Code of Conduct

Unhappy Something's wrong with my Knize Ten!

Okay, I know I'm a perfume newb. However, I also know there is nothing wrong with my nose.
    A while ago I ordered a bunch of samples from The Perfumed Court. One of them was Knize Ten, which I absolutely loved. I then proceeded to order a big bottle of Knize Ten from Perfume Bay, which arrived last night.
    Something, somewhere, has gone wrong. The two scents do not match, despite their similarities. There is a noticeable difference between what I got in the sample and what I smell in the bottle, and it's a difference that does not make me happy.
    The stuff in bottle is a sweeter, milder, blander version of what I wanted, to the point where it's something I would not wear at all. All the interesting notes I bought it for are gone or altered.
    I'm not making accusations against anyone, and even if I were to do so, my main suspicions would be aimed at the company that produces Knize Ten, not the two suppliers I've ordered from.
    Has anyone else had this problem?

Default Re: Something's wrong with my Knize Ten!

Just to check; exactly what does it say on your bottle label? Did you order the toilet water?

Quote Originally Posted by 1holegrouper View Post
    Just to check; exactly what does it say on your bottle label? Did you order the toilet water?
    Sorry for the blurriness of the pic, but here it is:

Maybe the sample was Eau de Cologne. The big bottle is Toilet water.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubert View Post
    Maybe the sample was Eau de Cologne. The big bottle is Toilet water.
    What's the difference? And more importantly, if that's what the sample was, where can I get the cologne? I'm upset that I wasted 100$, but I'd feel a bit better if I knew that sample scent was out there somewhere...
    Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    What's the difference? And more importantly, if that's what the sample was, where can I get the cologne? I'm upset that I wasted 100$, but I'd feel a bit better if I knew that sample scent was out there somewhere...
    Thanks for your help.
    Knize Ten comes in EDT/Toilet water which is their strongest strength. The reason I asked about your bottle earlier is that I thought it might be the deoderant spray or the aftershave splash. From the picture it looks like you have their strongest stuff for which you overpaid BTW. My question is now on the sample. Was it truly Knize Ten? We don't hear of fake Knize Ten's out there so I think that your sample may be something else and that, whatever it is, is what you really like? Perhaps another decant of K10 from a Basenoter would help solve this mystery.
    Last edited by 1holegrouper; 6th November 2007 at 03:07 PM.

Knize Ten comes in EDT/Toilet water which is their strongest strength. The reason I asked about you bottle earlier is that I thought it might be the deoderant spray or the aftershave splash. From the picture it looks like you have their strongest stuff. My question is now on the sample. Was it truly Knize Ten? We don't hear of fake Knize Ten's out there so I think that your sample may be something else and that, whatever it is, is what you really like?
    Possibly, though it would have to be a similar cologne. The change I notice most is in the top notes: the "bottle" Knize seems to be lacking them, and jumps straight to the incense. The "sample" Knize had a very odd leathery top-note, and in general was a more strongly leather scent.
    The only way I can describe it is this: the sample Knize was like a male Tabac Blond, the bottle Knize like a darker Cuiron. It's not a bad fragrance, it's just not quite what I wanted. Weirdly, the two smell more similar on paper testers than on my skin.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 6th November 2007 at 03:16 PM.

You may have the gift (and sometimes curse) of a tremendous sense of smell. The type of application can sometimes effect the way a cologne is presented. You may be able to distinguish the difference in the spray applicators where the "stuff" is the same. Try spraying both on a cotton ball and apply to each arm and I would bet it then smells the same.

Edited to add; your sample sprayer may be outputting more/spray and that is why it seems stronger to you. If it is not a sprayer then your application of it is more than what you are spraying with the regular K10 bottle. Just my $0.02
    Last edited by 1holegrouper; 6th November 2007 at 03:26 PM.

Who has bottled the sample? Knize or Perfume Court? Is Knize Ten printed on the bottle and/or the package?

Maybe somebody at Perfume Court who bottled the sample confused Knize Ten with Knize Two or Sec?

I would be willing to bet that the bottle from Perfumbay is probably old.

You may have the gift (and sometimes curse) of a tremendous sense of smell. The type of application can sometimes effect the way a cologne is presented. You may be able to distinguish the difference in the spray applicators where the "stuff" is the same. Try spraying both on a cotton ball and apply to each arm and I would bet it then smells the same.
    Okay, now I feel a bit silly. You're right: they're the same thing! Thank you so much, I might have gone looking for something I already owned...

Glad to have helped. Knize Ten can be two different colognes depending upon how much is applied.

A lot of times, the initial spray(s) from a bottle that has been sitting for a while is a bit off. Spray just a tad out and it'll turn fine. I also tip bottles that have been sitting for a while a few times to mix them or shake them very gently.
    Thankfully, this worked out for you.
    I would love to try the other scents from Knize as well.

Just bought a bottle 50 ml here online in The Netherlands.
    Bottle and packaging though looks different than the one you see normally (like is to be seen in picture above posted by Sugandaraja). Toilet Water is written in the middle of the bottle and the logo on the package is lacking at the right down side. On google images you (almost) only find the normal ones and on some sites it is said that the packaging of K10 never has been changed?! I just hope that it's not again a reformulated one.
    Is there perhaps anyone who knows more about this K10 change?
    Last edited by Slayerized; 20th July 2011 at 10:05 PM.

It looks now like this:

I really have nothing to add, except that it was funny seeing Sug's post calling himself a newb!

Gotta try some K10 one of these days. So much sampling, so little time!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

@LiveJazz: Maybe he was a newbie in 2007.....?

I also know way more than 2 years ago..........................too bad I cannot update my wardrobe as the link does not work.

Anyone knows something about the new Knize Ten bottle/packaging??

^ I know, sometimes it's just fun seeing little pieces of BN history! I have no doubt that the bottle you received is legitimate, if you're worried at all about that. That a fairly subtle packaging change, and actually I kind of like it.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Yeah but the strange thing is that there is nowhere anything to be found about this change (also not on BN), except that K10 already has been reformulated already at least once........................I am not worried about its genuinity but only if it's reformulated (the juice) again as the bottle and packaging definitely are! The smell is like it is written in the reviews (so I am happy anyway, lol) though I don't know the smell of the original.

Fortunately, packaging changes don't always mean reformulations. Since I've never smelled the original K10, the one from the past few years, or the one in the new bottle, I really can't be of assistance, but maybe someone has smelled it from the new bottle and the old and can chime in. I'm glad you like it, at least!

Thanks Jazz@ You probably (for sure) know 100x more about fragrances than I do but I can assure that if you like leather you should check K10 out if you're able to get it over there.................you won't regret (see also reviews about this scent).

Someone over here who has the new bottle of Knize Ten as well? (see posts above)

Holy undead threads! I think this may have been my first or second post on this forum. Nostalgia moment.

Can't help with any issues about Knize Ten, though, as I traded it away years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I really have nothing to add, except that it was funny seeing Sug's post calling himself a newb!

Gotta try some K10 one of these days. So much sampling, so little time!
    My first thought as well
    Smellin good