one fragrance, especially after multiple partners (and for us who are into layering, sometimes two or more at a time ), but I have actually found the experience to be liberating and altogether quite enjoyable.

Cheers.
    You are not your perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas V View Post
    I am with you on this. I recently put all of my fragrances away and have been wearing only Silver Mountain Water. When this one is up, I plan on choosing another from my wardrobe and sticking with that, with perhaps little variation for evening wear and the like. Just about everyone around me who wears a scent is pretty consistent with one--they seem to all have signatures. I actually prefer this to switching every day, as the scent really seems to grow on me and I am able to pick up all of the subtleties with every day use.

Good luck. I know that it might be tough for us BNers to commit to a monogamous relationship with one fragrance, especially after multiple partners (and for us who are into layering, sometimes two or more at a time ), but I have actually found the experience to be liberating and altogether quite enjoyable.

Cheers.
    I really like this idea, both how you put it now and how The_Giraffe explained it at the start. I've toyed with the idea of doing this, but it enver lasts long. Might try again

Respect. I could just as well try to hold my breath for six months. I wouldn't mind wearing three different perfumes in one day, that's the kind of polymorphous frag pervert I am .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

You are a brave man. Long a believer in the ideal of a sig scent, I am eager to know how your adventure unfolds.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I think you're sticking your neck out too much. It won't last, believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Remember, Sequoia is one of the CdG's that's being discontinued...so make sure you have enough post-signature scent, for the future.
    Is there anything to substantiate this?

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    Is there anything to substantiate this?

TNMA
    A Basenoters conversation with a CdG SA - thread here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=199400
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Thanks Mike. Interesting; I spoke with my peeps at Luckyscent and they vehemently deny such things. I wonder if such items are only being discontinued in Europe.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)